Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road
Default How will Finley respond??

I admit I've never followed Finley all that closely in his career...so I wouldn't be the on to accurately predict how he will react under these kinds of pressures.

I do not know if he's ever played this subpar in the playoffs before and how his following games faired so I can not rely on historic knowledge that I do not possess.....I am ignorant in this aspect.

But from a personality point of view and an emotional one, to me Michael Finley is not a quiter or a choker so I do predict his play will greatly and significantly improve from here on out....will he score at will and hit jumper after jumper?? Who knows....all I can say is he will be better in all aspects...he will score better, rebound better, and defend better....

Will he go off?? I think that would be a stretch since his confidence may not be so high and he's not in an optimial offensive flow....

Finley is a smart player and he will not make the same mistakes again.....he will rebound and redeem himself outright!
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:How will Finley respond??

Finley is a great player, without a doubt. But from what I've seen in the past few years, he's also a very hot and cold player. When he's hot, he's incredible. When he's cold, well, he's still contributing but not very well. I think a trip back to Dallas will be just what he needs to get himself back on the hot streak that he was on for the last few months of the regular season.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: How will Finley respond??

Finley is done. Trade him immediately if not sooner. He may play well at home, they may advance, but Finley should not be given a significant part of the load any more.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

He was good when we were really bad and earlier in the season. He has got to be injured to be playing this bad. I don't think he should play. Give Howard, Daniels, and Najera his minutes.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:35 PM   #5
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dallas_esq
Finley is done. Trade him immediately if not sooner. He may play well at home, they may advance, but Finley should not be given a significant part of the load any more.

Finley gonna be here for awhile. Noone in this league would be dumb enough to take his contract.
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:41 PM   #6
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Originally posted by JayC.
Quote:
......... He has got to be injured to be playing this bad.
--Word on that. My same suspicion ! (even though we know Fin is streaky. Something just doesn't look right with him physically right now.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:44 PM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

If he is injured, do you think Nellie knows that?

I can't imagine Nellie keeping him in the game at the end if it was known he was hurt.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:48 PM   #8
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I don't know the answer to that U2...but a lot of very competitive guys will "minimize" an injury just to be on court during the playoffs.

Who knows the answer....but something just doesn't look right.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Finley will respond like every other jumpshooter. If he hits some shots, he'll get 20 points. If he misses his shots, he'll get maybe 10.

But he isn't going to drive. He isn't going to draw contact or put pressure on the opponent. He'll settle for 3s and fadeaways or spot ups.

And nothing has changed except we know have a legit combo guard that could and should take minutes away from him.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:36 PM   #10
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: dallas_esq

I don't like the idea of trading Fin, but maybe that would be the only way for Dirk to finally realize that he is the ONLY leader of the team.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:04 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

At this point let's only hope that Finley has more confidence in himself than the fans of Dallas do.

Is there anything more sad when fans turn on a player, especially when it sounds like they're giddy when he fails?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:17 PM   #12
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I haven't turned on Finley yet. Yes, I was a little PO'd after game 2, but he is still a great player who has made great contributions to this team.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:14 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

GREAT POST MFF!

How will Finley respond? Like the professional he is. He will respond with all his heart and will lay it out on the floor. Expect nothing less because you will not receive anything less.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:54 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really know how he will respond. He's an enigma to me. The biggest problem even for fin is that if his jumper isn't falling, well thats' about it isn't it. When he's on he's a great 3pt addition (and we don't shoot them very good this year anyway) so he's a big help.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:09 PM   #15
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
At this point let's only hope that Finley has more confidence in himself than the fans of Dallas do.

Is there anything more sad when fans turn on a player, especially when it sounds like they're giddy when he fails?
Well said MFF.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:19 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Finley will respond like every other jumpshooter. If he hits some shots, he'll get 20 points. If he misses his shots, he'll get maybe 10.

But he isn't going to drive. He isn't going to draw contact or put pressure on the opponent. He'll settle for 3s and fadeaways or spot ups.

And nothing has changed except we know have a legit combo guard that could and should take minutes away from him.
Unfortunately, you're right. But, fin's a good percentage jumpshooter for a 2 guard. So, it's about time for him to have a relatively hot to hot night.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:02 AM   #17
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

Finley isn't a sharp shooter like Ray Allen so he's not going to score 21 points on 11 shots...

Fins needs like 15-20 shots so he can get into a good flow and he'll score in the 30s with those FGAs....

I think Finley might be hurt because he used to drive and slash...he was a slasher before.....he does try and post from time to time but not nearly enough....

he's got a tough matchup as Christie is often on him.....but he will come back with avengence....

he's too good a player not to...

besides every team needs those bail out 3 point bombs...this team really needs Finley to come through because Jamison may not play significant minutes in this series....
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #18
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I think Finley is going to have two good games back home. It may be the spark this team needs to turn around this series...

For that matter, I think all the guys are going to step up big time at home.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote