Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 06-06-2004, 07:02 PM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thought Kerry didn't have class? Think again my friend....

Kerry Suspend's Campaigning
By NEDRA PICKLER

BOSTON (AP) - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry said Sunday that he was suspending "overtly political" campaigning in the coming days in observance of former President Reagan's death.

"Ronald Reagan and many of us disagreed on one issue or another, but he always disagreed with a smile, without partisanship," Kerry told reporters after attending church.

"I think he had a sense of idealism and a sense of optimism of the possibilities about our country that define leadership," Kerry said. "We will miss him, no matter what party, no matter what our beliefs. He was a leader, and we'll miss him."

Kerry was flying to Toledo, Ohio, Sunday to speak at the graduation ceremony for Bedford Senior High School. Although the school is in Temperance, Mich., the commencement is across the nearby state line in Ohio. Kerry's aides said he would make a tribute to Reagan in the speech.

Kerry was returning to Washington after the graduation, canceling a trip to Denver where he was to have delivered a speech Monday morning. "We're going to suspend any sort of overtly political rallies, events like that," Kerry said. He added that he would probably still have private meetings with advisers. Kerry spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said the campaign would determine later in the day how long Kerry would observe Reagan's death and which activities he would cancel, but he would not pull his campaign advertising.

Old 06-06-2004, 07:29 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Thought Kerry didn't have class? Think again my friend....

I read that earlier and I appreciated it. Very nice job by kerry.

Can't say the same for the "paper of record" the NYTimes. Weekly standard has a comparison between it and the WashingtonPost. NYTimes has become so openly partisan that I wouldn't EVEN buy it to line the birdcage now. It's not even worth that.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is Kerry's official statement that I was talking about. Respectful and tasteful. Well done senator.

Quote:
Kerry Campaign: Statement from Senator John Kerry on the Death of Ronald Reagan
6/5/2004

For Immediate Release
June 5, 2004

Boston, MA – Senator John Kerry released the following statement today:

“Ronald Reagan's love of country was infectious. Even when he was breaking Democrats hearts, he did so with a smile and in the spirit of honest and open debate. Despite the disagreements, he lived by that noble ideal that at 5pm we weren't Democrats or Republicans, we were Americans and friends. President Reagan and Tip O'Neill fought hard and honorably on many issues, and sat down together to happily swap jokes and the stories of their lives. The differences were real, but because of the way President Reagan led, he taught us that there is a big difference between strong beliefs and bitter partisanship.

“He was the voice of America in good times and in grief. When we lost the brave astronauts in the Challenger tragedy, he reminded us that, ‘Nothing ends here; our hopes and our journeys continue.’

“Now, his own journey has ended-a long and storied trip that spanned most of the American century-and shaped one of the greatest victories of freedom. Today in the face of new challenges, his example reminds us that we must move forward with optimism and resolve. He was our oldest president, but he made America young again.

“Our prayers are with his family, and the wife he loved in a way all the world could see. And to the end, she loved him with courage and complete devotion. She helped all of us better understand the cruel disease that took him away before it took his life, and what we must do to prevent and cure it.

“Teresa and I and our family extend our deepest sympathies to Nancy Reagan and the Reagan family. Today, from California to Maine - ‘from sea to shining sea’ - Americans will bow their heads in prayer and gratitude that President Reagan left such an indelible stamp on the nation he loved.”
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 06-06-2004, 09:53 PM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Oooooooo......

Puh-lease. Do you not think that anything Kerry did this week would not be glossed over anyway? Bush gets the national stage all week as President. That's the breaks.

Gives Kerry a break to make fundraising calls. Hopefully makes him rethink that ridiculous campaign slogan he's chosen. Plus, Reagan is the positive icon for the right and the negative icon for the left anyway. Now the Dems have to figure out how to rip Bush without using the terms "Cowboy", "Reaganomics" or "Supply Side Economics" and knowing that Bush gets to set the tone for the next month. Hell, about the only word it will be safe for the Dems to use is "Neo-con" and most people don't know what the hel that means. Half the Dem playbook in playing ot its base is ripping Reagan; what the hell are they going to do now? The political dynamivcs have shifted. Also sucks for Kerry that the Republican Convention just got new meaning as the final political send-off for Reagan, with Nancy speaking in prime time with all the networks covering it with renewed vigor.

You people don't realize how difficult this is going to be for Kerry.

Kerry isn't doing the right thing, he's doing the smart thing.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

Default RE: Thought Kerry didn't have class? Think again my friend....

I think the "campaigning" call is typical kerry and disingenious a little bit.. But the released statement is ok in my book.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Kerry has class when it benefits him politically to have class. Here's a reminder of his real opinion of Reagan:

April 1983: “What we as citizens can tell our government is that President Reagan should reorder his priorities. We don’t need expensive and exotic weapons systems.”

February 1, 1984: “[Reagan] has mortgaged our future in order to pay for a bloated military budget of which 45% is spent on the research, development and procurement of more weapons of destruction.”

May 30, 1984: “The defense expenditures of the Reagan administration are without any relevancy to the threat this nation is currently facing.”

January 19, 1985: “[W]e are watching an administration walk away from any sense of trying to deal with what weapons systems we need to really maintain a legitimate level of defense, versus what they are willing to simply fund and fund and fund, out of their willingness to fund any weapons system. They’ve never met one they don’t like.”

9/15/92: “Ronald Reagan certainly was never in combat. I mean, many of his movies depicted him there. And he may have believed he was, but he never was. And the fact is that he sent Americans off to die.”
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

As stupid as Kerry is (and he is REALLY stupid)....even that dunderpate knows it would be political suicide to do anything but praise Reagan.

I was surprised though. I think the odds were 50-50 that Kerry would screw that up too. I guess it was just his time to accidently get one right.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

"As stupid as Kerry is (and he is REALLY stupid)....even that dunderpate knows it would be political suicide to do anything but praise Reagan."

PLEASE...do u honestly think Mr. Bush is smarter than Kerry??? Honestly...no right wing answer- the truth..i can handle the truth

And APE- what is your point?? Not all Democrats agreed with everything Reagan said or did..Does that make Kerry a bad person? NO...did he still respect Mr. Reagan??YES...

He was the greatest Republican I can ever remember...Last one to carry my state of Wis. too if im not mistaken....

Old 06-07-2004, 10:55 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
PLEASE...do u honestly think Mr. Bush is smarter than Kerry??? Honestly...no right wing answer- the truth..i can handle the truth
I'm not sure if our President Bush is smarter than Kerry. But there is certainly no evidence that he's any dumber. But per the democrats all republicans are dumb. They must be, they don't agree with them.
----------------------------------
Bush's Credentials:
College Yale University- Bachelor's degree, history
Graduate School - Harvard University, Master of Business Administration

Career and Public Service
- Owner, oil and gas business (One business, I think it failed)
Partner, Texas Rangers Baseball Team (Another business)
Governor of Texas (Governor of the 2nd or 3rd most populist state in the US. Having an international border).
President of the United States ( Pretty good gig ).

----------------------------------
Kerry's Credentials
College - Political Science, Yale University
JD, Boston College Law School, 1976 ( I think this is law school)

Career
- First Assistant District Attoney, Middlesex Country, MA
- Lieutenant Governor, Mass
- Senator, United States Senate
------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I don't know which is more prestigious(or hard), getting a Law Degree ora MBA from Harvard. My personal opinion is the MBA, but only because of my distrust of lawyers. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I mean I do see Jim Adler commercials every day, he's not impressive.

But the one thing that does jump out at me is that kerry has had little or no real-world experience being an administrator of either a company or a state or a large anything really. It's possible that Kerry could score more on an IQ test, but I wouldn't put a lot of money on it. Certainly Dubya has much more experience that is relevant to running a very large organization(or government) than kerry does.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

There is no doubt in my mind Bush is more intelligent than Kerry, who sadly is more intelligent than reeds. Of course, so is a roll of three-ply toilet paper, but I digress.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:43 AM   #11
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Reeds, honestly, John Kerry never had one good thing to say about Ronald Reagan until he died. If that somehow translates into respect, then there's something we are all missing.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:50 PM   #12
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

"Reeds, honestly, John Kerry never had one good thing to say about Ronald Reagan until he died. If that somehow translates into respect, then there's something we are all missing"

How do you know that?? Perhaps just the "bashing" was in print??? That is usually how it works..media is always trying to stir things up- its boring to write about compliments... I truly beleive Kerry respected Reagan....just my thoughts
Old 06-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Won't bash you for thinking he did, but his statements from the press above (ape's post) certainly don't support that line of thought.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:57 PM   #14
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

There are numerous other actions we can take, in concert with our allies, to bring significant pressure to bear on countries supporting or harboring terrorists

Name one you A hole, he was like this even during Reagans time
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The biggest defense buildup since World War II has not given us a better defense. Americans feel more threatened by the prospect of war, not less so. And our national priorities become more and more distorted as the share of our country’s resources devoted to human needs diminishes.”

-- Sen. John Forbes Kerry, D-Mass, 1984

“It is obvious that our response was not proportional to the disco bombing and even violated the Administration’s own guidelines to hit clearly defined terrorist targets, thereby minimizing the risk to innocent civilians. ...

“There are numerous other actions we can take, in concert with our allies, to bring significant pressure to bear on countries supporting or harboring terrorists.”

-- Sen. John Forbes Kerry, D-Mass, 1986 (Regarding Pres. Reagan's decision to bomb Libya)

FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #15
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: reeds
"Reeds, honestly, John Kerry never had one good thing to say about Ronald Reagan until he died. If that somehow translates into respect, then there's something we are all missing"

How do you know that?? Perhaps just the "bashing" was in print??? That is usually how it works..media is always trying to stir things up- its boring to write about compliments... I truly beleive Kerry respected Reagan....just my thoughts
Who cares about inner personal thoughts? If he actually respected Ronald Reagan, he would have shown it while Reagan was still living, and not wait until now.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:59 PM   #16
reeds
Golden Member

"Who cares about inner personal thoughts? If he actually respected Ronald Reagan, he would have shown it while Reagan was still living, and not wait until now. "

BULLCRAP- you do NOT have to agree with someone to respect them..

Old 06-09-2004, 03:07 AM   #17
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BULLCRAP- you do NOT have to agree with someone to respect them..
Bullshit yourself, chump-change...

When Kerry said, “Ronald Reagan certainly was never in combat. I mean, many of his movies depicted him there. And he may have believed he was, but he never was. And the fact is that he sent Americans off to die.”, he showed an absolute contempt for our 40th President that goes far beyond just failing to "agree" with him.

As far as I'm concerned, I think John Kerry is a two-faced piece of Massachusetts shit who has a long and inglorious history of plopping out whatever public statements are most politically expedient at any given time, and any unbiassed comparison of his past and present statements concerning Ronald Reagan illustrate that tendency quite well...
Old 06-09-2004, 09:10 AM   #18
Drbio
Banned

I think Evil just nailed Kerry.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:34 AM   #19
mavsman55
Platinum Member

"Ronald Reagan certainly was never in combat. I mean, many of his movies depicted him there. And he may have believed he was, but he never was. And the fact is that he sent Americans off to die."

Reeds, there is nothing you can say to defend this. The fact remains, John Kerry much more than disagreed with Reagan. Good grief, when will you learn.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #20
reeds
Golden Member

""Ronald Reagan certainly was never in combat. I mean, many of his movies depicted him there. And he may have believed he was, but he never was. And the fact is that he sent Americans off to die."

Sounds like the truth HURTS???? hmmm...
Old 06-09-2004, 01:46 PM   #21
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Reeds, COMPLETELY inappropriate. Go to hell.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #22
reeds
Golden Member

"Reeds, COMPLETELY inappropriate. Go to hell. "

Was he in combat? Did I lie? talk about inappropriate- your comments are childish, immature and typical of your overall replies that disagree with your own beliefs...last time I checked this was a free country, regardless if that is the wishes of the majority of this board

Old 06-09-2004, 03:41 PM   #23
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Neither FDR nor Lincoln saw combat, and they presided over the two biggest armed conflicts in this country's history. What the hell is Kerry's point? Does he think that three months of action on a swift boat makes him more qualified to lead a nation in a time of war than Lincoln and Roosevelt? What a pompous piece of shit.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:26 PM   #24
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: reeds
"Reeds, COMPLETELY inappropriate. Go to hell. "

Was he in combat? Did I lie? talk about inappropriate- your comments are childish, immature and typical of your overall replies that disagree with your own beliefs...last time I checked this was a free country, regardless if that is the wishes of the majority of this board
No, reeds. Immature is blindly throwing out insults at George Bush that don't make any sense at all. Immature is blaming Bush personally because the army wasn't able to find and kill Osama Bin Laden. Immature is claiming that George Bush declared war not on terrorism, but on the innocent Iraqi people. Immature is diminishing the importance of defense spending and claiming that we'd be much better off wasting our tax dollars on schools and social programs. But somehow, in your eyes, me standing up for a dead hero of mine is immature? Don't let your liberal glasses get in the way of the cold hard truth. For you to insult Ronald Reagan like that at a time like this is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:04 PM   #25
reeds
Golden Member

"No, reeds. Immature is blindly throwing out insults at George Bush that don't make any sense at all. Immature is blaming Bush personally because the army wasn't able to find and kill Osama Bin Laden. Immature is claiming that George Bush declared war not on terrorism, but on the innocent Iraqi people. Immature is diminishing the importance of defense spending and claiming that we'd be much better off wasting our tax dollars on schools and social programs. But somehow, in your eyes, me standing up for a dead hero of mine is immature? Don't let your liberal glasses get in the way of the cold hard truth. For you to insult Ronald Reagan like that at a time like this is absolutely ridiculous. "

IMMATURE is getting all pissy about someone voicing their own opinion- telling them to go to hell...what a joke
Old 06-09-2004, 11:22 PM   #26
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

You guys sound like my kids bickering back and forth.

But being the right-wing extremist that I am.... I will have to side with mavsman55 on this one. Sorry about that reeds, I do admire you acquiring a taste for vino.... but until you start thinking right I will align my views with my fellow Conservatives at all cost. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2004, 12:35 AM   #27
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Reeds, I am tired of fighting back and forth with you. If you want to believe everything John Kerry says, fine. But I am letting it be known that Ronald Reagan was a <u>great</u> man, and for people to criticize him for never being in the army or to accuse him of sending soldiers off to die when he was, in reality, defending our country is pretty mean. It's time to show some respect for a man who molded our country into the most <u>free</u> country in the world today.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:04 AM   #28
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
I am letting it be known that Ronald Reagan was a <u>great</u> man, and for people to criticize him for never being in the army or to accuse him of sending soldiers off to die when he was, in reality, defending our country is pretty mean. It's time to show some respect for a man who molded our country into the most <u>free</u> country in the world today.
Absolutely! Hear, Hear, MavsMan!
Old 06-10-2004, 06:43 AM   #29
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Very good once again mavsman... however I keep reading about how Reagan was never in the Army, and all of that. That is untrue, he was a reserve Cavalry officer in the Army beginning in 1935. After Pearl Harbor he was activated. He attained the rank of Captain.

Now what he did for the Army was make training and educational films. Obviously the Army took advantage of his actor background.

So no, he never saw combat.... but stop saying he never was in the Army... that is simply untrue.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Nice U2.

I think mavsman is becoming one of my favorites. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2004, 11:02 AM   #31
reeds
Golden Member

"Early 80's didnt he sign into law a bill taxing social security benefits & increase the retirement age?

Didnt he say "we did not, repeat, did not, trade weapons or anything else for hostages, nor will we"..now if Clinton said that- it would be ALL OVER THIS site..therfore I had to put it out there- he wasnt perfect..no one is.... "

Just saying the man was NOT perfect- kiss his butt all you want, thats just fine and dandy...but he was human and he did do and say some things that werent perfect...

and by the way Mavsman- our country was not molded into "the most free country" by Reagan..it was much much earlier than that...
Old 06-10-2004, 12:43 PM   #32
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Nice U2.

I think mavsman is becoming one of my favorites. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Thanks Doc!

And reeds, you're right. Reagan wasn't perfect. Being human, he made mistakes. However, I feel it's rather inappropriate to wait until his death to rub in his imperfections.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #33
reeds
Golden Member

"And reeds, you're right. Reagan wasn't perfect. Being human, he made mistakes. However, I feel it's rather inappropriate to wait until his death to rub in his imperfections."

Inappropiate? Is there a timetable when its ok to talk about dead people?? If so, what would that timetable be? Get real..his name just happened to come up because he passed away...he is getting praise from all over the world right now- but he is also being bashed by some...shame on them for disrespecting a dead president..

And aruge this all you want- if it were a dead democrat- there would be NO problem at all if imperfections on him were talked about- NONE at all....thats the sad part..
Old 06-10-2004, 02:07 PM   #34
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Alright. Whatever. Disrespect him all you want, but the time of his death is not the appropriate time to point out his flaws and criticize him for being human.