Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-06-2003, 06:28 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default emmitt out indefinitely

..emmitt has a fracture in his shoulder..more to come
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2003, 06:30 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: emmitt out indefinitely

As a Emmitt fan, I hate to hear this about him.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 06:30 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

As a Emmitt fan, I hate to hear this about him.

1996-2005
Old 10-06-2003, 06:34 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that... Dan McDowell (resident Ticket idiot) was laughing at Emmitt being injured(well not at the injury, but he didn't believe he was inured - he thought he acted hurt because of his poor production). He said he should have been able to play with pain like he did for the Cowboys vs. the Giants (the shoulder injury when we were trying to clinch the East).

I hope he eats crow tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:38 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Emmitt's left shoulder blade broken

By MEL REISNER, AP Sports Writer
October 6, 2003
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- NFL career rushing leader Emmitt Smith has a broken left shoulder blade and will be sidelined indefinitely.

The injury occurred early in the second quarter of Arizona's 24-7 loss to Dallas on Sunday in Smith's first game against the team he spent his first 13 seasons with and led to three Super Bowl victories.

Coach Dave McGinnis said X-rays taken Monday revealed the injury was more serious than originally thought. After the game, the Cardinals said Smith had only a sprained shoulder.

Team orthopedist Russell Chick found the break to the scapula in the back of Smith's shoulder after a more thorough examination.

``If it was just a bruised shoulder, believe me, Emmitt Smith would have come back out of that locker room,'' McGinnis said.

Smith was unavailable Monday, leaving without speaking to reporters.

McGinnis acknowledged Smith would be out for at least a few weeks, but doubted his season was over.

``I'm not going to put a time frame on it because I've not been given a time frame on it,'' McGinnis said.

On his final play, Smith went between the guard and tackle on the left side. Safety Roy Williams arrived in the hole when Smith did and tackled the former Cowboy, causing the injury.

The injury is sure to sideline Smith longer than anything in his experience: He's missed just four games because of an injury.

Smith lost 1 yard on six carries and caught two passes for 2 yards against the Cowboys, spoiling his debut against his former team. The eight-time Pro Bowler broke Walter Payton's career rushing record last season, and has 17,354 in his career.

He had just 192 yards and one touchdown in five games with the Cardinals.

During warmups Sunday, Cowboys fans cheered Smith and held signs welcoming him back to Dallas. Smith wept during postgame interviews, a sign of his disappointment at being held without positive yardage for the first time.

``I know he handled it with extreme professionalism, handled the whole situation with extreme grace,'' McGinnis said.

Marcel Shipp, who led the Cardinals in rushing with 834 yards last season and was tabbed as the starter until Smith signed with the Cardinals in March, will start at running back.

His backups are Damien Anderson and special teams star Josh Scobey, who had a 100-yard kickoff return against St. Louis on Sept. 28 and a 63-yard kickoff return Sunday.

``Hopefully our running game will work -- we can make it work -- enough so that I have to run all three of them,'' McGinnis said. ``But so far, we've had trouble getting enough carries to one guy.''

Old 10-06-2003, 06:39 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

dan's an idiot

too bad bob has to be partnered with him
Old 10-06-2003, 06:53 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Emmitt would risk injury in a regular season game just so Dan can be happy? One problem though. Emmitt is 30+ now.

1996-2005
Old 10-06-2003, 06:53 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad to hear.

edit - But I hope this puts the league on notice that Roy Williams is one bad mofo.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 07:27 PM   #9
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I loved that his worst career game was against us, but sad to hear his injury was more serious then I thought.
Man, that Roy Williams is nuts!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:18 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Sorry to hear that... Dan McDowell (resident Ticket idiot) was laughing at Emmitt being injured(well not at the injury, but he didn't believe he was inured - he thought he acted hurt because of his poor production). He said he should have been able to play with pain like he did for the Cowboys vs. the Giants (the shoulder injury when we were trying to clinch the East).

Dan McDowell is a fool.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 08:28 PM   #11
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Can anyone say career ending injury?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:50 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

it's not supposed to be career ending
Old 10-06-2003, 08:58 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo

What an idiot.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:01 PM   #14
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
it's not supposed to be career ending
isn't it supposed to keep him out for the rest of the year?

If it does I think he should retire after this year.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:25 PM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't just Bob and Dan. Craig Miller speculated on the extent of the injury as did the Hardline. In fact, The Hardline accused Emmitt of exaggerating the injury and in the same segment, the official word came down. Then there was Galloway on ESPN. Emmitt's just not popular with the local media. That's why I hated to see him break down. They were trying to break him by rehashing the same old issues and they did it.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

i'd imagine that he'd be out 5-6 weeks or so...but, i have heard of people coming back from similar injuries in less than two weeks.

it's sorry that anyone would question whether or not he's really hurt. at least let the injury report come out the next day..and then you can make an ass out of yourself if you choose
Old 10-06-2003, 09:56 PM   #17
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
dan's an idiot

too bad bob has to be partnered with him
Agreed, but it won't be long imho.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 09:59 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

the media in general and the ticket in particular just dwell on the negative. Miller drive me nuts with his pessimism and so does grego.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:03 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Not his best day.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:14 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

What a beating most of the Ticket hosts are. I would love to send Dan McDowell, Craig Miller, or Grego through the hole between guard and tackle and let Roy Williams unload on them.

He might actually kill them.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:47 PM   #21
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
What a beating most of the Ticket hosts are. I would love to send Dan McDowell, Craig Miller, or Grego through the hole between guard and tackle and let Roy Williams unload on them.

He might actually kill them.
Is it actually possible to die from excessive defecation in your pants?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2003, 10:59 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

well, i wouldn't send grego..but, i would send dunham, miller, and dan up the middle...
Old 10-06-2003, 11:03 PM   #23
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

The ticket guys are sometimes over the top, but like I said, they are by no means alone. I doubt many in the local media shed a tear over Emmitt. He was pretty antagonistic when it came to the media.