Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of
Default Are standings irrelevant for Mavs and Spurs

Quote for Gregg Popovich:

Notes: Noting the balance of the Western Conference, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said before the game: "We're two game out of first and we're two games out of eighth.'' With the conference so close, he predicted that home-court advantage would not be as big a factor in the playoffs. "The first seed could be the eighth and the eighth seed is as good as the first and that's no exaggeration,'' he said. "None of us is better than the other. So the seeds are really irrelevant this season more than any other time.'' ...
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
quiet riot act
Banned

quiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these parts

no the maVS are irrelevant

the spurs are the defending champions ..until someone knocks them off

avery johnson is the bubonic plague
quiet riot act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Dor

Dor is on a distinguished road

The Mavs have a losing record on the road.
San Antonio is at least above 500 on the road.
Seeds may be irrelevant to them they certainly matter to the Mavs last thing we need to do is have to start the playoffs on the road.
Dor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Mavs!!!! u guys have to win this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Maybe to the Spurs. I don't get Pop's logic though. It would seem since the seedings are so close that you would actually need homecourt if you wanted the best chance to advance. Its probably irrelevant to the Spurs because they're the champs. The Mavs don't fit in that boat.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
RonMexico

RonMexico can only hope to improve

The Spurs are an old team. They're going to need that crowd behind them because they may be able to get out of the first round but who's to say they can survive a complete run without HCA. Last team to do that were the 95' Rockets. Possible but improbable.
RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

dunno, mavs are (if i counted correctly) 10-10 vs the other top 8 in the west (7-2 at home,3-8 away). San antonio is 10-11 vs the top 8 (8-2 at home,2-9 away). From those numbers you'd say that hca matters a lot. but we all know playoff basketball is different. Its slower, you only concentrate on one opponent and you obviously care to win and you can get confortable away from home in the other teams arena.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

HCA can matter, but it's overrated. All you gotta do is win 1 game on the road. Even the Mavs with their awful road record can do that.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

The underdog thing could help us if we aren't an emotional wreck. But we used to be the underdogs. Once we've become the overdogs is it possible to take on the role of underdogs, or is the pressure already there either way now?

I don't care about seeding this year with everything being so close. I just hope we get a good matchup. With Golden State looking like a 7 or 8 seed this year, I'm glad we aren't a 1 or 2 seed. HCA becomes irrelevant pretty quickly if you win one of those first two. HOWEVER, we need to win some games to get some confidence going into the playoffs and winning at this point basically equates to moving up the standings with how close the standings are.

Screw the Rockets streak, I'd like to play them more than any of the other top 7 teams. There are some young, inexperienced teams (albeit really good teams) at the top this year. They are only 1 or 2 games ahead too. I'm fine with those punks feeling like top dogs.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

The more veteran the team, the less important home court advantage becomes.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
The more veteran the team, the less important home court advantage becomes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmE3B-s8ow
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
HCA can matter, but it's overrated. All you gotta do is win 1 game on the road. Even the Mavs with their awful road record can do that.
From what i've seen of this team since the Kidd trade I have zero reason to believe they'd win on the road in the 1st round against any team in the West including the Nuggets who are the 9th seed. You're right that all you have to do is win 1 game on the road but once you go down 2-0 that's a hell of a whole to climb out of. You then have to win 4/6 games against a team as good or better than you.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LTnq268y2ms
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 AM   #14
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Maybe to the Spurs. I don't get Pop's logic though. It would seem since the seedings are so close that you would actually need homecourt if you wanted the best chance to advance. Its probably irrelevant to the Spurs because they're the champs. The Mavs don't fit in that boat.

He's just saying that standings don't matter b/c all the teams in the west are close to even when it comes to talent.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #15
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

The standings will matter quite a lot if Pop's Spurs don't make the playoffs.

Not that that's likely.

The Mavs on the other hand...
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:58 AM   #16
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
From what i've seen of this team since the Kidd trade I have zero reason to believe they'd win on the road in the 1st round against any team in the West including the Nuggets who are the 9th seed. You're right that all you have to do is win 1 game on the road but once you go down 2-0 that's a hell of a whole to climb out of. You then have to win 4/6 games against a team as good or better than you.
I'm not saying the odds aren't against them. But they can win one road game. And if they do, look out.

Hell, the Warriors road record last year was fairly awful. They came in, won game 1 in Dallas, and completely put a 67-win team on the edge. Dallas can do the same thing. They're not guaranteed to win anything, but there's no team they can't beat.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 03-22-2008 at 02:59 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:10 AM   #17
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Z4KjVeWsU
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:31 AM   #18
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
I'm not saying the odds aren't against them. But they can win one road game. And if they do, look out.

Hell, the Warriors road record last year was fairly awful. They came in, won game 1 in Dallas, and completely put a 67-win team on the edge. Dallas can do the same thing. They're not guaranteed to win anything, but there's no team they can't beat.

Well I think had the Warriors played anyone else in the 1st round they probably don't advance. They've been beating the Mavs for the past two years lol. Not that they have the Mavs number or anything I just think the Mavs don't match up well with them. Not to mention they were the hottest team in the league at the end of last season. I'd like to see the Mavs do the same and I thought they would when they started this home stand and it looked damn good until the Lakers came to town. I guess its not too late to get on one of those runs but it sure would've been great to see it during this home stand. I'd like to believe they can just flip the switch and turn it on come playoff time but I can't believe that after coming off of a 1st round exit.

Quote:

He's just saying that standings don't matter b/c all the teams in the west are close to even when it comes to talent.
I get what he's saying but that seems like a good reason to believe why home court advantage does matter. Everyone is so good in the West and good teams usually take care of business on their homecourt especially in the post season.