Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-25-2001, 06:36 PM   #1
fish

fish will become famous soon enough

Gang
As you may be aware, we're starting a new daily radio show in Dallas on XTRA Sports 1190. We launch Tuesday the 29th, from 2-6 pm following Jim Rome. I have my vision for the show, of course -- and it's based very mucn on the orginal concept we started with back on KLIF in 1995: Sports people, sports issues, diverse contributors and diverse takes, sports information presented in an entertaining way, humor that maybe pushes the PG-13 envelope but still allows you to listen in the car when you pick up the kids from school, respectful of and inviting to ... everyone and anyone who "brings something to the table'' intellectually.
So...
What am I missing? What do you want more of? Less of? Will we be missing the boat if we don't spend an hour talking about some actress' breasts? Should we do an hour a week reviewing last night's episode of "Sex And The City''? Do we need to be coarse to get you to listen?
And besides the obvious -- you want more Mavs -- help, if you will, be being specific: Who do you want to hear? What do you want to hear from him? Besides the Mavs, what's next on the list?
The humor thing is a big issue for us (at DallasBasketball.com and XTRA Sports 1190). It'd be a lot easier to quit posting photos of Del Harris and starting putting up Anna Kournikova pix. And our viewership might even increase, at least temporarily.
But is that what it needs to be? Do we have to say ASS every other sentence to be funny? Does it matter to you if you can listen to a show that your wife also enjoys?
I hope you get my drift here.
What is it you like and dislike about sports talk radio, what is it you need and don't want from sports talk radio? What should we steal from elsewhere? What should we avoid?
In short. .. A year from now, how do we make it so XTRA Sports 1190 at least owns a button on your car radio?
Thanks for your consideration
Fish
Old 05-26-2001, 08:17 AM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fish. A couple of observations from the peanut gallery.

1) Talk sports. Don't talk about movies, or girlwatching, or what you had for breakfast. I currently only listen to Norm, Galloway, and Cooperstein. Why - they talk sports. The Ticket rarely talks sports (except Norm), so I rarely listen to it.

2) Less teasers. I am willing to give your show a try, but please cut back on the teasers. I remember listening to your show once on KLIF where you had a teaser about a Cowboy story I was interested in. You tease the story when you went to commercial break and you would tease when you got back. Then you would spend the next 10 or so minutes talking about something else. Then you would tease the story again before going to commercial. This went on for an hour. The Cowboy story was a very good one and worth the wait, but every time you went to commercial you made it out like you were going to talk about it next.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 09:03 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'll flip over and listen to you during commercials for the hardline.
wil that help?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 09:06 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry fish, the hardline talks the talking game, baseball. they also know their football and basketball. and besides, corby is funny. They don't talk stupid crap like horse racing. maybe i'll flip it over when they're talking about that show on hbo, but that's about it. 2-6 won't be good for you. maybe if you could have your show up against the Hot Spot or something. that way the ratings would come a bit easier.

good luck
Old 05-26-2001, 10:10 AM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

If fish talks sports then the hardline will be my #3 option during that time slot. Hardline = Juwan Howard to me.
Old 05-26-2001, 10:47 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

the hardline knows their sports.
they're #1 in this market and they will stay #1.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:03 AM   #7
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Corby's married to my ex-girlfriend of 5.5 years, Julie...

Actually like the dude though...pretty funny guy.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 10:00 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

fish - is there a link so the last radio ratings for the DFW area. I remember a story in the Morning News that the ratings for the Ticket had unexpectedly dropped, but I can't find that story anywhere. I think the story was written by Barry Horn.
Old 05-27-2001, 05:22 PM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The ticket fell off the face of the earth to something like 17th in the market. Its pretty funny. I remember when KLIF did their restructuring, and Norm moved to the Ticket, his listeners would call up the Ticket's morning show pissed off that their was no sports radio on in the mornings any more. Dunham went on a tirade and chewed out a caller. He said something like "When our ratings drop below KRLD, we'll change the way we do the show.. until then you'll have to put up with it." KRLD is now WAY ahead of the Ticket in the Arbitron. I wonder if Dunham and Miller is going to change their show up at all. I gotta say I wouldn't mind if the Ticket dumped them gave Norm the morning slot again. Unfortunately the Ticket doesn't have that much class.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 05:29 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

On the humor thing.. I think it is VERY important to keep humor in the show. My main problem is that I don't find the hard line very funny. Plus, I'm just not interested in listening to an hour long segment about a show that I don't even watch. Is HBO paying these guys to talk about the Sopranos? What a joke.

Old 05-28-2001, 09:38 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

hey, i'm not gonna argue with anyone about dunham and miller. they suck, norm's ok, bad radio sucks, just not as much as dunham and miller, ...just like the hardline.
the hot spot sucks pretty bad also. i'm sure if the hardline won up agains rhome a few years ago, they'll do pretty well against fisher also
Old 05-28-2001, 10:59 AM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

Yeah, the Ticket really needs to put Norm on in the morning. I have a feeling he's gonna get destroyed by Rome. There will always be a market for the hard line, even if a real sports guy like Fisher goes on opposite the show. What could really hurt the hard line is if Russ Martin from 105.3 becomes popular. He seems to appeal to the same type of listener.
Old 05-28-2001, 01:28 PM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

"What am I missing? What do you want more of?"

Country Music [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 02:26 PM   #14
MFFL
Guru

The Hardline's real problem is Cooperstein - he's real hard core sports. I've listened to Cooperstein and Newey and they are very good team. The Ticket's worst worst show is that damn Wet Spot - I hate those guys. They know almost nothing about sports and they're not very interesting either.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:01 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

i'm with rob.
fish, just play country music and do try and talk sports, then you'll have me.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:09 AM   #16
iluvdirk

iluvdirk is on a distinguished road

hey guys... i just want to speak in the behalf of all the woman who love watchin the mavs.Im 15 but very, VERY passionate about the mavs,and i know my stuff. So just as long as you talk about them for more than half the show im listening. Dont talk about how the Rangers pitching sucks... WE ALREADY KNOW! Just give us some juicy details about the Mavs, and you've got my ear next to the speaker. MFFL
---------------------------------------
dirk... willst du mich heiraten??
iluvdirk is offline   Reply With Quote