Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-13-2003, 08:00 PM   #1
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough
Default Breaking News...Rangers sign a pitcher?

Jamie Newberg is reporting that the Rangers are close to signing Brett Tomko. In his news flash he stated, "Former Reds GM Jim Bowden just said on ESPN News that a deal between the Rangers and righthander Brett Tomko is very close to completion."

Not a Cy Young guy, but a good signing for the Rangers.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2003, 09:08 PM   #2
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Breaking News...Rangers sign a pitcher?

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Jamie Newberg is reporting that the Rangers are close to signing Brett Tomko. In his news flash he stated, "Former Reds GM Jim Bowden just said on ESPN News that a deal between the Rangers and righthander Brett Tomko is very close to completion."

Not a Cy Young guy, but a good signing for the Rangers.

If true, don't know if that's a good signing. He had a 5.28 ERA in the NL last season. Add a run for coming to the AL, two more runs for coming to the Rangers, and we have have an 8.28. Seems about right, given the Rob Bells, Chan Ho Parks, and Jay Powells who Texas normally signs.
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 01:33 AM   #3
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

They signed a pitcher.....be glad.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 03:03 PM   #4
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Maybe we'll get lucky - lord knows we need a little luck.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:40 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Breaking News...Rangers sign a pitcher?

sorry..but the difference between scoring in the AL and the NL is not a run.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:03 AM   #6
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
sorry..but the difference between scoring in the AL and the NL is not a run.

Oops! You're totally right.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Man, that gap has narrowed in the last few seasons. Head was stuck in the 90's when the gap was much wider....

But what will it take for them to attract any top FA pitchers? Are they all wary of coming to Arlington because it's a hitter-friendly ballpark, so they want to protect their ERA's? If so, is it physically/financially possible for them to move the fences back and make it more pitching-friendly? If the best pitchers don't want to play for the Rangers simply because of their ballpark, that doesn't bode well.
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:01 AM   #7
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: mercury_rev
But what will it take for them to attract any top FA pitchers? Are they all wary of coming to Arlington because it's a hitter-friendly ballpark, so they want to protect their ERA's? If so, is it physically/financially possible for them to move the fences back and make it more pitching-friendly? If the best pitchers don't want to play for the Rangers simply because of their ballpark, that doesn't bode well.
I think a lot of the problem with Texas going after pitchers is the heat. Pitchers are the only player who works HARD in a game and it is frigging HOT in the summer. Why sign with a team where you know that in a high percentage of your games you are going to be sweating your ass off? Unless the Rangers overpay they will never attract a top notch pitcher.

Why do you think Houston has a retractable dome?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:10 AM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
I think a lot of the problem with Texas going after pitchers is the heat. Pitchers are the only player who works HARD in a game and it is frigging HOT in the summer. Why sign with a team where you know that in a high percentage of your games you are going to be sweating your ass off? Unless the Rangers overpay they will never attract a top notch pitcher.

Why do you think Houston has a retractable dome?
Heat -Schmeat.

Houston has a retractable dome because the Houstonites are accustomed to watching events indoors and won't have it any other way. Period.

Rangers being unable to sign pitching has little to do with the heat. It has everything to do with that vortex over home plate that launches sure fire outs over the wall.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:32 AM   #9
Max Power
Banned

I respectfully disagree. Would YOU rather do your job in a hot non-air conditioned building or a nice air conditioned building? Assuming the money is the same of course.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:20 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
I respectfully disagree. Would YOU rather do your job in a hot non-air conditioned building or a nice air conditioned building? Assuming the money is the same of course.
I lived in Houston for three years (i'll never get those three years back). They were also the same 3 years they were debating building a new football arena; debating and building a new football arena, and debating and declining to build a new basketball arena (there was a later vote where it passed). In Houston, the retractable dome thing is about the heat but at the same time it isn't. They are conditioned for domes and won't tolerate anything else. It isn't too hot to play football or baseball outdoors, they are conditioned to believe it is too hot to watch football or baseball outdoors. Also, unless you have lived in Houston, you have no idea how much it rains; there is a freaking monsoon season.

And as to whether I'd like to "rather do your job in a hot non-air conditioned building or a nice air conditioned building."-I'd choose the latter. if I were a nuclear technician, I'd choose the place where the floor wasn't covered in marbles; just like a pitcher doesn't want to pitch in a park that had a wind tunnel running through it. Are you debating that point?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 01:05 PM   #11
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I gotta agree with dooby that damn gold club makes balls just fly out of the park. The Rangers need to address it, because I believe it truly hurts them when trying to get pitching.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote