Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default interesting topic

Don't you just love the thread title that tells you absolutely nothing about the thread? Anyways, any comments on the Arenas situation where he pulled a gun on Crittenton?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Don't you just love the thread title that tells you absolutely nothing about the thread? Anyways, any comments on the Arenas situation where he pulled a gun on Crittenton?
Wait, Murph, shouldn't you have posted this is in the "General NBA Watching Thread?!?!" Or at least started a thread titled "The Official NBA Off Court Troubles Thread." That way when Zach Randolph gets busted for his next DWI we won't have to clog up the board with these threads!!!!!

DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS TOPIC IS "THREAD WORTHY!?!?!"

Just kidding.

For real, it just shows you that many athletes are idiots. How else can you explain it? Imagine finding out Dirk pulled a gun on JJ Barea? We all know that is not going to happen. Although that whole Crysal Taylor thing was troubling.

The biggest loser here is the Wizards, who are on the hook to this guy for $111 million. Crazy, I just read an article on ESPN.com touting Arenas as the "Most Improved Player" of the year. I'm serious!

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

doesnt this break his contract or something? so couldnt this end up helping the wizards.
certainly a crazy situation.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

NBA: where keeping it classy happens

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

If it breaches contract, then they could save A LOT of money. If the team had a chance of success, it would be extremely disadvantageous to lose a "star" (?) for nothing, but seeing as how the Wiz are the most dysfunctional team in the league, it might be a boon for them to shed his salary and start the rebuilding process. Shedding 16mill from this year's payroll (plus taxes) and 97million over the next 5 years would be significant, although would not put them under the cap unless they used it as a first step toward rebuilding. That would suddenly put Jamison and Butler on the block so they could get into the sweet spot w/ cap space.

If Arenas gets voided, I could see it making waves around the league. I'd just hope that if they did get rid of Arenas and started a fire sale on all their longer-term contracts that we could get in on some Butler.

On the other hand I could see them keeping Butler as their 3, letting Miller, James and Oberto expire and begin building, and using their lottery pick for a big man and building around Foye with cheap pieces

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-01-2010 at 03:02 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
If it breaches contract, then they could save A LOT of money. If the team had a chance of success, it would be extremely disadvantageous to lose a "star" (?) for nothing, but seeing as how the Wiz are the most dysfunctional team in the league, it might be a boon for them to shed his salary and start the rebuilding process. Shedding 16mill from this year's payroll (plus taxes) and 97million over the next 5 years would be significant, although would not put them under the cap unless they used it as a first step toward rebuilding. That would suddenly put Jamison and Butler on the block so they could get into the sweet spot w/ cap space.

If Arenas gets voided, I could see it making waves around the league. I'd just hope that if they did get rid of Arenas and started a fire sale on all their longer-term contracts that we could get in on some Butler.
wizards are looking to rebuild (finally) they already said they are talking to everyone and looking to trade anyone on their roster.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

great take Erica, excellent post Murphy.

Do NBA contracts have "character" clauses? I wish David Lord would weigh in here
about this. I think it is illegal to even possess a handgun in Washington DC.? but
I could be mistaken. Gilbert is an idiot, pulling a gun on someone - wow. The guy
I feel for is Antawn Jamison, he is a classy guy.

found this after some "google-ing"..................

The standard NBA player’s contract contains a “good moral character” clause.
This clause allows a team to terminate a player’s contract if the player’s
conduct and actions do not comport with standards of good morals and
citizenship.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/jclc...573.Parlow.pdf

I like the word "comport"

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 01-01-2010 at 06:02 PM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Just hold your mouse over the thread title and a box will show you the first few words of the post.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Or better yet just click on it and actually read.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I demand an immediate return to the original team name!

someone give us an appropriate photoshop

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 01-01-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Or better yet just click on it and actually read.
Every goddamn time I forget what the thread topic was?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Dirka, I was actually answering Murph's first question. It really isn't that hard to just open the thread and read the post. I mean, seriously, do you also require all your mail to have am appropriate title on them before you will ever open them up? I seriously doubt you do.

As for the topic, if I was Crittenton I wouldn't have worried too much. Arenas's "chukker" mentality would require him to have a buttload of bullets before he ever actually hit anything.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
.....if I was Crittenton I wouldn't have worried too much. Arenas's "chukker" mentality would require him to have a buttload of bullets before he ever actually hit anything.
genius!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the gun show was mutual so Crittenton wasnt exactly the victim.

And to answer Bayliss, even if Arenas went 7-26, Crittenton would still be in pretty bad shape.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #15
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Does this mean Arenas is available?
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #16
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

from DMN

The Mavericks, like everybody else in the league, were disturbed about the news that Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas reportedly showed his guns during an argument with teammate Javaris Crittenton.

Arguments, and even fights, are not uncommon among teammates throughout sports. Ups and downs of a long season, competition for playing time and other factors can cause emotions and tempers to boil over. There have been players that have thrown barbells at teammates.

But this is different.

"This is a whole other level," Kidd said. "That's why they have that sign when you walk into every locker room in the league: no weapons allowed."

(see bottom of the article)
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....3e00a976.html
Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #17
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

If Arenas is available we have to pull the trigger. (lol)
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #18
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

Arenas suspended indefinitely
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4802267

NEW YORK -- The NBA has suspended the Washington Wizards' Gilbert Arenas indefinitely.

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game," commissioner David Stern said in a statement Wednesday. "Accordingly, I am suspending Mr. Arenas indefinitely, without pay, effective immediately pending the completion of the investigation by the NBA.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Overreaction...it's a freaking UNloaded gun...no big deal.

But I already posted my thoughts in the unofficial/official Arenas/NBA/Guns thread...

By the way, interesting perspectives as I read through the various posts.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote