Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default Dallas/New York/Atlanta

Atlanta is interested in moving Walker (they just want a 1st rounder and expiring contracts) and New York wants Walker. I wondered if there was a way for the Mavs to facilitate this trade. We gain an upgrade at backup PF and backup center and have a big expiring contract for 2007. Atlanta gains a first from New York (might be juicy) and New York gains Walker.

Might be a good one for all involved.

Atlanta trades: PF Antoine Walker (20.2 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 3.6 apg in 40.1 minutes)
Atlanta receives: PF Alan Henderson (3.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 0.3 apg in 15.5 minutes)
Tariq Abdul-Wahad (No games yet played in 2004/05)
PG Darrell Armstrong (5.5 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 3.2 apg in 18.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -11.2 ppg, -2.9 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

Dallas trades: PF Alan Henderson (3.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 0.3 apg in 15.5 minutes)
C Calvin Booth (2.3 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.1 apg in 7.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Tim Thomas (10.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.3 apg in 26.4 minutes)
C Kurt Thomas (11.6 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +10.6 ppg, +5.3 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

New York trades: SF Tim Thomas (10.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.3 apg in 26.4 minutes)
C Kurt Thomas (11.6 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.8 minutes)
New York receives: PF Antoine Walker (20.2 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 3.6 apg in 40.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +0.6 ppg, -2.4 rpg, and +0.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dallas/New York/Atlanta

I'm pretty sure Atlanta can't take Henderson back this year.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Default RE:Dallas/New York/Atlanta

Nice trade Max, you also address the need for the lack of depth at the 3 with TT. Quis, Stack, and Fin are best suited at the 2spot.

Can Hendu go back to Atlanta?

Without Howard Mavs suffer.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

no thanks leave the team as is

Kurt Thomas' career doesn't need to be ruined by coming here..because he'll rot away like Booth

The mavs have enough trouble finding minutes for the swingmen..we don't need Thomas to start looking for 10 shots
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I'm pretty sure Atlanta can't take Henderson back this year.
Ugh. I forgot about that. But Hendo's play right now pretty much guarantees that some other team would give up an expiring contract that would balance the trade out.

Some contending team in the East preferably. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
Max Power
Banned

Atlanta trades: PF Antoine Walker (20.2 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 3.6 apg in 40.1 minutes)
Atlanta receives: PF Tom Gugliotta (1.5 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 10.8 minutes)
Michael Stewart (No games yet played in 2004/05)
Change in team outlook: -13.2 ppg, -5.1 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

Boston trades: PF Tom Gugliotta (1.5 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 10.8 minutes)
Michael Stewart (No games yet played in 2004/05)
Boston receives: PF Alan Henderson (3.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 0.3 apg in 15.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +2.0 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

Dallas trades: C Calvin Booth (2.3 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.1 apg in 7.7 minutes)
PF Alan Henderson (3.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 0.3 apg in 15.5 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Kurt Thomas (11.6 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.8 minutes)
SF Tim Thomas (10.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.3 apg in 26.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +10.6 ppg, +5.3 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

New York trades: C Kurt Thomas (11.6 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.8 minutes)
SF Tim Thomas (10.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.3 apg in 26.4 minutes)
New York receives: PF Antoine Walker (20.2 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 3.6 apg in 40.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +0.6 ppg, -2.4 rpg, and +0.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Boston, Dallas, and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Boston, Dallas, and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dallas/New York/Atlanta

^I don't see how you could NOT do this trade. I can't stand Tim Thomas, but I'd still do it.

Kurt Thomas gives you a legitimate third big man that you could put into rotation with Dirk and Dampier. Dirk gets 38 mpg; Dampier gets 30-34 mpg; Thomas gets 24-28 mpg. Thomas is capable of playing the extra minutes if Damp gets into foul trouble, and he's still a pretty good low post defender. Also, he has more offensive ability than Henderson.

Tim Thomas is highly overrated, and I probably wouldn't give him many minutes in the regular rotation, but he also upgrades the swing spot to where we could be even more equipped to sustain injuries like we've had this year.

On top of that, this is a typical Mavs trade. Clear off the end of the bench, dump a couple of bad contracts, and still come away with quality players.

From the standpoint of the other teams, I don't know particularly why Boston would choose to become involved, but then again the deal doesn't hurt them, either. The Knicks would have to be pretty sold on Walker to give up a first rounder plus Kurt Thomas for him, but unloading Tim Thomas might make it attract enough for them to do it.

Good work, Max.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:26 PM   #8
Max Power
Banned

Boston would gain a solid vet to make a playoff push - the players they would contribute to the trade add nothing of value to the club right now. There isn't an overriding reason for them to DO the trade but no reason for them NOT to do it. Maybe the Mavs might kick them a 2nd rounder - I'd be willing to do that to upgrade to KT.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

1) I would not like taking on Tim Thomas to get Kurt Thomas. At his best, TThom is still a highly erratic, very inconsistent, injury-prone and/or malingerering malcontent. He is a big contributor to the NYKs' dysfunction. I definitely think Mavs are better off getting minutes at 3 from Fin, Stack, or Daniels.

2) While KThom would be an upgrade over Henderson as a backup 4/5, I'm not sure he would be enough of an upgrade to take on the additonal four years of his contract, plus the additonal year of TThom's along with TThom's baggage. Plus, in years past, Kurt Thomas has not been a model of consistent, intelligent play. He's been pretty quiet this year in terms of stupid plays or causing team disruption, but I have to wonder if he isn't just hopeless and numb from what he sees with the NYKs. He's putting up pretty good numbers this year (on a loathesomely bad team), but I'm not sure how productive (or happy) he'd be getting spot-patch minutes behind Dirk and Damp. And I do not want to tempt Nellie into putting Dirk back at the 3 for any significant stretches.

3) I remember watching Henderson play in the pre-season at MSG and wondering if he'd make it to the end of training camp. He looked like he could barely run or jump, and I didn't see what he could possibly contribute. I was wrong. I think Nellie (for reasons known only to him) plays Henderson more than is warranted somtimes, but he is definitely giving them effective minutes as a utility frontcourt player this year. And his expiring contract looks nice. I still think Booth should be getting a few more minutes, just to keep him sharp and motivated, and hopefully ready in case the Mavs have to call on him for more extensive stretches in the playoffs. I know Armstrong's minutes are generating a little controversy on the board too, and I hate to see him slow Harris's development. But I think that Henderson, Booth and Armstrong are very good, very effective role players in the current mix--contributing just enough without demanding enough to be a distraction, offering good insurance for late April and May, and favorable contracts beyond.

The idea of getting KThomas isn't a bad one, but this trade doesn't look like it brings enough to pull the trigger.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote