Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-05-2002, 08:16 PM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Found this at realgm and thought it was worth sharing.

Analysis of Dirk

Can yall find any others?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2002, 08:38 PM   #2
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Gotta love this line:

At best, he's the next: Keith Van Horn
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 08:39 PM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I like:

<< Fellow German Detlef Schrempf was called the best import since the Volkswagen; Nowitzki's coach says, &quot;Here comes the Porsche.&quot; >>

Old 06-05-2002, 09:58 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Porsche line is awesome.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:14 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

But what about this nugget below:

Raef LaFrentz 6'11&quot; 240 Kansas
The Skinny: Maybe the most NBA-ready offensive game of any prospect; can operate in the low post with lethal turnaround jumper or step outside and drill 20-footer. Great size, but needs to add strength. Hard worker.

Why can I not find any evidence, both here and at denver that Raef has any inside game. I just don't get it, has he been pushed to an outside shooter since he came into the league? Or does he just not have any low-post skills?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:15 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

It seems to me like he had a decent fade away jumper down low but he has abandoned it for some reason. I know he had that shot in college.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:26 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

he had more of a low post game in denver than in dallas.. i'm sure we all know the reason why his low post game disappeared while here
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 08:56 AM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

That article is a great find, Hoops.

Murph - Nelson wouldn't shy away from putting a player on the low block, would he? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Seriously, I don't see LaFrentz as having much of a low-post game at all. He doesn't even try to post up during games. Maybe this &quot;lethal turnaround jumper&quot; will be revealed next year...

Old 06-06-2002, 09:29 AM   #9
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Why can I not find any evidence, both here and at denver that Raef has any inside game. I just don't get it, has he been pushed to an outside shooter since he came into the league? Or does he just not have any low-post skills?

I agree dude, however coming out of college he had an inside game so that's where that came from but you're right I haven't seen him in the post in Denver and certainly not here. Atleast not on a consistent enough basis that I would say he had a low post game.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:41 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

he posted up some at denver.. obviously, it wasn't his strongpoint.. i would like to know why he doesn't post up at all here and what happened to his post up game since college
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 09:55 AM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I've posted on numerouse sites and in denver, but I just can't find anyone who can speak with authority.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 06-06-2002, 10:12 AM   #12
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< That article is a great find, Hoops.... >>

That was Bayliss, who really should change his icon :-)

I recall reading an interview not long after the trade where Lafrentz commented that he hadn't been a 3-pt shooter when he came into the league. He started learning to hit them because 'they' (which must mean Issel in Denver) were wanting him to.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:22 AM   #13
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

&quot;...coming out of college he had an inside game ...&quot;

LaF wouldn't be the first to find out that a college boy's inside game doesn't work in the man's NBA.

He doesn't look strong enough (or quick enough...or jump well enough) to be much of a threat down low. You gotta have one of those.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 10:29 AM   #14
Drbio
Banned

True Mavkiki...but he was an inside force in college.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:34 AM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

That's what I was referring to that yes he had an inside game in college, but since then, he's had NOTHING or atleast nothing that I've seen that would warrant the fact that he has an inside game.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:38 AM   #16
dude1394
Guru

<< That's what I was referring to that yes he had an inside game in college, but since then, he's had NOTHING or atleast nothing that I've seen that would warrant the fact that he has an inside game. >>

I'm curious about your experience with this one? I've only seen Raef in a mavericks uniform and I've never seen them throw it anywhere near him in the blocks. He does seem pretty mobile and atheletic so I don't on the surface see an issue. He seems relatively heavy enough at 6'11&quot; 240-250...
Old 06-06-2002, 10:40 AM   #17
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< That was Bayliss, who really should change his icon :-) >>

Sorry about that, you guys posted one right after the other, and the bulldog icon confused me...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2002, 11:05 AM   #18
Bayliss

I went ahead and change it Hoops. I know you were tired of saying, &quot;it wasn't me that posted that well thought out, well reasoned, logical, coherent, post... that post was from Bayliss.&quot;

Old 06-06-2002, 11:40 AM   #19
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< I went ahead and change it Hoops. I know you were tired of saying, &quot;it wasn't me that posted that well thought out, well reasoned, logical, coherent, post... that post was from Bayliss.&quot; >>

I just didn't like taking credit for your work Bayliss--or is it the blame ;-)
Old 06-06-2002, 11:54 AM   #20
TheKid
Diamond Member

I'm curious about your experience with this one? I've only seen Raef in a mavericks uniform and I've never seen them throw it anywhere near him in the blocks. He does seem pretty mobile and atheletic so I don't on the surface see an issue. He seems relatively heavy enough at 6'11&quot; 240-250

I wasn't talking about his appearance, I was talking about actually watching him play. I don't remember him ever going down low and doing anything that would make me believe he has a low post game, not since college that is. I didn't see him play much in Denver, but what I did see of him, he was basically hitting shots from about 20 feet away from the basket.

With his size, that's my point, he should be an EXCELLENT low post player.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:20 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

<< I'm curious about your experience with this one? I've only seen Raef in a mavericks uniform and I've never seen them throw it anywhere near him in the blocks. He does seem pretty mobile and atheletic so I don't on the surface see an issue. He seems relatively heavy enough at 6'11&quot; 240-250

I wasn't talking about his appearance, I was talking about actually watching him play. I don't remember him ever going down low and doing anything that would make me believe he has a low post game, not since college that is. I didn't see him play much in Denver, but what I did see of him, he was basically hitting shots from about 20 feet away from the basket.

With his size, that's my point, he should be an EXCELLENT low post player.
>>

How many times do you think you saw him at denver? So did he just drift around 10-20 feet form the basket, go in for a put-back?? We need to get raef on this forum and ask him what's the deal. ;^)
Old 06-06-2002, 11:16 PM   #22
Bayliss

<< Andrae Patterson 6'8&quot; 240 Indiana Glenn Robinson
The Skinny: Should be ready for anything after surviving four years under Bobby Knight. Needs more tenacity in the paint. Smooth offensively and has a good head on his shoulders.
>>

This kid is one that feel sorry for concerning the 98 Draft. Coming out of high school he was rated the number 1 power forward prospect. And that includes Danny Fortson, Antoine Walker, LaFrentz, etc. My brother played against him a couple of times. He should've never went to Indiana. Instead he should've gone to Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc. Knee injuries robbed him of a good college career (still remember the 39 point game he put up in the pre NIT game against Duke). And while he was drafted by Minnesota injuries still hampered him and dropped out of the league. Not sure where he is now. My guess is D League or Europe.