Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #1121
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

They say Hurd may have a high ankle sprain. Oh, dear! Are we really going to roll Amendola out there against Cleveland? Baptize him by fire, I suppose!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #1122
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

That George guy was badass.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #1123
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default daily fluff

Thinning Hurd
Cowboys Receiver Hurt In 16-10 Win Over Minnesota

link

IRVING, Texas - The looming task of finalizing the 53-man roster just got a little tougher for Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips thanks to a "downer" in Thursday night's preseason finale.

The Cowboys edged Minnesota, 16-10, on a night reserved largely for the reserves at Texas Stadium. Twenty-eight players sat, including all but one projected starter (fullback Deon Anderson), enabling the coaching staff to evaluate nearly every fringe player on the roster before Saturday's cuts.

But now Phillips must decide how to replenish a near-barren receiving corps further hindered by the loss of third-year veteran Sam Hurd, who suffered an apparent high ankle sprain on a 35-yard reverse play in the first quarter and left the stadium in a protective boot.

"That's a real concern, certainly," Phillips said. "We were only going to play him for a series and he made a big play. That was the downer of the game."

Hurd, who will have an MRI exam on Friday, seemed confident he could return in time for the Sept. 7 season opener in Cleveland with proper rest and treatment. But team doctors project that he'll be doubtful for the game due to the lingering nature of a high ankle sprain, which involves the ligaments connecting the tibia and fibia on the lower leg. Generally that type of injury requires a week of evaluation before an accurate timetable can be set.

The Cowboys are down to two healthy receivers from last year's active roster - starters Terrell Owens and Patrick Crayton, who did not play on Thursday. Third-year veteran Miles Austin could miss at least the first two regular-season games with a sprained MCL, and second-year wideout Isaiah Stanback's shoulder subluxation makes him highly doubtful for the opener.

Hurd, who went undrafted in 2006, had climbed into the No. Three spot as the only backup with starting experience. Now the Cowboys must strongly consider keeping rookie free agent Danny Amendola and/or first-year receiver Mike Jefferson, who caught a combined five passes from third-string quarterback Richard Bartel (28-of-41, 233 yards) against the Vikings.

Hurd's injury also means yet another core special teams player could be unavailable against Cleveland. Linebackers Kevin Burnett and Anthony Spencer (knee scopes) remain sidelined in addition to Austin and Stanback, who have kickoff-return experience.

The offense also could be without starting left guard Kyle Kosier (foot sprain, hairline fracture) for at least the first month of the season. Pat McQuistan and Cory Procter worked in Kosier's spot Thursday night, with McQuistan playing into the fourth quarter. Procter started at center in place of Andre Gurode (rest).

"Very disappointing," Hurd said. "I wanted to be there to help out the team. It's very disappointing that all of us receivers got hurt and for anybody to get hurt, but that's the name of the game."

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones guarded against ruling out Hurd for the opener until further notice. He also dismissed the idea of acquiring a veteran receiver for depth because that player probably wouldn't firmly grasp the offense before some combination of Hurd, Austin and Stanback return.

"We want people on the field with [Tony] Romo that Romo's been throwing to," Jones said. "We won't have anybody out there that has not been on the team trying to move the ball against Cleveland."

Free agent Terry Glenn is one exception, having played with Romo for five seasons before the Cowboys released him on the first day of training camp practice in Oxnard, Calif., due to his problematic right knee and questions about his conditioning. But Jones said he hasn't communicated with Glenn since a day or two into camp and doesn't know in what kind of shape he is in.

When asked if he planned to contact Glenn, Jones was non-committal.

"I'm going to keep that to myself, one way or the other," Jones said.

Any team who signs Glenn before next Tuesday would have to guarantee his vested veteran salary for the entire season. In the short term, at least, the Cowboys must decide whether inexperienced receivers like Amendola and Jefferson will make the team.

Amendola's signing after the draft garnered much attention despite his undrafted status. He had a productive career at Texas Tech and drew size/speed/hands comparisons to fellow Red Raider alum Wes Welker.

Thursday night, he caught two passes for 17 yards, returned one kickoff for 22 yards and averaged nine yards on four punt returns. He muffed one ball, but the fumble was wiped out by a catch interference penalty on Minnesota.

"Of course coming into the deal, being a free agent, I always thought I could play at this level," he said. "When it's all said and done - camp's over, this final preseason game is over - I think I can play at this level."

With three backup receivers out, the Cowboys might need him to do just that in 10 days.

Cowboys Audition Candidates to Replace Kosier

After starting left guard Kyle Kosier was lost for possibly six weeks with a foot injury, the Cowboys began looking for his replacement, intending to rotate backups Pat McQuistan, Cory Procter and Joe Berger at the position in Thursday's preseason game against the Vikings.

But by time the Cowboys defeated Minnesota, 16-10, at Texas Stadium, the left guard situation may have become even more complex.

McQuistan, who was moved from right tackle after Kosier's injury, still seems to be the favorite since he played at the position well into the fourth quarter and seemed to hold his own. The Cowboys pulled him midway through the fourth and replaced him with Procter, who started the game at center. Not only did Procter receive less time at guard, but he was already worn out when he was switched there after playing up until that point at center. Berger didn't budge from the right guard position all game.

Procter doesn't know why the coaching staff waited so long to give him a look at left guard, even though he is more experienced at the position than McQuistan, who spent all of last year and this year's training camp at tackle.

Perhaps, he suggested, it was because new offensive line coach Hudson Houck hasn't really seen him play guard since he joined the Cowboys.

"Shoot, I've been playing center all camp," Procter said. "Coach Houck came in, and he may have just assumed I was a center because all last year, I think I had one game with a couple reps at guard. All the rest were center. He's not going to look at film other than last year's."

That argument doesn't really hold in the case of McQuistan, whom Houck would have only seen at tackle. Despite McQuistan seeing the lion's share of the reps during the game, Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said it's impossible to evaluate all candidates until he reviews the game tape.

"It's hard to evaluate the inside blockers until we look at the tape," Phillips said. "Once we get the tape, I think we'll have a better feel how each of those guys played."

There is one player in the running for the starting job who won't show up against the Vikings, because he wasn't there - guard Montrae Holland, whom the Cowboys acquired in a trade with Denver earlier on Thursday. But Phillips did get a good look at Denver's 16-game starter from last season during the week of practices the Cowboys had against Denver before the second preseason game.

"We worked against him in Denver," Phillips said. "We were impressed with the guy. He's more our type than (the Broncos') type. They are a sideways finesse team. He's more of a power guy."

Holland has much more starting experience than McQuistan or Procter, having started every game last season in Denver, and will join the team tomorrow pending a physical, according to owner and general manager Jerry Jones.

Still, he'll have a lot of catch-up to do, so the Cowboys will count on either McQuistan, Procter or Berger to fill the void before they decide if Holland can be of use.

"I think he can get ready quickly," Phillips said of Holland. "What we'll do depends on how quickly he can get ready and what our other guys look like."

Logjam At Linebacker

The Cowboys are down two key reserve linebackers in Kevin Burnett and Anthony Spencer, who both had knee scopes and will likely be out for the season opener at Cleveland on Sept. 7.

As a result, the Cowboys may have to go long at the linebacker position when it comes to trimming down the roster. In Thursday's game, a few roster hopefuls did their best to show why they deserve to be one of the 53 players who will make the team, particularly linebackers Tearrius George and Tyson Smith.

Smith nabbed an interception in the first quarter, and finished the game with two pass deflections and five tackles, tied for the team lead. George did his best DeMarcus Ware impression, sacking quarterback Brooks Bollinger twice and pressuring him numerous other times, including a spree where he sacked Bollinger and then hit him while throwing on the next two plays.

Neither player has really shown up in the three other preseason games, but the recent injury situation may have been extra motivation, although both players downplayed its role in their performances.

"Just playing for the Cowboys is motivation enough, regardless of who's hurt or not, but it does add to it," George said. "You've got to think of all those x-factors."

After being quiet all preseason, no one may be more surprised at Smith's performance than Smith himself, who is still getting used to playing on the inside.

"This is something totally new to me," Smith said. "I've never really played middle before. I've come a long way, and I give credit to (assistant linebackers) coach Dat (Nguyen) and (linebackers) Coach (Reggie) Herring. I haven't looked this good ever, but it paid off tonight."

If the Cowboys do keep an extra linebacker, they will have to decide which they need more, an outside 'backer or an inside one. With Spencer out, there is no proven backup who was on last year's roster to spell Ware and veteran Greg Ellis, while on the inside, both starters Zach Thomas and Bradie James can fill Burnett's role in the nickel defense, along with Bobby Carpenter.

For Smith and George, they just hope they showed enough to sway the coaches' decision.

"It's one of those games where you just had to put it out there and do what you can do," George said.

Kickoff By Committee

The entire preseason, the Cowboys have left arguably their most potent kickoff-return weapon, first round draft pick Felix Jones, on the sideline in those situations, hoping to preserve him for the regular season. Meanwhile, several different players received reps returning kicks - wide receivers Isaiah Stanback and Danny Amendola, corners Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick, and running back Alonzo Coleman.

Of those players, Scandrick and Stanback had the most returns, each running back five kickoffs, followed by Amendola with three, and then Jenkins and Coleman with two. Stanback had the best average by far, with 29.6 yards per return, with Jenkins and Scandrick a distant second and third with 21.6 and 22.0 averages, respectively. Amendola and Coleman only mustered 17 yards a return.

So if Jones were to get hurt, who would fill in? The likely answer to that would be either Stanback or receiver Miles Austin, who handled return duties capably last season. But as of now, both are injured. The Cowboys would therefore likely go with Jenkins or Scandrick, both of whom are expected to make the team.

Cowboys Will Discuss Davis

The Cowboys are quite aware their former special teams captain Keith Davis has been released by the Miami Dolphins, but likely will wait until Friday to decide if they will attempt to re-sign the five-year veteran.

Davis, who signed a free-agent contract with the Dolphins and his former Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells, now Miami's director of football operations, was surprisingly released on Wednesday. Sources say Davis got off to a slow start in training camp after reinjuring the pectoral muscle he had repaired in the off-season. Also, Davis supposedly was somewhat disenchanted with the Dolphins, who in his mind were not giving him a chance to compete for the starting strong safety job. Davis had been listed as Miami's second-team strong safety.

When asked if the Cowboys would be interested in making an effort to re-sign Davis, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, "We haven't - we'll get into that tomorrow and see. It has everything to do with the kind of pressure we have on our 53-man roster."

Jones means the Cowboys might have to go long at other positions because of injuries, and will not have the luxury of keeping possibly a special teams player.

The Cowboys did put a phone call into his agent, Curtis Stephens. Davis, a five-year veteran, does not have to go through waivers before signing with a new team.

Dixon Debuts

Undrafted rookie defensive end Marcus Dixon got his first action of the preseason Thursday after battling through a back injury for much of training camp. While the long time off makes Dixon an unlikely candidate to make the Cowboys final 53-man roster, he may have at least earned himself a spot on the practice squad with what was actually a pretty good effort.

The 6-4, 285-pounder entered the game early in the second half, and batted down a pass at the 8:25 mark in the third quarter. He got heavy pressure on Vikings quarterback Brooks Bollinger on Minnesota's first offensive snap of the fourth quarter.

Wade Phillips said this week he didn't think Dixon would be able to play too much against Minnesota because he might not be in football shape after missing practice since Aug. 5. For Dixon, who overcame off-the-field issues before getting to play college football, the chance to play in an NFL game is a dream come true.

"It was definitely a battle," Dixon said. "I think tonight was well worth it. I got to play a football game with the Cowboys. When I knocked that ball down, I just went crazy.

Short Shots

Fourteen different Cowboys players had at least one reception Thursday night with Mike Jefferson, Rodney Hannah, Martellus Bennett and Keon Lattimore each having three catches. . . Smith's interception in the first quarter was the first turnover the Cowboys got in the preseason. Smith's pick led to the only touchdown of the game for Dallas . . .

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-29-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #1124
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking about dusting off the cleats and seeing if I can make a spot as wide receiver for the 'boys....i had pretty good hands back in the day, but I don't know if I could run a 4.5 40. Actually, I don't know that I can run 40 yards in a row, but still, the ranks are looking pretty thin there.

As caseman notes above, that George dude was a badass. As caseman has had trouble grapsing, that george dude was going up against a bunch of scrubs....what happens in preseason stays in preseason.

let the real games begin.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #1125
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Folk hit two 52-yarders last night. What a stud.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #1126
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Folk hit two 52-yarders last night. What a stud.
Our kicking coach is a stud.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #1127
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
He IS rather handsome...

<swoon>

Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #1128
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Nick Folk is on line! Is it long enough?? THE COWBOYS.... WIN.... Wait, no, Buffalo called a time out!

Again for the win... Again from 53 yards... This kick is online again! And AGAIN, IT IS GOOD! THE COWBOYS STUN THE BILLS, 25-24!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #1129
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Folk is awesome. It's nice having a dependable kicker. (Knock on wood)

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #1130
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Its amazing that we never drafted a kicker and we finally do and get a beast. All those cheap routes we went with kickers. Vanderjack-off, Cundiff, one of the Gramatica boys........
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #1131
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
We don't have a kicking coach...Bill got rid of him.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #1132
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
We don't have a kicking coach...Bill got rid of him.
touche

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 08-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #1133
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Did I read somewhere we're actually the underdog week 1? True or just poking the gambling bear and increasing more bets.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-29-2008 at 03:49 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #1134
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
Did I read somewhere we're actually the underdog week 1? True or just poking the gambling bear and increasing more bets.
I haven't seen a line but I was thinking about it today. My guess would be Cowboys by 3.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #1135
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas is favored 4. The total is 48.5.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #1136
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

www.sportsbook.com

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #1137
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Folk is awesome. It's nice having a dependable kicker. (Knock on wood)
Yeah, but I myself preferred the unique brand of high comedy that Vanderjagt offered.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #1138
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas Cowboys blog: Larry Allen will retire as a Dallas Cowboy

Dallas Cowboys blog: Larry Allen will retire as a Dallas Cowboy

Quote:
05:45 PM CDT on Friday, August 29, 2008

From Wire Reports

The Dallas Cowboys signed guard Larry Allen Friday so that the Pro Bowl guard may retire with the team. A formal announcement and recognition by the Cowboys will be made at a later time.

Allen played in Dallas from 1994 to 2005 and earned 10 Pro Bowl selections. He spent the last two seasons with the San Francisco 49ers and earned a trip to the Pro Bowl following the 2006 season.

Hall of Famer Bob Lilly is the only Cowboys player to earn more Pro Bowl selections (11), than Allen, and Mel Renfro is the only other man in club history to earn 10 Pro Bowl trips. He was also a seven time All-Pro selection. Allen was a second round draft choice out of Sonoma State by Dallas in 1994.

The Cowboys released guard Adam Stenavich to create a roster spot for Allen.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.2bf58a9.html
Old 08-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #1139
sike
The Preacha

Good!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #1140
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Is Allen playing another year or is he just retiring with the 'Boys like Allen did? Regardless, Allen was a great player. I'm glad he'll retire a Cowboy.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #1141
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

He's gonna retire like Emmitt did.

Last edited by Windmill360; 08-29-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #1142
Underdog

Default daily fluff

Decisions, Decisions
Injuries Leaving Little Wiggle Room

link

IRVING, Texas - Admit it, these words came out of your mouth the past 24 hours.

When it rains, it pours.

Never seems to fail . . .

Why us?

That's only natural when one position on your favorite team is attacked by a hard drive-like debilitating virus, better known as injury.

First, you try to qualify how in the world the Cowboys, figuring to keep just five receivers on their 53-man roster when the final cuts are made at 3 p.m. (CDT) this Saturday, could suffer injuries to their third, fourth and fifth receivers severe enough to possibly keep all three out of the Sept. 7 season opener against Cleveland.

Then you get sort of irritated, and the I-told-you-so's in all of you come flooding out, as in I told you they should have drafted a wide receiver or I told you they should have traded for a wide receiver or I told you they should have signed one of these veteran wide receivers or I told you they should not have cut Terry Glenn.

And then you calm down a little after logically sifting through all the available information, and suddenly you become a tad melancholy, feeling sorry for yourself, er, your team, wondering how in the world could it be met with such misfortune so close to the start of such a promising season and at the 11th hour of cuts?

OK, please, come down from the ledge. Shut the window. Come on, it's like 95 degrees outside, you're letting all the cool air out. Now, this is in no way an attempt to minimize the predicament the Cowboys are in, assured of only two healthy, front-line receivers active for the first game of the season now just nine days away. Not good, especially when you have to make decisions which could turn out to be irreversible 24 hours later.

Just to let you know, there have been no air raid sirens screaming out here at The Ranch on Friday, nor have I seen any EMT's around the place. No one seems to be panicking, knowing this is a temporary problem they must solve, one they must figure out a short-term solution to that does not cripple the long-term picture. And as far as we can tell, no APB's have been placed for available wide receivers.

Now this is not to say the Cowboys aren't looking, or won't be scanning Saturday's waive wire with a fine-tooth comb, no matter how they protest. You have heard about being sly as a fox, or, let me cliché you to death, not showing 'em your hand, or better yet, never letting them see you sweat.

Please. They will do everything they can to bail water at the receiver position with Miles Austin likely out another three to five weeks; Isaiah Stanback out maybe another week, and who knows, possibly longer; and now Sam Hurd out with a high ankle sprain at least for the opener, validating Cowboys team physician Dr. Dan Cooper's position after Thursday night's preseason game - without even seeing an MRI - that the third-year wideout would be "doubtful" for the opener.

Plus, these high ankle deals are so weird. They can be two weeks or two months. Stanback's return timetable is kind of vague, too. The other day he could not lift his arm parallel to his shoulders after suffering the subluxation against Houston on Aug. 22. But by Monday he could, and by Thursday he was actually raising both arms over his head playing catch before the game. Austin, oh he's running pretty hard since suffering the second-degree sprain of the MCL in his right knee, but only straight ahead. He should miss at least two games you'd think.

Predicting their returns is not an exact science, but tell you what, with the cuts coming tomorrow, the opinions of Dr. Cooper and Jim Maurer's staff of trainers will be as important as what Jason Garrett and Ray Sherman might think in the room.

So let's see where the Cowboys might find some wiggle room on this roster and where the debates will take place.

Let's start with the relatively easy ones here, dealing in minimums: Three special teamers (kicker, punter, deep snapper), two quarterbacks, four running backs, three tight ends and 10 offensive linemen. And if that is the case, with the trade for Montrae Holland, it would appear James Marten is in a bit of trouble for the 53-man, but eligible for the practice squad since he never was included on a game-day 45-man roster last year.

OK, that's 22.

Now then, six defensive linemen, at least eight linebackers and 10 defensive backs. That's 24.

So now we're up to 46 - eight spots remaining.

All right, now if you're not cutting any of these injured receivers or placing any on injured reserve, you got to keep five of them. And if you are not placing Kyle Kosier (foot) on injured reserve to save a roster spot, knowing he's going to be out likely a minimum of six weeks, then that brings us to 51 - and there, my friends is your wiggle room.

Two.

Where you going?

Want a wide receiver? You get one, and the one the Cowboys end up keeping on Saturday, either Danny Amendola or Mike Jefferson, must be better than any receiver with a handful of experience who gets cut on Saturday. Otherwise . . . Danny, Mike, don't buy a house if you make it. And remember, if you have this hankering to go sign a veteran, a minimum of five years in the league, he's yours for the season - or at least his salary is if he takes the one-time guarantee should he get cut later in the season.

One spot remaining.

You want to keep either Erik Walden or Tearrius George, although the head coach made George's Thursday night assault on Vikings quarterbacks seem a flash in the pan? That then would be nine linebackers, because as porous as the Cowboys' special teams can be, they almost must keep Justin Rogers.

Or do you want to keep an extra cornerback, since it would seem the Cowboys would keep six corners and four safeties for the 10-man secondary corps? To me, now that Adam Jones has been reinstated and Terence Newman is back practicing, that means lopping off either Alan Ball or Evan Oglesby. (Ball is practice-squad eligible.)

You're interested in signing last year's special teams captain Keith Davis, released on Wednesday by the Dolphins? That would come at the expense of Courtney Brown, because at this point, down three receivers, one offensive line starter and two linebackers, although Kevin Burnett is scheduled to resume practicing on Wednesday, Davis would be considered a luxury.

Or what about this Rodney Hannah kid? He's shown a little something during the preseason.

And remember all that talk about picking up a third quarterback with some NFL experience? Right. The Cowboys got other fish to fry.

Thus the ultimate juggling act: Immediate need vs. eye to the future.

So at this point, do they keep one more receiver? Two more receivers? One more receiver and one more linebacker? An extra receiver or linebacker and extra DB?

Give me a receiver, and that doesn't necessarily mean one already on campus, plus the best special teams player I can get my hands on, be it an extra linebacker or defensive back. The rest would just be too frivolous for my roster blood.

When you look at it like that, this really isn't too different from where the Cowboys would have been, trying to trim to 53, without Hurd getting injured Thursday night. Fine.

But telling you, just one more injury at wide receiver . . .

And it's back to the windowsill.

Larry Allen Re-Signs With Cowboys To Retire

The Cowboys have signed Larry Allen, 10-times a Pro Bowler with the club, so the former offensive lineman may retire with the team that drafted him.

He is considered a sure-fire Cowboys Ring of Honor candidate and likely a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer.

Allen earned 11 Pro Bowl trips total in his career, the last coming in 2006, his first year with the 49ers. After playing with the Cowboys from 1994-2005, he played the final two years of his career in San Francisco. A formal announcement and recognition will be made by the Cowboys later, the organization said.

Hall of Fame defensive lineman Bob Lilly is the only Cowboys player to earn more Pro Bowl trips as a member of the club (11) than Allen, and defensive back Mel Renfro is the only other man to earn double-digit Pro Bowl trips as a Cowboy.

In terms of Pro Bowl selections, Allen is the most decorated offensive player in club history, surpassing five Hall-of-Famers. He is one of just three players in NFL history to earn a Pro Bowl trip at three different line positions, left tackle, left guard and right tackle. He also played some right guard early in his career. He was a seven-time All-Pro selection and a member of the 1990s All-Decade team.

He was a consensus All-Rookie team selection in 1994 and the NFL Players Association's pick for Offensive Lineman of the Year in 1996 and 1997.

Allen was a compensatory second-round draft choice out of Sonoma State by Dallas in 1994, the 46th overall selection that year. As a starter his second-year, Allen earned a ring for the team's Super Bowl XXX win over Pittsburgh.

Allen started 197 of 203 career games, and paved the way for many of Emmitt Smith's all-time record 18,355 career rushing yards.

The 6-3, 325-pounder may be the strongest player in NFL history, having recorded a 700-pound bench press.

Allen was a free agent following the 2007 season, but had not filed his official retirement papers. In July, there was speculation he might interested in returning to the 49ers after coach Mike Nolan said he had contacted the team's offensive line coach, George Warhop, the Cowboys line coach from 2003-04.

"He called a week or two ago to express his interest, but I haven't heard from him since," Nolan said in July. "I just think because he's a free agent, he just left it up to his agent this time."

To make room for Allen the Cowboys waived first-year guard Adam Stenavich.

Burnett Expected To Practice Next Week

Although Cowboys wide receiver Sam Hurd will miss the regular-season opener with a high ankle sprain, at least head coach Wade Phillips got one piece of positive injury news on Friday:

Linebacker Kevin Burnett (knee scope) should be ready to return to practice next Wednesday, the team's customary first full practice on a regular work week, and could be available next Sunday at Cleveland (3:15 p.m. CDT).

"If he comes back and practices, I assume he'll be full go [in the opener]," Phillips said.

Burnett has been out since spraining his knee Aug. 13 in a joint practice with Denver. He had minor arthroscopic surgery two days later to remove chipped cartilage caused by bone spurs.

Burnett has been effective in the Cowboys' defensive substitution packages, and he's also emerged as a vocal leader on the special teams units. The Cowboys are missing four other special teams contributors: Hurd, linebacker Anthony Spencer (knee scope) and wide receivers Miles Austin (sprained knee) and Isaiah Stanback (dislocated shoulder).

Third Choice

If he hadn't done so already, fourth-round pick Tashard Choice cemented his place as the Cowboys' third running back with another solid game Thursday night. He carried six times for 21 yards and bounced outside for a dynamic 11-yard touchdown run in the first quarter against Minnesota.

The question now becomes, can he earn any regular-season carries behind Marion Barber and Felix Jones?

"Well, I think he's shown he can do it," Phillips said. "Now, I don't know that we will need him to do it, basically. Barber is such a strong runner and a force. Looks like Felix is going to do some things for us, too. I don't know if you need that third guy playing. But it looks like he'll play special teams and be ready to go any time he needs to. I think you can see you can put him in the ballgame and he'll make yards for you."

Short Shots

The Cowboys must trim the roster from 75 to 53 on Saturday but can begin filling their eight-man practice squad once released players clear waivers on Sunday . . . Among the players who impressed Phillips against Minnesota was rookie cornerback Orlando Scandrick, who started opposite first-round pick Mike Jenkins with the Cowboys sitting their entire starting defense. Scandrick has been working at Terence Newman's slot position in nickel situations, and Phillips thinks the fifth-round pick can be a solid backup player there . . . The Dolphins recently contacted the Cowboys to gauge their interest in second-year quarterback John Beck, but Miami might be planning to keep their 2007 second-round pick after all. They reportedly traded backup Josh McCown to Carolina, who needed quarterback depth after former Cowboys rookie Matt Moore injured his leg in preseason.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #1143
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Ashley Lelie was released today. Any interest?
Old 08-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #1144
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

He couldn't hack it as the 9ers sixth receiver...so no.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #1145
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito
Ashley Lelie was released today. Any interest?
he's got a good name (phonetically speaking) and some speed. he was my fav wide out in madden 04...but that probably doesnt count for much. at least he'd be a veteran wr rather than taking a risk on some complete rookie. so yeah, there is some interest.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #1146
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

We cut Amendola and Jefferson; we must be signing a veteran.

Full cuts:

Quote:
Larry Allen (reserve/retired)
Danny Amendola
Drew Atchison
Remi Ayodele
Richard Bartel
Mark Bradford
Alonzo Coleman
Julius Crosslin
Dowayne Davis
Marcus Dixon
Tearrius George
Ryan Gibbons
Rodney Hannah
Mike Jefferson
Keon Lattimore
Cory Lekkerkerker (injury settlement)
Todd Lowber
Darrell Robertson
Junior Siavii
Marcus Smith
Tyson Smith
Erik Walden
Link

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #1147
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
he's got a good name (phonetically speaking) and some speed. he was my fav wide out in madden 04...but that probably doesnt count for much. at least he'd be a veteran wr rather than taking a risk on some complete rookie. so yeah, there is some interest.
yeah, he could catch everything in madden 08...
Old 08-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #1148
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

When was the last time Lelie scored a touchdown? Back with Denver? A couple of years ago? He had so much potential too. If you can't cut it in Atlanta or San Franciso I don't really have any interest. I was shocked to see Amedola and Jefferson cut. I was rooting for Lowber but you sort of knew he and Lattimore weren't going to make it. Hopefully they can get on some team or make the practice squad. I see Bartel possibly being a practice squad guy. Are the injuries not as bad as they assumed or are they going to just use 2 and 3 reciever sets and throw Curtis, Felix and Bennett out there as much as possible?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #1149
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

hire Rudi J as backup RB and put Felix as a wide out? o.O
Old 08-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #1150
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
hire Rudi J as backup RB and put Felix as a wide out? o.O
We're deep at running back even if we moved Felix to wide out. They seem to like Tashard Choice and I can't blame them.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:16 AM   #1151
Underdog

Cowboys... For Now
Don't Think This Is Final Roster

link

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys have their 53-man roster - for now.

They ended up going heavy, no pun intended, on the offensive line, keeping 11 of those guys - for now.

They went heavy at cornerback, and who knows, maybe they couldn't decide which guy to cut, Evan Oglesby or Alan Ball, so they kept them both, meaning seven cornerbacks - for now.

They went light at healthy wide receiver, keeping the top five, as expected, but meaning they have only two assured of playing come Sept. 7 on the 53-man roster - for now.

They stayed the course at linebacker, even if two guys are recovering from knee surgeries, though Kevin Burnett likely will resume practicing on Wednesday. Meaning they kept eight (four starters, four backups) - for now.

And there really were no surprises at quarterback, keeping two - for now.

So here is my guess: If you had been watching the Cowboys for all these many weeks since training camp began, and through the four preseason games, there should have been no problem cutting 20 of the 22 guys off this roster. Really few surprises . . . for now.

And as it turned out, these were just a few questions the Cowboys had to answer here Saturday morning, and all afternoon, since the NFL changed the time for the final cuts to 5 p.m. (CDT) since NFL Network had a 6 p.m. Cut Show scheduled, I'm guessing.

Do we cut Alan Ball or Evan Oglesby? The answer became neither, somehow the Cowboys unable to come to grips with releasing a guy they think can play in this league even if that meant having to keep more corners than they've kept in quite some time. But if they should find a player on the waiver wire that they just have to have, or already have put in a claim, they could afford to release either one of these guys down the road.

Do we cut James Marten or possibly place Kyle Kosier on injured reserve since he figures to be out almost half the season and since we just traded for Montrae Holland? The answer evidently was no and no, the Cowboys keeping an extra offensive lineman today, but again, who knows what happens tomorrow. (Marten is practice-squad eligible.)

Do we chance trying to get sixth-round draft choice Erik Walden through waivers and onto the practice squad? The answer was yes, and I'm guessing because the converted outside linebacker is making a position change, few teams would be interested in a guy who has shown promise on special teams, but has done little so far at outside linebacker. They will cross their fingers here.

Do we keep three quarterbacks, meaning keeping Richard Bartel? Or go with two as last year, hope to get Bartel through waivers onto the practice squad and then peruse the list of quarterbacks Saturday night landing on the waiver wire, which now includes Chris Simms, Joey Harrington, Anthony Wright and possibly Bruce Gradkowski? And the answer was yes. Really not surprising.

And finally, do we keep as many as six wide receivers, maybe even more, just because there now are only two totally healthy ones in the locker room? The answer was no, the Cowboys deciding against keeping either Danny Amendola or Mike Jefferson and sorting through the NFL cuts to see if they can pick up a better one with at least a little NFL experience.

Now for those wringing their hands, quit. Come on, if the Cowboys had kept either Amendola or Jefferson, they would have been no better than roster insurance on game day. If all stands as is, Jason Witten will be the third receiver in the nickel. Or Felix Jones will motion out to become the third receiver in the nickel. And absolutely nothing against Jefferson and Amendola, but they played an entire game on Thursday night against the Vikings' second- and third-teamers, and finished with three and two receptions, respectively. What happens when they go up against the Big Boys?

The Cowboys might not be done here, although they might get Isaiah Stanback back for Sunday's game against Cleveland. They will watch the wire, and yes, they know Ashley Lelie and Reche Caldwell have been released. The same with Eddie Drummond and Jamaica Rector. And they know Terry Glenn is still out there.

But you sign Lelie, Caldwell or Glenn, and they are yours for the season, or as I said on Friday, at least their contracts. None of that - for now - seems to get them excited. Remember, the Cowboys' injury situation is not everlasting, although Sam Hurd, while out at least for the opener, could be gone a month with this high ankle sprain, Miles Austin likely is another three weeks and Stanback is in limbo.

Here is the other thing. Teams are not finished adjusting their rosters, just as the Cowboys aren't. There could be other receivers of interest released in the next couple of days. No sense jumping to conclusions unless the guy you really want becomes available. So what they can do, assuming Amendola and Jefferson clear waivers, is go through practice this week and then on Friday sign one of them to the 53-man roster if bringing only two healthy receivers to Cleveland ultimately makes them nervous.

Cutting a guy on Friday you sort of like, and maybe can squeeze onto the practice squad 24 hours later, has a better chance of clearing waivers when teams are two days away from opening the season than they are this weekend.

Or, with the addition of Holland, you might have a chance to trade one of your backup guards for something, say a Cory Procter or Joe Berger instead of releasing, say, Marten, who appeared to be the odd man out, even if he was a third-round pick last year. Or maybe someone might give you a conditional pick for Marten at some point.

And this also buys the Cowboys some time with Kosier, who is expected to be out, remember, at least six weeks. But who knows? He might be out longer, which if he is, and if either Pat McQuistan, Joe Berger, Cory Procter or now Holland can handle left guard, then maybe Kosier lands on IR - opening up a roster spot.

See, that's why I'm saying, "As you were." Don't start screaming about why this or why that? Just settle down. None of this is etched in stone, and my advice to guys such as Marten, Ball, Oglesby and even Courtney Brown - the Cowboys have spoken with Keith Davis' rep - is not to buy a house tomorrow because this is a fluid situation.

This is only the Cowboys' 53-man roster . . .

For now.

Down To 53
WR Depth Still An Issue After Cuts

In returning most of his NFC East championship roster, Wade Phillips had fewer decisions than most head coaches on Saturday. But the Cowboys' 21 cuts to reach the league's 53-man limit still delivered a few surprises that could lead to potential tweaks in the coming days:

* Considering Terrell Owens and Patrick Crayton are the only healthy receivers with NFL experience, many assumed the Cowboys would keep one of two roster hopefuls, Danny Amendola or Mike Jefferson. Both were released, which means depth is still a concern.

* The Cowboys kept 11 defensive backs and offensive linemen, heavier totals than expected at both spots. Four backup guards (Pat McQuistan, Joe Berger, Cory Procter and James Marten) made the cut despite the acquisition of former Broncos starter Montrae Holland. Backup cornerbacks Evan Oglesby and Alan Ball pushed the position total to seven.

* Third-string quarterback Richard Bartel was released for the second consecutive year, but the Cowboys will keep their eyes peeled for a potential No. 3. Several experienced backups were waived Saturday, including Chris Simms and Joey Harrington, and the Cowboys have expressed some interest in grooming a third quarterback behind Tony Romo and Brad Johnson.

In addition to the 21 cuts, the Cowboys trimmed their 75-man roster to 53 by moving guard Larry Allen to the reserve/retired list. Allen was signed Friday to an honorary one-day contract that ensures he will retire a Cowboy after 14 NFL seasons, the first 12 in Dallas.

Most of the moves were expected - the Cowboys kept four running backs (three tailbacks, one fullback), three tight ends, six defensive linemen and four safeties. Sixth-round pick Erik Walden was the only waived draft choice. The club decided against keeping an extra backup linebacker despite injuries to Anthony Spencer (knee) and Kevin Burnett (knee). Burnett is expected to practice next week, however.

The Cowboys will begin filling their eight-man practice squad on Sunday once players clear the 24-hour waiver period. Strong candidates would appear to be Bartel, Amendola, Jefferson, Walden, tight end Rodney Hannah, defensive lineman Marcus Dixon and running backs Alonzo Coleman and Keon Lattimore.

Here's a closer look at the initial 53-man roster, eight days before the Cowboys open the regular season in Cleveland:

Quarterback (2)
Tony Romo
Brad Johnson
Summary: The Cowboys kept only two quarterbacks for the third consecutive year, and Bartel is probably headed back to the practice squad if he clears waivers. Bartel fought hard Thursday night in his first NFL start (28-of-41, 233 yards) but didn't get much help from his offensive line in the second half. Brad Johnson answered a lot of questions about his age by playing well against the Broncos' first-teamers on Aug. 16, but the Cowboys might sign a third quarterback at some point.

Running Back (4)
Marion Barber
Felix Jones
Tashard Choice
Deon Anderson
Summary: No surprises here. Barber and Jones will have significant roles in the offense, and Deon Anderson remains the lone fullback on the active roster. Choice earned the third tailback spot with a solid preseason, both on offense and special teams.

Wide Receiver (5)
Terrell Owens
Patrick Crayton
Sam Hurd
Miles Austin
Isaiah Stanback
Summary: This is clearly the most disconcerting position for Phillips because only Owens and Crayton are healthy enough for the opener right now. Stanback (shoulder subluxation) might be ready in time, but Austin (sprained MCL) and Hurd (high ankle sprain) won't play. Expect the Cowboys to scour the waiver wire over the next couple of days. Re-signing Amendola or Jefferson next week is another option, providing they clear waivers.

Tight End (3)
Jason Witten
Tony Curtis
Martellus Bennett
Summary: Cowboys owner Jerry Jones didn't discount keeping a fourth tight end, presumably Hannah, but injuries at other positions probably prevented that luxury. Curtis and Bennett, this year's second-round pick, could have a bigger offensive role until the Cowboys get healthier at wide receiver.

Offensive Line (11)
Flozell Adams
Kyle Kosier
Andre Gurode
Leonard Davis
Marc Colombo
Joe Berger
Cory Procter
Pat McQuistan
Doug Free
Montrae Holland
James Marten
Summary: This position could get trimmed at some point, but the Cowboys kept an extra lineman with starting left guard Kyle Kosier (foot sprain, hairline fracture) possibly out at least a month. McQuistan seemed to be Kosier's likely replacement last week, but Holland could be an option depending on how quickly he adjusts and whether the club wants to make McQuistan the primary backup swing tackle.

Defensive Line (6)
Marcus Spears
Jay Ratliff
Chris Canty
Tank Johnson
Jason Hatcher
Stephen Bowen
Summary: Three incumbent reserves (Tank Johnson, Jason Hatcher and Stephen Bowen) left no room for fringe linemen like Marcus Dixon and Tyson Smith. Starters Ratliff and Spears provide extra depth with their ability to play defensive end and nose tackle.

Linebacker (8)
Greg Ellis
DeMarcus Ware
Zach Thomas
Bradie James
Kevin Burnett
Anthony Spencer
Bobby Carpenter
Justin Rogers
Summary: The first eight spots appeared stable all along. Rogers is a solid special teams player and he can play inside or outside linebacker. Walden and Tearrius George fought for a spot in preseason, but Burnett's progress likely made a ninth linebacker unnecessary.

Cornerback (7)
Terence Newman
Anthony Henry
Adam Jones
Mike Jenkins
Orlando Scandrick
Alan Ball
Evan Oglesby
Summary: Easily the most competitive position. Most assumed Ball and Oglesby were competing for the sixth and final spot, but both performed well enough on defense and special teams to stick around. Oglesby is no longer practice squad eligible and Ball might not have sneaked through waivers.

Safety (4)
Ken Hamlin
Roy Williams
Pat Watkins
Courtney Brown
Summary: The total could expand to five if special teams ace Keith Davis indeed returns to Dallas after getting cut by Miami on Wednesday. Right now Watkins and Brown are the backup safeties.

Specialists (3)
K Nick Folk
P Mat McBriar
LS L.P. Ladouceur
Summary: No need for change. Folk, McBriar and Ladouceur are as good as it gets at their respective positions.

Here is a complete list of the Cowboys' roster moves to reach the 53-man limit:

Reserve/Retired:
Larry Allen

Waived:
Danny Amendola
Drew Atchison
Remi Ayodele
Richard Bartel
Mark Bradford
Alonzo Coleman
Julius Crosslin
Dowayne Davis
Marcus Dixon
Tearrius George
Ryan Gibbons
Rodney Hannah
Mike Jefferson
Keon Lattimore
Cory Lekkerkerker (injury settlement)
Todd Lowber
Darrell Robertson
Junior Siavii
Marcus Smith
Tyson Smith
Erik Walden

Last edited by Underdog; 08-31-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #1152
Underdog

Thumbs up

Cowboys Close To Re-Signing Keith Davis

link

Everyone loves Christmas presents, no matter when they come.

Special teams coach Bruce Read is about to get one here in late August.

The Cowboys are negotiating with former safety and special teams ace Keith Davis and plan to re-sign the veteran by the end of the weekend.

Davis, who signed a free-agent deal with the Dolphins in the off-season, was released by Miami earlier this week. Apparently, Davis had re-injured his shoulder just before training camp and by the time he finally got healthy, it was too late for him to get into the mix as a starter. And the chance to start was the main reason Davis opted to leave the Cowboys in the first place.

So the Dolphins cut ties, putting Davis looking for a job again.

Not sure about the rest of the league and the needs for quality special teams players, but it’s safe to say the Cowboys were hurting in the coverage units.

So adding Davis is the perfect fit. Now, how he fits on the 53-man roster is still uncertain.

However, despite the Cowboys trimming the roster down to 53 late Saturday afternoon, expect a few changes on the roster before the team resumes practice this week.

Two healthy receivers? No way. Look for the Cowboys to do something at that position. And currently, the club has 11 defensive backs and 11 offensive linemen. If you add Davis, that makes 12 DB’s. So something has to give and it likely will happen here on Sunday. There’s always some moving and shaking going on the day after cut-down day.

But as it stands now, Keith Davis is back in the picture and should be re-joining the team once again.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #1153
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I would assume Ball gets cut for Davis, unless they want to cut an actual safety. I think they kept Ball initially for his special teams play, which obviously Davis fills.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #1154
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Is Davis okay with just being a ST superstar?

Wasn't he mad in Miami because Big Bill didn't give him a starting position.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #1155
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Is Davis okay with just being a ST superstar?

Wasn't he mad in Miami because Big Bill didn't give him a starting position.
Well, he left a winning team to go to a losing team because he thought he would start.

I imagine the prospect of playing on a terrible team AND not starting was what pissed him off in Miami.

In Dallas he'll just play special teams, but at least he'll be on a title contender.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #1156
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Yea the Keith Davis situation is wierd. Are we keeping Ball for his special teams play or his defensive coverage? If its the latter i'd prefer keeping him over Keith Davis. I don't see how Keith Davis will get any play at our safety position. But I think he's fine with being a special teams player since he's interested in coming back. We're deep as hell at our defensive back positions. We were pitiful last year but I don't recall this team being this deep in years.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #1157
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I just read most of the cuts. Since Simms got cut, are the Cowboys hoping no one picks him up so they can grab him?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #1158
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I just read most of the cuts. Since Simms got cut, are the Cowboys hoping no one picks him up so they can grab him?
I'd rather have Joey Harrington (but not really - grab a WR!)

Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #1159
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

The Startlegram is saying we're targeting Brooks Bollinger.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-31-2008, 09:55 PM   #1160
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
The Startlegram is saying we're targeting Brooks Bollinger.
Really? Vikings don't really even know if they have a starter and they cut that guy. I mean yea its a 3rd string qb we're looking for but i'd like to think Harrington and Simms are better options at this point.