Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #41
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

You think Jazz will give up Deron Williams? This is why I visit the Trade section of this site sparingly because half of the time people don't consider the other team involved in the deal. Deron Williams is going no where.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #42
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Instant classic!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #43
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

This is another example of why we need a new section that is completely locked, for reading only, where threads like this can be moved. The HOF, if you will.

I think that was Flac's idea, was it not?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #44
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
This is another example of why we need a new section that is completely locked, for reading only, where threads like this can be moved. The HOF, if you will.

I think that was Flac's idea, was it not?
It's been kicked around for years. I started moving the old beeeeef threads and such to the lounge a year ago so I could bump them and laugh. But a classic thread section would be ideal.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #45
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
Nope, just go for it all in free agency to win the title at all cost. We have Stack and Croshere coming off books, and I think Finley as well.
Silk....

Try thinking of the Mavs existing salary cap room as a 5 pound bag. Then think of Billups salary as 10 pounds of crap.

You can't fit ten pounds of crap into a 5 pound bag.

Cheers
Old 05-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #46
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
You think Jazz will give up Deron Williams? This is why I visit the Trade section of this site sparingly because half of the time people don't consider the other team involved in the deal. Deron Williams is going no where.
This implies that half the time people DO consider the other team involved in the deal.

I'd say the Trade section here is more like 90%/10% in favor of people who think Donnie Nelson has the ability to hit the trade override button a la NBA 2K7 and force any team to trade us their best talent for our scraps. Maybe 1 out of 10 proposed trades over there make any sense at all.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #47
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'd say the Trade section here is more like 90%/10% in favor of people who think Donnie Nelson has the ability to hit the trade override button a la NBA 2K7 and force any team to trade us their best talent for our scraps. Maybe 1 out of 10 proposed trades over there make any sense at all.

You're right lol. I was definately being generous with that 50% comment.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #48
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsadallas
Billups would be a good guard, but I rather go with Deron Williams.. He is from TX and he is young.

And as for Magette or whatever his last name is spelled like, he is a good player but major attitude problems. I rather get Matt Barnes than him.
Yeah, and I wanna f*ck Angelina Jolie. The only difference is that I might have a shot.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #49
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Exactly. The path to the Finals is a lot easier playing in the East. May be people think because the Pistons didn't break the bank for Big Ben that they'll do the same for Billups? And its not like Silk Smoove is the only guy. There are a lot of people in Dallas who keep bringing up Billups including radio personality's and i'm just not seeing any logical way of him getting here.
Yes,you got it..It is alot of buzz here about him coming here. There is alot of speculation here that Cuban has something up his sleeve, and Billups is the main name coming out.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #50
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

If Billups comes here we are losing core pieces.

But if it were to happen? I'd wear that tutu happily.

edit: As long as one of the outgoing wasn't from Germany.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-16-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #51
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Well that says we have 81 million dollars on the books next year.

The cap is what...50 ish?

For the next year, we have 52 million, a figure that will undoubtedly be increased by filling in the roster in the upcoming season.

The Mavs are set up to be over the cap for the next FOUR SEASONS.

And if you're saying Billups won't cost more than the MLE, you're completely high.

Hmmm..I do believe I've had a VERY similar conversation with a former poster....

I guess I should be somewhat impressed you kept yourself hidden for this long.

MIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand the cap, but what I am saying is that I feel that Cuban is going to break the bank this year at all costs.

Salary info: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

I know the cap information above , but the word here is that Cuban is going to break the bank, and Billups is the main name being tossed around. It seems that you are indeed just high, because at no time have you heard that I said he will sign for the MLE. I said Cuban will break the bank. I signed up here for the first time in November, and b4 that, I just scanned this forum and never posted.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #52
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
If Billups comes here we are losing core pieces.

But if it were to happen? I'd wear that tutu happily.

edit: As long as one of the outgoing wasn't from Germany.
The reason I think that we may NOT lose core pieces is because Billups can opt-out his last year, and sign with whom he wants. There is alot of buzz here in Dallas on this issue. That is the main reason I brought it to surface here, but I see that a couple of childish people want to try to throw me under the bus, when indeed this is very much talked about here..
Old 05-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #53
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I understand the cap, but what I am saying is that I feel that Cuban is going to break the bank this year at all costs.

I know the cap information above , but the word here is that Cuban is going to break the bank, and Billups is the main name being tossed around. It seems that you are indeed just high, because at no time have you heard that I said he will sign for the MLE. I said Cuban will break the bank. I signed up here for the first time in November, and b4 that, I just scanned this forum and never posted.
You understand? Really?

Then please explain how Cuban is going to "break the bank" if the CBA does not allow him to spend more than the MLE in free agency without working out a sign and trade with the other team?

I call complete bullcrap on you NOT being CreditXpert2003.

You both are season ticket holders.
You both claim to have intimate knowledge of the team.
You both claim to have an affiliation with sports in general.
You both have made explicit posts about the Mavs being under the cap next year.
You both latch on to catch phrases when you find yourselves cornered in an argument (we've gone from "MIP" to "Basketball 501," and now "break the bank")
Neither one of you were signed up at the same time.
You both have a VERY similar tone and writing style.
You both exhibit a complete lack of knowledge concerning the CBA.
You both have a weird way of using the word "trigger".

IP's are easily changed.

Conversational patterns - not so much.

Welcome back.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-16-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #54
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The reason I think that we may NOT lose core pieces is because Billups can opt-out his last year, and sign with whom he wants. There is alot of buzz here in Dallas on this issue. That is the main reason I brought it to surface here, but I see that a couple of childish people want to try to throw me under the bus, when indeed this is very much talked about here..
How do you propose we get Billups?

If he opts out, he is a FA. If he is a FA, then we are over the salary cap and can only sign him to the MLE because we are over the cap, or do a SNT with Detroit for him.

If we do an SNT with Detroit, then we lose player(s).

Money isn't the issue.

How else do you propose he gets a contract to come here and play?

<edit>
Mary, my apologies, but I am too slow at typing.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 05-16-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #55
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
You're speaking on the outside looking in. If the Pistons failt his year lol? The Mavs got knocked out of the 1st round. You expect for him to not only take a pay cut in the mid-level exception but go to the West to play for a team that got knocked out of the 1st round? If he wants to win a ring his best bet is to stay in the East and play for the Pistons. You're not making any sense man.
Dont confuse MLE exception with what I am saying. The only person that keeps bringing up MLE is Mary. Read through my posts, and you will see that I think Cuban is going to break the bank and go for Billups. As you know, that is the word on the street here in the Dallas area. I also stated that after next season, we lose alot of salary, so this does NOT place us under the salary cap, but that does place us under the luxury tax.

Seems that Mary does NOT understand how it all works, as she so claims. The 2006-07luxury tax threshold is $65.42 million, up $3.7 million from the $61.7 million threshold last season. Seems that maybe Mary is NOT as smart as you put on. So starting the 2008-09 season we COULD be under the salary and luxury tax threshold, so why not sign Billups?

I think the Pistons is going to either break-up some more, or have to take in another coach. If the Pistons collapse against the Bulls, I really think there is going to be alot of issues in Piston-land.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #56
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dont confuse MLE exception with what I am saying. The only person that keeps bringing up MLE is Mary. Read through my posts, and you will see that I think Cuban is going to break the bank and go for Billups. As you know, that is the word on the street here in the Dallas area. I also stated that after next season, we lose alot of salary, so this does NOT place us under the salary cap, but that does place us under the luxury tax.

Seems that Mary does NOT understand how it all works, as she so claims. The 2006-07luxury tax threshold is $65.42 million, up $3.7 million from the $61.7 million threshold last season. Seems that maybe Mary is NOT as smart as you put on. So starting the 2008-09 season we COULD be under the salary and luxury tax threshold, so why not sign Billups?

I think the Pistons is going to either break-up some more, or have to take in another coach. If the Pistons collapse against the Bulls, I really think there is going to be alot of issues in Piston-land.
I understand enough to know the the LUXURY TAX threshold and the SPENDING threshold are...

wait for it....

wait.....

here it comes...

NOT THE SAME EFFING THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will STILL require a sign and trade!!!!

Furthermore, the Mavs are NOT in a position to be UNDER the salary cap in the next two years. Cuban will have to start trading alot of players for expiring contracts in order to make that happen.

Is anybody in there?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-16-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #57
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
You understand? Really?

Then please explain how Cuban is going to "break the bank" if the CBA does not allow him to spend more than the MLE in free agency without working out a sign and trade with the other team?

I call complete bullcrap on you NOT being CreditXpert2003.

You both are season ticket holders.
You both claim to have intimate knowledge of the team.
You both claim to have an affiliation with sports in general.
You both have made explicit posts about the Mavs being under the cap next year.
You both latch on to catch phrases when you find yourselves cornered in an argument (we've gone from "MIP" to "Basketball 501," and now "break the bank")
Neither one of you were signed up at the same time.
You both have a VERY similar tone and writing style.
You both exhibit a complete lack of knowledge concerning the CBA.
You both have a weird way of using the word "trigger".

IP's are easily changed.

Conversational patterns - not so much.

Welcome back.
I can give a rats as* about a creditxpert. I am who I am, just like you are who you are. Dont put in the boat with any other poster but Silk Smoov. Get off your high horse and deal with what I said. Are you indeed an expert in the salary and luxury tax issue? If not, then how can you say that we CANT sign Billups?????

Answer that question above.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #58
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Seriously dude, straight up....take this to heart--

Mary understands how it works, you don't.

See this FAQ, especially #19 which examines the exceptions where teams can sign players despite the fact that they are over the salary cap.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #59
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
I understand enough to know the the LUXURY TAX threshold and the SPENDING threshold are...

wait for it....

wait.....

here it comes...

NOT THE SAME EFFING THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will STILL require a sign and trade!!!!

Is anybody in there?
I am still waiting for the exact rules that state that the Mavs cant sign Billups from free agency. You can play dumb all you want, but all you are doing is playing with words. Come on mister attorney person, interpret the rules for me, since I am the so-called dumb one on this issue. I know you wont respond with the answer because you are too busy trying to find someone who can answer it for you. I sure as hell cant read the NBA trade/free agent rules to know the loop holes and whatnots on how everything works, but you are saying you can................
Old 05-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #60
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
I can give a rats as* about a creditxpert. I am who I am, just like you are who you are. Dont put in the boat with any other poster but Silk Smoov. Get off your high horse and deal with what I said. Are you indeed an expert in the salary and luxury tax issue? If not, then how can you say that we CANT sign Billups?????

Answer that question above.
Teams over the salary cap have three spending options in free agency.

A) The MLE
B) The LLE, ever other year
C) The veteran's minimum

The only other way to get a player in free agency, is to work out a sign and trade with the other team. What that means is, the Pistons would have re-sign Billups and then trade him to Dallas for players that meet the salary requirements.

The Mavs would have to TRADE players...hence the TRADE part of "sign and trade".

That's it.

That's all there is to it.

I can't believe you haven't picked this up somewhere along the way.

Last edited by mary; 05-16-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #61
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
Seriously dude, straight up....take this to heart--

Mary understands how it works, you don't.

See this FAQ, especially #19 which examines the exceptions where teams can sign players despite the fact that they are over the salary cap.
From what I understand, that is before they start to pay the luxury tax. If this was the case, then how do teams get to http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm
Old 05-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #62
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
I am still waiting for the exact rules that state that the Mavs cant sign Billups from free agency. You can play dumb all you want, but all you are doing is playing with words. Come on mister attorney person, interpret the rules for me, since I am the so-called dumb one on this issue. I know you wont respond with the answer because you are too busy trying to find someone who can answer it for you. I sure as hell cant read the NBA trade/free agent rules to know the loop holes and whatnots on how everything works, but you are saying you can................
Silk,

If I may be so presumptious as to propose your next response to Mary:
Mary -- Thank you for clarifying the rules which state that the Mavs can't sign Billups from free agency. Clearly I was wrong and you were right.
That would be a very respectable response on your part.

Cheers
Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #63
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
From what I understand, that is before they start to pay the luxury tax. If this was the case, then how do teams get to http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm
Teams use "Bird Rights" to extend the contracts of their existing players.

The extending of these contracts, and the trading of these contracts, leads to teams having payrolls that are greater than the salary cap.

Last edited by mary; 05-16-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #64
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Teams over the salary cap have three spending options in free agency.

A) The MLE
B) The LLE, ever other year
C) The veteran's minimum

The only other way to get a player in free agency, is to work out a sign and trade with the other team. What that means is, the Pistons would have re-sign Billups and then trade him to Dallas for players that meet the salary requirements.

The Mavs would have to TRADE players...hence the TRADE part of "sign and trade".

That's it.

That's all there is to it.

I can't believe you haven't picked this up somewhere along the way.
Question for you, if you indeed an expert in this area. This is a serious question, just want a straight up answer.

Does Billups fall under the Bird Exception rule, if the Pistons knew that Billups was NOT going to re-sign with them, and they wanted Harris in a sign and trade deal. Which then also means that when a Billups is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #65
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Question for you, if you indeed an expert in this area. This is a serious question, just want a straight up answer.
I never said I was an expert...just that I knew the basics.

I knew enough not to start this stupid thread.

I've answered your question about spending exceptions.

Now its your turn.

How is Cuban going to get Billups without trading for him?

You've been asked this AT LEAST three times in this thread.

Please refrain from using the phrase "break the bank" in your answer.

Thanks.

Last edited by mary; 05-16-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #66
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
Silk,

If I may be so presumptious as to propose your next response to Mary:
Mary -- Thank you for clarifying the rules which state that the Mavs can't sign Billups from free agency. Clearly I was wrong and you were right.
That would be a very respectable response on your part.

Cheers
Larry exception
Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In a nutshell, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 05-16-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #67
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
I never said I was an expert...just that I knew the basics.

I knew enough not to start this stupid thread.

I've answered your question about spending exceptions.

Now its your turn.
Mary,
I am NOT an expert as well, but from what I understand the Bird Exception rule has some clauses/loopholes for players like Billups in free agency.

Larry exception
Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In a nutshell, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

The part I highlighted is where I am thinking where the Mavs could get Billups. I am not for sure, but since all the rumors are going around here, I was just trying to figure out if that is rule above is something that could happen. For the record, I am NOT creditxpert. I am just asking questions, and trying to figure out how Billups can come here.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #68
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mary,
I am NOT an expert as well, but from what I understand the Bird Exception rule has some clauses/loopholes for players like Billups in free agency.

Larry exception

The part I highlighted is where I am thinking where the Mavs could get Billups. I am not for sure, but since all the rumors are going around here, I was just trying to figure out if that is rule above is something that could happen. For the record, I am NOT creditxpert. I am just asking questions, and trying to figure out how Billups can come here.
Yes, the Bird exception is transfered when the player is traded. But in that case we would have to send equal salary back, hence the word TRADE.

There is no way, at all, that the Mavs can sign Billups for anything other than the MLE, the LLE, or the veteran's minimum. There are possible trade avenues, perhaps, but those are just that, trades.

Now, you need to apologize to Mary, because she, and all of us, are right, and you are wrong. You don't/didn't know the rules, and you just need to admit it.

It is truly confounding that someone could be so into basketball that he posts frequently on a board like this, and yet has never read a single article related to free agency, and is so out of touch with the NBA as a whole that he thinks Cuban hasn't been signing free agents simply because he hasn't yet wanted to "break the bank". It's just astounding.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-16-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #69
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Billups would have to come here in a trade, just as everyone has said.

Well considering that all of the teams still in the playoffs have quality point guards, there is no way Dumars will trade Billups to the Mavs. Billups is not as replaceable as Big Ben.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #70
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Yes, the Bird exception is transfered when the player is traded. But in that case we would have to send equal salary back, hence the word TRADE.

There is no way, at all, that the Mavs can sign Billups for anything other than the MLE, the LLE, or the veteran's minimum. There are possible trade avenues, perhaps, but those are just that, trades.

Now, you need to apologize to Mary, because she, and all of us, are right, and you are wrong. You don't/didn't know the rules, and you just need to admit it.

It is truly confounding that someone could be so into basketball that he posts frequently on a board like this, and yet has never read a single article related to free agency, and is so out of touch with the NBA as a whole that he thinks Cuban hasn't been signing free agents simply because he hasn't yet wanted to "break the bank". It's just astounding.
I dont owe you or anyone else anything. I dont know where you get off that someone NEEDS to give someone an apology. In that case, you need to apologize to me, because Billups is indeed a free agent after this season. And it has been told that the Mavs are indeed trying to get Billups in free agency. Now, how they get him is NOT my business or yours. If they do indeed get him in some sort of free agency or trade, they Mavs indeed will have to break the bank. Which is all my thread was about. Now, you and a couple of others turned it into something else.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #71
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:

What rules are you talking about. Go back and read all my posts from this thread and tell me which one you are talking about. You need to read ONLY my posts. If you read the others, they were twisting words and adding stuff that I never mentioned. I challenge you to go back to see what I said.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #72
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip41
Billups would have to come here in a trade, just as everyone has said.

Well considering that all of the teams still in the playoffs have quality point guards, there is no way Dumars will trade Billups to the Mavs. Billups is not as replaceable as Big Ben.
Dumars have "NO" say so in what Billups decide to do. Just like I keep saying. Billups can OPT out and do whatever he wants.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #73
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Mavs should just Break the Bank and sign Silk Smoov to be their GM.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #74
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
What rules are you talking about. Go back and read all my posts from this thread and tell me which one you are talking about. You need to read ONLY my posts. If you read the others, they were twisting words and adding stuff that I never mentioned. I challenge you to go back to see what I said.
Challenge accepted

Quote:

I know the cap information above , but the word here is that Cuban is going to break the bank, and Billups is the main name being tossed around. It seems that you are indeed just high, because at no time have you heard that I said he will sign for the MLE. I said Cuban will break the bank.
In this post, you claim to understand the RULES of the salary cap. And yet you claim that Cuban is going to "break the bank" as if the cap is not really an obstable, and he can get around it if he wants to.

You admitted that Billups could not be aquired for the MLE, so you are in fact claiming that the Mavs would be allowed to spend more than the MLE in free agency.

Quote:
Here you claim that Mary does NOT understand the RULES of the salary cap, but apparantly you do. You quote some luxury tax numbers, apparantly beleiving that they have a bearing on our ability to sign players. You ask "why not sign Billups". Why?? Because based on your own statements before, WE CAN'T! You already stated he would not sign for the MLE. Based on the rules of the cap, that is all we can offer. So by your own logic, we are unable to sign Billups.

Quote:
Here is the money quote. Here you admit that you have no friggin' clue how the salary cap works. The luxury tax is NOT the spending limit of the NBA. The salary cap is. Teams get over the salary cap by using the Larry Bird rights on their own existing free agents, and by using the Exceptions given by the NBA, which you already stated Billups would not sign for. When you complete a trade, if you are over the cap, you must trade essentially equal salary, within a certaion threshold.

You are right about one thing on Billups. He is very likely to opt out of his contract this season, and be a free agent. He can most certainly sign with whomever he wants. But as you already agreed to, it is EXCEEDINGLY unlikely that the top free agent on the market would sign with a team for the MLE. Because the Dallas Mavericks are over the NBA's salary cap, they can only offer the MLE. We've already decided he will not sign for that, so if the Mavs' want to pursue Billups, they will have to convince Billups AND the Detroit Pistons to complete a sign and trade, where they send the Piston salary roughly equal to the contract Billups signs.

So when someone says "the only way the Mavs can get Billups is if they trade for him", they are NOT incorrect.

So, as you can see from your quotes, you claimed more than once to know the rules of the salary cap. You claimed that Mary did not.

You are flat out wrong, and it would behoove you to just admit that you didn't know what you were talking about.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-16-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #75
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You are flat out wrong, and it would behoove you to just admit that you didn't know what you were talking about.
+1 for using 'behoove' in a setence.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #76
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditXpert2003
Dumars have "NO" say so in what Billups decide to do. Just like I keep saying. Billups can OPT out and do whatever he wants.
Dumars DOES have a say in ANY sign and trade that involves Billiups. Detroit ownership/management would have to approve of any trade involving Billups...PERIOD.

Chauncey Billups can not be signed as a free agent unless a) he accepts the MLE or b) the Pistons agree to a sign and trade.

As jthig, dalms, and countless others have pointed out, this is not a debatable issue.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #77
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Challenge accepted...You are flat out wrong, and it would behoove you to just admit that you didn't know what you were talking about.
I'm not exactly sure what "PWN" means, but I believe the foregoing was an example of PWNing someone.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #78
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Detroit will not make the mistake that the Mavs did in not paying the PG.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #79
bobatundi
Golden Member

The sky is not blue. Discuss.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #80
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Dumars DOES have a say in ANY sign and trade that involves Billiups. Detroit ownership/management would have to approve of any trade involving Billups...PERIOD.

Chauncey Billups can not be signed as a free agent unless a) he accepts the MLE or b) the Pistons agree to a sign and trade.

As jthig, dalms, and countless others have pointed out, this is not a debatable issue.
Once again you twist my words. I replied to that guy that said that Dumas has a say. My response is that Dumars DONT, because Billups can opt out and go anywhere he pleases. So my statement stands. You can flip it all you want, but my statement is clear. Billups decides what HE wants to do. Now, if Billups DECIDE to be a part of a trade, then Billups still decides what he will do, because he can always just go to free agency by his decision.
Closed Thread

Tags
classic threads