Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-10-2024, 12:01 PM   #121
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Not sure I saw that tbh curious why would you prefer a starting center instead of a starting PF? To me, the move is the latter with a backup C and/or defensive wing to boot. Not sure a wing will be available, so to the bigs it is. Hope Green and Williams figure it out and continue to rock DJJ across the board.
Its a joke really. But the pushback I got was it was crazy to suggest we didnt HAVE to have Capela when we needed a versatile PF more. I didn't want Capela because it would push Lively to bench and stifle somw of his growth.

Much like everyone else here, Ive had a few bad ideas over the years, but if I were GM, for a few weeks, we would have Bane and Drummond now and be contenders. Instead we have DP, Maxi and Green...and Grant.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2024, 01:39 PM   #122
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, there were two periods of time, and some are getting folded together.

OFFSEASON (pre-draft) we were without a single decent center (even Powell was an FA). We all wanted Capela and insulted the FA for not getting him. Then it turned out that it would have cost us Lively, Green, OMax, and Holmes. That is a crazy package.

After the draft/This season, the discussion whipped back up. I still think Capela is the perfect backup to Lively, but it comes down to cost.

I guess my only question is if we can only get one guy, are we better with a:

A) a full-time Kuzma/Siakam/Grant starting at PF and praying Lively stays healthy/can be good that game
or
B) starting GWill/DJJ at PF and consistently having a good center on the floor with Lively/Capela (or other backup)

In a perfect world, we'd address both, but I am leaning toward A if we only get one (and I think based on our assets that is where we are). We just gotta pray for Lively to stay healthy either way. We could be dominant if he's good and we have more length/size in the frontcourt.

If he's injured, we're probably screwed either way, but maybe we could get a few min from Kleber/Powell/Holmes/Morris, or we can go small like the Jazz game.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-10-2024 at 01:42 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:09 PM   #123
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really care if it's a 4 or 5 as long as the player rebounds. I feel very strongly that if we fix that one thing that the sky is the limit.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:13 PM   #124
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I mean, there were two periods of time, and some are getting folded together.

OFFSEASON (pre-draft) we were without a single decent center (even Powell was an FA). We all wanted Capela and insulted the FA for not getting him. Then it turned out that it would have cost us Lively, Green, OMax, and Holmes. That is a crazy package.

After the draft/This season, the discussion whipped back up. I still think Capela is the perfect backup to Lively, but it comes down to cost.

I guess my only question is if we can only get one guy, are we better with a:

A) a full-time Kuzma/Siakam/Grant starting at PF and praying Lively stays healthy/can be good that game
or
B) starting GWill/DJJ at PF and consistently having a good center on the floor with Lively/Capela (or other backup)

In a perfect world, we'd address both, but I am leaning toward A if we only get one (and I think based on our assets that is where we are). We just gotta pray for Lively to stay healthy either way. We could be dominant if he's good and we have more length/size in the frontcourt.

If he's injured, we're probably screwed either way, but maybe we could get a few min from Kleber/Powell/Holmes/Morris, or we can go small like the Jazz game.
I know we're scraping the barrel here for centers available right now, but Lively needs rest during these games even when he comes back.

If they get Siakam, sign a Taj Gibson to backup Lively. A small trade for Plumlee would be nice, but who knows how much it would take to get Siakam.

Or if Siakam can small ball 5 in Lively's place that works too.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:39 PM   #125
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I don't really care if it's a 4 or 5 as long as the player rebounds. I feel very strongly that if we fix that one thing that the sky is the limit.
This. Rebounds are damn near a turnover in the sense. On defense, it limits the second+ chances for the opposing offense and ideally lead to more fast breaks and transition. On offense, duh...extra opportunities and to a much smaller degree, limiting the other team from initiating easy offense out of uncontested rebounds (not always, but it would have an effect)

Rebound = possession
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:40 PM   #126
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I know we're scraping the barrel here for centers available right now, but Lively needs rest during these games even when he comes back.

If they get Siakam, sign a Taj Gibson to backup Lively. A small trade for Plumlee would be nice, but who knows how much it would take to get Siakam.

Or if Siakam can small ball 5 in Lively's place that works too.
Even if he can play small ball, need a backup center.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:56 PM   #127
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
This. Rebounds are damn near a turnover in the sense. On defense, it limits the second+ chances for the opposing offense and ideally lead to more fast breaks and transition. On offense, duh...extra opportunities and to a much smaller degree, limiting the other team from initiating easy offense out of uncontested rebounds (not always, but it would have an effect)

Rebound = possession
It really is basically a turnover.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:39 PM   #128
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Biyombo was waived. Mavs should be all over that.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:47 PM   #129
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Holmes posting all over that he is disrespected here.

A) he?s right. Kidd does this to everyone like Wood
Or
B) Kidd is right? he?s small for a center and doesn?t have the skill to be a forward
C) it doesn?t matter. Dude gave up money to come here in a hugely generous move and Mavs treated him like garbage which will be a bat signal to the rest of the league that we?re an embarrassment

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-10-2024 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:19 PM   #130
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Luka out vs the Knicks.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:47 PM   #131
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Holmes posting all over that he is disrespected here.

A) he?s right. Kidd does this to everyone like Wood
Or
B) Kidd is right? he?s small for a center and doesn?t have the skill to be a forward
C) it doesn?t matter. Dude gave up money to come here in a hugely generous move and Mavs treated him like garbage which will be a bat signal to the rest of the league that we?re an embarrassment
Never know what goes on behind closed doors but we know Jkidd roster mgmt/ rotations are fvcked. From outside looking in, Kidd has a habit of fvcking over any chance of getting the most out of certain players.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:14 PM   #132
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Luka out vs the Knicks.
half full: Lively back. Kleber closer to return.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:36 PM   #133
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Half full is that Josh Green will score 15 points.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:58 PM   #134
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
half full: Lively back. Kleber closer to return.
Lively is doubtful
Old 01-10-2024, 08:51 PM   #135
SMC0007
Guru

Kleber being back means fvck all

Old 01-10-2024, 10:41 PM   #136
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What about Biyombo?

Cheap contract. Expiring. Grizz are NOT going anywhere this season and he may leave this summer.

Probably can?t play PF because of spacing but can be a backup C who can defend and rebound.
Adrian Wojnarowski: The Grizzlies are waiving center Bismack Biyombo, sources tell ESPN. He made a good impact with franchise and could be brought back again. Memphis is expected to add another big on a newly available two-way contract. ? via Twitter wojespn
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 11:32 AM   #137
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Biyombo was waived. Mavs should be all over that.
They have Holmes and he doesn't even play.

I doubt Biyombo plays ahead of Powell because Kidd won't trust him either.

I think it's time we all accept the facts that Powell is our backup/starting center.

The mavs every year will tell us they are looking to upgrade but that doesn't mean Powell won't stay in the rotations.

They will give other bigs a short leash in order to keep Powell involved
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:06 PM   #138
SMC0007
Guru

We couldn't get in on Bagely?

Last edited by SMC0007; 01-15-2024 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:18 PM   #139
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
We could get in on Bagely?
?

Old 01-15-2024, 02:28 PM   #140
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
?
Typo

Old 01-15-2024, 02:54 PM   #141
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Mavs shooting 18% and 0%

Pels shooting 22% and 0%

Compelling!
Old 01-15-2024, 02:54 PM   #142
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Lively is such a gamechanger

4pts, 4reb in his time out there. Mavs are leading the rebound race.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:26 PM   #143
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

23 days left

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-16-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:48 PM   #144
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Siakam will not commit to returning to any team. Wants to test UFA.Per multiple sources.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-16-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:24 PM   #145
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Siakam will not commit to returning to any team. Wants to test UFA.Per multiple sources.
He can only get supermax with Toronto(if he gets all nba). Imo thats what this is about, hoping he doesnt get traded, and resigning with Toronto

Then do a Bradley Beal and get traded the following year.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:31 PM   #146
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

This is Indiana's offer. Nobody is going to offer a lot for a rental. He won't get traded.

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/s...83030166020574

Once you hear the offers, then those teams are likely out.

Just bid in the offseason.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-16-2024 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:55 PM   #147
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
This is Indiana's offer. Nobody is going to offer a lot for a rental. He won't get traded.

Its better to get him in the building before FA, gives you a better chance of resigning.

Lets be honest Mavs arent winning a free agent in july.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:12 PM   #148
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Its better to get him in the building before FA, gives you a better chance of resigning.

Lets be honest Mavs arent winning a free agent in july.
But no team is willing to do it, so why would the Mavs? There has to be something more to this.

I'm all for getting him and risking it for a reasonable package, but Musai won't take any of these offers.

Old 01-16-2024, 06:28 PM   #149
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
But no team is willing to do it, so why would the Mavs? There has to be something more to this.

I'm all for getting him and risking it for a reasonable package, but Musai won't take any of these offers.
Because they naturally have a better chance to resign him if he's been playing with Luka and Kyrie for 30 games + playoffs.

I wouldnt even bother with him in the summer if hes not already finishing the season with dallas. plenty of teams will be courting him.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:09 PM   #150
Melonhead
Guru

Pacers giving up 3 first round picks for Siakam.

?In active talks? according to shams
Old 01-16-2024, 10:25 PM   #151
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Pacers giving up 3 first round picks for Siakam.

?In active talks? according to shams
Yea mavs cant compete with that.

Really
Hope we make a play for Capela. Thats the guys I want.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:28 PM   #152
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Yea mavs cant compete with that.

Really
Hope we make a play for Capela. Thats the guys I want.
Capela off the bench...im sure hes dying to do that

Old 01-16-2024, 10:50 PM   #153
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This escalated quickly. Now Indiana is offering Brown and 3 1sts? For a guy who won?t commit to an extension? There has to be a handshake deal that he will sign an extension.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:45 AM   #154
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
This escalated quickly. Now Indiana is offering Brown and 3 1sts? For a guy who won?t commit to an extension? There has to be a handshake deal that he will sign an extension.
And yet...no deal. Be hilarious if Toronto turned it down for wanting more.

Remember, if you're hearing about the trade details before the trade happens, then it's like dying or going to be dead.

Trade deadline is still a bit away. Fish for more Toronto!

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-17-2024 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:27 PM   #155
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Capela off the bench...im sure hes dying to do that
He's said as much (well not dying to, but willing).

He's the perfect fit honestly as long as the price has dropped from the Green, Lively, OMax, Holmes that he would have cost this summer.

+3rd in the league in offensive rebounds
+4th overall in rebound percentage
+Got his fat mid-career paycheck and would love to get paid big bucks to be a backup that starts for a few games when Lively is injured
+Has been mentoring Okongwu and can mentor Lively
Old 01-17-2024, 12:50 PM   #156
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Rebounding% leaders who may be available (and averaging 15mpg or more) compared to our current roster

1st - Drummond
4th - Capela
10th - Love
14th - Ayton
20th - Claxton
21st - Simmons
23rd - Poeltl (at 28 is he in the Raptor's timeline?)
34th - Lively
52nd - Carter Jr.
55th - Bagley III
65th - Powell
71st - Stewart
73rd - Kleber

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-17-2024 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:55 PM   #157
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Drummonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddd. There is no player in the league who fits this team better. Follow closely by Capela, but I think he gets moved with Murray.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:49 PM   #158
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Drummonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddd. There is no player in the league who fits this team better. Follow closely by Capela, but I think he gets moved with Murray.
Assuming eFG% stayed the same for both teams, I read that we'd have five more wins if we were even 15th in rebounding vs. 29th.

That is the difference between 1st and 5th (where we are).

Of course, league-wide second/third chance opportunities tend to be MUCH more efficient so if our rebounding was better and we denied the other team those easy put-backs, we'd have a higher eFG and a better DEFRTG too.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:01 PM   #159
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Assuming eFG% stayed the same for both teams, I read that we'd have five more wins if we were even 15th in rebounding vs. 29th.

That is the difference between 1st and 5th (where we are).

Of course, league-wide second/third chance opportunities tend to be MUCH more efficient so if our rebounding was better and we denied the other team those easy put-backs, we'd have a higher eFG and a better DEFRTG too.
And yet, all I see are rumors of getting a 4 that is a meh rebounder. We have one single glaring need. We've kinda fixed our defense, but the rebounding is still a huge issue.

I sometimes feel like Kidd would rather jump into Mount Doom than get a center.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:13 PM   #160
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
The Dallas Mavericks have been linked to Pascal Siakam, Andrew Wiggins, P.J. Washington, and Dorian Finney-Smith, per
@JakeLFischer
SIZE AND REBOUND RATE WITH MAVS PF OPTIONS INCLUDED
Kleber - 6'10" - 11.2% rebounding%
Washington - 6'7" - 9.1% rebounding%
Siakam - 6'8" - 9.0% rebounding%
DFS - 6'7" - 7.9% rebounding %
Wiggins - 6'7" - 7.6% rebounding
Jones Jr - 6'6" - 7.0% rebounding
Williams - 6'6" - 6.6% rebounding

I mean, all of those players rebound better than DJJ/GWill and are better than all our forwards not named Kleber (who may be limited).

Washington - a little undersized for PF. Defensively underwhelming. Lot a lot of length. 31% shooter from three

DFS - Good defense, good rebounding. Strong 3pt shooting (40%). Great chemistry.

Siakam - Great defense. good size. Slight rebounding improvement on GWill and DJJ. Phenomenal passer if Kidd could actually use him as part of our plays. subpar shooter at 32%. Wants 47million dollars this offseason.

Wiggins - Really underwhelming rebounder. Under 30% 3pt shooting on open shots in GSW. Defense is attrocious. I have no idea why we'd even want him.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-17-2024 at 02:28 PM.