Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzki4President View Post
Let me see if I understand this.

If we trade him and he doesn't fulfill his numbers can it go like this:

Trade him to team A at deadline for player X.

Team A then drops Damp at the end of the year to save the $.

We sign Damp to 1 Year deal?

Or can he be dropped right at the deadline, or what?

I'm not too contract savvy, so I need an explanation, tbh.
This season is fully guaranteed. Next year there's an option, 2100 minutes this year, the option becomes fully guaranteed. If he does not achieve those figures, it becomes a team option. The option's deadline is some time next summer, soon after the player movement moratorium is lifted, some time around July 1-15. The Mavs always have the option of trading him between now and the trade deadline.

Now if the Mavs do trade Damp and he is immediately cut, the team cutting him would be on the docket to pay the guaranteed portion of his contract. After being cut, Damp can rejoin the Mavs after a 30 day period. The team cutting him will not save any money, unless Damp agrees to a buyout. This always depends on the player, buyouts can range from 50-90% of the remaining salary.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
The option's deadline is some time next summer, soon after the player movement moratorium is lifted, some time around July 1-15.
Where are you getting the info on this deadline? Keep in mind this is not really an option. It's a non-guaranteed contract. And I believe David Lord has said that it does not have a date at which is becomes guaranteed. So it would remain non-guaranteed until the day that all contracts in the NBA become guaranteed, which is sometime in January I believe.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 11-11-2009 at 04:19 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Where are you getting the info on this deadline? Keep in mind this is not really an option. It's a non-guaranteed contract. And I believe David Lord has said that it does not have a date at which is becomes guaranteed. So it would remain non-guaranteed until the day that all contracts in the NBA become guaranteed, which is sometime in January I believe.
Well that would be good for the Mavs if there is no deadline, I know Buckner and Stackhouse's had a deadline etched into their contract, same with Gooden. Kind of surprising that Damps does not have some type of deadline in there, sort of does the player a favor by giving him enough time on the open market to find another job.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Well that would be good for the Mavs if there is no deadline, I know Buckner and Stackhouse's had a deadline etched into their contract, same with Gooden. Kind of surprising that Damps does not have some type of deadline in there, sort of does the player a favor by giving him enough time on the open market to find another job.
Stack and Buckner's deals didn't have conditions that could force their last year to be fully guaranteed, either. Even if he does have a day that forces the decision (although I trust DLord on this) I would expect it to be much later than early July.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Nowitzki4President

Nowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to beholdNowitzki4President is a splendid one to behold

So if things go as planned to favor the Mavs, it would go like this:

Damp continues to play well. We hold him past the deadline and for the Championship. This offseason we trade him to the Hawks, Raptors, Clips, whoever. Since he didn't put up the minutes, he gets cut as soon as he's traded. We wait 30 days and resign him to a 1 year contract. Correct?

Also, why would a team that's gonna lose a player that'll be a 2010 FA trade with us that offseason if their player is gonna leave anyway. Wouldn't trading with us not benefit them anymore than the guy just leaving?

Quote:
Nowitzki4President is the greatest man to ever live!
Nowitzki4President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
So if things go as planned to favor the Mavs, it would go like this:

Damp continues to play well. We hold him past the deadline and for the Championship. This offseason we trade him to the Hawks, Raptors, Clips, whoever. Since he didn't put up the minutes, he gets cut as soon as he's traded. We wait 30 days and resign him to a 1 year contract. Correct?

Also, why would a team that's gonna lose a player that'll be a 2010 FA trade with us that offseason if their player is gonna leave anyway. Wouldn't trading with us not benefit them anymore than the guy just leaving?
GM's, agents, it's all about relationships, developing good ones. It came up in the Marion deal. When Hedo was waffling, Colangelo and Marion's agent sort of had a verbal agreement in place. Then Hedo says I'm coming, that would take up all of Toronto's cap space. This is when Cuban jumped in and said he has the Stack Chip and would love to give Marion that deal, actually he tacked on an extra unguaranteed year to make it look tasty at "5 years 40." Then somehow he worked Hedo into the sign and trade also. But by doing this deal, Colangelo kept good ties with Marion and Marion's agent, just in case he needs a favor down the line. Who knows the other side may want cash, a pick or 2 or a young prospect in return. In addition, Damp does not necessarily have to be dealt for a 2010 FA, it could be a disgruntled star with an existing contract.

Tags
got a bit fluffy in here, gtfo beasley blowers, the fluff chip