Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2001, 12:03 AM   #1
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

"Cuban not making any noise, for now
07/02/2001

By Marc Stein / The Dallas Morning News

By summer's end, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban might find himself bankrolling a fistful of contracts worth more than $200 million.

Cuban could approach that mammoth figure just by re-signing his marquee free agent, Michael Finley, and hammering out a long-term extension with Dirk Nowitzki.

No surprise, then, that there was no Cuban protest Sunday when this potentially expensive off-season got off to a fairly muted start. At 12:01 a.m., Cuban said, he was quietly watching TV instead of diving into negotiations at the possible first minute, knowing how much big business awaits.

"It's just going to be nice to have agents sell their players to me rather than me having to sell the Mavs," Cuban said on Day 1 of free-agency season, with actual trades and signings not allowed in the NBA until July 18.

Such is the Mavericks' confidence to attract top talent that coach-general manager Don Nelson returned Sunday to his summer home in Maui. But that's standard procedure. The surprise: Nelson has been joined in Hawaii by son/assistant coach/player-personnel director Donnie Nelson, who has bequeathed the summer-league squad to Sidney Moncrief to take a rare respite.

Thus Cuban will be Dallas' point man for wooing free agents, including several of his own. Shawn Bradley and Calvin Booth are also on deck for free-agent riches to tack on to Finley's expected seven-year pact worth at least $100 million. Between Aug. 1-Oct. 31, Nowitzki is eligible for a six-year extension expected to be $80-90 million.

A forthcoming leaguewide luxury tax will penalize teams with payrolls higher than an estimated $56 million. Only Portland, New York and the Mavericks are openly willing to pay the tax, with many more clubs publicly stating they'll do anything possible to avoid the dollar-for-dollar charge.

"For the right guy, we would pay $4.5 million," Cuban said. "But in this market, if we can use [the exception] to add more than one player and it benefits us more, we would be crazy not to."

Finley report

Henry Thomas, the Chicago-based agent for Michael Finley, said Sunday that he and his client will spend the first week of free agency "info-gathering" before considering visits to other cities.
Official transactions are on hold until July 18 to allow the NBA to complete a leaguewide audit and establish next season's formal salary-cap figures.

Roster talk

TCU's Ryan Carroll, somewhat surprisingly undrafted Wednesday, will join the Mavericks' summer-league squad as a free agent Monday. Donnell Harvey is the only Maverick with a guaranteed contract on the roster, which also features Dallas' second-round selections, Eastern Illinois' Kyle Hill and Cincinnati's Kenny Satterfield.
Lingering leg trouble has shelved forward Eduardo Najera, who, if healthy, was expected to serve as the Mavericks' summer go-to guy. The Mavericks believe that role, manned the past two Julys by Dirk Nowitzki, sped Nowitzki's development.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, meanwhile, confirmed that Houston guard Moochie Norris was the first free agent formally contacted and invited to town by the club."

Source: DMN

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2001, 12:36 AM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, what's up with Najera? Is this still the groin thing or has he done something else we haven't heard about?

Old 07-02-2001, 12:39 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to add on about Moochie Norris...I would love to be able to pick him up but is it possible?

All I keep hearing, mostly from Houston fans--surprise, surprise--is that we can keep dreaming. There is no way he would come here to play behind Nash when he can play behind Francis.

What do you think the chances of him coming here are?
Old 07-02-2001, 12:42 AM   #4
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I agree...that would be a wonderful pick-up. We really need a good back-up for Nash(duh), and I can't think of a better back-up than Mooch.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:57 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

More tidbits

"Cuban makes the rounds
Mavs owner prefers to have last shot at luring free agents

07/03/2001

By Marc Stein / The Dallas Morning News

In the morning, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban lifted weights with Shawn Bradley.

In the evening, Cuban dined with on-the-block point guard Howard Eisley.

In between those discussions with his own personnel Monday, Cuban shared his strategy for the pursuit of free-agent personalities from Chris Webber to Chris Mullin – and the re-signings of Michael Finley, Calvin Booth and Bradley.

"I'd rather be the last one to talk to them," Cuban said, "than the first one."

Cuban, as such, has urged Finley, Bradley and Booth to make the most of their contract freedom and field offers from as many teams as possible. And he's taking largely the same approach with the team's favorite out-of-town free agents: Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Bruce Bowen, Shandon Anderson and Moochie Norris among them.

Norris has already been invited to town for a tour of the new American Airlines Center and a meeting with the Mavericks' staff to, in Cuban's words, "make sure we're all on the same page."

With others, Cuban said, visits might not be necessary – the example being Hardaway, who attended a Mavericks playoff game in May and can get plenty of franchise research from his close Chicago pal Finley.

Webber is the exception there. Although there is roughly zero chance Webber would accept Dallas' $4.5 million salary-cap exception – and a sign-and-trade between Sacramento and a chief conference rival is just as unlikely – Cuban still hopes to bring Webber in.

"I'm going to invite him," Cuban said, "but I don't know if he'll come."

The Mavericks have targeted a wide range of players, not yet knowing who they have the best shot at when signings and trades are permitted starting July 18.

Three of the names Cuban confirmed have long-standing ties to coach-general manager Don Nelson: Hardaway, Richmond and Mullin, who formed Nelson's "Run TMC" trio in Golden State.

"You already know we're interested in the other two," Cuban said of Miami's Hardaway and Richmond, who was waived Monday by Washington. "It doesn't take a genius to figure out that we'd be interested in the third – as a player or a coach."

Briefly ...

TCU's Ryan Carroll is working out with the Mavericks' summer-league team but has opted not to join them in Long Beach, Calif., next week. Carroll plans to play for Orlando or Sacramento first – clubs with less-crowded rosters – before perhaps rejoining Dallas' summer squad later this month in Salt Lake City. ... Second-round pick Kenny Satterfield of Cincinnati missed Monday's morning practice because of travel delays but made it in time for the evening scrimmage against the Chinese national team. ... Forward Donnell Harvey, the only Maverick with a guaranteed contract on the summer roster, is excused from workouts until Thursday. Eastern Illinois' Kyle Hill, taken 10 picks before Satterfield at No. 44 in last Wednesday's draft, was the most recognized name at Monday's session."

DMN

Old 07-03-2001, 05:20 AM   #6
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

So we try to get Moochie Norris, Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullin.

Am I the only one to ask why we only pursue guards and not try to get into three way deals with the majors to get a decent forward/center type?
I mean, come on, we STILL have Nash, Eisley, Finley, Buckner on the Roster, 2 rookie guards picked, so another four guards on our roster really would provide someone depth can´t even describe. And even if we assume Eisley out, the rooks not on our roster and Chris Mullin not to play, it´s still 6 guys on the guards. don´t we have other needs?

timmy and mitch appear even more as a likely fit for the mavs, where both of them may get the honour and recognition they like to get, so if dallas and nellie convince them both, will they still try to get moochie? what moves to expect next?

j
Old 07-03-2001, 09:54 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping the Mullin thing was a joke to be honest. Also, if we were to get Hardaway and Richmond, I'm CERTAIN Buckner's days would be limited around here.
Old 07-03-2001, 11:36 AM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I hope it was too. I'd be ok with Mullin joining the coaching staff though. And I don't really want Richmond either.

Old 07-03-2001, 01:12 PM   #9
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

You know Nellie and small-ball lineups- we spent most of the season with Nash, Eisley, Finley, Buckner, Davis, and Alexander all getting minutes (admittedly few for the latter). That's six guards... And if we pick up say Hardaway, Richmond, and Anderson through free agency, then that leaves Eisley, Trent, and possibly Buckner available for trade to beef up an already overstocked frontcourt. Think Dale Davis acquired through trade....
Old 07-03-2001, 01:30 PM   #10
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Eisley and Buckner combined will make about $6 million next year... Dale Davis will be making $7,333,333. Sign Trent at about $3 million per year. With BYC issues you can only take back 50% of Trent's salary in trade, so we're giving up $7.5 and taking back $7.3. Should work under the CBA rules... does Portland do it? They'll need a new point guard if and when they ship out Stoudamire, and there's not much on the market better than Eisley... they're fond of Trent and Buckner is the kind of hard-working stand-up guy they need. Still probably a sketchy trade on their part... We might need a third team...
Old 07-03-2001, 01:36 PM   #11
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

No way would I trade our best(and young) defender(Buckner) for a Hardaway, Richmond, Mullin, or maybe even a Dale Davis. We need to hold on to Buck IMO.

Old 07-03-2001, 01:40 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'd trade 2 buckners for one dale davis anyday
too bad we only have one buckner
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 01:57 PM   #13
Mavinator
Golden Member

I'm with Murphy on this one, even though I love Buck. One way to look at it is, as soon as Dale Davis comes to Dallas, then HE'S our best one-on-one defender...
Old 07-03-2001, 02:03 PM   #14
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

So basically we're not gaining anything. Except for a little size.

Old 07-03-2001, 02:04 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

we're gaining the ability to have a player on the inside, playing the 4 or 5 position that can rebound consistently and play man to man defense...
yes, bradley can rebound, ..and dirk can rebound, but juwan is a liability too often on the boards and defensively.
Old 07-03-2001, 02:33 PM   #16
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Id have to agree with LAM... I mean Murph here (nice logo change!). I would not want to give up Buck, and would hope we could do something else. But if that trade were offered... we have to do it.

giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 02:34 PM   #17
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

so buckner, eisley, trent out - davis, hardaway and either richmond or anderson in?

hmmmmm.
still like the idea of getting some bo outlaw type more than bringing a disgruntled old man like dale D out of neurotica-town, especially if it means losing one of the most versatile defensive weapons in buck ...

we´ll see ...

j

Old 07-03-2001, 03:18 PM   #18
TheKid
Diamond Member

I would take Dale Davis for Buck or Eisley or Trent or HOWARD for that matter. We get more than just size with him, we get someone who is strong in the post. It would make Bradley more effective at BOTH ends of the floor. He would do so much more for us than Buck or Eisley or Trent. I love Buck too, he's our best defender on the perimeter, but as we found out last year, we can actually handle the perimeter, but the post we couldn't.
Old 07-03-2001, 03:24 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

what did the U.S. pay for manhattan?..
that's about what it'd take for me to pull the trigger on a juwan howard trade
Old 07-03-2001, 03:32 PM   #20
TheKid
Diamond Member

I know you're frustrated with the man, hell I really don't think anyone would shed a tear if he leaves the Mavs (I know I won't), but he isn't that bad.
Old 07-03-2001, 03:36 PM   #21
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I agree with Kid. He's not THAT bad. If you hate him because he can score but can't play defense or rebound, then you should hate the whole Mavs team because none of them do either of those very well.

Old 07-03-2001, 03:47 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

i hate him because he's so overhyped by cuban, nellie, some of the press. he can't rebound and he can't play D.
it would be ok if he just played bad defense and was a poor rebounder.
instead, he may be the worst rebounding and defensive power forward in the NBA.
Old 07-03-2001, 03:50 PM   #23
TheKid
Diamond Member

See that's the thing, Juwan was NEVER a good rebounder though. Even at Michigan, he was a scorer. He was NEVER able to jump and he NEVER played great defense either. That's why I wanted to throw up when he signed for that $100M contract because the MOMENT he signed I said, "he got over on the NBA." The ONLY thing that would have made me laugh harder was if the NBA approved the contract offer of Miami who offered him the contract first. Then MIAMI would be stuck with Juwan and Alonzo's contract, they wouldn't have been able to do anything!
Old 07-03-2001, 03:58 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

i don't care about the contract..i care about the positive hype that he gets from nellie and cuban because they want to cover their ass for making a bad move..so they hype howard up..that's all. he can make as much money as he wants..that doesn't bother me
it does bother me that people hype him up and he's a pathetic rebounder and defensive player...his defense and rebounding are devastating to the mavs at times, and i'm tired of that.
i hate not having a 4 in here that cannot play defense against even the weakest 4's in the eastern conference..and a freaking 4 that can't average 8 boards a game. what the hell is that all about?
Old 07-03-2001, 04:06 PM   #25
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well I think the Mavs plan on sticking it out ONE MORE YEAR with Howard, then see if Harvey can develop and see how Booth plays through an entire year. If those two step up and show they can handle that position, I'd be willing to bet that the Mavs will try to move Juwan after next year.
Old 07-03-2001, 06:14 PM   #26
Mavinator
Golden Member

If Madman Dale comes here, then I think he gets the starting job over Juwan. Dirk/Davis/Bradley is one of the best defensive rebounding frontcourts in the league, if not the best...
Old 07-04-2001, 03:41 AM   #27
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

you guys should shut the hell up about Howard, he is after all the only reason we got past Utah and still is our only scoring threate in the post, sure Dirk dirves SOMETIMES but is usually content to float around the outside. Howard score, rebounds and plays defense not great but he does all three acceptably, sure he is overpaid but its funny tom me you people were willing to look past that when the trigger was pulled on the deal, and now you want his head even though he was forced to fit into an entirely new system with a compatative team, something Juwan isn't used to 4 sure, at least give the guy a little time.
Old 07-04-2001, 08:17 AM   #28
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

i totally agree.
howard isn´t that bad as he´s called all the time. he came to the mavs in Mid-season, he provided a good run, he gave us a SCORING inside presence, and sorry guys, there are worse rebounders all over the league. so what the hell are you talking about?
do we really need another D-rebounder? Dallas isnt that bad there, we need another (do we have one?) O-rebounder! heck, howard isnt playing any defense, blahblah ... so what? we didnt bring in Dennis Rodman to score 30+ a night, nor did we sign Vernon Maxwell for blocking shots. Howard is a big body - a big body who can MOVE (which trent really cant - at least not with his cast). he was cheap, willing to contribute, fitted the chemistry, and he IS willing so suit up. I dont see him as a bad trade at all ... do me a favour and give him at least a FULL season so show what he´s worth (and IF), sounds like that Nash-talk some times ago, or what have been said about a guy signing a VERY good paid expansion in the summer (who dont play D either ...)

j
Old 07-04-2001, 01:07 PM   #29
KillerCrossover

KillerCrossover is on a distinguished road

Only thing I can say is this...The Mavs have a better W/L % after the trade and improved by 10% (regular season). Include the playoffs and the Mavs STILL have a better W/L % then they did before the trade!

I'm not 100% sure about this, so don't blow up on me!
It will be interesting to see Juwan play next season, even after that I hope we can resign him for alot less and have him on the team. By that time Harvey could be a good PF and we could have Howard of the bench.
Old 07-04-2001, 03:33 PM   #30
Mavinator
Golden Member

That's all good analysis- nobody gives Juwan the respect he deserves. He was exactly what the Mavs needed, and he was the best thing available on the market...

When Juwan's contract expires, I want to use the $20 million salary slot to go after McDyess. Murph, you think Dyess feels the same loyalty to Denver that Duncan probably does to San Antonio?
Old 07-04-2001, 04:36 PM   #31
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

killercrossover - the Mavs had an almost impossible schedule late in the season. For them to even approach the success that they had earlier in the year was incredible.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 06:08 PM   #32
Mavinator
Golden Member

The Mavs didn't just approach it- we surpassed it, and by a handy margin, going 20-8 after the trade deadline...
Old 07-04-2001, 06:15 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

actually, the winning percentage jump corresponded more with nash coming back healthy after missing several games. look it up.
howard is an average power forward. a decent scorer, a horrific rebounder, and an even worse defensive player
Old 07-04-2001, 07:53 PM   #34
Mavinator
Golden Member

Unless I've miscalculated, with Steve Nash prior to the Juwan Howard trade, we went 29-16. With Steve Nash after the Juwan Howard trade, we went 20-8. Feel free to correct me if you see any mistakes I've made...
Old 07-04-2001, 11:18 PM   #35
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

More Tidbits

By Richie Whitt
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Not to be confused with the Mavericks' group that advanced to the NBA's Western Conference semifinals, the club's summer roster includes former local players Ryan Carroll (TCU), Sheldon Quarles (Texas) and Willie Davis (SMU) and not-so-familiar college players like Fred House from Southern Utah and Nate Altoff from Utah.

Also joining the squad Tuesday were second-round picks Kyle Hill of Eastern Illinois and Kenny Satterfield of Cincinnati, and former Providence star God Shamgod.

Mavs assistant coaches Charlie Parker and Sidney Moncrief will oversee the team's summer-league squads in Long Beach, Calif., and Salt Lake City starting next week.

"It's everyone's dream to play in the NBA and here I am, a half-step away," said Satterfield, a guard who fell into the second round of the NBA Draft after initial first-round projections. "Dropping like that? I'm still not sure. I just know it gives me more motivation to prove I can play at this level."

Briefly

Mavericks coach Don Nelson and his son, assistant coach Donnie Nelson, are spending some time in Maui, Hawaii, allowing Cuban to be the point man in all free-agent negotiations. "It's nice to have the luxury of players selling themselves to us, instead of vice-versa like last year," said Cuban, who indicated he remains confident in re-signing Mavs free agents Michael Finley, Shawn Bradley and Calvin Booth and adding to his roster using the team's $4.5 million salary-cap exception. The Mavs have formally invited Rockets guard Moochie Norris in for a visit later this month. Teams can begin signing players July 18.

Cuban also said he will invite free-agent gem Chris Webber in for a visit, though the Sacramento Kings All-Star forward is sure to get more lucrative offers.

Carroll said he likely will play on another summer-league team, one with a roster that is not as crowded as the Mavs'.

Bradley watched Tuesday's workout after a morning visit with team physician Tandy Freeman. Bradley underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee two weeks ago.

Celtics forward and Oak Cliff native Tony Battie was a spectator at the Mavs' mini-camp Tuesday."

Source

Old 07-05-2001, 04:51 AM   #36
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

God shamgod is perhaps the tightest name in the history of sports, I just want to hear it announced once at a game
Old 07-05-2001, 07:11 PM   #37
Mavinator
Golden Member

Shammgod is a playground legend in the style of Rafer "Skip-To-Ma-Lou" Alston... He'll burn you off the dribble, then brick a jumpshot, and he'll look cool as hell doing it...

Coming to an And 1 video near you
Old 07-05-2001, 08:19 PM   #38
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Is Rafer Alston really "Skip-To-Ma-Lou"? I've been trying to figure out who that guys real name was in NBA Street. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-05-2001, 08:23 PM   #39
Mavinator
Golden Member

That's him, alright... in one of the And 1 videos, featuring predominantly the aptly named "Hot Sauce", they have a short feature at the end discussing the great Skip-To-Ma-Lou... That man has a real future. It involves lemonade stands on the fringes of LA, and Harold Miner...
Old 07-05-2001, 08:28 PM   #40
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Cool. Do you know "Stretch's" real name?