Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-18-2001, 11:40 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It's fun for everyone when Shaq hits Dallas
07/19/2001

By Marc Stein / The Dallas Morning News

The following revelation will either hearten Dallas basketball lovers ... or torture them.

Shaquille O'Neal, one month removed from his second straight championship with the Los Angeles Lakers, says that he'd be willing to play for only one other team in the NBA.

Yup, you guessed it.

"The Mavericks?" O'Neal said. "Actually, yeah."

Before you start calling him the Big Tease, it bears reminding that O'Neal is that fond of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

Not so big a fan that he plans to ask for a trade – O'Neal stresses that he wants to retire a Laker – but big enough to sincerely volunteer the compliment.

Fond enough to demand Cuban's presence at the Milk Bar on Lower Greenville for a party Shaq threw Monday night.

"As soon as Mark walked in the door, I grabbed somebody and said, 'I love that [expletive]," O'Neal shared. "Excuse my French, but I really do. I like unconventional people. Mark stays within the rules, but then he makes up his own."

O'Neal enjoys the city of Dallas almost as much, listing it as one of his NBA favorites along with Atlanta, Orlando and Washington. He spent much of the week in town promoting his out-in-September rap album, "Shaquille O'Neal Presents his Super Friends, Volume 1" and checking on other investments.

"I'm in the strip-mall business," said O'Neal, who owns commercial property and a new house in Frisco.

O'Neal's schedule Tuesday featured a visit to Slam Magazine's basketball camp at Texas A&M-Commerce, then a Q&A sitdown with The News .

Q: Since the sight of you in a Dallas uniform is obviously just a fantasy, lots of Mavericks fans are hoping that you'll get bored of winning someday. Do you worry about boredom?

A: Of course. It probably will get boring the older I get. But by that time, it'll be time to do something else anyway.

Q: How long do you want to play?

A: I always said my plan was to play 12 or 13 years and be out by the young age of 32. Right now, I couldn't see myself going past 32. Or 34 at the most.

Q: You turn 30 next March, but you've joked around about retiring the day after Phil Jackson retires. Phil might not want to coach more than two more seasons. So does that mean you could be gone even sooner?

A: I'm not joking. If Phil retires on Tuesday, I'm retired on Wednesday.

Q: Why do you like him so much?

A: I've never had a problem with any coach I've had. But Phil is the one who took me to the level I needed to be. I can't play for anyone else. Why go up and then go back down?

Q: What about Kobe Bryant? You said often during the playoffs that the media exaggerated the conflict during the season. Tell us then what that relationship is really like.

A: My father told me: 'When you're working together, you've got to respect each other. When you're not working together, it don't matter what happens or how you feel.' Do we talk every day? No. But I respect him and he respects me.

Q: Don't you want to see Kobe's huge new house, with the lagoon and pirate ship and waterslides?

A: I heard it was nice, but Orange County is a little far away. If he wants to invite the whole team out there, I'll ride out there. He just got married, and I don't want to bug him.

Q: What are your thoughts on Michael Jordan's comeback?

A: All I know is, I'm 29, and I can't do the same things I did when I was 19. So if he's 39, I'm sure he can't do the same things he did when he was 29. That last shot he took in Utah ... that was the perfect way to leave the game. Why would he want to come back and mess that up? I don't know. But he's the greatest player in the world, and I wish him well.

Q: Some people might say you're the greatest player in the world. How much do you value your place in history?

A: I never doubted myself [before the championships], but I doubted how people would look at me. Now I try not to think about that. I just let you guys think about all that stuff. People always ask me if I want more rings than Michael [six]. I've never tried to outdo any individual. I just want to get as many as possible.

Q: Wouldn't it be easier if you made more free throws?

A: I'm a 50-percenter. I miss one, then make one. It doesn't bother me, because I don't live my life on percentages. During pressure situations, I try to make more. When I get [ticked] off, I hit them all the time.

Q: But doesn't Phil keep saying that 50 percent isn't good enough?

A: That's his opinion.

Q: Is there any hope for your buddy Cuban and the rest of the league – or will you and Kobe be tougher to beat next season?

A: Depends. It depends on how the new [zone] rules are. If teams that don't have a dominant big man just pack it in, that's going to force us to shoot better.

Old 07-18-2001, 11:46 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

What a tease..
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 08:16 AM   #3
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh no Shaq, please stop talking. i don't wanna hear the words "Shaq" and "Mavs" in 1 sentence, I hate this guy so much!
The Mavs would be the best team and would be champion, but he still sucks!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:30 AM   #4
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Shaq has class, I´d love to see him play for the Mavs. The way you are trying to push your site mavs.exit, I´m sorry, but that doesn´t have any class at all. Actually it sucks, it´s cheap. Put the site in your signature, that´s enough (I know you didn´t do it here, but in several other threads you linked your whole post to your site. Perhaps you should also consider a new nick). No offense to you though, your site is nice, just my opinion.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 09:33 AM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Mavs exit. I know how you feel, I hate him too, but I can't deny he is the MOST DOMINATING PLAYER I have ever seen play. If he suited up with the Mavs, don't even play the season just give us the TITLE!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2001, 09:54 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i've always liked the guy..he's good with kids, does alot of work in the communities, goes out, has fun with the game...
he always has good quotes, has a personality, what's not to like?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 11:21 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

I feel about Shaq the way I felt about Bird. I hate them because they're so damn good. He plays on a team I don't like. I don't hate him as a person, but the fact he plays for someone I don't like and he's so good he's so unstoppable that I get mad because no one can stop this guy!! That's how I was with Bird too, the guy use to KILL my Knicks. It didn't matter how you defended him, he just kept killing.. That's Shaq!
Old 07-20-2001, 12:19 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i can understand that....you can not like a guy because the tear up your favorite team, but you at least have the decency and knowledge to respect him as a player
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:38 PM   #9
LongHornMav

LongHornMav is on a distinguished road

I'm an underdog man, so yes I hate Shaq, but he's like one of your friends your trying to stay mad at, but they're so damn funny that they still know how to make you laugh even though you don't want to.

However, Having to watch another damn commmercial where I get to see Kobe speak Italian is in NO MANNER FUNNY. Therefore I hate Kobe raised to the 100th power!!!
LongHornMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 12:38 PM   #10
TheKid
Diamond Member

OH I will NEVER Not give Shaq his props. I know people who say he sucks, all he does is dunk but they're crazy. In my opinion he's smart, why shoot a jumpshot if you can dunk the damn ball. So I will never not give a player his props.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:57 PM   #11
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

He has also developed a pretty good passing game. And I give him credit for not relying on his big body only. He actually put in some effort to really learn how to play the game. I like that.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 10:30 PM   #12
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Shaq said some bad stuff about Nelson a while ago and they beat us a lot, so that's why Mavs fans generally don't like him.