Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-08-2003, 01:13 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nene Hilario has changed his name

Nene Hilario is now just Nene

Nene Hilario has legally changed his name to a single word, Nene, the team announced.

Nene is pronounced "Nuh-NAY."

It's common in Nene's home country of Brazil for star athletes to be known by a single name.

Nene, a forward-center, averaged 10.5 points and 6.1 rebounds in 80 games last season

ESPN Link
Old 08-08-2003, 01:18 AM   #2
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Nene Hilario has changed his name

Doesn't it translate to 'little baby' or something like that?
I vaguely remember it being something slightly humourous...but
I would've read it in all the draft stuff last season...so of course in
the time that has past since then I could've easily made the entire
story up.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 04:19 AM   #3
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

There will never be another Pele so what's the point?

Who does this guy think he is? I'll tell ya who I think he is, a Brazilian who averaged 10 points a game last year and is'nt even the best player from South America or even Brazil for that matter.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:41 AM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Rod - your anger is completely mislead.

EVERY Brazilian making it to major leagues or - depending on the sports he play - uses some kind of abbreviation.

ThereĀ“s no need to hack on him ...
Old 08-08-2003, 05:36 AM   #5
Rod1975
Golden Member

Sorry to seem so abrasive, but solo monikers, IMO belong to the likes of Pele and Maradonna. They are earned, then changed, not the other way around.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:20 AM   #6
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you are in the NBA, you've earned the right.
10 pts and 6 rbs. Who cares how many names he has? He should be on the mavs.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 07:22 AM   #7
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Link

Its better than the name in the link.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:32 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

ouch, that was ugly
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:50 AM   #9
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry to seem so abrasive, but solo monikers, IMO belong to the likes of Pele and Maradonna. They are earned, then changed, not the other way around.
Lot's of famous Brazilians changed their name to one word before it was earned. Look at Xuxa.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #10
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Much better than Maybyner.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:05 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I guess Nene wanted his jersey changed and this was the only way to do it.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:55 AM   #12
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Correct pronunciation of Nene is sort of pronouncing the following word: net-net, except without the t's. A slight accent on the last syllable. Nene is a very common name...typically given to the youngest in the family...In Brazil, the one worded name is common among athletes, but I don't remember if it's a legal name. Even though Pele's legal name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, teams don't need legal name changes to put his name on the back of the shirt. I wonder if Nene did so because the NBA doesn't allow nicknames on jerseys? Could you imagine Flying Tiger, Stickman, Diggler, Nashty, LaFoul on the back of jerseys?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:09 PM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Very good explanation, maringa.

I doubted about the pronunciation; we also use the net-net without the t's but the accent is in the first syllable.

About why he did it, your point sounds good. Imagine "El Rayo" also. (or Riganever [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])
Old 08-08-2003, 12:12 PM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

...or "He hate me"

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:19 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

he hate me. not only a weird nickname, but also incorrect conjugation. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2003, 01:25 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Nene.

I like it.

It is a cultural thing too, so don't hate on him for doing it. More power to him.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:28 PM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i mean, there' pele, ronaldo, etc. i have no problem with it.

i mean, if yao and wang get to put their first names on their jerseys... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2003, 02:20 PM   #18
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Names aside, I wish there was a way to have landed Nene on our roster. I wish last year during the draft, we could have offered LaFrentz to New York for that pick. Nene is a monster, and he is going to bloom this year! If he ever develops a good shot like Malone was able to develop, he is going to be unstopable and Shaq would be the least of our worries.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:43 PM   #19
Rod1975
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux

i mean, if yao and wang get to put their first names on their jerseys... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Actually BBL Yao and Wang are their last names. Unlike Bateer,Yao and Wang are from Shanghai where the last name pronounced is actually their first name. The Family name comes first.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:44 PM   #20
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Quote:

Actually BBL Yao and Wang are their last names. Unlike Bateer,Yao and Wang are from Shanghai where the last name pronounced is actually their first name. The Family name comes first.
That is true. And the thing about Bateer, its because he was born in Mongolia, not China.
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 05:18 PM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

thus the smilie, guys. it's been discussed like a gazillion times on the board. just making light.

but on that note, how come ichiro gets his first name on his jersey (he's japanese)? is that just an MLB thing?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:41 PM   #22
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: signoftimes
Quote:
Lot's of famous Brazilians changed their name to one word before it was earned. Look at Xuxa.
Isn't Maradona from Argentina?

Old 08-08-2003, 09:53 PM   #23
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Yes, yes he is.

People should be able to change their name to whatever they want
why is it a priveledge that only elite atheletes should enjoy? Stuff that..i'm changing
my name right now!!

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:22 PM   #24
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

i'm pretty sure it's the same deal with ichiro as with wang and yao, but i'm no expert.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:14 PM   #25
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
thus the smilie, guys. it's been discussed like a gazillion times on the board. just making light.

but on that note, how come ichiro gets his first name on his jersey (he's japanese)? is that just an MLB thing?
It is because his family name is Ichiro, his given name is Suzuki. Yao Ming's parents named him Ming and his family name is Yao. In Asia your family names comes first.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:18 PM   #26
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
Quote:

It is because his family name is Ichiro, his given name is Suzuki. Yao Ming's parents named him Ming and his family name is Yao. In Asia your family names comes first.
Not all of Asia.
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 08:52 AM   #27
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

exactly.

what about the closer in seatlle? or matsui in new york? they have their last names on their jerseys. Japanese customs are different from Chinese customs.

Ichiro's family name is suzuki. he just has his first name on his jersey. (he's kind of like madonna over in japan... known by one name).

Article
Old 08-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #28
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Imagine "The Refrigerator".