Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-25-2007, 11:47 PM   #41
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

new rule

1 goal per period.

Anything less, is unacceptable.

1 goal per period. 3 goals a game. You have to score 3 goals to win in this league.

This team blows so freaking hard on the road.

Can't wait for Saturday's abortion vs Phoenix.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:04 AM   #42
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i used to love madano

of course that was back in like 98, 99, 00, 01

but then i started to dislike hockey...no offense.

oh also i liked hatcher too
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #43
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

modano?? did he even play last night? i swear i barely remember him being on the ice. i know the ribs, lehts, morrow line was everywhere, but i don't think you get mo going unless you put him back on a line with his little buddy jere.

and not only did i have to watch that crap last night, i had to put up with my announcer nemesis - the beating that is kings color guy jim fox.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #44
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

They've scored like...what....5 goals in their last 4 road games?

God they suck. 30 shots last night, all into the big Kings logo on his chest.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #45
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Modano has 2 points tonight so far. Getting closer...

PS: Morrow & Ribs both have 3 points a piece tonight. Have to love that pairing. When they can talk to Ribs' agent in January, I really want them to get his deal done & have the two of them locked up during their prime & build the team around them in the new few years.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #46
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

What an absolute disgrace that game was. They were in control & then had a meltdown of epic proportions out of nowhere! WTF? They better be having a players only meeting after this disaster. Get it together. There's no excuse for this crap.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #47
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They played great for about 52 minutes. And then in 4 minutes it was all gone.

Every one of those goals scored came off a give away, a puck battle, and a bigger body for the Sharks getting the puck to a scoring area.

The Stars are small. The Sharks are big. This is the way that all 8 of these games will go. The Stars have no size, and it's killing them.

The life got sucked out of that building like an overtime playoff goal.

I really don't feel like going back wed or friday at the moment. I just don't feel like it.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #48
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

Robidas got mauled by thornton. When is grossman coming back???
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 PM   #49
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Worst 2 home losses I've ever seen in person, back to back.

At least I know I don't have to buy playoff tickets this year.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:10 AM   #50
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

after razor laying down "he stoned him with his pumpkin!!!" and the comeback, i was feeling pretty good. then, just like the other night, it all fell apart so fast.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:05 AM   #51
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I've thought of the word for this team:

Stupid.

They're a stupid team. They're not lazy, they're not untalented. They're not unlucky, and I wouldn't call them 'bad'

They're stupid.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #52
mnmpeanut

i don't know, i think i'd go with lazy. sporadically lazy, both mentally and physically.

physically, they just don't seem to bring enough effort day in and day out, and i think that's been the case for a number of years. they can bring it when they are properly motivated, but, like my 15 year old, they have trouble with self-motivation. they seem to constantly need a boot in their ass, and at this level, they shouldn't need that every night.

mentally, they just seem to lose focus easily. way too many brain farts for a team as talented and experienced as this one is. too many costly turnovers. too many bad penalties.

but, as usual, i still have hope. it's early, but there are good signs and troubling signs.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #53
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

Morrow's definitely leading, the question is, who's following?
Unfortunately the answer seems to be "his line".
ilMavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #54
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

That line is the only good thing about this team. When they're out there in the other teams zone, things are cool. But I have no confidence in their ability to get back on D, or that the guys who are playing D are going to do anything but chase the other team around for about 40 seconds until a penalty or goal happens.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #55
ames7
Diamond Member

Okay, so...I just got home & saw that score. This is maybe the first time I've thought--I mean, for real for real thought--Tipp is about to get fired. I mean, this thing had bounce-back game written all over it. They had the players-only meeting, it was Phoenix, come ON. And your response is to get blown out? Look, I think Tipp is a really good coach & I really don't know who else you're going to get, but don't you have to do something at this point? You're just lucky SJ, LA & the Ducks have started slow also & you aren't buried in your division already. But something about this team is all wrong & you can't wait to fix it or this season is gone.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #56
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They were totally snake bit tonight. they had chance after chance after chance and it just wouldn't get in. Lots of mad scrums near the net, lots of chances. And the freaking coyotes would come down and have about 1/10th the ice time, and put the puck in the net.

I left early tonight. First time ever. I was so disgusted after 2, I said to my wife "It's Friday night, we deserve to have a GOOD time" So we left. Screw them. Screw them if that's what they're going to put on the ice.

I don't need that stress. Eff that, and Eff tipppet and Eff Modano and every other guy who isn't giving it his all out there. Lets keep Morrow, Lehtinen, Hagman and Ribeiro and cut every single other GD player and call up the Iowa Stars.

This season is down the tubes after a month and a day.

/suck
Old 11-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #57
mnmpeanut

wow, flaco is PISSED!! i guess if i forked out mucho bucks for season tickets, i'd be pissed too.

i'm with you ames. for the first time, i'm really questioning tipp's coaching. i think he knows he's hanging on by a thread and he's panic coaching. yanking goalies, mo on the 4th line, etc. its too early in the season and this is too veteran a bunch to do stuff like that.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #58
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I don't think Tipp is at risk, but who really knows.

Flaco is p'd at himself because he knew exactly what to expect. I guess we all knew, but "hope" makes you stupid.

This thing feels like it could burst into flames any moment.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #59
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I am totally out of suggestions on how to fix this thing. I think they're just totally boned.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:10 PM   #60
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Now that the rockets have been put to bed, time to settle in for 2 periods of Stars gayness.

Stars up 1-0 after one. I'm sure that wil lbe short lived.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #61
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

4-0? are you kidding me?

This is fun....so far.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:50 PM   #62
ames7
Diamond Member

I may hate just about everything else about this team, but damn, I love that Ribeiro line. So money.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #63
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

the riberio line is bad ass, However I believe that robidas and daley are pretty spare when in comes to shutting opponents down at key times. Also is it just me or does robidas become detached from his stick more than any other player? When can Grossman come and play??? And a better question can we string 2 solid games together??
Old 11-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #64
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm not ready to be down on Robi yet. Maybe I like that guy, but I'd much rather discuss how many Daley shifts end in a mad scrum around the net. That guy always seems to be out of position to me.

I'm convinced that Zubie's struggles early in the year, were a direct result of playing with Trevor.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #65
wesbrynt

don't get me wrong I like robidas too, think he plays well over his actual talent level, but It always seems like he drops his stick. Me and my girlfriend will look for this and count how many times per game it happens. Next time you see a stick on the ice look, It probably is robidass'. Flaco, do you know why grossman has not gotten a chance this year. I really thought he was great last season. Also why did we demote lundquist, when miettinen and jokinen had been playing signifigantly worse IMO.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #66
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They scratched Jussi the game before last, then brought him back last night and he scored a goal.

Miettinen I'd be happy to never see again.

Grossman was injured to start the season,but I'm sure he's ok by now? I'm not really sure. They're so pleased with Niskanen that they don't want to bring Grossman up. I love Niskanen as well.

They need to man up and scratch one of the others, but they all make so much money, I think they feel locked into this 6.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #67
ames7
Diamond Member

I love Robi's hustle & heart, but the guy is just not that talented. That contract a few years back was a mistake, just b/c we can't easily move him. And he's got another 2 years left, I think. He's not even that young. Just sucks b/c I think he's a nice 7th D to have around, but he makes $1.5 mil.

Daley is a guy who I said in the offseason I wouldn't mind seeing them move. I mean, he's young, cheap, I think totally movable. Would be nice to get a nice winger for him at the deadline, however, I don't really get the feeling they are looking to move him, do you?

Miettinen should pretty much always be a scratch unless people are hurt. Not a big fan of playing Fedoruk over, say, Ott, either.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #68
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3099639

CHECK OUT WHO MADE THE FIRST COMMENT FOR THIS STORY...

Modano's short-handed goal breaks U.S.-born scoring record

Associated Press

Updated: November 7, 2007, 11:24 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Dallas center Mike Modano broke Phil Housley's NHL record for career points by an American-born player with two quick goals in the opening minutes of the Stars' game against the San Jose Sharks on Wednesday night.

Mike Modano

Modano

Modano's two goals in the first 4:24 gave him 1,233 points in 1,253 regular-season games -- 242 games fewer than Housley played.

Modano, a 37-year-old Livonia, Mich., native who has spent his entire career with the Stars in Minnesota and Dallas, first tied Housley's mark by beating Sharks goalie Evgeni Nabokov on a long slap shot just 2:19 in. His 510th career goal -- also a U.S.-born record -- was just Modano's third in 15 games this season.

Mere moments after the Shark Tank crowd gave a warm round of applause for Modano's achievement, the star center broke away for a short-handed goal 4:24 in, slipping the puck under Nabokov to break the record.

Modano, who hadn't scored in Dallas' previous three games, became the career goal-scoring leader among U.S. players on March 17 with a pair against the Nashville Predators, surpassing Joe Mullen's previous record of 502.

Housley, a defenseman from St. Paul, Minn., played for eight teams in 21 seasons. He held the points record for seven years after getting 338 goals and 894 assists from 1982-2003 for Buffalo, Winnipeg, St. Louis, Calgary, New Jersey, Washington, Chicago and Toronto.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #69
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah they were a couple of beauties too. I was dancing around like a fool.

That being said, the Sharks are having a much better effort tonight than the Stars. It feels like they're going to catch up. Especially if we keep taking these stupid penalties.

Good for Mo though. 2 great goal.s
Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #70
ames7
Diamond Member

I'm really happy for Mo, but I'm way happier that it's just over & we get back to business as usual & getting this thing all the way back on track. Great that he got the second one the same game too. Just too bad it wasn't at home. Obviously I lack TV...sounds like the SJ crowd outclassed Trashville by a mile though?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #71
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
I'm really happy for Mo, but I'm way happier that it's just over & we get back to business as usual & getting this thing all the way back on track. Great that he got the second one the same game too. Just too bad it wasn't at home. Obviously I lack TV...sounds like the SJ crowd outclassed Trashville by a mile though?
10 miles. They had a great shot of the crowd and there were tons of people standing and clapping, and Mo acknowledgd the crowd. It was VERY classy.

Of course then about a minute later he scored the 2nd one, and I can forgive them for this, they were less than thrilled. The next timeout after that they again put it up on the big screen and they cheered a little more

Over all, a very nice effort from the San Jose folks.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #72
ames7
Diamond Member

3-1 final & Mo gets the game-winning-goal. Nice. Check out that shot total though...39 vs 12 won't usually get you a W, y'all.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 AM   #73
mnmpeanut

congrats to mo for the record and the shark tank crowd for a classy ovation.

and, you're right ames, 39 to 12 usually won't get it done, unless.....

"a tough night for nabakov when the guy at the other end of the ice could stop a pea with a car antenna."

amen, razor, amen.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #74
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

Modano picked a good game to start scoring again. Congrats to him. This was one of the few nights that the Ribeiro line was invisible. The 4th line also put in a good effort. Zubov played Pronger-like minutes to make up for Norstrom going out. Those of you looking for Grossman to get the call shouldn't have to wait much longer. Oh, and Turco definitely stole one last night, let the record show.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #75
MavsX
Diamond Member

flacolaco, i am confident that this thread and other stars threads is where you get the bulk of your posts. you know since you almost have 9k
Old 11-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #76
ilMavvento

Oh, and Biedrins was at the game. He will probably be too depressed to play tonight.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #77
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilMavvento
Oh, and Biedrins was at the game. He will probably be too depressed to play tonight.
Good. I hate that guy.

p.s. How do you know he was at the game? Did I miss that on tv?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #78
wesbrynt

way to go modano! Good to get that out of the way, What happened to norstrom I fell asleep after the 1st period? Trevor daley sucks, and Jokinen cannot cleanly handle a pass and shoot. Keep miettinen on the bench and fedourk also. Go Stars
Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #79
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
way to go modano! Good to get that out of the way, What happened to norstrom I fell asleep after the 1st period? Trevor daley sucks, and Jokinen cannot cleanly handle a pass and shoot. Keep miettinen on the bench and fedourk also. Go Stars
He took a high stick to the face, which was sufficiently bad enough that he left and didn't come back the rest of the game, and probably won't play tonight.

And somehow, it only got us a 2 minute power play. Not 4. I'm still confused on that.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #80
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations mike modano, definitely a great feat.

he is one of the superstars that have seen the rise and fall of the NHL during his career.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote