Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-15-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kings sign Anthony Peeler

Kings sign veteran guard Peeler

Bee Sports Staff
Published 11:37 a.m. PDT Friday, August 15, 2003

The Sacramento Kings signed veteran guard Anthony Peeler to a one-year contract with a second-year option, The Bee has learned.

Peeler had spent the last six season with the Minnesota Timberwolves before being traded during the offseason along with teammate Joe Smith to the Milwaukee Bucks for Sam Cassell and Ervin Johnson. The Bucks waived Peeler 10 days after the trade.

Peeler, 34, was a first-round draft choice out of Missouri by the Los Angeles Lakers in the 1992 draft. He was traded to the Vancouver Grizzlies in 1996 before being traded to the Timberwolves in 1998.

This past season Peeler played in all 82 games for Minnesota, starting 39 times. He averaged. 7.7 points per game and 3.0 assists.

"We're really excited about adding Anthony to our backcourt," said Geoff Petrie, Kings president of basketball operations.

"He's an excellent long-range shooter who will be a terrific complement to Mike (Bibby), Bobby (Jackson) and Doug (Christie). He also gives us another good ball handler as evidence by his 3-to-1 assists/turnover ratio. We feel Anthony will easily fit into our open style of play."

After enjoying a stellar four-year campaign at Missouri, Peeler was selected by the Los Angeles Lakers in the first round (15th overall) of the 1992 NBA draft. He played four seasons for the Lakers, averaging double figures in points in all but his final year, when it dropped just below 10.0 ppg. His best statistical season with Los Angeles occurred during the 1993-94 campaign when he averaged 14.1 ppg, 3.6 rpg and 3.1 apg. Peeler was traded by the Lakers to the Vancouver Grizzlies before the start of the 1996-97 season (7/16/96). He averaged a career-high 14.5 ppg in his first season with Vancouver. Peeler was traded by the Grizzlies to Minnesota halfway through the 1997-98 campaign (2/18/98). He has amassed career averages of 10.4 ppg (.428 FG%, .378 3FG%, .795 FT%), 2.7 rpg and 2.5 apg.

Peeler has been to the playoffs eight times in his career, twice with the Lakers and six times with the Timberwolves. He averaged a career-high 16.2 ppg in five playoff games with Minnesota during the 1997-98 season.

For more details, see Saturday's Bee.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kings sign Anthony Peeler

ha ha, his face looks like a picture out of nba live or something...
Old 08-15-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the post. Very interesting. Does this mean that JJ will not be back in Sac? JJ wears out teams faster then any other player. I thought he was the perfect fit there. JJ must be going after Chucky Brown's most teams played for record.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i am hoping this points to jj being out of sacramento. man, i would love to see him back in a mavs uni...i could even wear my old school jackson jersey!!
Old 08-15-2003, 03:07 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

JJ is as good as gone in Sacramento...

Logic dictates that the Kings will try to fill their last roster spot with a backup 4-5...
Old 08-15-2003, 03:09 PM   #6
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

We do not like Kings rejects in our team. No to JJ. Lets see if mavs can reciprocate this by signing Sjax.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:21 PM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
We do not like Kings rejects in our team. No to JJ. Lets see if mavs can reciprocate this by signing Sjax.
Give me Jackson. He's gotta be cheaper.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

-edit-
Old 08-15-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

kg...you do realize they are both named jackson....right i am sure you do, so who do you really want?
Old 08-15-2003, 05:26 PM   #10
German7Footer

German7Footer is on a distinguished road

I'm on board with either Jackson. Especially if we're not going to sign any of our own FA's.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:29 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend that is a Spurs fan and he was down on SJax the entire season (until the Finals really). Everytime we would watch the Spurs play he would always say "that guy is gonna be replaced". It sounds like some of you don't agree with this stance. I think if it were a choice between the two, Action (I will call him to avoid confusion) would be the better choice.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:30 PM   #12
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i like jim much better than stephen. sjax just bugs the crap out of me for some reason. and i think jimmy fills our needs of defense and hustle better than sjax.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:25 PM   #13
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Why not sign them both? One can start our 3 spot, and the other can be a back up for Finley. Neither one of them should ask for much, so maybe they could split the MLE?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:15 PM   #14
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Stephon Jackson is to off and on, while JJ is consistent, and JJ is more athletic and defensive minded.

He is what the Mavs need more then Sjax, but under the unlikely event that they share the MLE, I would love them both.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:30 PM   #15
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Word on the news stations around here was that the Kings were looking to replace Jim Jackson and I think this signing confirms that.

With the recent trade for the Mavs, I think it's for sure the Mavs will not pursue either Jim or Stephen Jackson now.

Good signing for the Kings. Although I'm not sure why they didn't stick with Jackson unless he was asking for too much money.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:55 PM   #16
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Why not sign them both? One can start our 3 spot, and the other can be a back up for Finley. Neither one of them should ask for much, so maybe they could split the MLE?
I would love to see this, but I don't see it happening. Wait for Denver or Utah to jump in and offer SJax 4-5 million a year. Oh but if we could sign SJax for 3 mil a year and JJ for 2 mil a year, I wouldn't be that disappointed in this offseason.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote