Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #81
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty good deal by the league. You have incompetent referees out there either throwing a game or just being incompetent (my take) and to point out their incompetence costs the team 10K. Nice incentive to get it right there. Stein breaks down the cluster that was "reffed" last night. I heard followill talk about how the clock couldn't be "reviewed" on the Aaron Brooks out of bounds play but it didn't quite sit well with me, I've seen seconds put on the clock in almost all situations.

A full second for a shot is a big deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4756296

Quote:
Dallas has 48 hours to formally file the protest, which costs $10,000. Cuban said that the Mavs will formally send in the protest paperwork Sunday.

Last edited by dude1394; 12-19-2009 at 01:07 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #82
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this appeal is really interesting. I don't think anything's going to come of it for the Mavs, but the league seems to be in a bad spot here. Flagrant 1's are not reviewable, and I'm pretty sure it's not in the rulebook anywhere that you can assess a technical on a player while reviewing another call on replay.

Also an explanation for why there was no time put back on the clock at the end of regulation is mystifying.

The clear path call was a horrible call, but it happens. I'm not sure what the point of protesting that one is.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #83
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=dmack24;1051558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack24 View Post
I thought you would have learned to keep Barea in the game, instead of repeating what happened two games ago. I wish we would trade jet, so we alleviate any itch rick has to bench jj when he is going for a career night. The sooner we trade jet the better we shall be. He cannot defend, and he certainly cannot shoot anymore. He is the new Jerry Stackhouse of this organization. It is time to get rid of this chump for a decent post player and give Roddy some minutes, but the majority going to Barea. I cannot see why this guy cant put up 30 by the end of the season if given extended play.
Sometimes I feel like this web site has been taken over by 12 year olds, or at least people with the patience of one.

Jet has been a streaky jump shooter his entire career, and he's had slumps before. For his entire career, he has shot his way out of them. There is no reason to think he won't again, and so far there is no reason to believe JJB will ever be a better player than Jet. He would be very lucky to retire with the numbers Terry has already put up. Last year Jet averages 19 and wins 6th man of the year. Now, you call him a chump and want to toss him on the scrap heap?

Have you ever heard the phrase "Dirk Terry 2 man game?" For most teams, stopping Jet is job 2 after stopping Dirk. In the playoffs last year, Denver just concentrated on Terry. They stopped him and shut down the Mavs. Now if you think JJB would be as big a threat, you gotta share what you been smoking.

A big reason JJB is effective is that defenses usually ignore him. That's why he's always open for the 3, and has never been double teamed. If they focus on stopping him like they do Terry, he'd be lucky to score 10 a night. JJB has become very good at what his is, which is an undersized backup point guard who can get to the glass and hit the 3. What he is not is AI, or CP3, or even Jet. He's a great guy to score when teams are focused on Dirk, Josh and Jet first. A nice side dish, but a long way from a featured entree.

Last edited by G-Man; 12-19-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Spellin
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #84
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
It WAS a travel. it was the correct call.
Sure, but watch the usual James/Wade/Kobe getting such a call late in the game
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #85
MavsFanSinceDayOne

MavsFanSinceDayOne will become famous soon enough

This is among the worst called games that I've ever seen (maybe even the worst ever). The reason I say this is not necessarily for the high number of bad calls - which there were a lot of bad calls - but the reason this may have been the worst called game ever is because several times the refs used instant replay to clearly see what happened, and they STILL FREAKIN' GOT THE CALL WRONG!!!!

How in the world can an NBA referee see instant replays (in slow motion too) and STILL obviously miss the calls??? I just don't understand it. Could they actually be THAT incompetent?? Are they choosing to ignore what their eyes are seeing?

So frustrating.

Last edited by MavsFanSinceDayOne; 12-19-2009 at 03:42 PM.
MavsFanSinceDayOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #86
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I think this appeal is really interesting. I don't think anything's going to come of it for the Mavs, but the league seems to be in a bad spot here. Flagrant 1's are not reviewable, and I'm pretty sure it's not in the rulebook anywhere that you can assess a technical on a player while reviewing another call on replay.

Also an explanation for why there was no time put back on the clock at the end of regulation is mystifying.

The clear path call was a horrible call, but it happens. I'm not sure what the point of protesting that one is.
It just adds to the case of complete and utter incompetence. Just bolsters their case imo, another obviously ridiculously bad call, showing how incompetent these "refs" were.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #87
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Sure, but watch the usual James/Wade/Kobe getting such a call late in the game
Agreed but beside the point. Now if he'd have done a spin move he would have gotten away with anything, dumb*** refs can't call that to save their lives.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #88
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanSinceDayOne View Post
Could they actually be THAT incompetent??
You've answered your own question.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #89
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

Correct. The NBA realizes that in real time, some calls will be missed, i.e. the clear path foul. There is nothing they can do about that. However, if you bring forward a case that involves the referees illegally reviewing a foul, or not reviewing when they could of, that's when the NBA might take notice. If you can get the refs for misusing the rules, which appears to have happened, maybe something will come of it.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #90
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3bX3Wbgcz4

Kidd and Anderson.

Sorry, IMO, Kidd is not bracing at all, he's clearly moving forward with his forearm stuck out.
Should have been a flagrant-1 plus a tech on Anderson for the stuff he did on the end. Just like the Dampier-Brooks one was eventually incorrectly called.

I can't say I know why Kidd did that, though. There was a referee standing RIGHT BEHIND HIM. Obviously, Kidd isn't one to just go take people out. Anderson must have done something to him earlier in the game, or said something that Kidd couldn't take.

I suppose that if the refs heard what Anderson said to Kidd that got him pissed (assuming that was the reason), maybe they let Kidd off light? I wouldn't think so...letting your emotions get out of control due to somebody else's words isn't exactly encouraged by the league. Really confusing game, and especially that sequence of events.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #91
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
This is like british FA Cup finals. Two carded out. 3 teeth missing. One player at the medic. 8 minutes added time. Rigged refs. One Terry on the field...

Is there anything missing ?

I gotta spread some rep!!!

That was freakin awesome, great FA Cup references!!! Finally, I'm able to laugh at this horrible match...bitter about the officiating throughout the game, not just at the end.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #92
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanSinceDayOne View Post
This is among the worst called games that I've ever seen (maybe even the worst ever). The reason I say this is not necessarily for the high number of bad calls - which there were a lot of bad calls - but the reason this may have been the worst called game ever is because several times the refs used instant replay to clearly see what happened, and they STILL FREAKIN' GOT THE CALL WRONG!!!!

How in the world can an NBA referee see instant replays (in slow motion too) and STILL obviously miss the calls??? I just don't understand it. Could they actually be THAT incompetent?? Are they choosing to ignore what their eyes are seeing?

So frustrating.

They are just giving validity to the things being said by Tim Donaghy!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #93
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Should have been a flagrant-1 plus a tech on Anderson for the stuff he did on the end. Just like the Dampier-Brooks one was eventually incorrectly called.

I can't say I know why Kidd did that, though. There was a referee standing RIGHT BEHIND HIM. Obviously, Kidd isn't one to just go take people out. Anderson must have done something to him earlier in the game, or said something that Kidd couldn't take.

I suppose that if the refs heard what Anderson said to Kidd that got him pissed (assuming that was the reason), maybe they let Kidd off light? I wouldn't think so...letting your emotions get out of control due to somebody else's words isn't exactly encouraged by the league. Really confusing game, and especially that sequence of events.
I would have to re-watch the game. I expect that jkiddo had gotten some extra curricular activities on some picks that we set by anderson earlier. So when he got a chance to set a pick of his own, he took it.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #94
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post

Kidd's reputation as a veteran defensive player definitely helped him. It is hard to guess what happened just by looking at that clip. Perhaps Kidd was blindsighted and ran into Anderson? It sure didn't look that way. Get this, though: this is his 16th season and he has committed just 1 (yes, one) flagrant in his whole career so he's not someone who plays dirty or takes people out. I think there's a more reasonable explanation as to why Kidd went after Anderson following the collision. Anderson must have said something inflammatory and things got out of hand. The whole incident was bizarre.

Last edited by aurelino9; 12-20-2009 at 07:06 PM.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote