Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future
Default Are the "Mavs" going to survive this?

IF the Mavs lose this series (and that is a big IF, as a non-mavs fan, I'd put the odds of the Mavs losing this series at about 50 to 60% right now... if they can get their collective heads out of their collective asses and REMEMBER that they are the more powerful team, then a 3 win roll is a piece of cake).

But IF they lose this series, is there any chance that the Mavs as we know them will survive? Or will the forces for destruction be just too damn strong? After last year, losing in the finals, it seemed obvious that this team was damn close and just needed some minor (VERY minor) adjustments to put 'em over the top. ANd then with this regular season, it seemed that they had succeeded with the minor twists, leading to a truly dominant team.

Now this.....

Frankly, it is just a bad matchup for the Mavs. Their ex-coach, who knows them best, and an opposing team that just seems perfectly set up to exploit Dallas (or perhaps more succinctly... Dallas is NOT set up to make the W-s suffer for their OBVIOUS weaknesses inside).

Add to that an Owner that thinks alot like a fan (and REALLY takes it personally when the team loses), this is often a really good thing... but not always.

Add to that a fan base whose expectations are ANYTHING LESS THAN A TITLE IS ABJECT FAILURE, because of the trajectory the tea seemed to be on. Now half of the threads on this site are about blowing up this team, because it "so obviously" has a fatal insurmountable flaw that will prohibit from ever winning a championship with its current structure (ie, there seems to be a rapidly growing sentiment that there ARE NO minor tweaks that can push this team over the hump to the top).

so, Question: If the Mavs lose this series, CAN the team survive in its current structure or will general angst an enui lead to it being dynamited as an inevitable concequence?

Can management just try to tweak this team in the offseason, or is there too damn much of a tepest to allow that? (in which case the only alternative is tnt.)

What do you think? If the Mavs lose, are the current Mavs dead?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
come_on_now

come_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the rough

Actually the Mavs have a 67% chance of winning this series believe it or not. Check out this thread I made http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29941
come_on_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
BigJoeD

BigJoeD is on a distinguished road

To be honest I dont think they can do it. They might be able to win game 5, but game 6 in oakland is gonna be tough. The Warriors match up so perfectly against the MAvs its scary. The main problem for the Mavs is not Dirk or Averys coaching, but the fact the the warriors are healthy and are not really an 8 seed. Dirk has always had problems against smaller quicker players with long arms, so you really cant count on him during this series, someone else like Terry and Howard need to step up their games if they are going to survive.
BigJoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
so, Question: If the Mavs lose this series, CAN the team survive in its current structure or will general angst an enui lead to it being dynamited as an inevitable concequence?

Can management just try to tweak this team in the offseason, or is there too damn much of a tepest to allow that? (in which case the only alternative is tnt.)
This is a really interesting question, and I confess I've pondered it already.

I think I'll save my thoughts until after tonight, at the earliest.

Also, you shoud provide a link to a dictionary anytime you're gonna use words like "ennui"...I get really ennui-ed when I have to look that stuff up.

cheers

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-01-2007 at 03:40 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote