Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kidd: "I want to play another year."

Jason Kidd has played in 24 career homecoming games on the road against the Golden State Warriors in his 18 seasons with the Dallas Mavericks, Phoenix Suns and New Jersey Nets.

Kidd
Yet Kidd insisted Wednesday, on the eve of the Mavericks' second and final visit of the season to Golden State, that Thursday night's nationally televised showdown on TNT won't be his last game on Oakland hardwood.

"I want to play another year," Kidd told ESPN.com.

Despite turning 39 on March 23 and struggling throughout this lockout-shortened season with various back, calf and groin ailments that have shelved him for 15 games -- including the Mavericks' previous trip to Oakland on March 10 -- Kidd says he's determined to play on to try to help Dallas add to the breakthrough championship it won last season.

Sources with knowledge of the Mavericks' thinking likewise indicate that management is determined to find a way to re-sign the former Cal star in free agency even amid the roster clearout that Dallas has planned to create the requisite salary-cap space to pursue Dallas-area native Deron Williams in free agency this summer. Kidd's most recent three-year contract expires at season's end, but he long has been regarded as one of the Mavs' point men for recruiting free agents since returning to Dallas in 2008. Sources say, furthermore, that Kidd has a good relationship with Williams from their time playing together on Team USA.

One source close to the situation, asked if bringing Kidd back remains part of the Mavs' plans, said: "Absolutely."

Furthermore, team sources say the 10-time All-Star happily would move into a backup role should the Mavs win the Williams sweepstakes.

On the current squad, though, Kidd's teammates openly have longed for his return after a groin injury forced him to sit out four games last week. Although he's generating career-low numbers in virtually every category, Kidd continues to run the Mavericks' offense with a level of precision no one else on the roster can match, with half-court execution ranking as one of the strengths that propelled Dallas past the favored Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat in two of its four playoff rounds last spring.

Kidd returned to the lineup in Tuesday night's home win over Sacramento and had seven points, seven assists and six rebounds in 22 minutes and said afterward it was "the best he's felt all season" from a health standpoint.

This is just the fifth time Kidd has missed at least 15 games in a season.

The Mavericks believe his health woes, as much as anything, have contributed to Kidd's modest averages in points (5.9), rebounds (4.1), and assists per game (5.3), as well as his career low shooting percentage (.347).

Kidd has recorded two of his 107 career triple-doubles in Oakland and has lifetime averages of 16.8 points, 10.3 assists and 6.7 rebounds against the Warriors to go with a record of 13-11. He has never faced the Warriors in a playoff game.

Thoughts? Will he accept backup to D-Will? (Thought worthy of a thread. If not, delete)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff. I'd love a team with Williams and twilight Kidd running the point.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about to post this thread... Here's my favorite bit:

Quote:
Sources with knowledge of the Mavericks' thinking likewise indicate that management is determined to find a way to re-sign the former Cal star in free agency even amid the roster clearout that Dallas has planned to create the requisite salary-cap space to pursue Dallas-area native Deron Williams in free agency this summer.
Looks like the feeling is mutual between Kidd and the Mavericks...

He'd be a ridiculous backup to Deron Willams - I can imagine a bit of a player-coach relationship, and I'd love to see them out on the floor together for some stretches.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Nobody talking about Charles and Randy ?
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Nobody talking about Charles and Randy ?
Not in a thread about Jason Kidd, no.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

It just makes so much sense. Let Kidd backup Deron and mentor him a little bit. It seems weird to talk about mentoring a veteran like Williams, but Kidd is such a generational player from a basketball intelligence standpoint that he could mentor anyone. We've even seen some of his tendencies rub off on Jet these past couple years.

There would absolutely be scenarios where Kidd could play SG next to Deron, and Kidd stays on the team and eventually transitions into a role in the front office.

It needs to happen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-11-2012 at 09:48 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

JKidd is still a very valuable piece to a contending team with his IQ, leadership and passing ability. And Kidd/Deron backcourt could even start games in my opinion. Kidd doesn't guard PGs anyways, he guards SGs and sometimes slow unathletic SFs.
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

Kidd said somewhere that he wants to play where Deron plays next season and even wants to back him up. Pretty sure this means Dallas, they just don't want to expose the truth yet.

Here it is i think: http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...%80%99-backup/

So much respect for this guy. Been a fan since his days on Phoenix and NJ. He is the reason i am a total Mavs fan now. Bless this dude. There will never be another J.Kidd.

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that means for the min.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I hope that means for the min.
Lol, Im wondering how they work out all the contracts next year...especially Jason Terry.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Lol, Im wondering how they work out all the contracts next year...especially Jason Terry.
My guess is that you work out Kidd's with a "thank you" and Terry's with a "congrats."
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
My guess is that you work out Kidd's with a "thank you" and Terry's with a "congrats."
Maybe it's just me, man. But i want the Jasons back with the Mavs next year if they can be taken for cheaps. I have very strong emotional attachments to those guys..

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

I think Kidd will probably sign for the minimum. Terry will be the tricky one.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanObvious View Post
Maybe it's just me, man. But i want the Jasons back with the Mavs next year if they can be taken for cheaps. I have very strong emotional attachments to those guys..
No question that the emotional attachments to Terry are beyond strong. That is going to be the "bitch of the bunch" this offseason. One could make a very strong argument that we never win one without him. But at the same time, he is likely on the downside of his career. He's probably the guy that Cuban thought he was bidding on--whoops, I meant to say "neglecting to seriously bid upon"--back when Nash was up in '04. And that's not even to get into whatever other designs they may have on the roster makeup.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #15
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Could pretty much means bye bye Terry. If they cant erase Odoms 2.4M they are pretty much just derons max money under cap (amnesty Haywood) and the cap team exception they should throw after a center like Asik ("come here as starter and raise your value")
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

There are two issues with Terry:

1. He's on the downside but still worthy of one last multi-year deal. The Mavs are not in a position to give this to him if Deron is here.

2. Perhaps more importantly, with Kidd playing fewer and fewer minutes, Jet's ability to play SG and not kill you defensively is fading. Kidd being able to defend bigger guards was a huge aspect to turning Jet into a full time SG. Deron is a pretty big guard himself, but I don't think he's going to be guarding a ton of off guards like Kidd did (assuming Deron is even here). He'll be able to swing over to that position from time to time, but he doesn't have the bulk, the smarts, or the respect from the refs to be able to guard Kobe or DWade with regularity in a playoff series like Kidd did.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-12-2012 at 08:10 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
There are two issues with Terry:

1. He's on the downside but still worthy of one last multi-year deal. The Mavs are not in a position to give this to him if Deron is here.

2. Perhaps more importantly, with Kidd playing fewer and fewer minutes, Jet's ability to play SG and not kill you defensively is fading. Kidd being able to defend bigger guards was a huge aspect to turning Jet into a full time SG. Deron is a pretty big guard himself, but I don't think he's going to be guarding a ton of off guards like Kidd did (assuming Deron is even here). He'll be able to swing over to that position from time to time, but he doesn't have the bulk, the smarts, or the respect from the refs to be able to guard Kobe or DWade with regularity in a playoff series like Kidd did.
I agree completely. The difference between 2011 and 2006 was that with Harris at the point, Terry's defense was abused. Harris+Bell or some other defender may have worked but with Terry at the 2, we were just bad defensively.

You probably remember as well as I do the outrage on this board over playing Terry at the 2 and the multiple threads devoted to demanding Terry be traded for an SG with size that could defend the 2 because of how often we were abused by Combo-guards and SGs with strength or size. Terry was the best SG we had but we couldnt play him because of how much of a defensive liability he was.

If we signed Deron at the PG position I think we'd be back to that same problem. If we keep Marion (which I assume we will), Marion can guard some SGs but that puts Terry at an even bigger size disadvantage. Against guys like Pietrus and Q-Rich thats fine but there are a lot of forwards that would destroy Terry with their size and strength.

Losing Terry would be losing part of the heart of this team, but money aside there are other reasons to not bring Terry back. Terry will probably get 3/18 and I don't think we can do that both because of our financial situation and because of how his defense will be exposed.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-12-2012 at 10:51 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

3/18 for Terry? The guy will be 35 in the offseason. I dont see someone throwing such deal at him. Maximum two years guaranteed...

Last edited by sefant77; 04-12-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

JKidd at 16 minutes a game to quarterback the B-team that likely will have no legit go-to guy like in his prime Terry will be great.

I also don't see why he couldn't play alongside DWill for a few minutes a game at the 2. He's big enough and if his shot is on, can help with spacing.

At 16-20 mpg, I'd actually expect him to make it through a normal regular season unscathed.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 04-12-2012 at 11:51 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
sefant77
Guru

If Azubuike could play like 2011 Deshawn (good D, knocking down the open shots) i would start

Deron
Azu (or Vince if he is still here)
Marion
Dirk
Asik (well, almost best case)

with Roddy as 6th men/scoring punch from the bench playing alongside Kidd and Deron.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

No way i want to see Carter at the 2 again.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #22
Nowitzness81

Nowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant future

Please do it in another city.

Tired of this old man shit.

The franchise needs to move on from Marion, Kidd, Terry and Carter.

Last edited by Nowitzness81; 04-13-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Nowitzness81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #23
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

And the winner for worst timing of the year goes to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzness81 View Post

Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #24
Nowitzness81

Nowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant future

When it's time to go it's time to go.

Kidd is holding us back from developing a young PG.

Let Roddy sink or swim.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #25
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Let Roddy sink or swim.
Or they could just go for Deron Williams and skip the labor pains.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #26
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:

And we'll replace all them with....??????

Guess you want this team to rebuild and trade Dirk too.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #27
Nowitzness81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
And we'll replace all them with....??????

Guess you want this team to rebuild and trade Dirk too.
I draw the line at Dirk. Even I have emotional attachments.

But I have been through this old man shit with two of my teams - Rangers and Chiefs - and it never works.

Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and take your lumps with young players.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #28
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I draw the line at Dirk. Even I have emotional attachments.

But I have been through this old man shit with two of my teams - Rangers and Chiefs - and it never works.

Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and take your lumps with young players.
You might have emotional attachments, but you seem to lack some other stuff. Yes, Carter has tailed off, but I'd love to hear the arguments though on why the franchise needs to move away from Kidd, Terry and especially Marion.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 04-13-2012 at 12:38 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #29
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

That's just it, this team is in a unique situation. Are those guys getting older? No doubt. But replacing them all with younger players puts you in a rebuilding mode. Younger isn't always better. You give up on all of them you also have to give up on any chance of a championship which is dumb when you still have a franchise player in Dirk.

That said, I have no idea what the MBT are going to actually do. I mean if you give Deron the max you probably have to cut ties with JET just from that alone. I am not 100% sure if you can keep Marion either. I'm not sure this team even wins another championship with Deron on this team because you will have to surround him with an aging Dirk and who knows who else. There's really no ideal way to handle this teams future from what I can tell. I'm glad I'm not the one to make those decisions.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-13-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #30
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Accidental duplicate post.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-13-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #31
Underdog

Quote:
The Mavs were the oldest team in the league last season and they won a ring.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
That said, I have no idea what the MBT are going to actually do. I mean if you give Deron the max you probably have to cut ties with JET just from that alone. I am not 100% sure if you can keep Marion either. I'm not sure this team even wins another championship with Deron on this team because you will have to surround him with an aging Dirk and who knows who else. There's really no ideal way to handle this teams future. I'm glad I'm not the MBT.
I'm glad you're not, too.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #33
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm glad you're not, too.
Thanks pal.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #34
cowboyuptx

cowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Let Roddy sink or swim.
OMG...........................................

Kidd isn't holding anybody back, Kidd makes everybody better...

Would you rather develop the PG of the future, or try to win another championship while Dirk is still an all-world player? I would rather win more rings, and Kidd was a difference maker in the playoffs last season...

So best case scenario, maybe you develop a PG (I promise it's not Roddy) who can give you 15-20ppg and 8-10apg, that's great, but it doesn't account for all the things that Kidd brings to the table in the last 5 minutes of the game, and that's when the game is decided... That's why re-signing Kidd is must...

Do you remember the last lottery pick PG the Mavs were "developing"? I do... I remember how upset people were about trading him for Kidd, because "he was about to turn the corner" and "Kidd is on his last leg"... How did that work out? Lets see, Harris is no better today than he was in 2006, meanwhile Kidd is one of the best and most important players for the defending Champion Dallas Mavericks!

As for Williams, bring him on! Williams is one of the greatest PG's in the game today, and Kidd would be the absolute best backup PG in the NBA... If Williams doesn't sign with Dallas, then Kidd is still the next best option... I don't care if he's 39, PG's as good as Jason Kidd are still few and far between... Again, if you're a contending team that can keep it close against the best teams in the NBA, then Kidd is invaluable, because when the game is on the line, Kidd's going to execute and make better decisions than anybody... I can guarantee you, even if Williams is on the team, Kidd would always be on the floor to finish games along side him...
cowboyuptx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #35
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyuptx View Post
Williams is one of the greatest PG's in the game today, and Kidd would be the absolute best backup PG in the NBA... If Williams doesn't sign with Dallas, then Kidd is still the next best option...
Co-sign.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Thanks pal.
I'm not your pal. You don't seem to have any good ideas. Take it somewhere else.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #37
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm not your pal. You don't seem to have any good ideas. Take it somewhere else.
Whatever you say buddy, I'm not new here. I remember you quite well. I would never mistake you for being a bright person in any way shape or form, and it holds up you talking crap to me for no real reason at all. No surprise to me.

Where are your great ideas? Or do you just want to be a troll?

Quote:
For a team like the Mavs, it's not predicting the wins that is hard. It's predicting the losses.
LMAO

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-13-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #38
cowboyuptx

cowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of lightcowboyuptx is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
That's just it, this team is in a unique situation. Are those guys getting older? No doubt. But replacing them all with younger players puts you in a rebuilding mode. Younger isn't always better. You give up on all of them you also have to give up on any chance of a championship which is dumb when you still have a franchise player in Dirk.

That said, I have no idea what the MBT are going to actually do. I mean if you give Deron the max you probably have to cut ties with JET just from that alone. I am not 100% sure if you can keep Marion either. I'm not sure this team even wins another championship with Deron on this team because you will have to surround him with an aging Dirk and who knows who else. There's really no ideal way to handle this teams future. I'm glad I'm not the MBT.
Jet can walk, I'd rather he stay, but he's far more replaceable than Marion... Personally, I'd rather keep Marion and Kidd than sign Williams... I know that sounds crazy, Williams is such a good player, but even he wouldn't be able to make up for what we would lose defensively without Marion... IMO, Marion and Kidd must be re-signed to finish out Dirk's career, because they both play good defense and do the little things that win... I'd love to see Williams, Marion, and Kidd on the team next year, but if that's not possible, I think our best chance at winning another ring would be to re-sign Kidd and Marion, and pickup a couple more good players that are not superstars... Rather than letting Kidd and/or Marion walk and signing Williams... Call me crazy, but I think that a combination of a rested Kidd, Dirk, and Marion still has the makings to be one of the very best closing units in the NBA...
cowboyuptx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #39
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I'd like to see West back next year.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #40
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyuptx View Post
Jet can walk, I'd rather he stay, but he's far more replaceable than Marion... Personally, I'd rather keep Marion and Kidd than sign Williams... I know that sounds crazy, Williams is such a good player, but even he wouldn't be able to make up for what we would lose defensively without Marion... IMO, Marion and Kidd must be re-signed to finish out Dirk's career, because they both play good defense and do the little things that win... I'd love to see Williams, Marion, and Kidd on the team next year, but if that's not possible, I think our best chance at winning another ring would be to re-sign Kidd and Marion, and pickup a couple more good players that are not superstars... Rather than letting Kidd and/or Marion walk and signing Williams... Call me crazy, but I think that a combination of a rested Kidd, Dirk, and Marion still has the makings to be one of the very best closing units in the NBA...
I'm with you on Jet, but there's no way I take Marion/Kidd over Deron Williams. I mean you're basically saying keep the same team next year as this year, obviously the current team is probably not winning a championship unless Dirk goes off in the playoffs again.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-13-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Tags
hisbitchness81, i'mwitless81