Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-16-2001, 02:37 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

A guy over at ClutchCity supposedly bumped into Olajuwon at a Whole Foods Market and asked if he was going to stay in Houston next year. His reply: "I'm going to work another year, but it won't be here!"

This may or may not have gone down, but supposing it were true, do any of you think there'd be some way he would play here? It's no secret that he's been wanting around $10 million for the year. And I'm sure he'd be more responsive to a multi-year deal. I'm no cap expert so don't jump on my ass about this. Hakeem's one of my favorite all-time players and I'd love to see him here. There's no question he could help the team. The guy is still capable of averaging a double-double, and can definitely help the younger guys improve their game.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2001, 02:40 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

He's even posted pics of him shopping [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2001, 02:42 PM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Even old ass Hakeem playing 20 minutes a game, has the best low post moves you'll find in the game right now. So I wouldn't be pissed, however I don't think there's a team OTHER THAN THE ROCKETS who would pay him $10 mill a year.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:46 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

Yea but a) they don't seem to want to offer the $10 mil, and b) even if they did, I'm sure it'd be just a one-year deal. I think he'd be a great fit in Dallas, a team that could use him for 20-25mpg and offer him a three-year deal. Hell he could fill Hot Rod's role should he become unable to contribute on the court [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Where else would he go? To play ball with MJ in Washington? Maybe, but I still don't think MJ's coming back justyet. Or to backup Mourning in Miami? That's a likely possibility as well. But Miami's not looking to add to their cap any.
Old 07-16-2001, 03:34 PM   #5
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

What I want to know is what are the real options for us getting Hakeem? It doesn't sound like he'd play for the $4.5 mil exception. On the other hand, he might take $4.5 from a contender over the $5-$6 that Houston might have to offer. If that was the case, he'd probably go to Miami before he came to Dallas so he wouldn't have to go through SA and LA to get to the Finals. (Although I personally think Miami can't get there anyway).

We could give Dream the money he wants if we worked an S&T with Bradley. At this stage in Hakeem's career that might be an almost even trade, but the problem is Booth would have to step up big time or maybe we'd send Eisley to ATL for Nazr and platoon at center. Giving up Bradley at this point in the Mavs' development is kind of a catch-22, considering Hakeem's age. Everyone wants a stud center but I think Bradley had a pretty impressive second half of the season last year and I'd like to see if he can get better. And of course, we can't S&T with Bradley if Houston doesn't want him.

If Houston can't sign Mo Taylor -- would they want Trent? If Hakeem is sufficiently pissed at Houston management, Nellie could give Gary the $5-$6 mil deal he promised him back in the sucky days, throw in a draft pick, a scrub or a throw-in that we might recieve from an Eisley trade, and get a resigned Hakeem in return. In making salaries match, Hakeem could even be signed for 15% more than Trent and the throw-in put together. But would Houston want Trent?

If they're going to lose Hakeem and get nothing, it wouldn't matter who they want, really. Does anyone know who Miami could send to Houston in a trade? What other teams (besides the Wiz) would Dream want to play for?
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:40 PM   #6
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Miami could probably send Mason, although I don't think his salary would fit.
Old 07-16-2001, 03:44 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldn't trade bradley for hakeem..not at this stage of his career when bradley has several years left and hakeem may only have one.

i think you guys are counting your chickens before they hatch with booth..
let him proove that he can be the guy that gets a large amount of minutes before we run bradley out of town...because with bradley gone, booth would have to play an ass-load of minutes in 2002-2003 season, and he hasn't exactly proven he can do that.
and most of the people on this board don't want to see dirk go to the center position..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:48 PM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

What does Mase make? He's an unrestricted FA, so if Houston wanted him, they could do a double S&T with Hakeem and not lose substantial cap space. Since they're both free agents, the salaries on their new contracts could probably be made close enough for the trade to work, with throw-ins. But it would probably make Hakeem overpaid, which might make Miami think twice.
Old 07-16-2001, 07:38 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Rhylan,
Bradley for Hakeem in a sign&trade would be a very bad deal for the Mavs. It won´t happen anyways.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 10:37 PM   #10
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Oh, I agree. I think talent-wise, it would be a near even swap. But Hakeem's extremely lucky if he's got more than a year left. Bradley just came to mind because he plays the same position and will probably get the per year salary that Dream is hoping for.