Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #1281
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

OK...found this on ESPN

Quote:
Q. What if I, as a team manager, choose not to keep the maximum number of players allowed in my keeper league?
A. If an owner chooses not to keep the maximum number of players allowed, they will draft a new player from the available pool once all keepers have been retained. For example, assuming a four team league with a maximum of three keepers, where two owners choose not to keep three players, a straight (not snake) draft will occur as follows:

1st round:

Adam obtains first of three keepers

Brian obtains first of two keepers

Chris obtains first of three keepers

Dave drafts a player from available player pool

2nd round:

Adam obtains second of three keepers

Brian obtains second of two keepers

Chris obtains second of three keepers

Dave drafts player from available player pool

3rd round:

Adam obtains third of three keepers

Brian drafts player from available player pool

Chris obtains third of three keepers

4th round (regular draft selections for all owners):

Adam drafts player from available player pool

Brian drafts player from available player pool

Chris drafts player from available player pool

5th Round (regular draft selections for all owners and snake format begins):

Dave

Chris

Brian

Adam

etc.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-18-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #1282
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

The middle of the floor is saved!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #1283
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen it done like this. This is beneficial to the teams that did not do as well the previous years. It is like rewarding teams who did not draft well the year before.

I feel, just because you do not have a 3rd keeper does not mean you should be rewarded with the "3rd" round pick. In my league you do not have to keep the 4 keepers allotted to you. If you want to keep 2 or 3 players you can do that, but you won't be compensated. It is almost like an unfair competitive advantage. You get to select players before the rest of the league gets to.

You can't think of keepers like if they are worth it in rounds 1-3. They should be treated as rounds i, ii, iii. Keepers might be kept because they might blow up this year or the following year.

For example,

Hypothetically, I have Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, and Westbrook on my team. I can only keep 3. Thiggy decides to only keep 2 top tier players just to see who is available. He can take Westbrook with that pick...who was supposed to go to U2 for having the worst record.

Last edited by nikeball; 06-18-2009 at 10:20 AM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #1284
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

So everyone keeps 3 and our "1st round" will start in the 4th round, correct?

(seems like the fairest/easiest way to do it, unless you inherited Sike's team!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #1285
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with nikeball, part of the fun of a keeper league is that you reap the repercussions of the previous year (both positive and negative repercussions).

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 06-18-2009 at 10:21 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #1286
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
So everyone keeps 3 and our "1st round" will start in the 4th round, correct?

(seems like the fairest/easiest way to do it, unless you inherited Sike's team!)

Your team isn't that bad . Moss and Calvin Johnson are definite keepers. You could even argue Portis or Witten.

This league is 1 whole point per reception. Not partial points. That 1 whole point is huge. WRs & RBs who catch the ball are worth a good deal more.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #1287
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
I agree with nikeball, part of the fun of a keeper league is that you reap the repercussions of the previous year (both positive and negative repercussions).
...and it isn't that big of a deal. I finished 2nd to last in Year One (hello Jack Black/Michael Cera) of my keepers league and the following year I finished in 3rd place. If you draft well, you will be ok.

Last edited by nikeball; 06-18-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #1288
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler alert: I'm think I'm going to keep AP.

Beyond that, I am confused now. Is keeping someone as a second keeper (that no one would EVER pick in the second round) foolish?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #1289
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
Hypothetically, I have Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, and Westbrook on my team. I can only keep 3. Thiggy decides to only keep 2 top tier players just to see who is available. He can take Westbrook with that pick...who was supposed to go to U2 for having the worst record.
In that scenario, If U2 wants Westbrook instead of his third-best player, he can have him. Right?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #1290
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Your team isn't that bad . Moss and Calvin Johnson are definite keepers. You could even argue Portis or Witten.

This league is 1 whole point per reception. Not partial points. That 1 whole point is huge. WRs & RBs who catch the ball are worth a good deal more.
I like Moss & Johnson just fine, but I certainly wouldn't take either of them in the first two rounds (I never pick WRs early, not even in PPR - I'd rather take a RB with good hands...)

But that's MY problem for jumping into a keeper league that I wasn't part of last season...

Big question - WHEN do we have to decide on our keepers? (because someone like Witten doesn't look as sexy if the Cowboys pick up a veteran WR before the season starts...)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-18-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #1291
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
In that scenario, If U2 wants Westbrook instead of his third-best player, he can have him. Right?
That's the thing, he won't know who is available. If U2 has 3 players he wants to keep..and it was the rest of the team that was horrendous, he should still get the first pick in the pool since he had the worst record last year.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #1292
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The deadline was supposed to be July 1st, and I think we should honor that.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #1293
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Correct.

Doing it any other way doesn't make any sense. If I want to throw away Larry Fitzgerald for a chance at a hot rookie in the first round of the draft I should have the right to do that. Forcing people to keep players they don't want is silly.

Again though, I can't stress this enough: The key is that you don't get to do what Nikeball stated. You don't get to see that someone didn't protect player X and decide you like him better than your player and drop your keeper in order to draft player X.

It's a risk/reward proposition.

Nike I think you're coming at this from the perspective of a league that assign draft rounds to keepers. As in you give up your first round pick in order to keep the player you selected in the first round last year. That's not how this league works. "Gaining" a third round pick at the expense of a known commodity in a keeper is not some huge advantage in my opinion.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #1294
nikeball
Platinum Member

I am fine with doing things either way. I was just throwing my opinion out there. There isn't an exact science to FFB . Let's just get this resolved so we can turn in our keepers. Although pushing it to a later date would be good. What if our keepers get hurt in preseason , that would suck. Push the keepers date to 1 or 2 weeks before the draft.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #1295
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's the thing, he won't know who is available. If U2 has 3 players he wants to keep..and it was the rest of the team that was horrendous, he should still get the first pick in the pool since he had the worst record last year.
If U2 has three players he truly wants to keep (and I don't think he does) then he's probably better off than someone that only has one keeper and has to dip into a pool of talent that is severely picked over by everyone locking up their keepers.

I think you're greatly overstating what an advantage this is.

And the flip side would be forcing someone to keep a mediocre keeper when he doesn't even want that player. Keeper leagues are about keeping players you want, not being stuck with terrible, injured rosters into infinity. That's what dynasty leagues are for.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #1296
Underdog

I'm game for however you guys want to work out the draft, but I'd like to cast a vote for a later keeper deadline - July 1st seems too early to tell...

(despite our excitement, football is still several months away!)

Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #1297
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

My problem was injuries to my quarterbacks. I wanted so badly to trade for Eli and McNabb because whomever I made a QB would eventually get injured.

It's like the BaD radio curse except it's the U2 curse.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #1298
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

There are no set rules in this league anyways. Two QBs, a full point per reception, etc. Just enjoy it and try to have some fun =]

Contact Me
Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #1299
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well BG...do the keepers need to be determined in ESPN's system by a certain date? Or can you assign keepers all the way up until the draft?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #1300
Underdog

Suns fans are talking about Al Jefferson, Mavs fans are talking about Fantasy Football...

There's something very wrong about that!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #1301
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Well BG...do the keepers need to be determined in ESPN's system by a certain date? Or can you assign keepers all the way up until the draft?
There is a "set keepers date" somewhere in LM tools.

edit:

I don't have 3 great players to keep either. I had a bunch of good-solid players last year that were all very consistent.

I guess once the rules / dates are set..BG make a DM Fantasy football 2009 thread so we know what to do

Last edited by nikeball; 06-18-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #1302
alby
Guru

Keepers will be due on July 1st according to BG

I just finished typing out a spreadsheet that includes the rosters for each team. If anyone wants a copy of the .xls, just PM me with your email address (maybe along with some rep), and I'll send the file to you. It's a lot more convenient to see everything in front of you and you can pretty much guess who the three keepers for each owner, so you can put those names down. Thus, you can take a educated guesses on who you believe will be available in the draft pool.

Contact Me
Old 06-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #1303
nikeball
Platinum Member

Can we still do trades? like offseason?

Anyone want.. Westbrook, White? Welker?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #1304
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I will give you Stackhouse's expiring contract for Westbrook.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #1305
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

you guys have fun, I get dibs for 2010/11

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #1306
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
I will give you Stackhouse's expiring contract for Westbrook.
In D-M fantasy football we are not in a recession.

q=)
Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #1307
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
If U2 has three players he truly wants to keep (and I don't think he does) then he's probably better off than someone that only has one keeper and has to dip into a pool of talent that is severely picked over by everyone locking up their keepers.

I think you're greatly overstating what an advantage this is.

And the flip side would be forcing someone to keep a mediocre keeper when he doesn't even want that player. Keeper leagues are about keeping players you want, not being stuck with terrible, injured rosters into infinity. That's what dynasty leagues are for.
My sentiments exactly.

And Alby...can you post the spreadsheet here in the thread, as an attachment?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #1308
alby
Guru

sigh, I'm not sure if I'll get the same amount of rep for doing this

edit* looks like I am unable to attached .xls files

PM me your email CD

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 06-18-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #1309
alby
Guru

I don't think my three would be keepers are first 3 round caliber players.

Actually, after thinking about it... there's no point in keeping any of your players unless its a top top tier guy in this format.

I may end up keeping zero. I think the way we're doing it is kinda unfair.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 06-18-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #1310
Underdog

Quote:
I don't think my three would be keepers are first 3 round caliber players.

Actually, after thinking about it... there's no point in keeping any of your players unless its a top top tier guy in this format.

I may end up keeping zero. I think the way we're doing it is kinda unfair.
Problem there is that anyone you WOULD draft in the first 3 rounds is probably already a keeper for another team...

Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #1311
nikeball
Platinum Member

^indeed.

For example. If you only keep Romo, that means he will be your first overall pick. Might as well just drop everyone and take Romo in the 3rd round.

I think most people on average will keep 2 players. So there will be 12 picks left over.

I am just going to tell you all. I am keeping 3 players.

I am keeping Ladanian Tomlinson, Brian Westbrook, and Drew Brees.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #1312
alby
Guru

Yup, I have nobody on my current roster that would have been picked in the first round... so why should I keep anyone?

Contact Me
Old 06-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #1313
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

In a 2 QB league with 12 teams you don't want to at least guarantee yourself Tony Romo?

I'd think about it.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #1314
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Tony Romo? He's projected to go in the 5th, Aaron Rodgers in the 4th.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #1315
Underdog

Quote:
Yup, I have nobody on my current roster that would have been picked in the first round... so why should I keep anyone?
Like I said, because everyone you WOULD choose is already someone else's keeper...

My top choices for the first three rounds are probably already off the boards - that's the downside of a keeper league (especially with an inherited team...)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-18-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #1316
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Is this league up and running on ESPN already?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #1317
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Like I said, because everyone you WOULD choose is already someone else's keeper...

My top choices for the first three rounds are probably already off the boards - that's the downside of a keeper league (especially with an inherited team...)
Don't you have Moss and Megatron?

They are projected to go 12 and 15 in alot of leagues..in a 1 PPR league..they should be ranked higher..

The only guy Alby has projected to go in the top 36 is .. Reggie Wayne. He is in more of a quandry than you are.

Last edited by nikeball; 06-18-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #1318
Underdog

Quote:

They are projected to go 12 and 15 in alot of leagues..in a 1 PPR league..they should be ranked higher..

The only guy Alby has projected to go in the top 36 is .. Reggie Wayne. He is in more of a quandry than you are.
Moss & Megatron are great - it's their QB's that I'm worried about (especially if I have to decide on my keepers by July 1st...)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-18-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #1319
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:

What rankings are you looking at? I've seen Romo and Rodgers ranked right on the edge of that top 36 as well.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #1320
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
What rankings are you looking at? I've seen Romo and Rodgers ranked right on the edge of that top 36 as well.
Average Draft Positions of a compilations of many mock drafts.

Tags
6 points per fluff, fantasy, fantasy fluff, your mom is my fantasy