Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-20-2003, 06:22 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Miller re-signs with Indiana

Reggie Miller signs new contract with Pacers

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer
August 20, 2003

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Reggie Miller signed a new multiyear contract with the Indiana Pacers on Wednesday, keeping the franchise's all-time leading scorer from leaving the city where he has played his entire NBA career.

``I wanted to be loyal to myself, the franchise and the fans by finishing my career with the Pacers and pursue our goal of winning a championship,'' Miller said in a statement.

The Pacers did not release terms of the deal with the unrestricted free agent, and a message left with Miller's agent, Arn Tellem, wasn't returned.

Tellem said last month that he hoped to complete a deal with the Pacers that would keep Miller in place for the rest of his career.

Pacers coach Isiah Thomas said in a telephone interview from Puerto Rico there was no timetable how much longer Miller would play.

``I think Reggie will try and play as long as he possibly can,'' Thomas said. ``Only he knows the answer to that.''

Miller's salary last season was $12 million, and he was expected to take a hefty pay cut to keep the Pacers under the luxury tax threshold.

The 37-year-old Miller, who holds the NBA's record for most 3-pointers, bruised his right ankle bone during an exhibition game before the World Championships last summer. The injury bothered him all season and he averaged only 12.6 points.

He's also coming off the worst playoff series of his 16-year career, averaging 9.2 points on 28 percent shooting in a six-game loss to Boston.

Miller had ankle surgery on May 19 and is expected to make a complete recovery.

``I think he feels rejuvenated,'' Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Wednesday. ``He got the ankle fixed and he feels good about that.''

Miller is the Pacers' all-time leader in nine categories. His 23,505 career points are easily the most by any player in Pacers history. (Rik Smits is second with 12,871.)

Thomas, who spent his entire career with the Detroit Pistons, appreciated Miller's commitment to one team.

``Anytime you have an opportunity to finish your career in one place and be part of an organization you help get off the ground is great,'' Thomas said.

Old 08-20-2003, 07:13 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley

``I wanted to be loyal to myself, the franchise and the fans by finishing my career with the Pacers and pursue our goal of winning a championship,'' Miller said in a statement.

He's become the 37 year old version of Kevin Garnett. I'm so sick of analysis hyping this team up, where they can't even get out of the first round. The day Miller wins a championship with the Pacers is the day i stop posting for a month.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:40 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Would that include an Eastern Conference championship (cf 1999-2000 season)?

If Garnett's Wolves had half of Miller's Pacers' playoff record, nobody would be questioning his (Garnett's) ability to win.

Miller's been there and done that, closer than most players ever get. He's allowed a little NBA-vet dementia at this point.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:46 AM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Miller re-signs with Indiana

The disappointing playoff performance of this team should fall squarely in the lap of Isiah Thomas. He is by far the worst coach in the NBA and the Pacers will never get anywhere with him in charge. I commend Reggie Miller's choice to suck it up and stay loyal to his team and his fans despite being grossly misused by Deke the Clown. The easy thing to do was to bolt and take the $1.5 from the Lakers/Mavericks/Kings/Spursand try to coast into a championship... but his commitment to the Pacers and his fans convinced him to look past the f*cked up situation he has in Indy and to end his career where it should end. Reggie the Legend - the model of big game clutch performers - will end his career a Pacer. What a wonderful story.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:13 PM   #5
EVAN

EVAN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley

He's become the 37 year old version of Kevin Garnett. I'm so sick of analysis hyping this team up, where they can't even get out of the first round. The day Miller wins a championship with the Pacers is the day i stop posting for a month.

Reggie has proven himself in his career, he was and is a great player....and they're hyped up because any of three teams can win the east, INDIANA DETROIT AND NJ, but noone hypes them as legitimate championship contenders!

All reggie did with his statement is say all the right things...What do you expect Reggie to say: " I wanted to be loyal to myself, the franchise and the fans by finishing my career with the Pacers and pursue our goal of losing in the first round of the playoffs"?
EVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:04 PM   #6
thebac

thebac is on a distinguished road

Not quite sure where the comparison to KG came from. KG is immensely more talented, while Reggie doesn't seem to do much except shoot and succeed in the clutch. He's like the Anti-KG, if anything.