Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
....and Melo.

But if Dirk plays till 40 it could be very interesting. He might even stay at No.5 for a very long time. LBJ, Melo and Durant are slowing down already. Maybe they would finish right behind him.
I am fairly sure Dirk will not play beyond this contract. If he does he might do so in Europe for a season or two to help basketball in Germany, but he is not going to be around as a bench player in the NBA.

As for Melo, I doubt it. Melo's a year older and has over 3000 points less than LeBron:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ts_career.html

It would mean Melo has to play about 5-6 more years as 2000 pts per season player to catch Dirk, which he won't be able to do so for much longer because of his knee problems already catching up to him. If he were to slow down it might take him smth like 7 seasons to pass Dirk's total, and I don't know that Melo plays until he's around 38.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity View Post
I am fairly sure Dirk will not play beyond this contract. If he does he might do so in Europe for a season or two to help basketball in Germany, but he is not going to be around as a bench player in the NBA.
Disagree... "Bench player" is a title, and Rick Carlisle doesn't believe in titles - Dirk would be a 20 MPG starter.

And I absolutely think Dirk would be fine with a limited role if he believed this team had a legit shot at another NBA title... It's not like Team Germany is going anywhere with Old Man Dirk at the helm. Maybe he takes a coaching job with them in the future, but his best chance to add anything significant to his legacy as a player is right here in Dallas.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-16-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:23 AM   #3
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Disagree... "Bench player" is a title, and Rick Carlisle doesn't believe in titles - Dirk would be a 20 MPG starter.

And I absolutely think Dirk would be fine with a limited role if he believed this team had a legit shot at another NBA title... It's not like Team Germany is going anywhere with Old Man Dirk at the helm. Maybe he takes a coaching job with them in the future, but his best chance to add anything significant to his legacy as a player is right here in Dallas.
I was actually thinking about him playing club basketball in Germany, not the national team. Bayern Munich, the most famous soccer club of the country, has also been trying to build a successful basketball team in the Euroleague - Europe's most prestigious tournament for clubs. Dirk, who is a bavarian though not from Munich, would be a major scoop for them.

As for the rest, in order for the Mavs to win a title with Dirk playing in such a reduced role the rest of the roster would have to seriously improve. Our FO has shown they can pull of some good trades, but it would really need to outdo itself if this was to occur.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

100% he will not play in Germany. (He said it in an interview a couple of weeks ago)

IMO It's all about 2 more years or 3 more years in MAVS uniform. That's the only question.

I'd love to see 41 play till 41.

Last edited by markus1234; 01-17-2015 at 08:48 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

https://vine.co/v/Oje6AT0be9P

Last edited by sefant77; 01-17-2015 at 10:22 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Wow, when was that and why? That didn't look like a joke.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
Wow, when was that and why? That didn't look like a joke.
Looked like a joke to me. Parsons is just acting like a little bitch
Old 01-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/v...d=385618499951
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

it would be nice of someone to reduce the size of fluids pic.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, was completely a joke... heard skin talking about it.. everyone thought it was rather hilarious.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Parsons jokes about it in the full video.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Completely a joke. We don't know what kind of sense of humour parsons has in private. But to be honest I wouldn't have liked it very much either. I would have known it was a joke but it's kind of a **** thing to do.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-21-2015, 06:01 AM   #13
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Dirk's wife is pregnant again? Congratulations!

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/how-...-shot-his-game

"What is most notable, though, is the moves Dieng is attempting. Two moves that have worked for Dieng well this season have been the bread-and-butter of two future Hall of Famers for the last 15 years.

Dieng has introduced the kick and step-back that Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki has been so good at during his career. Wolves radio play-by-play man Alan Horton will call it out whenever Dieng pulls out the move. More times than not, it's effective.

He had plenty of practice during the World Cup this summer.

That shot is not random, though.
“I got a chance to work out with Dirk in Germany (this offseason),” Dieng said. “Him and his personal coach.” "

Last edited by dude1394; 01-22-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

jeez - how did this fall to page 3?

There is a fine line in posting copyrighted content but ---
(I would like to hear from actual authors on this in a seperate thread ex. our own BG)
--- does anyone have an ESPN "Insider" account - I am almost tempted to buy one because of this tease....

Tom Haberstroh of espn
Dirk compares Steve Nash and Jason Kidd as passers, which is fun because
a) Dirk and;
b) Dirk talking hoops.

The subject of our most recent Insider Quiz (IQ) was a fairly obscure player, Oklahoma City power forward Nick Collison. This time around, we went big. Like, 7-foot future Hall of Fame big.

After a recent win, I caught up with Dallas Mavericks big man Dirk Nowitzki. He was tired, still sweating after his postgame shower and had an overnight flight to catch. But he was sharp as a tack.

Nowitzki is the latest to get the IQ treatment where I quiz NBA players on their own stats. If you're just catching up, here is the one with Collison on his block victims; Andre Miller on his assist recipients; Chris Paul on his alley-oop targets; Roy Hibbert on his block victims; and, on TrueHoopTV, Shane Battier on his block victims.

Here was my question for Dirk: Who has assisted you the most in your NBA career?

Here's how the big fella did. (Hint: his brain is German-engineered.)

Tom Haberstroh: Dirk, I don't want to keep you too long, but I have a quiz for you. Ready to play a game real quick?

Dirk Nowitzki [stops packing his bags]: Yeah, let's do it.

TH: You've been assisted by 114 players in your career...

DN: 140?

TH: 114, actually.

DN: Oh, OK.

TH: Nine guys have assisted you at least 150 times. Can you name those nine guys? Let's start from the top.

DN: Nash.

TH: Yep. Nash is No.1!

To read more of Tom Haberstroh's Insider Quiz with Dirk Nowitzki, become an Insider today. http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ndly-teammates

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 02-09-2015 at 02:53 PM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #16
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Just came here from espn because of this article.

I am guessing

Nash
Terry
Kidd
JJ
Finley
Devin
Lestat_1795 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #17
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat_1795 View Post

I am guessing

Nash
Terry
Kidd
JJ
Finley
Devin
I'm guessing maybe Monta is in there too - he's had over 700 assists in a Mavs uniform, I wouldn't be surprised if 150 of them went to Dirk.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I am guessing

Nash
Terry
Kidd
JJ
Finley
Devin
I'd guess those 6, monta, Josh Howard and maybe Jerry stackhouse? Last 2 guesses would be nick van exel(but I don't think this likely)?

Last edited by Five-ofan; 02-09-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #19
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold
Default Official Dirk is Great Thread

Yeah of course monta .
2 more missing.

Last edited by Lestat_1795; 02-09-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #20
Lestat_1795

Jho is possible.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #21
Lestat_1795

Default Official Dirk is Great Thread

Nick F'em van exel wasn't here long enough.

Last edited by Lestat_1795; 02-09-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #22
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nick F'em van exel wasn't here long enough.
Stackhouse was though. And I'd bet the farm that jho is one of them. Jho played with dirk at his absolute best for a long time and they were always on the court together.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

I am posting this without reading it. I am trusting the journalist for some reason. Hat tip dm.com's kirkseriousface.

http://theclassical.org/articles/dirk-kobe-and-the-end

Last edited by dude1394; 02-09-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #24
ReplayCenterInSecaucus

ReplayCenterInSecaucus is a jewel in the roughReplayCenterInSecaucus is a jewel in the roughReplayCenterInSecaucus is a jewel in the roughReplayCenterInSecaucus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Great article. Single tear.

Also, someone copy and paste that Insider article!!
ReplayCenterInSecaucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #25
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I am posting this without reading it. I am trusting the journalist for some reason. Hat tip dm.com's kirkseriousface.

http://theclassical.org/articles/dirk-kobe-and-the-end
excellent article - thanks for posting the link - I would have missed out on a great story.
captured my recent feelings of Dirk and the sunset of his career.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #26
Lestat_1795

Matrix is possible as well
Old 02-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #27
Lestat_1795

Now
I am guessing

Nash
Terry
Kidd
JJ
Finley
Devin
JHo
Monta
Matrix
Old 02-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #28
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thukydides View Post
full espn-insider article:

Dishing to Dirk Nowitzki Tom Haberstroh | February 9, 2015
Glenn James/NBAE/Getty Images Steve Nash handed out 797 assists to Dirk Nowitzki when the pair played together in Dallas. The subject of our most recent Insider Quiz (IQ) was a fairly obscure player, Oklahoma City power forward Nick Collison. This time around, we went big. Like, 7-foot future Hall of Fame big.
After a recent win, I caught up with Dallas Mavericks big man Dirk Nowitzki. He was tired, still sweating after his postgame shower and had an overnight flight to catch. But he was sharp as a tack.
Nowitzki is the latest to get the IQ treatment where I quiz NBA players on their own stats. If you're just catching up, here is the one with Collison on his block victims; Andre Miller on his assist recipients; Chris Paul on his alley-oop targets; Roy Hibbert on his block victims; and, on TrueHoopTV, Shane Battier on his block victims.
Here was my question for Dirk: Who has assisted you the most in your NBA career?
Tom Haberstroh: Dirk, I don't want to keep you too long, but I have a quiz for you. Ready to play a game real quick?
TH: Nine guys have assisted you at least 150 times. Can you name those nine guys? Let's start from the top.
DN: Kidd.
TH: Yup. Nash has 797, Jason Kidd has 753. Nash by a hair. So what's the difference between getting a feed from Nash compared to Kidd? How are they different?
DN: Well, I think passing-wise, they're pretty similar. They'll go down as two of the greatest passing guards in history. I mean, what makes them great is that they're happier to get the assist when the other guy scores than when they actually score themselves. They're that unselfish.
TH: You don't see that often.
DN: I mean, Kidd's obviously a little bigger and a better rebounder. But passing-wise, they both have great eyes. I almost felt like both of them -- you know, sometimes with guards, you're open and then they throw you the ball and it might be a little too late. But those guys, they see the whole play develop and the pass is there once you're open for a split second. They just have a great eye, a great feel for the game.
TH: Do you have a favorite pass from Nash or a particular play where he'd get you the ball?
DN: The pick-and-pop. That worked for us a long time. No particular play comes to mind, but that's why he was incredible. Sometimes he'd get stuck in the air and make something out of nothing. Maybe a little behind-the-back or ... I remember numerous times he was getting into the lane, he figured he has nothing going in there and somehow he gets the ball out to a shooter. It was incredible.
TH: He's ridiculous. So, you got the top two right.
DN: OK, well JET is definitely up there.
TH: Jason Terry, yup! He gave you 744.
DN: He's No. 3.
TH: Yup, so you've gotten them in order so far. One, two and three.
DN: Yeah. Now it's getting hard, bro.
A Mavericks PR staffer pops in by Nowitzki's locker and reminds him of an interview.
PR: Dirk, you gonna do some German?
DN: Yeah. Hold on.
PR: OK.
DN: Let's see. Devin Harris up there?
TH: Yup! He's No. 5.
DN: OK ... not bad. Let's see who else I've played with ... Oh, man. This is hard! ... Hmm ... Oh, Nick Van Exel, maybe?
TH: Nah. Close! He's right below the cut. He has 101, but not quite 150. You've got three teammates right now on this list, but you've only guessed one.
DN: Really? OK, well. It's got to be Monta [Ellis], obviously.
TH: 167.
DN: So that's how many, five?
TH: Yeah. Four more to go. One's an assistant coach, or I guess, a Mavs staffer.
DN: Oh, not Darrell Armstrong!
TH: No, no, no.
DN: Who else do we have on the staff?
TH: You played with him for a ton of years. At the 2.
DN: He's gonna kill me if I don't get it. Besides DA, who did I play with?
TH: Well, ...
DN: Oh, Fin!
TH: Michael Finley! Yes!
DN: Aww, Fin. He's up there for sure.
TH: He's No. 4 on the list. You have another current teammate, almost more than Devin Harris.
DN: Not Rondo. He just got here. Oh, J.J. Barea?
TH: Bingo, Barea. You've got two more to go! Both of them not in the league anymore.
DN: That's hard.
TH: Not point guards. Think wings. One has 197 assists to you, the other 159.
DN [Long silence as he shakes his head]: That's tough. I got seven out of nine though, bro!
TH: OK, one is Jerry Stackhouse.
DN: Oh, Stack!? I wouldn't have guessed that. Wouldn't have guessed that.
TH: And Josh Howard.
DN: Ah, yeah. Josh. Seven out of nine!
TH: Nicely done. And just so you know, Shawn Bradley got you 55 times.
DN: Oh, wow. That's good stuff.
Nowitzki grabs his stuff and sprints out of the locker room, presumably to catch his German interview.
Tom Haberstroh
So, if I'm reading this correctly:

1) Nash
2) Kidd
3) Terry
4) Finley
5) Harris
6) Barea
7) Stackhouse
8) Ellis
9) Howard

Quote:
Now
I am guessing

Nash
Terry
Kidd
JJ
Finley
Devin
JHo
Monta
Matrix
Other than putting Matrix over Stack, you pretty much got the players right (if not the order).

Old 02-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

Trix is a good guess, he played with dirk more than stack did. That being said looked up their stats, trix had 636 assists as a mav, stack had 631. Very close numbers
Old 02-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #30
Lestat_1795

So I guess we got the top 10 covered
Old 02-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #31
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
So I guess we got the top 10 covered
I'm not as certain that monta isn't the odd man out. A ton of his assists are oops and dump offs
Old 02-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #32
dude1394
Guru

I would be very interested in dirk talking about the differences between nash, jkiddo wrt passing.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #33
Thukydides

Thukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to allThukydides is a name known to all

full espn-insider article:

Dishing to Dirk Nowitzki Tom Haberstroh | February 9, 2015
Glenn James/NBAE/Getty Images Steve Nash handed out 797 assists to Dirk Nowitzki when the pair played together in Dallas. The subject of our most recent Insider Quiz (IQ) was a fairly obscure player, Oklahoma City power forward Nick Collison. This time around, we went big. Like, 7-foot future Hall of Fame big.
DN: Kidd.
TH: Yup. Nash has 797, Jason Kidd has 753. Nash by a hair. So what's the difference between getting a feed from Nash compared to Kidd? How are they different?
DN: Well, I think passing-wise, they're pretty similar. They'll go down as two of the greatest passing guards in history. I mean, what makes them great is that they're happier to get the assist when the other guy scores than when they actually score themselves. They're that unselfish.
TH: You don't see that often.
DN: I mean, Kidd's obviously a little bigger and a better rebounder. But passing-wise, they both have great eyes. I almost felt like both of them -- you know, sometimes with guards, you're open and then they throw you the ball and it might be a little too late. But those guys, they see the whole play develop and the pass is there once you're open for a split second. They just have a great eye, a great feel for the game.
TH: Do you have a favorite pass from Nash or a particular play where he'd get you the ball?
DN: The pick-and-pop. That worked for us a long time. No particular play comes to mind, but that's why he was incredible. Sometimes he'd get stuck in the air and make something out of nothing. Maybe a little behind-the-back or ... I remember numerous times he was getting into the lane, he figured he has nothing going in there and somehow he gets the ball out to a shooter. It was incredible.
TH: He's ridiculous. So, you got the top two right.
DN: OK, well JET is definitely up there.
TH: Jason Terry, yup! He gave you 744.
DN: He's No. 3.
TH: Yup, so you've gotten them in order so far. One, two and three.
DN: Yeah. Now it's getting hard, bro.
A Mavericks PR staffer pops in by Nowitzki's locker and reminds him of an interview.
PR: Dirk, you gonna do some German?
DN: Yeah. Hold on.
PR: OK.
DN: Let's see. Devin Harris up there?
TH: Yup! He's No. 5.
DN: OK ... not bad. Let's see who else I've played with ... Oh, man. This is hard! ... Hmm ... Oh, Nick Van Exel, maybe?
TH: Nah. Close! He's right below the cut. He has 101, but not quite 150. You've got three teammates right now on this list, but you've only guessed one.
DN: Really? OK, well. It's got to be Monta [Ellis], obviously.
TH: 167.
DN: So that's how many, five?
TH: Yeah. Four more to go. One's an assistant coach, or I guess, a Mavs staffer.
DN: Who else do we have on the staff?
TH: You played with him for a ton of years. At the 2.
DN: He's gonna kill me if I don't get it. Besides DA, who did I play with?
TH: Well, ...
DN: Oh, Fin!
TH: Michael Finley! Yes!
DN: Aww, Fin. He's up there for sure.
TH: He's No. 4 on the list. You have another current teammate, almost more than Devin Harris.
DN: Not Rondo. He just got here. Oh, J.J. Barea?
TH: Bingo, Barea. You've got two more to go! Both of them not in the league anymore.
DN: That's hard.
TH: Not point guards. Think wings. One has 197 assists to you, the other 159.
DN [Long silence as he shakes his head]: That's tough. I got seven out of nine though, bro!
TH: OK, one is Jerry Stackhouse.
DN: Oh, Stack!? I wouldn't have guessed that. Wouldn't have guessed that.
TH: And Josh Howard.
DN: Ah, yeah. Josh. Seven out of nine!
TH: Nicely done. And just so you know, Shawn Bradley got you 55 times.
DN: Oh, wow. That's good stuff.
Nowitzki grabs his stuff and sprints out of the locker room, presumably to catch his German interview.
Tom Haberstroh
Thukydides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #34
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thukydides View Post
*sniff* SS sad...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #35
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Thank you very much for the full article
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:19 AM   #36
Lestat_1795

Yeah pretty close
Old 02-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #37
ActionJackson

ActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the roughActionJackson is a jewel in the rough

Really nice words from Karl Malone in his radio interview. The Dallas Morning News website had a story about it.

As a youngster I really liked The Mailman. Great how he respects Dirk.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #38
Five-ofan
Guru

Very happy to have guessed stack and jho
Old 02-15-2015, 07:51 AM   #39
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

Sefko: Like Jagger, timeless All-Star Dirk Nowitzki is back to rock NBA's biggest stage
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...gest-stage.ece

Chandler Parsons says Dirk Nowitzki dresses like an old man. Funny, but most adults would call it dressing like a grown-up.

The stylishly challenged Nowitzki of yesteryear is long gone. In fact, before he left for his 13th All-Star Weekend, he gave a pretty good breakdown of the difference between him and Parsons when it comes to sartorial splendor.

“We think he dresses like Justin Bieber,” Nowitzki said of Parsons, who participated in the first NBA fashion contest/show Saturday in New York as part of the All-Star festivities. “So if you’re into that kind of stuff, then you can vote for him. If you like some grown-man stuff, some slacks and button-downs, then I got him beat.”

In short, if Parsons is the new, flash-on-the-scene Bieber clone, then Nowitzki is the NBA’s Mick Jagger. Wild in his youth, settled down and more mature now — and still outrageously good at what he does best.

By the way, will they say the same about Bieber in 30 or 40 years?

But we digress.

Nowitzki is back where he belongs, even if he doesn’t particularly want to be at Madison Square Garden on Sunday. He had plans to be on a beach with his wife and young daughter for a few days of priceless family time.

And without Holger Geschwindner, his personal mentor who has been in town for the last week or so for one of his in-season visits to help fine-tune Nowitzki’s game.

That all changed when he was named the replacement All-Star for New Orleans’ big man Anthony Davis, who was injured in the days leading up to the break.

Nowitzki, truth be known, was heartbroken not to get some legitimate downtime during the break. But he also is proud. He knows it’s an honor to be an All-Star. And he knows he may not have many more opportunities to be one.

He also freely admits that Tyson Chandler and Monta Ellis were more deserving All-Stars on this year’s team than he was.

Sometimes, you get the lifetime achievement award.

Hey, they give those away at the Grammy Awards, right?

Until Nowitzki was an 11th-hour replacement for Davis, the Mavericks had no All-Stars this season despite a 36-19 record, fifth best in the Western Conference and seventh in the NBA.

“We’re a deep team, so people think we’re just a team that wins games with no one player that stands out,” J.J. Barea said. “It’s a team game, especially for us. Even if Monta has a bad night, we should still be able to win games. Even if Dirk has a bad night, we should still be able to win games. Even if Dirk and Monta have a bad night, we should be able to win. We’re pretty solid.”

After a brief pause, Barea added: “But Monta deserved it.”

One of the most interesting aspects of Nowitzki’s career is that he has gained more and more respect later in his career for the way he approaches his craft.

As old teammates shuffle on and new ones arrive, a different batch of players see up-close just how hard the 7-foot Nowitzki works.

“Just being around Dirk and seeing the way he approaches his job, it’s amazing,” Parsons said. “You think of all the shots he’s taken in his career, he’s taken probably a million more in his practice sessions. There’s a reason why he’s so far up the scoring list.”

Earlier this season, he passed Hakeem Olajuwon, Elvin Hayes and Moses Malone to rise to seventh on the NBA’s all-time scoring list. Someday, that will all sink in to Nowitzki.

For now, he’s more concerned about revving up one or two more serious runs at a second NBA championship.

“We’re going to let it all rip after the break,” Nowitzki said. “I like where we’re at, and we want to get one of those top spots in the West going into the playoffs.”

Those four home-court berths in the first round are becoming more and more of a talking point. The West is so competitive that all eight teams that make the playoffs are going to be really good.

At least one veteran observer thinks that makes the home court all the more important, even in a season when road teams are winning at a remarkable rate.

“The only thing that matters in the Western Conference is the top four seeds, because I don’t think any team in the West can win four straight series on the road,” TNT analyst Charles Barkley said. “Every team who makes the playoffs is going to be good. You can’t beat four good teams on the road.”

Nowitzki understands how difficult that would be, which is why he’s going all-in for the second half of the season. Those nights off he took in the first 55 games? Probably not going to happen much anymore, if at all.

From here on, the Mick Jagger of the NBA is ready to rock ’n’ roll.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #40
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Sefko: Like Jagger, timeless All-Star Dirk Nowitzki is back to rock NBA's biggest stage
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...gest-stage.ece

Those four home-court berths in the first round are becoming more and more of a talking point. The West is so competitive that all eight teams that make the playoffs are going to be really good.

At least one veteran observer thinks that makes the home court all the more important, even in a season when road teams are winning at a remarkable rate.

“The only thing that matters in the Western Conference is the top four seeds, because I don’t think any team in the West can win four straight series on the road,” TNT analyst Charles Barkley said. “Every team who makes the playoffs is going to be good. You can’t beat four good teams on the road.”

Nowitzki understands how difficult that would be, which is why he’s going all-in for the second half of the season. Those nights off he took in the first 55 games? Probably not going to happen much anymore, if at all.

From here on, the Mick Jagger of the NBA is ready to rock ’n’ roll.
I like the Mavs' chances in the playoffs more at a 7 or 8 seed on the road with a healthy, rested Dirk and Tyson than as a 4 seed with them tired and aching.
I hope they do take a few games off through the remainder of the season.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 12-15 for 48 points, 3/25m - wow!, clutch nowitzki, clutchwitzki, dir30k, dirk, dirk = clutch...again, dirk goes to 11, dirk is my religion, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk tea baggzz nba!!!!!, gay for dirk!!!, his clutchness, his hairness ?, playoff clutch, santa dirk, sir ghost face drillah, top-10 all time scorer, top-6 all time scorer