Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-13-2002, 07:49 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, i don't know much about UTA, or UTD..but, my grad school choices are down to those two along with UNT.

anyone know anything about the programs...i'm going for accounting.

?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2002, 07:55 PM   #2
jules88

jules88 is on a distinguished road

I'm still an undergrad, but I am going for my degree in business. Anyone who has anything to do with accounting has my respect. Accounting has been by far the most difficult class I have had to take. Are you wanting to stay in Texas?
Old 04-13-2002, 08:13 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

umm..UTA, UTD, or UNT..all in texas

i haven't heard much about the GMAT..is it supposed to be hard?
Old 04-13-2002, 09:37 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

So are you going for an MBA? Why not SMU or UT Austin, which have much better programs imo? UTD's program is pretty easy to get into though..a couple of my friends are in it (due to the crappy job market) but I dunno..as a current grad student there, I wouldn't recommend going there unless you're just dead set on it. Boring campus, boring people, boring profs..yech! I'm sure the education's ok though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 09:38 PM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I heard the GMAT's pretty difficult. My sis took it and did ok, but probably not good enough to get into a school like Stanford so she plans on retaking it. Be sure to take a prep course for it.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:39 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

UNT is ranked almost as high as smu..and much cheaper.
UNT is/was ranked as one of the top 20 business schools in the U.S.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:40 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

i'm not interested too much in the campus..or the students..or even less in the professors..just want to take as many classes as soon as possible to get my masters..

i would need 36 hours..but at UTD, i think i might actually have 3-4 of the classes..so, that would be cool if they will transfer..and they probably will (according to someone in the business school for grads or somesuch)
Old 04-13-2002, 09:43 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

Hmm then maybe check out UTD then. Since you're going to be there just for the classes (like me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) you probably won't mind too much. I guess having such a boring campus also gets you in gear and makes it harder to screw around [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2002, 09:47 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

and for awhile..that was all that college was good for..hanging out with the football players for one of the worst football teams in the history of D-1...partying..and other things
Old 04-14-2002, 01:03 AM   #10
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Having 3-4 of the classes is a really nice start. Definitely something to consider. On the other hand, a school as well ranked as UNT might make it worth starting from scratch. IMO how you feel in the environment makes a big difference too.
Can you start on a "probabtionary basis" (or whatever it's called), and take the GMAT after starting your first semester?
36 hours for a masters doesn't seem too bad.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:02 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

You should wipe your list clean and go to Baylor.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 02:43 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

36 hours for a masters is pretty much the norm..

and i'm not gonna take a step down and go to baylor
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2002, 02:57 PM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

My advice, go to the place with the best reputation in the business community in which you hope to work. I assume that would be Dallas. If so, go to SMU if you can afford it. They are a top-tier business school. UNT, UTA, TCU are not. SMU will also do a better job of getting you a job when you get out.

And you can afford it if you are willing to take on the debt. Which sucks, but sometimes it is what you have to do.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:44 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

smu..well, it's good..but not really considered that much better than UNT at all.. and for the cost, well, it doesn't make sense to drop that kind of money for a slightly better degree..
Old 04-15-2002, 07:29 PM   #15
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Murph, i attended UTA, and it was a great experience, i not currently enrolled there because there undergrad progrom sux for underclassmen, but there isnt a better place in the state to get your grad. degree. The school is loaded and has major conection in just about every job market. Im going back next summer
Old 04-15-2002, 07:34 PM   #16
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

unt is the prototipcal private college that just happens to be public and EXTREMELY liberal, i used to smoke joints walking through the campus on my monthly visits because quit frankly no one cared, plus your a mere 10 or so exits away from the metroplex.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:37 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

and i'm not gonna take a step down and go to baylor [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Of course this is a type-o...you meant come down to Waco of course....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:04 PM   #18
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

<< smu..well, it's good..but not really considered that much better than UNT at all.. and for the cost, well, it doesn't make sense to drop that kind of money for a slightly better degree.. >>

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. UNT does not have a good reputation at all. As far as the local schools go, UNT probably would rank sixth locally behind SMU, TCU, UTD, UTA, UDallas. Academically, it is not very good either. Your professors are going to be guys that got their doctorates from places like Arizona State, Tulsa, and Texas Tech, as opposed to the SMU profs from Harvard, MIT, and Stanford. The guys you go to class with will be of a much lower quality as well. I can't tell you what the average GMAT score at UNT is, but I doubt they turn anyone away. If you are looking for an affordable MBA, I'd go look at UTD. They have the best Phd programs in the metroplex, and because of that, they have some really smart guys in the program. It doesn't have the national reputation that SMU, or even TCU has, but academically it is comparable. I really think you should do some more research on this.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:13 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

actually, unt has a very good business reputation..smu is slightly higher..but not much
Old 04-16-2002, 08:14 AM   #20
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

US News and World Report released their graduate school rankings a couple of weeks ago. The SMU Cox School of Business is in the top tier; UNT, TCU, UTD, UTA are not.

So, I would say that SMU has a significantly better reputation.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 04-16-2002, 08:24 AM   #21
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Again, do your research. I'm not sure where you heard that UNT had a business school comparable to SMU, but that statement is ridiculously false. There are plenty of publications that put out annual rankings - Business week, US News and World Report, the Wall Street Journal. Check them out. SMU is consistently ranked in the thirties nationally, occasionally in the top ten. Not only has UNT never made it in a national ranking, I'm certain that no publication has ever even considered them for review. In fact, I am almost positive they don't even have an accredited MBA program, so they aren't even eligible. They have a no national reputation, a terrible local one, a sixth rate faculty, and the dregs of the world as a student body. Murph, once you get your masters degree, you can't go back and do it over again. In selecting UNT, you will be forced to put &quot;MBA, UNT&quot; on your resume for the rest of your life. There is nothing that tells people more about you than where you went to school. I suggest that you take this issue a little more seriously and make an informed choice. By your comments about UNT, I can tell you haven't looked into this much yet.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:11 AM   #22
Dooby
Diamond Member

Murph, please look beyond Madape's tone. Generally, I agree, although I would not bash UNT in the process. The point is that their are two names on any diploma: yours and your school's. They both mean something. Contrary to what some people will tell you, a degree is not just a degree. You should always pick the school with the best national reputation. We aren't talking a marginal difference; the difference between a top-tier school and a second or third-tier school is huge (I think in terms of tiers because that is how they rank lawschools).

Because I am a nice guy, the following sentence is as close as I am willing to go towards bashing UNT, UTA, and UTD for an MBA: If you think that the odds of you getting a great job are the same at UNT, UTA, and UTD as they are at SMU, then you are fooling yourself. Not saying it is impossible, just saying more difficult.

For example, where I work (law firm), we recruit quite a bit and interview with all the top law schools in Texas. If you went to UT, you may get an interview if you are in the top-third, but if you went to South Texas College of Law in Houston, you must be in the top 10 percent just to get an interview. We have never even interviewed anybody at Texas Weslyan in Fort Worth. BTW, SMU Law School is top 25% (with occasional exceptions).

Old 04-16-2002, 11:47 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

actually..of the rankings i'm looking at now, i can't find the slightest thing about UNT or SMU..well, a little on both..but nothing putting either very high in any rankings

yes, unt's MBA program is accredited...

Old 04-16-2002, 12:36 PM   #24
Dooby
Diamond Member

What rankings are you looking at?

Regardless, it isn't US News &amp; World Report (34) or Business Week (top 50) or the Wall Street Journal (9). Murph, don't try and argue with us. We are only offering advice and opinion. Which we are attempting to support with facts.

Old 04-16-2002, 12:42 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

actually, you're right..i was thinking of some specific programs within UNT's business department..

however, as much as i might have been overselling UNT..you were probably underselling the importance of a MS in accounting at UNT compared to SMU.

to be honest,..ROI, SMU might be slightly higher.

for someone such as myself...with the resume i would already present upon graduation from UNT/SMU, it wouldn't make too much difference.. especially considering getting the MS in accounting at UNT or SMU, you still have to get your CPA...once you get the cpa, it really doesn't matter too much whether you're from UNT or SMU.

Sure, a few more avenues might be opened up for you at SMU..but monetarily speaking...having the masters in accounting from UNT would probably make just about as much sense.

going to SMU for my masters in accounting might open some opportunities to make big bucks with a more prestigious company
gonig to UNT for my masters in accounting might mean i only make big bucks from a less prestigious company
Old 04-16-2002, 12:43 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

dooby, i was actually posting while you posted your message..see the post below...
with my experience ..and for my needs, ...smu vs UNT vs UT doesn't really matter too much. i probably let that cloud my opinion a bit much..that and remembering a stat incorrectly.

well, regardless, it's free..so i might look into going to smu. probably not though
Old 04-16-2002, 12:53 PM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

I am very aware of the pricetag. Which is why I did not go there for law school.

Old 04-16-2002, 12:56 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

that's one thing you must consider when deciding which school..ROI..

and what you actually need to move yourself to the next step.

for me?..well, i just need the masters in accounting.. whether it's UNT or SMU, probably doesn't really matter at all