Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-26-2004, 05:44 AM   #41
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Lost

Thankfully I caught most of the catch-up marathon last Saturday, and am now up to date again (now, I've only missed the 3rd episode). I haven't read any of the fan stuff or episode write ups about the series, so I don't know if this is old-hat, but did anyone else notice the polar bear in the comic book in episode 2? Strange...
Old 10-26-2004, 11:36 AM   #42
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

dang it! I still have not seen this show once.....I am woefully behind....its too late for me...."fly you fools!"

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:41 PM   #43
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

erica, that was episode 1 and 2? i think you just picked up with the last 2 episodes that played (in the re-run), not the first 2. this really is a show that, for the full effect, needs to be watched from the beginning. that could be why you didn't get into it. There's more backstory for all of those characters (for example, the revelation about locke has a lot more effect after watching the previous episodes).

but yes, the girl that plays kate is hot.

as for the comic book, evil, J.J Abrams has said that all props are intentional...
Old 10-26-2004, 03:37 PM   #44
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Lost

yeah, I read the synopses and it looks like I watched the two latest episodes

Also, dissapointingly, there is also a religious show called "lost" and my DVR recorded the last week of it instead of the tropical island soap opera.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:25 PM   #45
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, now you're starting to piss me off. i don't watch soap operas.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #46
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
I think I know why you like the show so much, BBL.

and here is an excerpt from the episode guide (episode 2)

"Shannon has found her belongings and retrieved a bikini to take advantage of the sun."

anyway, over the weekend (saturday) I watched episode 1 and 2 on ABC and it was alright. I didnt mind watching two hours of it (and Im ADD), but it wasnt phenomenal. It could get good, but it was just a little soap-opera for me. The handicapped stalker guy, the black guy and his son, the protagonist and his dad...I just didnt get into it.

PS. Dominic "Meriadoc" Monaghan is so hot.
I'm geeked up for tonight's episode...

Old 11-10-2004, 02:31 PM   #47
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

screw me for never seeing this show....what a loser....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #48
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

indeed
Old 11-10-2004, 05:45 PM   #49
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

tonight's episode is supposed to be:

MILD SPOILER BELOW

Sawyer's Backstory

MILD SPOILER OVER

this show is just keeping up a run of good episodes. the last two have not been amazing, but they've still been really good. Not much action, but a lot of character building.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:50 PM   #50
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I actually have LOVED the last couple of episodes... I really like Locke's character and he has had great dialogue with Charlie lately...

I am really looking forward to tonight's episode!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #51
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i love the development of Locke's character into a mentor of sorts. I was just saying the episodes haven't been fast-paced lately, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #52
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2004, 08:11 PM   #53
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

they need more Meri.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:03 PM   #54
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
i love the development of Locke's character into a mentor of sorts. I was just saying the episodes haven't been fast-paced lately, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
He wasn't so much a mentor tonight, as he was a dark instigator. He gave Saiid that knife and suggested that Sawyer was responsible for knocking the Iraqi down at the end of the last episode, thus helping to set the stage for the bamboo torture that later occured...
Old 11-10-2004, 10:14 PM   #55
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

GREAT episode... Saiid f'd Sawyer up...

Goodness gracious how much it must hurt to have the bamboo situation take place on your hand!!! OUCH!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:56 AM   #56
sike
The Preacha

bamboo situation???

dang it, I'm never around when theres a bamboo situation! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2004, 09:06 AM   #57
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
bamboo situation???

dang it, I'm never around when theres a bamboo situation! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Yeah... I didn't want to give up too much, but man... Just thinking about having that happen to my hand makes me cringe!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 PM   #58
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

heck yeah, locke planted the bug in sayid's head about sawyer... which to me, implicates locke. He loves this island, and sees it as a miracle. It gave him his legs back. he probably doesn't ever want to leave...
Old 11-11-2004, 01:29 PM   #59
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

*SPOILERS FOR THOSE OF YOU NOT CAUGHT UP WITH CURRENT EPISODES*

Im right there with ya BBL... I was thinking that his alibi was pretty thin too, (no one can actually attest to him skinning supper)! He is definitely, (after the Sayid/knife incident), one of the leading suspects for the bash over Sayid's head!

He is still probably my favorite character in the show early on, (mainly because I think his story was one of the best - I would have KILLED that boss of his from his past job)...
Old 11-11-2004, 02:51 PM   #60
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

For any of y'all who haven't seen this fine show, or if you have missed any episodes, here are bittorrent links to download high quality (taken from HDTV, and suitable for burning on DVD-R's) versions of them:

Lost Episode 1
Lost Episode 2
Lost Episode 3
Lost Episode 4
Lost Episode 5
Lost Episode 6
Lost Episode 7
Lost Episode 8
Old 11-11-2004, 03:58 PM   #61
XERXES
Diamond Member

i hate sawyer.

was anybody else a little disappointed in "the kiss?"
Old 11-11-2004, 04:04 PM   #62
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

man, she was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay into that kiss.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #63
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Yeah, that was a bit strange considering how frenzied she became when she found out Jack had been buried alive...
Old 11-11-2004, 04:38 PM   #64
XERXES
Diamond Member

just like a girl - pick an emotion and stick with it.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #65
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Nobody here buys into the "Purgatory" theory that everyone has unresolved issues that must be resolved? And that Locke is some kind of angel or deity? Correct me if I am wrong but there hasn't been a flashback that shows Locke was on the plane, has there?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:07 PM   #66
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, there was. In the first episode, when Jack is talking to the woman next to him on the plane. hold on, i'll find it for you.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #67
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

here's a screencap:

As for the purgatory thing, that's a hypothesis that i've read in a lot of places. It can definitely be argued, and even fits in with the title of the show, if you think of from a religious standpoint.

Personally, i don't think it is... writers have gone on record saying that everything that happens is scientifically possible... but then again, they could be lying.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #68
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I think the purgatory thing is just a red herring that the writers have thrown out into the early episodes. Incidents like the black woman telling Jack that her husband is the one who is alive, as well as the repeated statements by different characters expressing the question 'how could we have survived', all kind of point in this direction, but it just doesn't make complete sense to me.

Why would so many folks die violent, and often pointless deaths in purgatory? Why would that random passenger get pointlessly sucked into the airplane engine in episode 1? Why would the pilot get mangled and killed by the 'monster' in episode 1 if the island was purgatory? Why did the US marshall die of his terribly painful wounds in episode 3 (aside from the obvious Jack answer)? Were these all bad folks who died because they deserved to go to hell (something that might be argued in the marshall's case)? Or were they good folks who were freed by their violent, gruesome deaths to go to heaven? The violent deaths don't make a whole lot of sense to me if the island is supposed to be some kind of afterlife waystation, so in that sense I don't buy the purgatory arguments...
Old 11-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #69
sike
The Preacha

^^^^^^though it would be very clever. Without seeing an episode, purgatory (though a dubious and debated theological concept) would be a much more creative ending than Hollywood usually throws out there...

Old 11-12-2004, 04:53 PM   #70
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
WizardWorld: Paul Dini on Lost - by 'Ranger1138'

"Two clips were shown from this Wednesday's episode. One featured a funny exchange between Hurley and Charlie. Charlie believes that the large man is hording food. He bases this hypothesis on the sheer fact that he hasn't lost any weight in their time on the island. The banter goes back and forth for some time until it is mentioned that Hurley has gone down one belt notch. The second clip was very intense. It showed Sayid torturing Sawyer. This is a long scene that will definitely get that "viewer discretion is advised" box to pop up at least once or twice during the hour. The torture involves fingernails and sharp objects if anyone was curious.

After the clip it was asked if Standards and Practices had issues with the show since it was an 8PM EST slotted show. Paul said that they rarely worry about that kind of thing although they did wonder if they would be able to go ahead with the drug storyline for Charlie. ABC is fully behind the show and it rarely sends in notes to the writing team. The decision to air the show in "Pan and Scan" was the network's decision and the DVDs feature widescreen transfers of the show.

One of the original marketing plans was to release the DVD of the two hour pilot some three weeks after it aired. ABC moved on to the concept of just re-airing the show, like NBC and CBS do now, on Saturdays for those viewers who need to catch up. DVD sets are planned with deleted scenes but Disney and Bad Robot have not decided on any release dates yet. Some time last year ABC decided that they, like the other networks, needed to have a series shot in Hawaii. LOST was ABC's attempt to have a scripted or dramatic version of Survivor. Although ABC preferred to think of it as a "deserted island" show.

Paul said that each writer drew names from a hat. Three names were chosen by each writer. That writer then went off to write the character's history and back story. Paul's character's are John Locke, Sawyer and Sun [Daniel Day Kim's wife]. Paul said that Locke was based off of the real life philosopher John Locke. He also said that Locke was a strategist. He likes the thrill of the hunt and comes to see things like the game he played in episode 104 "Walkabout".

When asked if it was a coincidence that Locke seemed to be around at a character's key moment Paul stated that Locke just seems to be an opportunist. He apparently is not good or evil, however, he may play a given situation either way to gain an advantage. It was also said that the monster is sort of a reflection of yourself. The pilot saw it in horror and he was killed because he feared the monster. Locke saw the monster with true awe, therefore, he was able to survive his encounter.

The monster it's self may not be revealed totally at any point in the series. It may be, as Paul described it, "a Loch Ness Monster kind of thing". Bits and pieces of the beast will be shown throughout the series but a full reveal could prove to be anti-climatic. Still the monster will be explained at some point in future seasons.

Kate is said to have a checkered past in her character's bio. She is also wanted for multiple things other than the bits shown early on in the season. A future ep will really bring her past to the forefront this season. Jack was originally planned to be killed off in the two hour pilot. The plan was to have someone famous play him and then kill him off before the middle of the second hour. The team talked about getting Michael "Batman" Keaton, however, Paul wasn't sure if they ever made it to the point of approaching him.

Paul said that some of the other survivors will have their turn in the spotlight. Scott and Steve were introduced last week and they have some lines in upcoming shows. A new character will step up soon to help Claire with her pregnancy. Rosa's story about her missing husband will be touched upon before the end of the season.

The team tried to cast as many natives to Hawaii as they could. Production costs could get quickly out of hand if they chose a famous actor to be a side character that would eventually work their way to the main cast. They loved the idea of maybe doing this but it would cost them a lot of money to fly out an actor for a few scenes. So casting found many extras in the area who could work their way up to speaking lines if the writing team needed a new "red shirt of the week". And they really do call them red shirts. Apparently at least one main character and several minor ones will be killed off before the end of the season.

Paul also acknowledged the Buffy fans that came over to the show when David Fury came on board. Julie Bens "Darla" had spoken in the same room moments earlier and many of those fans stayed to hear Dini. Someone asked how involved JJ was with the show. Paul answered by saying that he splits his time between Lost, Alias and the new Bounty Hunter mid season replacement show for ABC. Paul knows that it will get crazier the closer they get to pre production on Mission Impossible 3.

A question was asked about the time period that seems to be mentioned on the show each week. Paul said that they want the viewer to be very aware of the amount of time spent on the island. The entire first season will take one month of pseudo island time. A new CGI company is now on board to assist with effects needed. In a lot of cases the animals used in the show are CGI due to Hawaii's restrictions on the importing of animals. CGI was used for the wild bores and the polar bear.

Paul also told story about how the extras like to feed the bores when on break. This causes them to feel sleepy later on in the shoot. The scene where Locke uses Charlie as bait was one of the scenes where the bore fell fast asleep once in the hammock like net. Mira "Babylon 5" Furlan will guest star in a very important role before the season is out. P

aul said that the plan is to keep the show's current format of story punctuated with flashbacks. There was talk of maybe doing an episode where the survivor's families were shown but it was dropped for the same reason why a story about another person washing up on the beach was dropped. The team feels that the show's strength is based upon it's focus with those already on the island. Anything else may effect the "Gilligan" factor. The team is well aware that the show will have to move beyond this focus at some point, however, that could be done in say season 3 or 4. And yes they have a loose season plan for going that far with the show.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:12 PM   #71
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

sounds like the set is really boring, with all these "wild bores" around.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:41 AM   #72
XERXES
Diamond Member

reading that excerpt got me even more fired up...

here are some questions I'll throw out there:

- Are Charlie and Sun going to hook up?

-Are there other people on the island (other than those in the crash?)

-Will the writers draw out the Jack-Kate romance forever (i.e. ross-rachel, mulder-scully, etc.)?

Old 11-15-2004, 01:26 PM   #73
XERXES
Diamond Member

and who are the dead bodies?
Old 11-15-2004, 01:37 PM   #74
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

charlie and sun? or michael and sun?

i have a feeling this show is not going to be answering any questions for a while, except for questions about the characters pasts...

they'll reveal some stuff during sweeps, i'll bet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2004, 03:48 PM   #75
XERXES
Diamond Member

oh yeah- i guess it wasn't charlie...my bad...funny, though.

i think we'll get some answers this week...
Old 11-15-2004, 03:56 PM   #76
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i have a feeling we'll get more questions raised this week than answers...
Old 11-15-2004, 04:16 PM   #77
XERXES
Diamond Member

maybe - but one question that i feel certain will be answered is "who hit sayid with the shovel...?"
Old 11-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #78
XERXES
Diamond Member

22 hours til the next episode...
Old 11-18-2004, 10:35 AM   #79
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

well, xerxes, we still don't know who hit him with the shovel. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

some questions answered, but MANY more raised. Where is Alex? What is the Black Rock? What is this sickness? What kind of scientists were they? Where is the transmission actually being broadcast from? etc.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:43 AM   #80
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I watched this for the first time last night. I got hooked pretty quickly, although it will be hard for me to watch it regularly.

I do have a question though... do they have lawn mowers? If not, how do you explain the Golf course? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

And that dude that was "captured", is he liked by the other folks... why is he not with them?