Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-07-2003, 11:50 AM   #41
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default Minorities

13....cut the name calling. You post ...and people reply. You get what you pay for, in effect. If some people find your post a little silly, so be it.

I really doubt that most of us give a damn about color or nationality here....we're Mavs fans and that says it all. As Chi posted, we all derive from the same source.

As I once posted, all Mavs fans, wherever they are, are Texans at heart and in spirit.

On this board, we're all about inclusion.

Maybe you'd do better restarting that "Mavs gear I own" thread you posted a long time back...
Old 06-07-2003, 11:54 AM   #42
Re-Dirkilous

Re-Dirkilous is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Minorities

true dat
Old 06-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #43
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Minorities

Nice post OP. If you're a Mavs fan it doen't matter what color you're on the outside, on the inside you're all Maverick Blue.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:13 PM   #44
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Minorities

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Nice post OP. If you're a Mavs fan it doen't matter what color you're on the outside, on the inside you're all Maverick Blue.
I am a mavs fan but a bradley hater though.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:47 PM   #45
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default Minorities

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
13....cut the name calling. You post ...and people reply. You get what you pay for, in effect. If some people find your post a little silly, so be it.

I really doubt that most of us give a damn about color or nationality here....we're Mavs fans and that says it all. As Chi posted, we all derive from the same source.

As I once posted, all Mavs fans, wherever they are, are Texans at heart and in spirit.

On this board, we're all about inclusion.

Maybe you'd do better restarting that "Mavs gear I own" thread you posted a long time back...
Oh i'm sorry if you got the wrong impression. I didn't mean to call everyone a smartass, I was talking about Murph and somebody else who said they were smartasses. It was just a joke.

The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 06:50 PM   #46
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default Minorities

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Chiwas and I are friends...does that make ME a minority !

Note: Congrats on finishing the school year, 13...you're posting like there's no tomorrow.
Thanks. You know i would've invited some of you to the graduation, but i didn't have enough tickets!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:43 AM   #47
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Minorities

The census now allows you to check as many boxes for ethnicity as you want to.

I think for some organizations they still use the 'one-drop' rule. If you have one drop of african american blood in you, then you are black. I've heard that if you're white and your family is from the south then you have a %60-%80 percent chance of being black according to that rule.

For the purpose of public schools, you are what your dad is.

I just watched a hilarious King of the Hill yesterday where Dale decided he was Native American because he has a son that is Native American.

As for me, I'm mostly fish-belly white, and %25 hispanic. That gives me minority status on some forms, but not on others.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #48
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Minorities

Quote:
I think for some organizations they still use the 'one-drop' rule. If you have one drop of african american blood in you, then you are black. I've heard that if you're white and your family is from the south then you have a %60-%80 percent chance of being black according to that rule.
LOL. This reminds me of the All in the Family Episode where Archie was going to get some blood from a black man and feared he might get a little color to go along with it. Maybe some day we can all just but down human, except for individuals like Stephen Jackson who are obviously descendents of aliens. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 03:59 PM   #49
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of
Default Minorities

Quote:
Originally posted by: Usually Lurkin
The census now allows you to check as many boxes for ethnicity as you want to.

For the purpose of public schools, you are what your dad is.

I just watched a hilarious King of the Hill yesterday where Dale decided he was Native American because he has a son that is Native American.

As for me, I'm mostly fish-belly white, and %25 hispanic. That gives me minority status on some forms, but not on others.
For a long time I felt a little guilty claiming to be white/non-hispanic on all the school forms (thinking - would the family think I was ashamed if they knew i marked that??), but there is no box for white/some hispanic - and I was afraid they'd think I was a liar if I claimed I was anything other than white/non - I'm so light colored.

It's a sensitive issue because when my dad was little his family moved to an area that was racist and his parents made them stop speaking spanish (they basically stopped doing anything that reflected that part of their heritage) in order to spare the kids the discrimination. It's a big regret to them now....

Even though that side of the family is made up of 3 races, some of them are still very racist toward one particular race. It's the weirdest thing in the world that they can be indignant over discriminations they experienced, yet they would do the same kind of thing....
Old 06-09-2003, 04:04 PM   #50
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future
Default Minorities

I am a hot (at least my husbands says so!) English teacher. Does that make me a minority? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 04:07 PM   #51
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hot English teacher? I had a hot Social Sciences teacher once. She actually was a Dallas Mavs Dancer in the late 80's/early nineties. She lost her job due to rumors of her having relations with a student. Dang it, wish that was me. (Did I say that?)
Old 06-09-2003, 05:00 PM   #52
LRB
Guru

Default Minorities

I remember a hot French teacher I had in high school. Can't rember a word of French, but I sure remember enjoying her class every day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 10:15 PM   #53
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Minorities

Quote:
Originally posted by: raefformvp
I am a hot (at least my husbands says so!) English teacher. Does that make me a minority? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
That makes you famous.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:51 AM   #54
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

You know what? Whoever came up with the stock icons for this board most certainly is NOT a minority. Look at the icon for Woman, it is a white woman. Any other race? You have to select that races Woman. African American Woman, Asian Woman. Almost like saying that normally a Woman is a blonde, white woman.

Okay, I need to focus on different things, I realize. So pardon me for interrupting your day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2003, 09:59 AM   #55
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future
Default Minorities

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever

That makes you famous.
Cool! I always wanted to be famous. But, how does being a hot English teacher make me famous??

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:22 AM   #56
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Default Minorities

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by: raefformvpCool! I always wanted to be famous. But, how does being a hot English teacher make me famous??

I think he meant relative to this board. A famous poster. And also as opposed to being a minority as you had asked above.

raefformvp the hot English teacher is a famous poster on D-M.com.

Or somesuch......

Since you are hot, don't take this as hitting on you but here is something for you.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/rose.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #57
raefformvp
Golden Member

Default Minorities

Thank you for the flowers u2sarajevo!

I guess being famous on this board is better than not being famous somewhere else. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #58
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Minorities

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
You know what? Whoever came up with the stock icons for this board most certainly is NOT a minority. Look at the icon for Woman, it is a white woman. Any other race? You have to select that races Woman. African American Woman, Asian Woman. Almost like saying that normally a Woman is a blonde, white woman.

Okay, I need to focus on different things, I realize. So pardon me for interrupting your day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
There are 12-13 different choices for women, including african american, asian, and witch.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 12:54 PM   #59
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
...and witch.
Finally, a majority. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2003, 04:56 PM   #60
hero = dirk

hero = dirk is on a distinguished road
Default Minorities

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
If you're a Mavs fan it doesn't matter what color you're on the outside, on the inside you're all Maverick Blue.
oh i just love that LRB... you put it exactly the right way. sometimes i'm maverick blue on the outside... when i go to games, etc. haha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] well anyways that's a great quote of yours.

Muhahahaha...
hero = dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 06:08 PM   #61
cookies_n_mavs

cookies_n_mavs is on a distinguished road

I am a TEXAN! Yeah, baby!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:26 PM   #62
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default Minorities

Quote:
Originally posted by: cookies_n_mavs
I am a TEXAN! Yeah, baby!
Thats a rare breed.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:51 PM   #63
hero = dirk

hero = dirk is on a distinguished road
Default Minorities

yeah seriously... haven't seen many of those around here... [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

Muhahahaha...
hero = dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 10:03 PM   #64
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default Minorities

i'm a mavericks fan...does that make me a minority around here? [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2003, 10:19 PM   #65
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default Minorities

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
i'm a mavericks fan...does that make me a minority around here? [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

As long as you are not Shawn Bradley's fan.