Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ryan Hollins appreciation thread

I really like what this guy brings!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
High-flying Ryan Hollins keeps rising to the challenge
Tim MacMahon - DMN
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archi...rising-to.html

The flashes of brilliance from Ryan Hollins are a lot of fun to watch. And they're coming a lot more often lately.

The 7-footer who cleared his height in the high jump during his UCLA days has had three games worth buzzing about this month. That's major progress for a backup big man who routinely racked up DNP-CDs or got garbage-time scraps during his first month and a half as a Mav.

Hollins gave the Mavs a huge spark in their crucial win over the Suns on March 10, making Shaq huff and puff while getting six points and four rebounds in 14 minutes. He responded to his first start for the Mavs with a 13-point, seven-rebound performance in a loss last week to the Hawks in which he was the lone bright spot.

And he had his best performance yet during last night's loss to the Nuggets -- nine points (highlighted by three crowd-energizing jams), eight rebounds and four blocks.

"He's 7 feet tall and has a 40-inch vertical," Dirk said. "It's hard not to play him."

Hollins, player development coach Popeye Jones' 24-year-old project, knows his role: rebound, protect the rim, run the floor and finish. Or, to sum it up in two words, provide energy.

"If I'm not playing hard, something's wrong," Hollins said. "I'm going to give you everything I got. Since I was taught to play basketball, I only knew one speed."

If Hollins keeps it up, he'll probably run his way right into a decent contract this summer.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
"He's 7 feet tall and has a 40-inch vertical," Dirk said. "It's hard not to play him."
Especially this quote by Dirk.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently it is hard for Carlisle to play him. Hollins didn't even get a chance against GS. And didn't play the last minute against Denver. Hollins could have been great helpside d on Melo those two times he scored in the final minute.

Hollins and Damp should be getting 48 minutes. Bass or Dirk should never have to play the center spot. Just give him a damn chance.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

I think that he's a huge piece of the future mavs puzzle. He's an energetic "big" man with the athleticism to really put a bit of fear in whomever he's guarding at the moment. I would love to see him develop a bit more offensively (instead of getting the lob pass him just cut to the paint on his own), but that's not to say that his play lately hasn't been a huge glimmer of hope in the seasons to come.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
NYMAVGUY

NYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura aboutNYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura about

I've gone on record record in this Forum on many occasions saying that I would like to see Hollins play. His upside and potential is tremedous. he reminds me of Tyson chandler. Athletic and young. perfect for some a inside threat.
NYMAVGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

If Hollins can become a poor man's Tyson Chandler, and if Green can become a poor man's LeBron James over the summer, things are looking up for this team.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
If Hollins can become a poor man's Tyson Chandler, and if Green can become a poor man's LeBron James over the summer, things are looking up for this team.
LOL. A poor man's Lebron James is Danny Granger lol. A poor man's Lebron James is a all star in this league lol. I'd take him being a solid rotation player. Now Hollins on the other hand I don't think there's a such thing as a poor man's Chandler. He's a gifted athlete who relies on athleticism to play defense and dunk. I think Hollin's can be just as good. That's if what we're seeing from him isn't some fluke.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
Itachi

Itachi is on a distinguished road

I've said nothing but good things about Hollins. Hopefully we'll get to see more of him and less of Damp (not that I have anything against him).
Itachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
LOL. A poor man's Lebron James is Danny Granger lol. A poor man's Lebron James is a all star in this league lol. I'd take him being a solid rotation player. Now Hollins on the other hand I don't think there's a such thing as a poor man's Chandler. He's a gifted athlete who relies on athleticism to play defense and dunk. I think Hollin's can be just as good. That's if what we're seeing from him isn't some fluke.
Granger doesn't have the hops and the dunks that Green and LeBron have.

But if you'd prefer: If Green can become a VERY poor man's Lebron, I'd be happy
Old 03-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
I've said nothing but good things about Hollins. Hopefully we'll get to see more of him and less of Damp (not that I have anything against him).
Whoever is playing better, imo.

edit: But just because Hollins goes and makes some mistakes, doesn't mean you bench him. Like you did with Green. Hollins should get playing time each of our last 9 games (is that right? just 9 left?) to see what he can do.

Last edited by tcat075; 03-29-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Whoever is playing better, imo.

edit: But just because Hollins goes and makes some mistakes, doesn't mean you bench him. Like you did with Green. Hollins should get playing time each of our last 9 games (is that right? just 9 left?) to see what he can do.
I'd like to know why has Carsile waited untl the last 9 games to start giving these guys minutes? What took so long? Who knows where we'd be right now with Green and Hollins getting more pt. I'm not disputing the record. Chances are we'd still be in 8th place. However, Green and Hollins progress would be a lot further than what is right now. We might not know what we have in these guys until next season.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon, Green hasn't deserved any more time lately. He had one good game (Denver) and now everyone is clamoring for him again.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
Re-Dirk-ulous

Re-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
LOL. A poor man's Lebron James is Danny Granger
What about Andre Iguodala? Kinda looks like him too
Re-Dirk-ulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
C'mon, Green hasn't deserved any more time lately. He had one good game (Denver) and now everyone is clamoring for him again.
No, he probably hasn't deserved it, but what choice do we have? We scored freaking 25 points in the 2nd half. Green's known as a scorer. If he gets some playing time, hopefully it clicks. That's really all I/we want. Get the kid a little playing time and you never know what happens...

By the way, his good game was Golden State. He shot 2/9 in the Denver game.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'd like to know why has Carsile waited untl the last 9 games to start giving these guys minutes? What took so long? Who knows where we'd be right now with Green and Hollins getting more pt. I'm not disputing the record. Chances are we'd still be in 8th place. However, Green and Hollins progress would be a lot further than what is right now. We might not know what we have in these guys until next season.
Hit the nail on the head. +rep. Its not about suddenly being a better team. Its about developing young talent.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Old 03-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

^lol @ Green's face in the background.

"But that's what I wanted to do "
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone post a picture of Hollins riding Varejao like a bull.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #19
Laotor

Laotor will become famous soon enough

I would of thought that play when Hollins was riding Varejao would be on the Top 10 ?!?
Laotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the fact that we finally have an athletic center. Let this kid get some confidence and watch what happens. We definitely need to resign him. Hopefully he can get in the weight room and bulk up some. As long as he is working his legs out too putting on weight shouldn't effect his leaping ability. We could use a better big man coach this offseason. This offseason is really important for Hollins. Green too but that may be a moot point.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

This kid is gonna cost 20-25 million this summer with the way he is playing. 7 foot freak athletes are a rare commodity. Hollins can play too. He just needs some more experience and learning. Most of all, he has been fairly consistent lately.

Should Donnie/Mark shell out the cash to keep this kid? Especially after the Diop fiasco?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
This kid is gonna cost 20-25 million this summer with the way he is playing. 7 foot freak athletes are a rare commodity. Hollins can play too. He just needs some more experience and learning. Most of all, he has been fairly consistent lately.

Should Donnie/Mark shell out the cash to keep this kid? Especially after the Diop fiasco?

20 -25 mil? How long we signing him for 10 years?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #23
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
20 -25 mil? How long we signing him for 10 years?
Diop got the full midlevel.

Do you think Hollins is better than Diop?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #24
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

He has more potential, that's for sure. And a semblance of offense. And he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

He shouldn't get the midlevel. Diop got it, but he wasn't worth it, obviously. Hollins will also not be worth it from what he has shown so far. He may be down the line, but if that's what he's asking for now, I say we let him walk. Just don't bump this thread in 3 years when he's a perennial all-star. Like any of you see that happening as of now!

Last edited by bernardos70; 03-31-2009 at 02:07 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:06 PM   #25
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

Absolutely

Old 03-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Don't underestimate the effect this economy is having on the NBA. I think this year most teams won't even be willing to spend the MLE on players who actually deserve it. Most teams are going to be in full cost-cutting mode this summer.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #27
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

I like the kid.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #28
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

I think this thread needs to be continued.

Hollins deserves 10+/game. Its been a while since he's done anything stupid. For being such a young player, he played excellent defense - help and on Duncan. He can actually get way up there, grab the ball, and dunk it unlike anyone else on this team. I'd like to see some Kidd, Hollins pick and roll expecting about 1-2 alleyoops per game.

Thanks Diop! You actually provided something good for us this season.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #29
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

No team will give that kid allready now the MLE. Diop was a proven defensive playoff performer. Chris Anderson is the center several teams will go crazy with their MLE this summer.

Worst case he will eat our bi-anual. But im pretty sure he will stay. He also knows that our starting center is old and plays a game that bring him often in foul trouble.

He is the perfect complement to Dampier and fit good with Kidds game.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #30
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

If Hollins can continue to develop, and the lineup with Bass at Center continues to produce, Dampier becomes expendable. (I know a lot of people have felt he was expendable since he signed with us, but I've actually been a Damp supporter all this time). His $10MM+ expiring contract should be worth quite a bit, either in the offseason or, worst case, at the deadline. Damp & Stack can be bundled together for a max contract player; throw in the customary $3MM cash, and you're talking about $8MM in instant savings for the acquiring team, plus presumably a lot more savings than that if we take back someone with a longer-term deal.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #31
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Going with Hollins/Bass as center in a season gives me headache, remember we have to beat the lakers some day the next 2-3 years

If Damp is gone in summer then a center will come back (Shaq, Kaman), thats for sure...

With Damp and Stack/Williams/George we can pull together 2 ~12 million pakets.

Last edited by sefant77; 04-27-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #32
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how anyone can actually find fault in the way that Carlisle has been handling his bench or his starters. The only criticism I can find with him is that he hasn't found a way to get the team to consistently bring it.

His handling of Green is perfect, green continues to be brain-dead when he gets in the game. He's had hollins out there when he can make a positive impact and the kids responded. I've seen hollins go in and get absolutely schooled.

RC puts 'em in and watches 'em close. They play well, they stay in, they bone-head-it-up or don't bring the energy that a bench guy has too, he sits 'em. It seems pretty simple, but I expect much harder to do.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #33
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Shaq starting, with Hollins coming off the bench. Drool.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #34
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
No team will give that kid allready now the MLE.
Never underestimate stupid teams. Remember when Seattle gave Booth a few dollar north of the MLE for basically one great shot? Hollins is definitely now at where Booth was at that point. The only reason why that same contract might not happen now is the economy. I could see an up-and-coming team like the Thunder throw a few bucks his way. It wouldn't surprise me at least

Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #35
banpeikun

banpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to allbanpeikun is a name known to all

I'm always pumped up when Hollins comes into the game. He's had really solid minutes against quality big men (Shaq, Yao, Duncan). I like the energy and athleticism he brings. The dunk over Duncan and the swat on Hill were two of the most exciting moments in game 4.

He sets some really weird looking picks though.
banpeikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #36
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Never underestimate stupid teams. Remember when Seattle gave Booth a few dollar north of the MLE for basically one great shot? Hollins is definitely now at where Booth was at that point. The only reason why that same contract might not happen now is the economy. I could see an up-and-coming team like the Thunder throw a few bucks his way. It wouldn't surprise me at least
Yeah sure but i think our luck this offseason will be the birdman. Maybe we can resign Hollins cheap during several times still hunting Anderson
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #37
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

He's been great in this series because he's not going for all the fakes from Duncan which is surprisingly disciplined. IF we advance and we see Denver, he'll be a good counter to the Birdman.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #38
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
Shaq starting, with Hollins coming off the bench. Drool.
This...

Like bobatundi said a few posts back - Damp is expendable and could probably fetch us a more-than-solid starter with his contract... If Damp is out, I'd love to have Shaq banging around in the paint (even Old Shaq works if Hollins can show more consistency...)

I'm still pretty high on trying to get Chandler this summer, but I've seen the same energy/athleticism out of Hollins, so Shaq might be a better change-up guy... Bass also becomes expendable if Hollins could consistently produce around the same level he did in Game 4...

But then again - if I've learned anything about this Mavs team, it's that you should never judge/pay your centers based on how they produce against the San Antonio Spurs in the playoffs!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #39
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I only have one thing to say to the bobcats.

LOL.

Hollins > Diop

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #40
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I've noticed about Hollins is how much smarter he's been playing lately...

Earlier in the season he had the same problem as Green - great energy, but no focus... He'd get overzealous on defense and quickly rack up the fouls, but as the season rolled on he developed a better sense of discipline...

The best example was a play down the stretch last game when San Antonio was still within striking distance - Duncan had a step on Hollins driving to the hoop and Hollins let him get his rather than drawing a weak foul that wouldn't have stopped the dunk and would have sent Timmy the the line... For a split second he considered going for the stop, but he backed off once he realized he was beat (which kept the game manageable for the Mavs...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-27-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ohh jaymmm, ooh jam, ooooh jaaam