Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-18-2002, 05:24 PM   #1
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

Tough Policy
Insurance Rule Could 'Cripple' Game

By Mike Fisher – DallasBasketball.com
The future of international basketball’s relationship with the NBA – and maybe the future of international basketball itself – could be at stake. And all for the price of an insurance policy.
MAVS 2002-03 SKED
DallasBasketball.com has learned that there exists a distinct possibility that Dirk Nowitzki will not represent his native Germany in the World Games, and eventually in the Olympics, because of what is apparently a new NBA rule that requires sponsoring countries to purchase insurance policies that would compensate the athlete’s NBA team in the event of injury.
“Might Dirk not be able to play? That is correct,’’ says Wolfgang Brensheidt, the president of the German Basketball Federation. “I don’t know how we are going to solve the problem. This could kill basketball in other countries.’’
The same rule (which focuses especially on players recovering from injury) applies not only to Nowitzki, Germany and the World Games, but to every player for every foreign country in every non-NBA event. It is, up until now, a subject discussed almost exclusively in angry communications between European federation representatives.
“It could break us,’’ Brensheidt says.
Brensheidt carefully notes that Mavs owner Mark Cuban and executive Donnie Nelson have been especially helpful in trying to find a compromise solution. But Cuban tells us he sees the situation as cut-and-dried.
“There is no controversy,’’ Cuban says. “If Germany wants Dirk to play, all they have to do is buy him an insurance policy like every other team does. If they choose not to, I have no say in it.’’
Brensheidt, though, politely offers that it is not that simple. Some of the foreign countries’ basketball budgets total $2-to-$5 million annually, and an insurance policy for one athlete could cost “as much as $70,000,’’ he says. “A country like Yugoslavia, with (as many as) six NBA players on its team, does not have the economic strength to buy six insurance policies. A country like Germany paying that? That $70,000 is what our entire youth basketball program runs on. It could break us.’’
When Brensheidt suggests the rule would cripple basketball programs in countries such as his, he means that there could be a trickle-down effect from the insurance rule. In a worst-case scenario, Germany cannot afford the insurance. Therefore Nowitzki doesn’t play for his country. Without the nation’s figurehead of the sport representing the nation, youngsters will be less motivated to become “the next Dirk.’’ The sport’s popularity, financial support and talent base will backslide.
And, adds Brensheidt, “I imagine there will be some basketball federations that finally say, ‘Why work to send talent to NBA if that talent cannot come home and play for his country?’’’
If Germany doesn’t either get the money or get relief, Nowitzki and Shawn Bradley might be left off the National team. If Yugoslavia doesn’t pay for the insurance, the participation of stars like Peja Stojakovic (and Mavs prospects Mladen Sekularac and Oggy Askrabic) is at stake. We don't have information yet of how far-reaching the conflict is (does it affect Tony Parker and France? Steve Nash and Canada? Hidayet Turkoglu and Turkey? Pau Gasol and Spain?). But strip the NBA talent off the European rosters and you strip away many of the reasons for viewers in Europe – and the US – to care about international events.
“It’s completely up to them,’’ Cuban says.
“I believe we will find a way to work it out,’’ says Nelson, long the unofficial ambassador of the NBA overseas. “Certainly the NBA doesn’t want to do anything to stifle the game. And the countries themselves fully understand the need for insurance.’’
Indeed, Brensheidt says, “In Germany, we understand that the Mavericks cannot take the risk without insurance. I am proud to say there is so much cooperation with Donnie and Mark Cuban, who has been fabulous. … It’s an NBA rule, not a Mavericks rule.’’
Nowitzki has been a model representative of German basketball. He has started the Dirk Nowitzki Foundation for charity in Dallas and the Dirk Nowitzki Basketball Academy in Wurzburg. He will be a bit bothered to read that we know about his upcoming plans to sneak into a gathering of his country’s most talented teen basketball players and surprise the kids. “Dirk is a wonderful representative, a wonderful person,’’ Brensheidt says. “Kids go crazy for him. He means everything to the sport in our country.’’
Brensheidt tells the story of how Dirk always phones before the German National Team is set to travel, to check on the arrangements. He turns down the standing offer to sit in first class, because Germany’s budget will only allow his teammates to sit in economy class, and he wants to sit with them.
“’Please try to put me in an aisle seat,’ that’s all he asks for,’’ Brensheidt says.
Nowitzki himself has been frequently quoted in Germany this summer as being cautiously optimistic about participating in the World Games in Indiananapolis in late August. But up until now, we assumed his caution was related only to his ankle-surgery rehab.
“The National Team and the World Championships are very important to me,’’ says Nowitzki, whose dream is to lead Germany to qualification for the 2004 Olympics. “It’s a lot of fun to play for Germany.”
And he’ll get to play – as soon as Germany can pay.

Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2002, 05:32 PM   #2
Dirk77
Banned

I hope Dirk play's. Personally, I don't like this thing. Mabye Dirk could give them the money.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:34 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I have admit that as much as I hate insurance as a concept, I think that this is the proper thing to do. After all, these NBA teams are the ones making long term commitments to these players.

A national team paying a $70k insurance premium for a guy like Dirk isn't asking all that much. And, if the players really want to play that badly, then why don't they just pay the premium themselves? If I was Dirk, making $10 mil, I'd give $70k to play on the national team.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 05:37 PM   #4
Dirk77
Banned

exactly Rhylan. As I said, I think the player's could pay fotr it. Dirk makes 15 mill a year, not a problem, lol.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:13 PM   #5
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I can understand Germany's problem with the amount, but I also think the NBA and the Mavs are fully justified in demanding it. As pointed out, if Dirk really wants to play and Germany can't afford it, he can afford to pay it himself.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:10 PM   #6
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Maybe the costs could be sliced. One third for the team, player and country each. That would be fair. A country like yugoslavia would have to pay the insurance for half the roster. They simply can´t afford that.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 10:44 PM   #7
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Maybe the costs could be sliced. One third for the team, player and country each. That would be fair. A country like yugoslavia would have to pay the insurance for half the roster. They simply can´t afford that. >>

Fish implies its a new rule--but Cuban says 'like every other team does'. Do we know Yugoslavia's not already doing this? I realize Yugoslavia is a much poorer country than Germany, but basketball is also a much more important sport there than it is in Germany. I wouldn't be surprised if Yugoslavian basketball's budget equalled or exceeded Germany's.

Also to be considered is that the insurance rates are going to be tied to the player's NBA salary. I'm pretty sure Dirk is the first international player to get a max contract so the insurance policy for him could very well equal the policies for all the NBA players on Yugoslavia's team.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:07 AM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< I wouldn't be surprised if Yugoslavian basketball's budget equalled or exceeded Germany's. >>

Hoops, I´m pretty sure it´s much less than germany´s. Every yugoslavian player who has a little bit of skill doesn´t play in yugoslavia. They play in Italy, Spain, Greece or in the US. The yugoslavian teams only do have a chance in the euro league because the young talent keeps coming. But economicly the yugoslavian league is a lot weaker than most leagues in europe. I´m pretty sure the same goes for the national team.

A nation like spain should have the least problems to pay such an insurance. Their league is one of the most powerfull in europe (economicaly) and I think the spanish basketball association will get it´s share of the profit (like in every other country, only that the yugoslavian league doesn´t generate alot of profit).

I´m too lazy to look up all the salaries for the yugoslavian NBA players, but summed up they definitly exceed Dirk´s salary (what does Divac alone make? I don´t think he has a small contract.)
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 10:16 AM   #9
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< I´m too lazy to look up all the salaries for the yugoslavian NBA players, but summed up they definitly exceed Dirk´s salary (what does Divac alone make? I don´t think he has a small contract.) >>

Won't argue Euro-leagues with you Fidel because I'm just speculating :-) On NBA salaries though, I wasn't including Divac because he's not playing for the national team these days is he? Without Divac, Peja is the only really significant salary when compared to Dirk's max (6 years at 45 million vs. 6 years at 85 million). The rest of them are a lot smaller.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:05 PM   #10
Dirk77
Banned

I thought Dirk's contract was 6 years 90 mill?
Old 07-19-2002, 02:25 PM   #11
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< I thought Dirk's contract was 6 years 90 mill? >>

I was going off one of the sites that publishes salaries (here). The actual number for a max extension like Dirk (and Carter, Jamison, etc) signed is a percentage of the salary cap this year. That's only just been finallized and I don't know if anyone (in the media, I'm sure players' and teams' accountants have done so by now) has gone back and figured out what final figure that gives for last years' max extension guys.