Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #1
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jason Terry moves to the Two spot

probably discussed about before...but i havent seen an official/semi-official announcement til now...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...wire&type=lgns
------
Update: Coach Avery Johnson has plans to move Terry off the ball this season, according to the Dallas Morning News. Plans are to have Terry play permanently at the 2, with Devin Harris and Anthony Johnson sharing duties at the point guard spot.

Recommendation: A definite position could mean a huge year from Terry, who has had to sacrifice much of his offensive game in the name of point guard duties during his previous years with the Mavericks. Expect Terry's offensive numbers to climb at the 2.
-----

Think Devin is ready for the PG slot? or should we stick with Anthony Johnson for more experience? I do expect Terry to handle some PG duties still...a combo guard for sure...25% PG and 75% SG sounds about right. Terry's pick and rolls with Dirk work better than with Devin because he can obviously hit the outside shots better.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
Purple&Gold

Purple&Gold has a spectacular aura aboutPurple&Gold has a spectacular aura aboutPurple&Gold has a spectacular aura about

Not surprised, but i dunno man Devin Harris is better suited for the 1 so we'll see
Old 09-20-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice

so we will have 4 sg`s? does anyone think that stack and buckner will be happy with 10 minutes a game? no way !
Old 09-20-2006, 05:44 AM   #4
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folterkammer
so we will have 4 sg`s? does anyone think that stack and buckner will be happy with 10 minutes a game? no way !
1. Ager doesn't count (yet)

2. Stack will see additional minutes at the 3

3. Buck WILL be happy with 10-12 mins a game

4. Unfortunately injuries will happen (special candiates: Stack, Howard)
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
1. Ager doesn't count (yet)

2. Stack will see additional minutes at the 3

3. Buck WILL be happy with 10-12 mins a game

4. Unfortunately injuries will happen (special candiates: Stack, Howard)
The other possibility is that, as some have suggested, a trade is coming to clear a bit of the logjam.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
The other possibility is that, as some have suggested, a trade is coming to clear a bit of the logjam.
I can't see any trades that would do this.

Stack, I would think would have to be the one to go.

Who could you bring back that makes that mid-level money, or has cap space?
Maybe to Charlotte, if they have the cap space?

Stack packaged with Damp could bring a high dollar Big, only the only one that might be available is Chris Webber, and I don't see Nelson Sr, Jr, or III signing him even if he only had two years left on his contract.

I agree that it is a possibility, but trades at this point to clear space seem pretty hard to do. I just entered one in the trade forum, but I don't think it could happen either.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

TERRY at the 2? We finally don't have to debate this point any longer - back to the trade scenario fantasy?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-20-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

webber is laughable.

the closer the season gets the more vindicated I feel about my 1.Harris 2. JT prediction for 07.

if KG's reminder of other's suggestion (confusing) is correct, I'd be on the same "get Stack out" bandwagon that I've been on for the past 18 months or so...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome news
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

No surprise... now if Johnson starts then I will be surprised, and a little sad.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #11
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

This is what I expected. Good to see Harris/Terry starting.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't consider this news. It sounds like Yahoo picked it up from the DMN article where David Moore was speculating on how the lineup might shake out.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Just don´t see how AJ can say he´s playing D ball AND moving Terry to the SG.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
Just don´t see how AJ can say he´s playing D ball AND moving Terry to the SG.

"Rotation"

Old 09-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #15
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

This is utter nonsense.

Jason Terry has NOT been moved to the SG position.

Avery Johnson did not make any such decision or announcement.
David Moore [Dallas Morning News] did not say any such thing either.

Some copy boy at yahoo sports misread an article in the DMN and took it to mean more than it actually said. And now you guys are being sucked in even farther.

It is true that JET may indeed spend more time playing off the ball this year than last. In fact the Mavs built their roster this off-season to allow that option. And I am on record as saying I think the opening day starter at the 2 is most likely to be JET.

[Note that I completely disagree with D Moore on who else will be the most likely competitors for the other starting guard spot alongside Terry. Here's the link if you want to read the details. http://www.dallasbasketball.com/more...?id=3632&NAV=1 ]

But because some of us are speculating that JET may play more off the ball this season, that doesnt mean he has been moved by Avery to SG as his "position." At this point, no decision has been made about who will start, who will play where, and so on. And the season is a long one, so I suspect even if I was accurate and JET is announced in the starting lineup alongside D Harris on opening day, there will be tons of minutes that he is playing as the PG on this team during this season.

Note also one other important point: I think there is (by design) a very fuzzy distinction between the guards in the Avery system. He likes to play "combo" guards. If he is playing two combo guards, who is the SG and who is the PG? Both. Neither. Who cares. So since JET is a combo guard, any label as a PG or a SG is likely to be somewhat inaccurate.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks DL.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #17
Underdog

I don't think we'll see permanent starters at the 1, 2, or 5 this season... We know we're contenders, so we'll have to use heavy rotation to keep our role players healthy for the playoffs... Plus, I'm sure injuries & several players' ability to play more than one position will provide enough minutes for everyone (maybe even our rookies - or at least Ager...)

Sorry, but speculation is simply a by-product of the waiting game - we're all guilty of it...

Old 09-21-2006, 01:16 AM   #18
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Thanks for pointing this out DLord.

Dang, I was hoping we'd have a final decision.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:32 AM   #19
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

jackpot
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #20
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
But because some of us are speculating that JET may play more off the ball this season, that doesnt mean he has been moved by Avery to SG as his "position." At this point, no decision has been made about who will start, who will play where, and so on. And the season is a long one, so I suspect even if I was accurate and JET is announced in the starting lineup alongside D Harris on opening day, there will be tons of minutes that he is playing as the PG on this team during this season.

Note also one other important point: I think there is (by design) a very fuzzy distinction between the guards in the Avery system. He likes to play "combo" guards. If he is playing two combo guards, who is the SG and who is the PG? Both. Neither. Who cares. So since JET is a combo guard, any label as a PG or a SG is likely to be somewhat inaccurate.
if the playoffs are any indication at all, I'd say AJ's desire to move JT around is beyond speculation...and as far as the guard spots being "fuzzy", I don't care at all what they call it, as long as JT and DH are seeing floor time together I love the offensive potential. If it turns out to be a poor move I'll be the first to admit it...

remember, when they were on the court last season, Harris would guard whoever the better offensive opponant was...so many nights it might be something like Harris is 1 on O and 2 on D.

either way, where there's smoke...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 09-21-2006, 12:26 PM   #21
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

I have some concerns about Devin Harris and Jason Terry playing together in the backcourt.

I know Devin played well against the Spurs in the playoffs, but if you look at 82games.com's best 5-man lineups for the Mavs last year (http://www.82games.com/0506/0506DAL2.HTM) you see that our most effective lineups were with Terry at point and Griffin or Daniels at the 2.

Most effective lineups:
1. Terry-Griffin-Howard-Nowitzki-Diop
2. Terry-Daniels-Howard-Nowitzki-Dampier
3.Terry-Griffin-Howard-Nowitzki-Dampier
4. Terry-Stackhouse-Howard-Nowitzki-Diop
5. Terry-Daniels-Stackhouse-Nowitzki-Dampier

first Harris, Terry lineup
12. Harris-Terry-Howard-Nowitzki-Dampier

What do these stats mean? Are they not useful in this context? I know stats don't explain everything, but it seems like these stats indicate that we need a better defender in the backcourt and that we have a serious defensive liability when Devin and Jason handle the backcourt together. Maybe Devin will improve enough to make up for this?

Last edited by WurzburgBorn; 09-21-2006 at 12:26 PM.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

We really need to bring back the moon.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #23
Underdog

Looks like FOX Sports is biting on the rumor too:

FANTASY NEWS (Thu. Sep 21, 2006)

Devin Harris - #34 - Point Guard - 6'3" - 185lbs

News: Jason Terry will move to shooting guard for the Mavs this season, with Anthony Johnson and Devin Harris fighting it out for the starting point guard job.

Impact: Harris has been shooting about 600 jumpers a day trying to develop an outside shot. We think the two may end up splitting time this year, but as of now, Harris should be drafted before Johnson in fantasy leagues.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #24
sike
The Preacha

whatever the outcome...JT's numbers should be higher

Old 09-22-2006, 10:17 PM   #25
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
whatever the outcome...JT's numbers should be higher

Hopefully everyone's numbers will be higher...

Old 09-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you have to define him as moving to the 2 spot. You just have to think that DH is starting, and they will just switch off. Who cares? Both are gonna get big minutes so players like Buckner, Stack, DG can deal with it.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #27
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
I don't think you have to define him as moving to the 2 spot. You just have to think that DH is starting, and they will just switch off. Who cares? Both are gonna get big minutes so players like Buckner, Stack, DG can deal with it.

Yeah, like I said - I think the 1 is going to be a lot like the 5... Diop starts, but Damp gets the most minutes, and hopefully DJ will be able to squeeze some gametime in as well...