Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Nowitzness81

Nowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant future
Default Will the Heat stop jacking up threes now?

After a ridiculous start to the series Wade and James were both 2 for 7 from three-point range tonight. It probably cost them the game.

I'd say we'll see them pass up the three more now...
Nowitzness81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
robo98564

robo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of light

God I hope not... I said early in the GDT today that I hoped they would continue to do so, and that ended up being our saving grace. Jackin up 3s early in the shotclock helped us dig out of our hole for sure, so THANK YOU Miami... Please keep it up!

I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight... AHHHHHHHH
robo98564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i'm sure as long as we leave them wide open, they'll keep shooting.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
robo98564

robo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
i'm sure as long as we leave them wide open, they'll keep shooting.
They weren't wide open in the 4th...
robo98564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Law of averages.

LBJ and Wade ARE NOT that good of three point shooters. At the end, they started to come back to Earth. I just hope Bibby reverts to his Pre-Mavs ALL SEASON form too.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

So what if they do? The Mavs defense isn't giving them easy drives to the basket most of the time. If they pass up threes, they'll be running into a lot of shot clock violations and horrible last-second twos.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Law of averages.

LBJ and Wade ARE NOT that good of three point shooters. At the end, they started to come back to Earth. I just hope Bibby reverts to his Pre-Mavs ALL SEASON form too.
This is why them shooting 45% from three in game 1 and us missing 5 layups was flukish and would have given us a serious chance at winning game 1.

Last edited by MascisMan; 06-03-2011 at 12:23 AM.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Mike Bibby hadn't hit more than 2 threes in a playoff game this year.

4-7 tonight.

That little bitch better start missing again.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Blackspider

Blackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of light

Will the Heat stop being flaming homo douchebags?

Probably not.
Blackspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
jcm28

jcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider View Post
Will the Heat stop being flaming homo douchebags?

Probably not.
Too bad I need to spread more rep around before giving it to you again.

Now, about the 3's, I doubt they will stop. wade is a good 3pt shooter, so hell take his looks, and lebron is plain stupid+a jerk, so he'll want to score more 3's like in game 1.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't want to mention it in the GDT, but Cadbane was going off about "losing to statistical anomalies," given that 30% shooters were hitting at 50% or somesuch so far in this series. Cadbane...those weren't "statistical anomalies," those were data points. You don't build a 35% average by shooting 35% every game. (Unless your SD is 0.) There are likely to be many, many games where you hit at 50% or even better. And of course, many where you hit at 20% or less.

Let's hope that the poor shooting continues--and more to the point, that we can contribute to it. Because it certainly wouldn't be a "statistical anomaly" if in any one game a player went 4-5 or so again. (That's just the way it is, always, and is not to mention that one generally would like to see a player step up his game on the biggest of stages.)
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
CadBane
Banned

When it continues, it is a statistical anomaly.

Wade had hit two three pointers in 1 of 15 playoff games. He's now done it two straight games.

LBJ had hit more than 3 threes in 1 of 15 games. He hit 4 in game 1.

Bibby had shot 50% or better in 2 of 16 games. He was 4-7 tonight.

Bibby had hit 3 or 4 threes in 0 of 16 games. He was 4-7 tonight.

ALL of those things culminating in 2 games are anomalies.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #13
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Something that better start regressing to the average soon: Peja's 3-pt attempts.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When it continues, it is a statistical anomaly.
Yes, that is true. If it continues over some significant stretch, after going long enough without it, then something has likely changed. That doesn't necessarily mean, however, that what is changed is the guy's shooting ability. Could be that open shots weren't there before, in the last sample, and now they were.

Keep in mind that 40-point games from Dirk are statistical anomalies, too, if you want to look at it that way. Doesn't mean that they aren't always lurking, if the situation avails itself.

I'm not trying to fight with you. I'm just saying that Lebron and/or Wade may decide to rise up and hit a few more threes in this series, and maybe at a big clip, and especially if we roll the red carpet for them. If they do that, I wouldn't be one to say "No way! He's a 35% shooter!"
Old 06-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #15
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Yes, that is true. If it continues over some significant stretch, after going long enough without it, then something has likely changed. That doesn't necessarily mean, however, that what is changed is the guy's shooting ability. Could be that open shots weren't there before, in the last sample, and now they were.

Keep in mind that 40-point games from Dirk are statistical anomalies, too, if you want to look at it that way. Doesn't mean that they aren't always lurking, if the situation avails itself.

I'm not trying to fight with you. I'm just saying that Lebron and/or Wade may decide to rise up and hit a few more threes in this series, and maybe at a big clip, and especially if we roll the red carpet for them. If they do that, I wouldn't be one to say "No way! He's a 35% shooter!"
My problem is all of them hitting beyond their norm at the same time.

Bibby going 4-7 (yes, many are wide open...but ALL of Bibby's looks have been this good all year) when he's shooting under 30% for 16 games.

LBJ & Wade hitting contested threes when they usually hit below 30% and below 35%, respectively.

You throw all that in a blender, at the same time, that's when it stretches things.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
My problem is all of them hitting beyond their norm at the same time.

Bibby going 4-7 (yes, many are wide open...but ALL of Bibby's looks have been this good all year) when he's shooting under 30% for 16 games.

LBJ & Wade hitting contested threes when they usually hit below 30% and below 35%, respectively.

You throw all that in a blender, at the same time, that's when it stretches things.
Okay. Fair enough. Probably has you feeling pretty good about Mavs in five, doesn't it? No arguments here!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #17
Nowitzness81

Nowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant future

Bottom line, if the Heat try to out-three the Mavs in Dallas we'll shoot them out of the AAC.
Nowitzness81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #18
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Heat ended up 9-30 from deep tonight, so that sounds about right to me percentage-wise.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #19
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowitzness81 View Post
Bottom line, if the Heat try to out-three the Mavs in Dallas we'll shoot them out of the AAC.
Most Def...
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #20
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

only thing that worries me is stevenson getting overconfident and chucking up another 0-7 game like game 5 against OKC
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #21
Blackspider

Blackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of lightBlackspider is a glorious beacon of light

I'm hoping the AAC starts to get Peja and Terry going. If those 2 can heat up and feed off our crowd, the Heat are in huge trouble.

We split in Miami after getting nothing at all really from them. And Dirk not even really going off. JJB not doing what he can do. And fucking Bibby shooting out of his mind.

I'm liking this.
Blackspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The rush of knocking down the clutch three is way too powerful for Wade and LeBron. They'd rather take the ill-advised threes
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #23
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

To improve spacing, they need to be a threat at the 3 point line. Nonetheless, they got carried away I think.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #24
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

They can shoot the 3 pretty good, so just at least put pressure on their 3's vs just giving them 2 seconds to line up.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #25
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I encourage the Heat to keep shooting 30+ threes - I'd love to finish this series in Dallas.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thread diarrhea