Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all
Default D'Antoni Thinks Mavs Do Not Improve In Off-Season?

I am guessing he is referring to D'Antoni when he says " one western conference general manager" since he seems to be the NBA source for most of the quotes. Do you agree with his assessment?

I hope we sweep the Suns this season!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBA Insider: Bonzi's greed will cost him millions

Web Posted: 09/29/2006 01:27 PM CDT

By Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

While Bonzi Wells was averaging 23.2 points and 12.0 rebounds as the Sacramento Kings threw a first-round playoff series scare into the Spurs, most of us presumed he was setting himself up for a lucrative summer that was certain to result in a long-term contract for nice money.
Turns out it was the worst thing Wells could have done just before hitting the free agent market. Buoyed by such gaudy playoff numbers, Wells and his agent, William Phillips, grossly misread the market. They turned down a five-year offer from the Kings that would have paid Wells nearly $38 million.

According to someone well informed about those negotiations, this was because Wells and Phillips thought the 30-year-old shooting guard was worth something closer to what Peja Stojakovic got from the Hornets, $64 million over five years.

But there was a problem with the Wells-Phillips strategy: Unless there is an interested team with Peja-type dollars available under the salary cap, simply saying the Wells is worth money nearer to that level is like spitting into the wind.

On Wednesday, Wells signed a two-year deal with the Rockets that pays him $2.1 million this year. The second year, at Wells’ option, is for $2.4 million, and his new agent, Bill Duffy, told the Houston Chronicle that Wells is virtually certain to opt out of that year.

Thus, Wells and Phillips win this year’s Latrell Sprewell Award, which goes to the player and agent whose greed and stubbornness cost them the most dough.

You may recall that Sprewell turned down a three-year contract extension from the Timberwolves in 2004. He and his agent, Bob Gist, subsequently were unable to find a taker for Sprewell’s services at a salary they deemed appropriate and he has not played since the 2004-05 season. That makes them the standard by which free agency miscalculations are measured.

It doesn’t take a magnifying glass to read between the lines. Wells’ dismissal of Phillips and subsequent hiring of Duffy clearly says that Wells thought he got bad advice from Pilllips.

Examining Wells’ costly decision is a convenient jumping-off point to an evaluation of how the summer’s moves have affected the power structure in the Western Conference, because his addition gives the Rockets another nice piece as they attempt to recover from a season that disappointed their fans, not to mention those of us who foolishly forecast that they would be one of the top four teams in the West last season.

Mostly, Wells gives the Rockets insurance against Tracy McGrady’s next injury. McGrady is one of the league’s best players, but he has missed 54 games over the past three seasons, mostly because of a tricky back.

The fact Wells will be in another contract year figures to keep him hungry and on the straight-and-level, too.

The Rockets also traded Stromile Swift and their first-round draft pick to the Grizzlies for Shane Battier, so they are now loaded with solid swing men. It is not absurd to see the Rockets improving by as many as 16 games, from 34 wins to 50.

Houston does not get the nod for greatest off-season roster improvement in the West, though. That honor goes to the New Orleans-Oklahoma City Hornets. Not only did the Hornets sign Stojakovic, but they made a terrific trade when they got Tyson Chandler from the Bulls for P.J. Brown (who was on his last legs) and J.R. Smith (who was in Byron Scott’s doghouse and rarely played). They also picked up free agent Bobby Jackson, a very valuable backup if he can stay healthy.

The Hornets just missed the playoffs last season.

They’ll be in the post-season next spring, with at least 50 wins.

One Western Conference general manager believes the defending conference champion Mavericks went sideways in the off-season, neither improving nor declining. I think they are marginally better with the addition of Anthony Johnson as a backup point guard and Devean George as another swing man, giving Avery Johnson tremendous flexibility in his back court.

When the Mavs open training camp on Tuesday, they will do so with four starters in place and one starting spot up for grabs. The reigning Coach of the Year must decide if Devin Harris starts at the point, with Jason Terry at shooting guard; if Terry continues to start at the point, with Greg Buckner or Devean George at shooting guard; even if Anthony Johnson starts at the point, with Terry at two and Harris as a backup at point.

The Suns, the defending Pacific champions, lost valuable power forward Tim Thomas to a free agent offer from the Clippers, but they are not sweating his departure too much. That’s because they’re expecting Amare Stoudemire to be able to play this season. Kurt Thomas, too. It may have been tough to find a lot of playing time for Tim Thomas.

The Suns added backup point guard Marcus Banks, whom coach/GM Mike D’Antoni loves for his defensive intensity. D’Antoni now has some insurance for Steve Nash and you can expect Nash’s work load to be cut back slightly. If Stoudemire is even 80 percent effective, the Suns win the Pacific for a third straight season.

The Warriors made a major off-season acquisition, too: Don Nelson. The once-and-future Warriors coach will get that team running and playing small ball, and it might even flirt with a .500 record. That won’t be good enough to get in the playoffs in the West, but they will come close.

The Nuggets spent the summer trying to corner the market on power forwards. They’ve got Nene, returning from injury, Kenyon Martin, returning from a playoff pout, Reggie Evans, returning from free agency and an embarrassing crotch grab, and Joe Smith, once the No. 1 overall draft pick. They failed to secure a shooter, however, and if you’re looking for teams that might drop out of the Western playoffs, the Nuggets are one of them.

So, too, are the Grizzlies, through no fault of their own. Pau Gasol’s broken foot, suffered at the FIBA World Championships a few weeks ago, figures to keep him sidelines until January.

How did the Spurs do in the off-season?

Despite trading Rasho Nesterovic for Matt Bonner and losing Nazr Mohammed to the Pistons, some NBA player personnel types believe the Spurs are better equipped at the center position for the Western Conference. After sitting Mohammed and Rasho Nesterovic for all but a few minutes of the seven games of the Mavericks playoff series, Spurs’ coach and executive vice-president of basketball operations Gregg Popovich clearly believed he needed to change his team’s approach in the pivot for a style of play he believes is changing, particularly in the West.

One of the Spurs’ primary Western rivals agrees.

“(Francisco) Elson will help them a little,” D’Antoni said. “They are quicker and younger. They match up better for the West now.”

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

He might be thinking differently when his team goes out of the playoffs again by these mavs.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I don't disagree. If the Mavs needed to improve this offseason surely they don't think Croshere, Buckner, George and Johnson are those improvements. The Mavs made it to the championship. A year with the same core of players will give them an improvement in itself. But I do agree that this offseason we didn't really improve. At the same time we didn't decline either and that was the goal of this offseason.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I, too, think it's a fair assessment. I'm certainly not planning parades based on marginal rotation players. The Mavericks went sideways because that's about the only place they could go, except for down.

The Mavs' core is set, for many years now. Diop and Harris are really the Mavericks best hope for improvement in the short term. Me, I'm pretty sure Harris will improve. I'm worried Diop will backslide. I see it as about a wash.

But, hey, when you win 60, you should be damn happy that you don't get worse. It's a cannibalistic league these days. Hard to stay on top.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:11 AM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I, too, think it's a fair assessment. I'm certainly not planning parades based on marginal rotation players. The Mavericks went sideways because that's about the only place they could go, except for down.

The Mavs' core is set, for many years now. Diop and Harris are really the Mavericks best hope for improvement in the short term. Me, I'm pretty sure Harris will improve. I'm worried Diop will backslide. I see it as about a wash.

But, hey, when you win 60, you should be damn happy that you don't get worse. It's a cannibalistic league these days. Hard to stay on top.

Holy crap - I agree with Chumdawg 100%! (that's kinda scary...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Well said chummy, I think it should be called an imporvement though, even though it's only a small one. It's hard to improve a lot upon a team that won 60 games and went to the Finals.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:07 AM   #7
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs Rule
I hope we sweep the Suns this season!
We better. I just got tickets to the Mavs/Suns game on December 28th.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:59 AM   #8
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

All the Mavs did last year was add Doug "the bust" Christie and a backup center that no one wanted. All the improvement was internal. I expect more of the same this year. While the Mavs didn't add any big names, they kept the core together, dumped 2nd team guys who failed to produce, and replaced them with people who defend better and shoot better.

When you are as good as the Mavs, your goal should not be big roster changes. A major talent upgrade would also be a chemistry test, and thats unnessesary here. D'antoni, on the other hand, now has major pieces to fit in. WIth Nash at the point, that's relatively easy, but look at the other contenders. SA has new and unproven centers, Houston has the volitile Bonzi, and doesn't know if he can play well with others. Lots of potential there, but potential problems as well.

While all those guys are getting to know each other, the Mavs will be getting more comfy with DH at the point, and easing AJ and AC and DG into the lineup and defining their roles.

One thing I've noticed about D'antoni. He smirks most and sounds most confident just before he gets his butt kicked. May this please be a continuation of the trend. He'd kill to have the stability Dallas has right now... a solid core and 4 new role players that are clearly better than the ones from last year.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:29 AM   #9
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

agreed. we did not need to shake things up with our line up as nellie teams in the past were used to. we have our set group of guys and we signed players that hustle, play D, and fit into our system.

and if it was d'antoni that wrote that...he will soon find out what we knew 3 years ago..you can't win championships with pure offense.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #10
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:

Agree but Diop was actually getting MUCH better late in the season, especially offensively. He and Harris will indeed be the difference to a better Mavs team this season.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #11
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

This just in: we will sweep the Suns this 06-07 season!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like a sweep, but I'll take a sure-handed victory over a loss...

[oh, wait - duh... nobody wants to lose!]

Last edited by Underdog; 10-01-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

um... duh... LOL

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
bigdaddy

bigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these partsbigdaddy is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
This just in: we will sweep the Suns this 06-07 season!
the mavs barely beat the suns last year and that was with bell going down and the suns being without Amare. Yet the mavs will sweep the suns this year? not going to happen I' afraid

the new suns with thomas in the middle and guys like banks and jones added will be a pretty decent defensive team. It's just their system that makes them look a bad defensive team.

anyway moving on...

Last edited by bigdaddy; 10-01-2006 at 11:19 AM.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #15
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

We swapped Van Horn for Croshere. That in itself is a big improvement based on Van Horn's playoff performance last year.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #16
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
We swapped Van Horn for Croshere. That in itself is a big improvement based on Van Horn's playoff performance last year.
Exactly. And Johnson will be a huge upgreade over Daniels in terms of production on the court. (I am not talking potential because we all know Marquis has more.)

And honestly what do you expect him to say? If he says Dallas improved immensely then his job is going to be on the line because he hasn't gotten it done yet and now they have major cap issues and injury issues with Amare. And every year that they don't win means a lost year with the head of that team (Nash). So of course D'Antoni is going to say the Mavs moved sideways. Just so his team will have a chance. That's just smart politicking.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #17
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

^^ Using that logic, wouldn't he also say the spurs moved sidways?

Last edited by Mavs Rule; 10-01-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:06 PM   #18
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

D'Antoni may believe they did move sideways. But they said "some believe the Spurs improve."

One Dallas they could have just as easily said: "some believe they have improved."
Old 10-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #19
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Agreed with chum but if ask who the GM might be, I'd pick D'Antoni either, LOL. He's just an arrogant guy IMO...
Old 10-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #20
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Quote:
“(Francisco) Elson will help them a little,” D’Antoni said. “They are quicker and younger. They match up better for the West now.”
It can't get much more obvious than this that D'Antoni thinks the spurs are better than they were.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #21
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Like most here I agree with your assessment. I am, however, a little puzzled as to why you're expecting a fall off from Diop.

He's just a lively body that rebounds pretty well on the offensive end and blocks some shots while committing a ton of fouls. He should be able to do that for the next 10 years.

He's not a very good defensive rebounder and he's useless on the offensive end of the floor. If he can improve either of those aspects of his game, we'll be a better ball club.

The only way he backslides is if he gets fat again...otherwise it's all upside.

When trying to identify players who had one good year and are prime to fall off, I’d start with the ones who were in a situation where they had an inordinate amount of freedom. Marquis in 04’ and Flip Murray in 05’ (while Ray Allen was hurt) are perfect examples.

OTOH Hustle guys can always hustle.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 AM   #22
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

there is no reason to predict anything negative from Diop...

as for the rest of their moves...I see them all as imporvemenets for the needs of this team

AC > KVH (or a push at worst)

Buck > Griff

AJ > DA

Pops Vs. Josh Marshall...who knows...

but I see another year of improvement from JHo and DH....so if the chemistry stays intact...I see the offseason as a step forward...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 10-02-2006 at 01:08 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:47 AM   #23
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

I wish that I was as optomistic as D'Antoni as far as San Antonio goes. I and alot of Spurs fans were pretty critical at the moves--or lack thereof--the Spurs Front Office made this summer.

On the other hand, I did believe the Mavs improved. When you have a team like the Mavs who just went to the NBA Finals, just keeping the status quo is a huge statement in itself.

The Spurs are going into training camp knowing the team to beat will be the Mavs. Knowing AJ, he will have the Mavs programmed to think otherwise so that the Mavs will be ready both mentally and physically for another rough series with the Spurs.

MY prediction for the year:

The West Conf Finals will be between SA and Mavs.

The winner of the WCF will win the NBA Finals.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:04 AM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Said it before, say it again: the Spurs window is closing---very rapidly closing. Manu and Parker are nowhere near enough to lead them to a title. It's all about Duncan, and I'm afraid that his skills are diminishing, and very quickly.

The West these days will belong the Mavericks or the Suns or the Rockets or the Clippers or another young gun that steps up and claims it rightful place. The Spurs run, though? It's over.

It was fine while it lasted--very fine--but it's over. Sorry 'bout your luck, Big Shot Rob.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #25
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shot Rob

MY prediction for the year:

The West Conf Finals will be between SA and Mavs.

The winner of the WCF will win the NBA Finals.
I thought the winner of the WC should've won the Finals last year...all reffing gripes aside, for some reason it didn't happen. With DWade and Shaq out East, if those two cake-walk through the playoffs and get to the Finals rested, you never know what can happen.

But I'd agree that the winner of the WC should win the title. There are certainly more complete teams in the WC than in the EC, especially with Big Ben's departure from Detroit.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #26
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Said it before, say it again: the Spurs window is closing---very rapidly closing. Manu and Parker are nowhere near enough to lead them to a title. It's all about Duncan, and I'm afraid that his skills are diminishing, and very quickly.

The West these days will belong the Mavericks or the Suns or the Rockets or the Clippers or another young gun that steps up and claims it rightful place. The Spurs run, though? It's over.

It was fine while it lasted--very fine--but it's over. Sorry 'bout your luck, Big Shot Rob.
I can't believe I'm writing this, but I only see the Mavs as the team that can keep the Spurs down. Houston doesn't even belong in that sentence...they need to win a playoff series first. Suns? I guess, but last time they faced the Spurs in the playoffs, Amare went for 37 per and they still only won one game. Clippers are too reliant on old man river at the PG spot, in my opinion, and probably can't rely on Maggette to become the second stud next to Brand that would really bump the team up a level.

The Mavs were less than half a minute away from losing a 3-1 series lead to the Spurs and being eliminated. Only a huge play from Dirk and a bone-headed play from Manu prevented that (and I for one was quite glad that it did), but since Timmy got so much time off this summer, I wouldn't write off the Spurs just yet. They may not be on the rise, but they are still young enough with Parker/Manu/Duncan to challenge for the top spot. Let's just hope, for the sake of all those who dislike the Spurs, that Bonner learns nothing about hitting threes from Big Shot Rob.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #27
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cwebb
especially with Big Ben's departure from Detroit.
man, talk about destroying a great team...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #28
Underdog

Quote:

I agree that the Spurs' window is closing, but they might have a couple more years left in them before they fully lose a step (I was thinking that they might diminish last year, but veterans suchas Duncan & Finely still have a healthy spark left in their game...) Of course, that could change at any time - look no further than Shaq for evidence of what can happen when you lose a step (without Wade, the Heat would have easily been swept!)

Last edited by Underdog; 10-02-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #29
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

Chum--the window will be closing sometime--that is life. With David Robinson, we saw it with DR having constant back problem.

Last year, Timmy was afflicted with constant foot problem. Although it affected him overall, he still managed to put up major points.

This year, I look for a healthy Dirk to face off against a healthy Tim Duncan--that would be great basketball for everyone.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #30
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

The Spurs should have serious cap room in a few years shouldnt they? I read somewhere that the only players with contracts longer than two years are Parke, Manu, and Duncan. Either way they will need to rebuild without relying on Duncan as much (Manus 30 as well I believe). Parker is pretty much their future right now along with cap space.

That said I hope they dont tank this year and snag Oden!
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #31
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I have an avatar bet with someone riding on the Hornets being within 5 games of the bulls record but i wouldnt write that "they will be in the playoffs with 50 plus wins" like its some kind of fact...
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #32
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shot Rob
This year, I look for a healthy Dirk to face off against a healthy Tim Duncan--that would be great basketball for everyone.
I think Duncan was clearly healthy in the playoffs last year.

And I wouldn't say the window is over for the Spurs yet, I give them 2-3 more years tops, because Duncan still has the skills (see last years playoffs).

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 10-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #33
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I think Duncan was clearly healthy in the playoffs last year.

And I wouldn't say the window is over for the Spurs yet, I give them 2-3 more years tops, because Duncan still has the skills (see last years playoffs).

The team will start losing their step when their stars lose their step...

TIMMY!

Old 10-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #34
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

05-06 was all about how far Devin Harris could take the team.
06-07 will be all about Josh Howard's impact.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:08 PM   #35
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
The team will start losing their step when their stars lose their step...

TIMMY!

Yep, and he's still got it.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 PM   #36
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Yep, and he's still got it.

I'm watching Timmy season-by-season, game-to-game, shocked-look-on-his-face-for-being-called-for-an-obvious-penalty to shocked-look-on-his-face-for-being-called-for-an-obvious-penalty... We'll see how his health holds up...

Last edited by Underdog; 10-02-2006 at 11:14 PM.