Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of
Default Hollinger chat

Can someone please post it here, I missed it. I love the guy's opinions on things, he is one of the best at ESPN.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Chat with John Hollinger

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, NBA columnist John Hollinger will stop by to talk about the NBA season.
Send your questions now and join John in The Show Tuesday at 11 a.m. ET.
Hollinger archives: Columns | Chats

Buzzmaster: John will be here shortly, he's having a few computer issues.

Buzzmaster: Hey everyone, John's lacking an internet connection at his hotel, but we should be getting him shortly.

John Hollinger: Greetings everyone, sorry for the delay. Hotel Internet went down and just came back up. Good news is that I'm up $22 after a fortuitous pull on the slots yesteday.

Dave (Phoenix, AZ): D'Antoni has a dilemma with Mash: play him big-time now to secure the #2 seed and then rest him in late March when its locked up VERSUS rest him now, but run the risk having to fight for a good seed next month (thus tuckering him out right before the playoffs). What would you do?

John Hollinger: Dave, I actually don't think his dilemma is quite so severe. He's got a couple games on the rest of the pack, and there's not a big difference between No. 2 and No. 3 this year - you're still looking at Suns-Spurs in round 2. Besides, Nash might be back tonight.

roger (chicago, il): Mr Hollinger...Paul Gasol to Bulls for? will it happen?

John Hollinger: i think Chicago has a lot more urgency than Memphis to pull this off. The fact the league is sending the Griz to Spain next fall makes me wonder if they know something we don't.

Greg(Los Angeles): Do you see the Sonics trading Rashard Lewis or is he going to stay with Seattle beyond this year?

John Hollinger: What's funny is that we haven't heard anything about Lewis, but it makes all kinds of sense for Seattle to trade him now. Only thing that would cause them to wait is if they think they can get more in a sign-and-trade over the summer, but that's a risky game to play -- he couuld just sign with another team and leave them with nothing.

Eddie (Hoboken, NJ): John, here is a good one. Would the Knicks be better off with Isiah as Coach/GM since he has gotten a lot out of this team as a coach or would we be better off firing him completely and starting over?

John Hollinger: The latter. He's still the guy pulling the trigger on personnel decisions, and those are the major determinant of future success. Besides, he's only getting much out of the team at one end -- they still don't guard anybody.

Eric (NYC): Hey Stat-Boy! Congrats on the $22 winnings. What moves do you think the Knicks could/should make in order to make a playoff push?!

John Hollinger: Let's hope i don't spend it all in one place. As for the Knicks, Isiah's ability to deal is restricted becaues they're not letting him take on contracts willy-nilly anymore. So the best thing he can do is try to get something for Malik Rose. Good luck with that.

Ron (Toronto): Two more days to go before the deadline and I suspect nothing major will happen because the GMs don't wanna make mistakes, agree?

John Hollinger: i think we'll see at least one major deal, because there are too many big names out there for nothing to happen. But we'll also see a few of the "Jake Tsakalidis for Scott Padgett" variety.

Kyle (Atlanta): Do you think the Hawks will go after Bibby before the deadline to maybe make a playoff push? Or do you see the season mostly over for them?

John Hollinger: Atlanta isn't going to take on a contract like that until the ownership deal is settled. For crying out loud, they put Joe Johnson on a commercial flight to get him to the All-Star Game .... only thing Atlanta has done has been the "we'll give you our garbage for Luke Ridnour" proposal with Seattle, which predictably went nowhere.

Otto (CA): Did you take in a Thunder From Down Under showing last night?

John Hollinger: Best post of the morning so far. Um, no, didn't catch that one.

Jake (Boston): Will the Wizards make a move and get rid of Etan to better the chemistry/defense?

John Hollinger: It's Etan or Brendan, but I think Brendan will be the easier one to move because of his friendlier contract. Unfortunately, Brendan is the one I'd prefer to keep if I were them. And the Wiz need to make sure they get a serviceable big coming back too.

E (LA): What's going on up in Toronto? Am I the only one who thinks Calderon should be starting instead of TJ?

John Hollinger: He's played well enough that it's an interesting discussion, but there's no need for Sam Mitchell to rock the boat at this point.

Craig (PA): How have you avoided Kidd to Lakers questions for so long? Is he the guard LA will get, or is it more likely Pippen?

John Hollinger: Lots of Kidd to LA buzz in the arena on Sunday, but I'm not sure how committed the Nets are to the idea of blowing things up. As for Pippen, I'm not expecting much from him, and LA already has plenty of wings.

Daniyal (Pakistan): Does this trade work? Pau for Tyrus, PJ Brown and/or Sefalosha and the NY first round pick.

John Hollinger: It works for the Bulls ... but Memphis wants Deng and Gordon, and that's a non-starter for Chicago. Be interesting to see if they can find some common ground in the next 48 hours.

Matt,MPLS : The only trade I really want to see happen is Hoiberg trading places with McHale after the season? Do you see McHale being shown the door/ leaving and Hoiberg taking his position? Or am I just dreaming?

John Hollinger: Yes, I can definitely see that ... that's what the T'wolves have been setting up for a while now. Be interesting to see what the Mayor came up with as far as a rebuilding plan.

Widmer (Portland, OR): Howard got the ol screw job from MJ and the rest of the judges on Saturday. What gives? Why not let him dunk on a 12 foot rim?

John Hollinger: He got hosed, but that's OK. Ten yeras from now people will remember the sticker slap, not anything Gerald Green came up with.

J ( Memphis): What are the chances the Grizz trade Atkins and what can they get for him?

John Hollinger: Veteran guard with an expiring contract? Yes, I'd say there's a good chance Atkins is gone by the end of this week. Miami would seem an obvious candidate.

Brock (MN): So do you see McHale making a last-ditch trade this week? Is Mike James gone? Jaric? Hudson?

John Hollinger: I doubt it. The T'wolves are looking to trade small for big, and it's tough to do that when your smalls are also overpaid. Jaric-for-Mohammed has come up, but I'm guessing it would have happened by now if the two sides were serious.

Nick-NY: John, wasn't this all-star weekend the most boring ever??

John Hollinger: i wouldn't say that. Certainly for anyone who went to Vegas the weekend was utterly insane. The game on Sunday was a lifeless drag, but the dunk and 3-point contests were pretty good.

Brandon ( Orlando ): There has been a lot of speculation the Vince Carter was on his way to Orlando, What do you think will end up happening with that whole situation? And do you think V.C. would be a good fit in Orlando

John Hollinger: there's been speculation, yes, but I don't get the impression the Magic are making a real serious run at him. They'd basically have to trade Grant Hill to have a chance.

Dlew, (Cedar, UT): will the jazz pull the trigger and pick up the 2 guard they need? or will they run the course and finish with a first round loss?

John Hollinger: I've been wondering the same thing. Jazz don't have as many trade assets as some other teams, but they've had this glaring hole at SG for a couple years now .... perhaps they're hoping Ronnie Brewer can fill it in the near future.

Chris Illinois: Im always defending the future of jj redick against my friends who say he is a bust, whats your expert opinion on his career turning out to be?

John Hollinger: i think he's going to end up being OK -- he didn't play much because of injuries and was behind his peers, but he's played better of late. Not expecting stardom, mind you, but he won't be a bust either.

Hoopla, S.A.: OK John, show Spurs fans some love... What about the trade they made over the weekend? Who is Ely?

John Hollinger: Ely is an occasionally effective low post scorer who has looked a little rusty and out of shape when I've seen him this year. You probably won't see a lot of him unless the Spurs face Shaq in the Finals.

Jake (Oregon): What's with this first round loss talk about the Jazz? They are an elite team that has proven all year they can beat the other western powers. You don't really think they are just going one and done do you?

John Hollinger: Depends who they play. if they end up no. 4 and face Houston with T-Mac and Yao in the first round, then I think it's curtains. If they can hang to No. 3 and draw a team like the Lakers, their odds improve considerably.

Adam (Cleveland, Ohio): Will the Cavs make a trade for Mike Bibby or any other point gurad? Will they sign Scottie Pippen and is he ready for NBA competition?

John Hollinger: Supposedly the Cavs have shown ain interest in Bibby, and his shooting is a good fit for their roster. I still haven't heard anything about what the bait is, though, so I'm not sure how serious the discussions are. I think they'll at least kick the tires on Pippen but I'm not sure how much he has to offer.

Sujei (Puerto Rico): Please John, I need to now. Is this the summer the suns finally trade Shawn Marion? They have salary problems.

John Hollinger: Well, they'll probably trade somebody, I'm just not sure it will be Marion. Diaw is another good candidate, as is Banks + Barbosa, and they might just decide to keep everybody and pay the tax.

Derek, Chicago: So you think Mopete will be traded before the deadline or does B.C. not wanna make any changes to ruin what the Raps are doing right now? They are playing really well, but i think they still need a big man to rebound and block more.

John Hollinger: I'd like to see the Raps keep Peterson at this point, and with each Toronto win it becomes more likely that he'll stay put.

Kiet (Vietnam): How good will the Rockets be once Yao is back? Contenders??

John Hollinger: I think the Rockets are a serious dark horse if wMcGrady and Yao both are healthy by April.

Chuck (Des Moines, IA): Was Barkley defeating Bavetta the most shocking thing this weekend?

John Hollinger: What was shocking was how easily he won -- jogging backwards the last halfcourt. As I said in the Sunday caht, it goes to show the difference between being a very fit 67 and a professional athlete, even one who has left himself go.

nick (wisconsin): Most likely to make the playoffs, New York Knicks or New Orleans Hornets?

John Hollinger: I'll say Hornets, but if the Knicks win tonight things get kind of interesting in the East. New York's schedule is much more favorable than Orlando's.

Ryan (Los Angeles): Please tell me that the Lakers will make a move before the deadline. They are notorious for standing pat at this time of year but I think it's about time to get a legit PG, cause Smush Parker just isn't cutting it. Your thoughts on them getting Kidd, Bibby, Ridnaur, anyone?

John Hollinger: The Lakers are definitely working all avaible angles, and should be -- Smush is a backup-quality player. But most of these deals are complex, so they might not get their man until the summer.

Reginald (ATL): Yo Professor- Will A.I. and Melo have enough time to turn the Nugs into a legit threat to do anything in the playoff this year?

John Hollinger: Realistcially, I don't think Denver moves past No. 7 and a first-round out this year. It's more next year that they'll be poised to make a big run.

Farrakh (New York): Coach of the year race this year is intense. I am going with Van Gundy. What's your take?

John Hollinger: I would definitely go with Van Gundy. For him to have Houston no. 1 in defensive efficiency, and win so many games without Yao and T-Mac, is worthy of the award.

John Hollinger: Folks, that's all the time I have unfortunately. Thanks again for all the great questions and sorry about the late start. We'll do this again next Tuesday afternoon after all the trading (in)action is done.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

thnx man
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

No Mavs props from Johnny?

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs Rule
No Mavs props from Johnny?
Eh, he only answers the questions laid in front of him.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote