Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #81
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
*How quickly we forget*...

uh...that was clearly not your only assertion: "I don't agree that Carlisle is expecting any major overhauls--just filling the 8th-15th slots."

suck it, sucker.
Think you misunderstood that--8th to 15th slots doesn't mean "8th to 15th best players." It means the 8 players beyond the 7 who are still on contract.

The 15th guy we could acquire could be some relatively good free agent, and he'd be one of the 5 best players on the team. That's an impact player.

But it's not going to happen by trading Josh, IMO. (or Dirk, Bass, Damp, or Jet).

Suck THAT.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-14-2008 at 06:25 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #82
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Think you misunderstood that--8th to 15th slots doesn't mean "8th to 15th best players." It means the 8 players beyond the 7 who are still on contract.

The 15th guy we could acquire could be some relatively good free agent, and he'd be one of the 5 best players on the team. That's an impact player.

But it's not going to happen by trading Josh, IMO. (or Dirk, Bass, Damp, or Jet).

Suck THAT.
you are so dancing my friend.

so you mean to tell me that when you originally said 8-15 you just meant contract status and nothing having to with depth at all?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #83
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you are so dancing my friend.

so you mean to tell me that when you originally said 8-15 you just meant contract status and nothing having to with depth at all?
Nothing to do with depth at all. Although, it was somewhat inaccurate, because I think Stack is tradeable (and who is our other guy on contract, Barea?). So it should have said the 6th-15th slots, with the 5 untradeables being those that I listed.

But yeah, I wasn't referring to depth at all. "Overhaul" to me has nothing to do with what you add, but what you give up. If you add a nice player via free agency, but don't trade any of your top guys, that's not an overhaul.

You ain't never seen me dance.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-14-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #84
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nothing to do with depth at all. Although, it was somewhat inaccurate, because I think Stack is tradeable (and who is our other guy on contract, Barea?). So it should have said the 6th-15th slots, with the 5 untradeables being those that I listed.

But yeah, I wasn't referring to depth at all. "Overhaul" to me has nothing to do with what you add, but what you give up. If you add a nice player via free agency, but don't trade any of your top guys, that's not an overhaul.

You ain't never seen me dance.
Its funny...because 8-15...is almost....ALMOST always used in reference to depth. But I trust ya, Gene Kelly.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 05-14-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #85
LonghornDub

Quote:
Its funny...because 8-15...is almost....ALMOST always used in reference to depth. But I trust ya, Gene Kelly.
So, do you accept my bet or not?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #86
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
So, do you accept my bet or not?
your bet is so boring...and I am not nearly as confident in that assertion any my original proposal. A big move is coming. An "impact player" is coming this off season...someone who will be one of our top 4-6 players. I imagine Josh might be gone...but I am no where near as confident in that as in the belief that the "impact" guy is coming.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #87
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

hope he can do a great job~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #88
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Damn listening to him gets me so excited for next year. If I was any more excited, I'd need a book in front of me.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #89
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future
Default Dirk on Rick Carlisle

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki made an appearance at Rick Carlisle's press conference. He's been fired up since a 4 1/2-hour meeting with Carlisle in the former MVP's living room.

"He's a great guy, somebody you can talk to," Dirk said afterward. "He's easygoing. I think his knowledge of the game is great. What I liked about it most is he asked me what do I like and what do I want to improve on going forward."

Dirk mentioned post defense, and Carlisle immediately pulled him off the couch to show him a few tricks that Larry Bird used back in the day.

"We just had to get a change here for both sides -- for Avery and the organization," Dirk said. "It was the right time to move on. We need somebody now that gets the best out of this team and finds the way to get the best out of everybody."

UPDATE: I originally wrote that Dirk was the only current Mav to attend the press conference. I've been informed that Jason Kidd slipped into the back of the room for awhile.
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archi...-carlisle.html

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere. Just got home from work.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #90
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future
Default Dirk on JKidd's play; Carlisle on JKidd

Quote:
There are several reasons Avery Johnson no longer has an office at the American Airlines Center. Avery's inability to make the most of Jason Kidd's talents ranks pretty high on the list.

Mark Cuban made the Kidd trade because he thought it made the Mavs legit title contenders. He hasn't given up on that hope despite the Mavs getting booted from the playoffs in five games.

Kidd was a nonfactor during the playoffs -- and pretty much since arriving for his second stint in Dallas. The franchise power brokers believe Rick Carlisle, who vows to give Kidd control on the court and run an open offense after studying Mike D'Antoni's system, will help Kidd return to Hall of Fame form.

"We need to find a way to make Kidd more efficient for us," Dirk said. "By just dropping the ball in the post and being a weakside shooter, I don't think that really suited his game. We did run some when the opportunity was there, but I think in the halfcourt offense beside posting him a little bit, we've got to find other ways for him to put his stamp on the game. I'm sure that's the coach's job."

And it's a part of the job that excites Carlisle. "He's kicked my ass many times," Carlisle said when asked about his relationship with Kidd, looking forward to working with him instead of coaching against him.

In fairness to Avery, he didn't have an offseason and training camp to figure out ways to get the most out of Kidd. (Not that it would have mattered, considering Avery's stubborn nature.)

"This training camp coming up in October is going to be the most important one in the Cuban era," Carlisle said. "We need to make sure we're going to put Jason in the best position to help our team and vice versa. Part of that is listening to what he has to say and his views of the game."

That's something that didn't happen enough under the previous coach.

Kidd said after the Mavs' playoff finale that we needed more time before judging the trade, which has to be considered a bust at this point. Maybe he just needed a new coach. The Mavs sure hope so.
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archi...-carlisle.html
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #91
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703
hope he can do a great job~
o rly
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #92
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have a link to the full video of the press conference? I had one, but I accidentally closed the window and now I can't find it.

EDIT: Nvm. Found it.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-14-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #93
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
o rly

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #94
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Me
Old 05-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #95
LonghornDub

Quote:
your bet is so boring...and I am not nearly as confident in that assertion any my original proposal. A big move is coming. An "impact player" is coming this off season...someone who will be one of our top 4-6 players. I imagine Josh might be gone...but I am no where near as confident in that as in the belief that the "impact" guy is coming.
Hopefully we can trade Stack for Kobe, or some such.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #96
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
How about we offer Devean George for Pau Gasol. It's the same price they got him for. A perfectly fair trade.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #97
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Anyone have a link to the full video of the press conference? I had one, but I accidentally closed the window and now I can't find it.

can you post it here? I'd like to see it.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #98
sike
The Preacha

Wink

Quote:
I don't like giving up Stack...and Kobe seems to have a bad back these days....

Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #99
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
can you post it here? I'd like to see it.
Just go NBA.com and there should be a link on the right side of the screen labeled "Mavs introduce Carlisle."
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #100
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson

Link please?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #101
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my little recap of his press conference:

I think he has been pigeon-holed as rigid or stiff, but maybe that is his on the court personality, but off it he comes off as very smart, and funny. His timing is pretty good and the stories and explanations are expressed VERY well.

You can tell this guy is a leader. He is confident and will do what it takes to motivate the team. I thought it was interesting he mentioned the Avery comment from today. Just a little poke or prod at the team to add some more fire to them for next year.

I think his descriptions of the team looking ahead is also a selling point to potential suitors. You wanna stress that it's going to be uptempo and energetic. Another sense of confidence by talking about that and with the core players involved, that they can win over the FAs who are on the fence.

Josh is probably going to be heavily coddled. He talked about hearing him out and seeing what Josh wants and everything. He went into detail with that for the team as a whole, but it seems like more will have to be done with him. It's a promising sign with what Cuban said about the Josh stuff.

Its a sub-plot but I really hope he keeps his coaching staff (Casey and Stotts), and doesn't lose them to head coaching roles. It sounds like they all respect each other very highly and there will be a good sense of synergy there. Everyone will be on the same page and feed off each other. That definitely hasn't been the case for a while here.

It's promising to hear that he might favor giving young'ns a chance over borderline/aging vets. It's one of his keys, to stay young and have a sense/feeling that people will be there for a while.

It does sound like they will stick with the economical plan when it comes to FAs, but he trusts Donnie and Cuban. To me, with the first interviews he seemed like he didn't need to be a part of those discussions and he had full trust of those two. But now, to me, it seems like Cuban and Donnie want his full input and he'll have a lot of say on who he wants and they'll pull the trigger on it. With all the, "let's put Rick in the best situation to succeed" talk.

I really don't know how the roster is going to look. It does sound like they will give Josh another chance and see if he can play with the chip on his shoulder that has been lost for a year or two. Either way, the back end of the roster will for sure be different. Just a matter of the middle to 2nd tier of the roster will be different.

Oh, just edited this in...he seems VERY player friendly. He will listen to the ideas and he's talking about going out of his way to Germany or North Carolina, the golf course or WHEREVER he needs to go to talk to his players and get a feel for them. I like that.

It's definitely exciting. I'm looking forward to what is ahead for our Mavericks.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-14-2008 at 09:20 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #102
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

carlisle is working pretty hard to hit it off with the players - from traveling to germany to see dirk, playiing golf with kidd, going to NC to see Josh and Stack... it's good to see someone with this team have some enthusiasm.

Quote:
Carlisle added that he hopes to sign several young players, perhaps some from overseas. He'd also like more 3-point shooters, saying those guys help cover up other weaknesses. He also expects to hire former NBA head coaches Dwane Casey and Terry Stotts as assistants.
=) does this mean the end of the jamaal magloire era in dallas?!

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:27 AM   #103
alby
Guru

You mean we won't get to see any of this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XcxS9ih4hAk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0h0F4JmQx1Y
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bjm0aB5tXYE

Contact Me
Old 05-15-2008, 01:46 AM   #104
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

lololol
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #105
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Blind man's bluff.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 AM   #106
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Eh, if we can get Magloire for the vet min, I'm game.

Just no Juwan Howard.....

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #107
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Dirk likes the new coach:
Quote:
But the biggest changes will be creating a new attitude among the Mavericks who already are on board. The first order of business has already been started, said Dirk Nowitzki, who met with Carlisle for about four hours the day Carlisle interviewed. Communication, which went south late in the Avery Johnson tenure, is the key.

"I thought it would be an hour, hour and a half, and I could go and eat lunch," Nowitzki said. "Next thing you know, we're there for a good four, four and a half hours. I was starving by the time we got done.

"He's been really communicative with me. So I'm looking forward to communicating a lot. I think that's what Avery was missing a little, the communication with the players individually. I think that's the way to go – not only find your way as a coach but find out what the players like, where they like to catch the ball, what sets they like.

"[He asked] what I liked. What do I want to improve on going forward? We talked about a lot of stuff there. One of my weaknesses I mentioned to him was my post game. We got up in the living room, and he started teaching me some stuff that Larry [Bird] used to do to get easier looks and get himself going if there were nights when his jumper wasn't going. So he's going to be great for everybody."

Asked if he was glad to have a change in personality, Nowitzki demurred.

"Next question," he said with a smile.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #108
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Carlisle sees plenty of potential in current Dallas Mavericks team

09:46 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rick Carlisle held his introductory press conference Wednesday.

One theme came through loud and clear. He doesn't buy the notion that this is a team in decline. He then offered two pretty good reasons: Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd.

"This team reminds me a lot of the team that we took over about 11 years ago in Indiana when I went with Larry Bird as an assistant coach," Carlisle said. "It was a 39-win team that a lot of people had written off and thought it had run it's course, needed to be blown up, turned over and everything else. Larry came in there with a different approach, very positive, gave the guys a lot of confidence, we became re-committed defensively and had what at that time was the best year in the history of the franchise in wins.

"Whether that's possible here next year or not I don't know. I do know that you never underestimate the pride of veteran players, particularly Hall of Fame caliber guys like Dirk and Jason that really are committed to winning.

Carlisle said the ability of great players to lift the performances of those around them shouldn't be underestimated. He views Nowitzki and Kidd in those terms.

"We've got some challenges ahead," Carlisle said. "I know that. But I'd rather be in this position than to be with a lottery team that no one knows about, trying to win a few more games. That doesn't appeal to me.

"I just feel like we're going to find a way to do better than people think we're going to do."

David Moore

Link

Carlisle tells Dallas Mavericks training will be tough

12:01 AM CDT on Thursday, May 15, 2008

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks want a looser hand on the sideline, a coach who will let them run and do what they do best.

That's fine, Rick Carlisle said Wednesday.

But they better be ready to pay the price.

At his introductory news conference, the Mavericks' new coach said his team is in for a meat-grinding training camp full of sprints and sweat when they convene in October. While making it clear that some of the players who finished the season won't be here then, the ones who are will get a punishing month of workouts.

"They're going to find out that playing faster and with momentum isn't just a matter of going out there and having a little more fun," Carlisle said. "It is a lot of work. This will probably be one of the tougher training camps these guys have ever had.

"The physical commitment to being an uptempo team is something that very few guys have experienced. We made a commitment to run my last year in Indiana, and the players were shocked how difficult training camp was.

"The thing that Jason Kidd does better than any point guard probably in history is push that thing ahead. If you're going to play at a faster tempo, there's unbelievable physical commitment to doing that."

The point can be argued whether a team with the 35-year-old Kidd and several other key players over 30 can handle a training camp that forces players to run, run, run.

But if Kidd's talents are to be emphasized, it's essential. Dirk Nowitzki knows Kidd was not at his best in Avery Johnson's isolation offense.

"We just had to get a change here," said Nowitzki, who sat in on Carlisle's news conference at American Airlines Center. "We need somebody now who can get the best out of this team, the best out of everybody.

"We need to find a way to make Kidd more efficient for us. By just dropping the ball in the post and being a weakside shooter, I don't think that suited his game. In the half-court offense, besides posting him a little bit, we've got to find other ways to have him put a stamp on the game. That's the coach's job."

Carlisle took questions on a variety of topics, including:

•His passion for defense: "Having said all that about the offensive end, we've got to be vigilant about preserving what Avery did here in establishing the defensive end. This team didn't get to the championship round until they really made a commitment defensively. "One of the real challenges of coaching is to be able to have a flow mentality offensively and maintain a possession-type disposition defensively. It takes a special group of players to do it. But that's our mission."

•The ceiling for this team if Nowitzki, Kidd and [Josh] Howard remain its core: "I'm not sure if Avery said this or not. But [a radio host] said, 'Yeah, Avery came out and said this team is not a playoff team next year, in his opinion.' "I don't know if he said that or not. But I'm just sure that this is a veteran team with a lot of pride, and that will provide a lot of motivation for these guys over the summer to get in great shape and come into training camp in the best possible condition to really go at this hard. Because this is going to be work. No question. It's a lot of work, a lot of sweat."

•On why the Mavericks' window isn't closed: "In Dirk and Jason Kidd, we have two great, great players. I just feel like we're going to find a way to do better than people think we're going to do. I don't underestimate the ability of great players to lift the guys that play around them a little bit beyond their means. The other thing is these two guys [Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson] have a history of being able to do some really terrific things. We're going to find a way. I can't tell you exactly what it's going to be right now."

•On the perception that he lacks people skills: "I don't believe you can stand at a podium and beat a drum and say: 'You guys are all wrong.' You go to a new situation and you got to assume that people are going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and they're going to make their judgments based on their experience with you. I don't have any preconceived judgments about you guys."

•On whether the Mavericks' coaching job is a daunting task: "I don't know of any easy jobs in this league. Every owner has made a monetary commitment, and everybody wants to win. I don't think this is any more daunting than any others. It's a high-profile situation, for sure. And we got some challenges ahead of us. But I'd rather be in this position than be with a lottery team that nobody cares about trying to win a few more games. That doesn't appeal to me."

Link

New Dallas Mavericks coach – so far – on the mark

12:01 AM CDT on Thursday, May 15, 2008

Here's what we learned about the Mavs' new coach once the lawyers finally got done:

•Rick Carlisle didn't burn any bridges with ESPN at his introductory news conference, calling the worldwide leader "the greatest sports organization I've been a part of until today." And this from a guy who played for the Celtics.

•He's not as dull as you heard. He laughed, he told stories, he perspired profusely. Probably saving the poker face for the bench.

•He made it clear that the Mavs have two great players, and one of them isn't Josh Howard.

The public restructuring of the team's organizational ladder gives you a clue that there actually is a difference between the Mavs' new coach and the former. Now if only Carlisle holds to it under duress.

Avery Johnson couldn't, no matter how hard he tried. He simply couldn't let go of the offense.

Not for Paul Westphal, not for Jason Terry, not for Devin Harris, not even for one of the greatest point guards ever.

Of course, as we were surprised to learn at Johnson's exit interview, his opinion of Jason Kidd changed greatly the last couple of months.

Johnson may yet prove to be right about the wisdom of putting the offense in Kidd's hands. A full training camp – Carlisle promises a veritable track meet – should give us a better idea.

But Johnson didn't help Kidd's cause any, either, transforming a free-flow genius into what Dirk Nowitzki called "a weakside spot-up shooter."

"We've got to find other ways," Nowitzki said Wednesday, "to let him put his stamp on it."

Nowitzki no doubt delivered the message in his first meet-and-greet with Carlisle. The talk lasted more than four hours, ruining the 7-footer's lunch.

Carlisle plans other player consultations this summer. In fact, he was scheduled to have dinner with Howard last night. Carlisle wants Howard to return to his previous All-Star form. Even better, he wants Howard to do what he does best, which, as we learned, does not include living up to the responsibilities of the team's second-best player.

Carlisle will learn much about his new charges this summer. The prospect of player input excites Nowitzki, who didn't think he or anyone else had Johnson's ear.

"It's still a player's league," Nowitzki said, "not a league for coaches."

As for the Mavs' new coach? He says don't judge him on offenses he ran in Detroit and Indiana. Sure, they were half-court walk-ups. But personnel dictated it.

"You've got to play to your strengths," Carlisle said, "and you've got to adjust."

Pat Riley understood the concept. He went from Showtime glitz in LA to street brawl in New York, and he won both ways. Most coaches basically stick with what they know.

Can Carlisle adjust and stay with it? Hard to say. But he notes that Indiana played several styles in what he referred to as "the brawl year."
Can he turn the offense over to his point guard? "If I've got a point guard who can run a team," he said.

He thinks Kidd is still capable at 35. If the Mavs are to have any shot at the playoffs next season, he'd better be.

Carlisle had better be committed to the cause, too. The fact that he wants to bring in assistants, Dwane Casey and Terry Stotts, with backgrounds different from his indicates some willingness.

Otherwise, you need to hold him to this statement: "We've got to make sure we're putting Jason Kidd in the best position."

And if Carlisle can't and it doesn't work out? No worries. They're probably leaving a light on in Bristol.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote