Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

On sadder DH news.... it looks like David Yates is going to be the director.

WHY?????????????????????????????????????
Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

There are worse things. At least it's not that hack who did GOF.

I was hoping they would bring Cuaron back though.

Yates did a pretty good job with OOTP, all things considered. It was a very long book.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The cliffhanger of them being captured in Malfoy Manor could work.

But I think I like having that crisis resolved and a focus on the next steps to end the first-last movie.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
The cliffhanger of them being captured in Malfoy Manor could work.

But I think I like having that crisis resolved and a focus on the next steps to end the first-last movie.
Well... logically that would probably be after Harry decides which way to go, horcruxes or hallows then, either after he questions them both or before. That might be a good transition to have him going into Griphooks room but the viewer not knowing until the start of the next movie. It will be interesting to see how they do it.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Well... logically that would probably be after Harry decides which way to go, horcruxes or hallows then, either after he questions them both or before. That might be a good transition to have him going into Griphooks room but the viewer not knowing until the start of the next movie. It will be interesting to see how they do it.
Right, you don't necessarily have to tell the viewer what the next step is. You could have Harry showing his new resolve after burying Dobby, giving indications that he knows what he has to do next, and end movie.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-13-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing about this (and the thing that might have put this decision over the top) is the Snape stuff.

That is a huge break in the climactic end, where the mood and the imagery would greatly fragment the battle and the flow of a movie. Now they will have time to do it properly. That was my biggest worry about this film. I figured they would gloss over the Snape thing in a hasty mess, but now that they've given themselves the time that is necessary, I hope they will do him justice.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah it's win-win (or win-win-win for you 'The Office' fans).

The studio makes a billion dollars extra, we get 2.5 more hours of movie and something to look forward to, and everybody's happy.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

What the flip happened there.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Geez thig...if you wanted to derail this thread, there are better ways to do it

(that is weird though, haven't seen that one)
Old 03-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I think I accidentlly clicked post from quick reply, and then continued typing. As the posts continued they had more and mroe of my last sentence.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Bc I don't think he believed Harry about the wands allegiance. The whole point was that he didn't understand or care about subtleties like that.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

If Voldemort was a chicken with his head cut off it's because he put himself in that position. He didn't understand wand law and that showed in the end. Just because Harry is 17 doesn't mean he has to be ignorant. Especially on a subject that he has spent the better part of 2 years working towards figuring out. It wasn't that Harry knew more than Voldemort, because Harry's knowledge of dark magic is relegated to little more than horcruxes and the unforgivable curses... he just happened to be enlightened on the magic that ended up being the downfall of his nemesis.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Wink

Quote:
up yours sike
I gagree
Old 03-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If Voldemort was a chicken with his head cut off it's because he put himself in that position. He didn't understand wand law and that showed in the end. Just because Harry is 17 doesn't mean he has to be ignorant. Especially on a subject that he has spent the better part of 2 years working towards figuring out. It wasn't that Harry knew more than Voldemort, because Harry's knowledge of dark magic is relegated to little more than horcruxes and the unforgivable curses... he just happened to be enlightened on the magic that ended up being the downfall of his nemesis.
yup...I agree with you guys...it was a pretty weak way to off big V.

I still see no reason why V couldn't have defeated Harry easily...unless the wand would not perform any spells against its rightful owner...if that is correct, its one thing...but the fact that V didn't even try other spells (if memory serves) in his duel with Harry is just dumb.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
yup...I agree with you guys...it was a pretty weak way to off big V.

I still see no reason why V couldn't have defeated Harry easily...unless the wand would not perform any spells against its rightful owner...if that is correct, its one thing...but the fact that V didn't even try other spells (if memory serves) in his duel with Harry is just dumb.
Sike, he tried Crucio before the duel and it didn't work.

The fact that the wand would not work against its owner was pretty much the point. It was the plan Dumbledore set into action.

Remember when Dumbledore lamented that the plan didn't work out for Snape? It's because in Dumbledore's plan, Snape was supposed to be the owner of the wand, by killing Dumbledore, and thus Voldemort could not have killed him, and Dumbledore e surely knew he would try to do that when the wand would not work properly.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 03-13-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think no matter what he did with that wand, it wasn't going to hurt Harry. Besides, the story was supposed to be more about love over death rather than about skill with a wand.

It was voldemorts arrogance in not learning about wand lore or house elves or ancient magic that defeated him.

It was his cruelty that turned Narcissa Malfoy to betray him, and Snape to betray him that defeated him.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Narcissa? *snort*
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #18
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

So now that it's official and all...... Which mess ups will they fix? Which will they not?

Here are some of the ones they HAVE to fix:

Horcruxes - You cant reduce the number of Horcruxes. You can't. Now that we know there are 2 films will they write in the Gaunts/Hepzibah Smith memories in HBP? Or is it too late?

Dobby - He has to be in HBP, otherwise the viewer isn't going to care too much for him dying. Unless he's just going to be gone totally, which would suck.

Fleur and Bill - They aren't in HBP so we won't see Bill get disfigured and Fleur get her attitude on with Molly. Will there be a wedding? There better be because I'm looking forward to the next one:

Scrimgeour - He isn't cast either in HBP. Hopefully they mention this and have Fudge gone so that we can have Kingsley's Lynx patronus show up and proclaim that "The ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming."

I'll add more later...
Old 03-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #19
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Unfortunately they already too far into HBP to fix those things. The horcruxes will be something I'm sure they can't change. I know they've said that the number of Riddel remembrances in HBP movie wouldn't be the same as the book, but I'm sure she wouldn't approve (they pass the script under her nose before they finalize it) any less than 7 (and the secret 8th) fragment of voldy's soul.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

haha i don't understand anything you guys are writing.

AHHHCRUCIO!!!!!

I like the movies though. Adding another sounds like fun.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIJaI...eature=related
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7syA...eature=related
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39GO...eature=related
Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlcG...eature=related
Part 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGCyo...eature=related

These are the A&E Biography of JKR. Watching the ending of part 5 explains the epilogue which I know many of you are not pleased with. But knowing the reason for it and a bit of it's history I think is pretty cool.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #22
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to find ways of shortening a long off-season. Just started reading Sorcerer's Stone again... gonna try and go straight through all 7 books.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #23
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I'm trying to find ways of shortening a long off-season. Just started reading Sorcerer's Stone again... gonna try and go straight through all 7 books.
I'm reading the books to my girls. We are at the beginning of HBP right now. They love it because my wife is a movie only fan so she is kept in the dark about the goings on. And they like to talk about S.P.E.W., Winky, etc.... at dinner sometimes so they can show their HP nerddom.

I'm regretting the ending of this book because my oldest daughter is a big DD fan. And my younger daughter loves Hedwig so the beginning of DH is going to be difficult.

I thought for sure, and have been meaning to ask, that I saw Pigwidgeon briefly in an ending scene of one of the movies.... although he wasn't named. Anyone remember if thats true and if so which one?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #24
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

That's a pretty good thing to do in the summer.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #25
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

1-3 down.. I had forgotten how good these books are.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #26
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

crap. forgot to do this on her 18th birthday (april 15th)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #27
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If Hermione Granger is trouble, put me in time out!

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #28
fluid.forty.one

Hermione is bomb.

Book 4 down.. starting 5. 5-7 were the ones that I haven't read much.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Those are the best ones. They just get better.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #30
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I am nearing DD death in HBP for my girls. I'm kinda excited/scared to see their reaction. At this point they are so on the Snape is a bad guy I can't WAIT for the end of DH. I know by the time they hear of him AK'ing DD they will know they were right.

Tonight they find out how Harry finagles the Horcrux memory from Prof. Slughorn.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #31
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Tonight they find out how Harry finagles the Horcrux memory from Prof. Slughorn.
Ahh the wholesome family fun of drunkenness being used for good.

"...to Parry Otter! The chosen boy who - well something of that sort"
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #32
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

So how long has U2's location been "The Phoenix Lament". Is that where you are in reading to your daughters? If so how did they react to the death?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-28-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #33
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
So how long has U2's location been "The Phoenix Lament". Is that where you are in reading to your daughters? If so how did they react to the death?
I changed it to read that about an hour ago.

My oldest girl was in tears. Both were pretty upset. My oldest girl proclaimed that Snape was her favorite character after the "Snape Victorious" chapter (because, she said, he is kind of funny and everytime you think he's bad we find out he isn't) so her viewpoint on him was shattered. I can't wait until she realizes her gut instincts were correct. I know I knew he was a bad guy from the get go(of course I had been spoiled on HBP ending before starting book 1 as you well know).
Old 05-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #34
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

My powers of perception astound even me at times.

I'm glad you get to see someone go through experiencing that without being spoiled. It was shocking.

I was always of the belief that Snape was acting on Dumbledore's wishes, but I waivered a lot in between the final two books. That chapter of his memories in DH was so refreshing, to finally know for sure, and to see what Snape was all about. I look forward to reliving that with my own kids.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-28-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #35
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My powers of perception astound even me at times.

I'm glad you get to see someone go through experiencing that without being spoiled. It was shocking.

I was always of the belief that Snape was acting on Dumbledore's wishes, but I waivered a lot in between the final two books. That chapter of his memories in DH was so refreshing, to finally know for sure, and to see what Snape was all about. I look forward to reliving that with my own kids.
Snape was always my favorite character...I felt he was good, but was perhaps a bit less sure than thiggy.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #36
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Snape was always my favorite character...I felt he was good, but was perhaps a bit less sure than thiggy.
At the time of HBP my girlfriend and I stayed up and read it, and when we finished it she insisted he was bad and I insisted he was good, and we argued about it every day for like a month and a half. Then I broke up with her. Unrelated, though. Maybe.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #37
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito
At the time of HBP my girlfriend and I stayed up and read it, and when we finished it she insisted he was bad and I insisted he was good, and we argued about it every day for like a month and a half. Then I broke up with her. Unrelated, though. Maybe.
Did you call her after DH came out and say..."I told you so?"
Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 AM   #38
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
Did you call her after DH came out and say..."I told you so?"
We actually discussed DH online as we were reading it, even though we were no longer an item. We're still friends. But yes, I did tell her "I told you so."
Old 05-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #39
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I was kind of expecting him to really be good.... since DD was always so insistent. I changed my mind for good (until the Prince's Tale) after the first chapter of DH. Seeing him there with Voldemort and vying for his approval was enough to turn me to the Snape is bad for sure camp. And I was glad to be wrong. Now, I didn't see the entire being in love with Lily angle. That came as a shock to the system. But I sure was glad to find out finally who had sent the Doe patronus. What a great story.

edit: and unrelated, but is the Lost thread spoiler free at the moment? You guys are killing me.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-28-2008 at 02:17 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #40
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was kind of expecting him to really be good.... since DD was always so insistent. I changed my mind for good (until the Prince's Tale) after the first chapter of DH. Seeing him there with Voldemort and vying for his approval was enough to turn me to the Snape is bad for sure camp. And I was glad to be wrong. Now, I didn't see the entire being in love with Lily angle. That came as a shock to the system. But I sure was glad to find out finally who had sent the Doe patronus. What a great story.

edit: and unrelated, but is the Lost thread spoiler free at the moment? You guys are killing me.
Aeris dies.

Tags
dumbledore is gay q=(, dumbledore kills snape, failed to cast leviosa, harry chases small balls, my elder wand is magical, snape dapes rumbledore, snape kills dumbledore, voldemort > harry, voldemort is awesome, your mom is awesome