Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-19-2004, 10:53 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Damned...

Dang, that altercation was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen in an NBA game, and I have to say that those Detroit fans looked like absolutely cowardly trash...
Old 11-19-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
KFunk

KFunk will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Damned... Detroit Fans are Trash.

oh my god.... that was insane
absolute trash. the beer bottle at artest... and after they went up in the stands, there was some fan out the outside throwing punch after punch at another indiana player... and then everyone was throwing whatever they could as indiana players were going in the tunnel with security protection.

I can't believe ben wallace shoved artest in the face like that, completely uncalled for.
KFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:08 AM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Damned... Detroit Fans are Trash.

Every Piston fan got exactly what they deserved. I was ready to blame Artest and though Wallace was in the wrong I understand his frustration but this is the game. This is how some of us play everyday. We get upset but for the fans to jump in i'm glad Artest and SJax decked them.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:57 PM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i have to agree. if i was artest, i would have reacted the same way.

what a bunch of low class jerks.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just in terms of the pre-beer throwing stage of the altercation, I think Ben Wallace was more at fault than Artest, and afterwards Artest deserves some leeway for fighting back against those cowardly fans. If Artest is suspended for more than a game or two I think the NBA will be committing a travesty...
Old 11-19-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Just in terms of the pre-beer throwing stage of the altercation, I think Ben Wallace was more at fault than Artest, and afterwards Artest deserves some leeway for fighting back against those cowardly fans. If Artest is suspended for more than a game or two I think the NBA will be committing a travesty...
Wallace should be suspended a couple of games. Artest took a ridiculous cheap shot on Wallace but probably not one deserving of a suspension....

The fans should be in jail and banned from attending sporting events but Artest should be suspended for a long time.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:07 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Artest was not in physical danger. I cannot understand ANYONE saying that it was a natural reaction from a professional athlete. How is it a natural reaction? Hundreds and hundreds of athletes have had beer thrown on them in games for years....How many of them reacted in the same manner?

I would expect that Artest's actions in the past will be taken into account. They should. If this was a first time offender of doing something ridiculous such as this, I would expect the NBA to go a little easier. However, with Artest's history, the league should come down HARD on this nut.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:11 PM   #8
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

wow...WWF night in Detroit. That was insane.

I concur with grandmaster - under NO circumstances can players bring it into the stands.

Did anybody see Craig and Jennifer Bueno in the stands?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:11 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hundreds and hundreds of athletes have had beer thrown on them in games for years....How many of them reacted in the same manner?
How many of them were basketball players...kind of hard to get to the fans in any other sport. Not saying he was right, but I can understand his reaction.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:15 PM   #10
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Ben Wallace should not have come after Artest like that, and Artest should not have gone into the stands. If a cup of ice has been thrown at you, let security take care of it. Completely rediculous

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

I'm sure alot of basketball players have had beer or other objects thrown at them. I'm sure it happens on a regular basis where some type of object hits a player.

And yes, most of the incidents that I have seen have occurred in football and baseball, but are you going to tell me that the players don't have access to the fans? Sure they do. It occurs in Oakland on a routine basis, and there is definitely access to the fans especially around the bullpen.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:04 PM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If Artest is suspended for more than a game or two I think the NBA will be committing a travesty.
Can't agree. The league absolutely cannot allow their players to take matters into their own hands like that against the fans, regardless of the extent to which the fan deserves an ass-whooping. If the fan runs out on the court it's one thing, but it's inexcusable for a player to rush into the stands like that.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #13
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Let someone throw beer on me and see how fast I go off. The fans were way out of line and got what they deserved. That said, Artest should get that month off to promote his new album. Also, some charity will benefit heavily from this as well. It's not all bad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:18 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: GP
Let someone throw beer on me and see how fast I go off. The fans were way out of line and got what they deserved. That said, Artest should get that month off to promote his new album. Also, some charity will benefit heavily from this as well. It's not all bad.
Perhaps that's what he was trying to do.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #15
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

You know it Murph, but I think you are putting your life up for grabs when you mess with a psycho like Artest. Anything goes with that dude. He is wound way too tight. The rest of us would go off but stop short of hurting someone.

edited for grammer and clarity
Old 11-19-2004, 11:27 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
You know it Murph, but I think you are putting your life up for grabs when you mess with a psycho like Artest. Anything goes with that dude. He is wound way too tight. The rest of us would go off but stop short of hurting someone.

Wallace almost floored him with a push......I think I'd put my money on Wallace any day of the week.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:30 PM   #17
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

i missed this whole incident..i'm waiting for halftime of the sac game to see if they replay it

i hope they do..bastards at the cable co. here want another 10 bucks for espnnews
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:32 PM   #18
GP

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:

Wallace almost floored him with a push......I think I'd put my money on Wallace any day of the week.
Sorry for being unclear, I was referring to the fan who started the fracas with Artest. Big Ben can more than take care of himself I would think. On a more serious note, how does the NBA approach discipline for this? Do they still have that rule about players leaving the bench during a fight and automatically getting suspended? It looked like the entire team was in the stands. Are they going to have to forfeit games or field a team entirely of ten day contract players? Absolutely wild.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:34 PM   #19
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Artest really had no excuse for going into the stands. Some bum that makes $25k a year threw a beer on him. All he had to do was shoot the guy the bird and move to center court. I realize that's easy for me to say, but I'd have just thrown the cup back at the guy. Then, I'd have probably missed him and hit a girl and felt bad, because I'm a lefty and we have wild arms.

Granted, that fan and lots of others are going to be arrested soon, but Artest had no excuse for that. He and Stephen Jackson are going to be gone a long time, and for good reason.

Absolutely the ugliest thing I've ever seen in pro sports. Uglier than Napolean McCallum's knee completely hyper-extending on MNF in '94.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:23 PM   #20
GoMavsGo

GoMavsGo is on a distinguished road

that was a straight up gangsta brawl!...i think the leauge should give the players involved the worst type of discipline ever given for bad NBA acts. and is it me or is ron artest becoming more and more like a show.

go mavs go
GoMavsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:25 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Jackson needs some time off to help Artest out.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:40 PM   #22
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road

Not a lot of you are mentioning Steven Jackson. He was one of the most active participators in all of this. Did you guys catch him landing punch after punch? Wow
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:43 PM   #23
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Ben Wallace is a fucking idiot. That foul wasn't even that big of a deal. Nowitzki gets roughed up like that all the fucking time. He started everything and Artest was surprisingly cool.

Wallace and Jackson should get suspended and fined far more than Artest.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:45 PM   #24
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, Jackson was one of the biggest instigators in the whole thing, no doubt about it. He came out looking worse than Artest and Wallace.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:46 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirk2003
Ben Wallace is a fucking idiot. That foul wasn't even that big of a deal. Nowitzki gets roughed up like that all the fucking time. He started everything and Artest was surprisingly cool.

Wallace and Jackson should get suspended and fined far more than Artest.
Artest should be 'surprisingly' cool. He had accomplished his goal. He had whacked Wallace with little time left on the clock with absolutely NO intent on making a play on the ball. There's no reason for that foul not to be a flagrant. Yes, Wallace went overboard, but I have no sympathy for Artest in the situation.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:49 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

While Wally Joyner was playing 1st base for the Angels as a rookie, a fan threw a hunting knife at him. The knife actually hit him, but Joyner didn't attack the fan. He picked up the knife and gave it to his manager. He had access to the fan. It's not like the wall was any higher than a 2-3 feet.

In an Atlanta Braves game, a couple of fans ran onto the field and attacked Chris Chambliss and Jerry Royster back in 1984. Chambliss and Royster tackled and held the fans down on the ground.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:53 PM   #27
GP

Quote:
While Wally Joyner was playing 1st base for the Angels as a rookie, a fan threw a hunting knife at him. The knife actually hit him, but Joyner didn't attack the fan. He picked up the knife and gave it to his manager. He had access to the fan. It's not like the wall was any higher than a 2-3 feet.

In an Atlanta Braves game, a couple of fans ran onto the field and attacked Chris Chambliss and Jerry Royster back in 1984. Chambliss and Royster tackled and held the fans down on the ground.
That reminds me of Monica Seles being attacked in Germany by that lunatic. Fans have way to much access to these athletes.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:57 PM   #28
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's commendable, but his reaction strikes me as the exception as opposed to the rule. Then again, if a fan is crazy enough to throw a knife, it may not be a good idea to go after him. I'm sure he considered this.

Again, I'm not saying Artest was right, but I can understand his reaction and think that at least half of men in pro sports would have reacted if they were in his shoes. Testosterone is a hell of a drug and it was an emotionally charged situation.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 PM   #29
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

i just saw a snippet of the incident on "coming up at the half"..

oh man that was scary as HELL! That punch that jermaine threw at the guy could've been lethal

you come to the game, behave yourself..let the players play and decide the game

that being said, artest needs some help..that shot of the two assistants covering his head while he was taken to the locker room was disturbing

fans throwing stuff should be arrested...this is serious stuff..these guys are 6'7, 6'8 250 pounds..
Old 11-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #30
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Jermaine threw a punch????

Artest didnt want to give up a easy bucket, so he fouled him hard. Isn't that what they teach you in the NBA? He is the defensive player of the year... so a facial would have been ugly.

I can't blame Artest one bit. That fan had it coming.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:51 PM   #31
dirk2003

NVM, I saw O'Neal... i thought it was artest as well.. haha
Old 11-19-2004, 11:52 PM   #32
rakesh.s
Golden Member

Quote:

Artest didnt want to give up a easy bucket, so he fouled him hard. Isn't that what they teach you in the NBA? He is the defensive player of the year... so a facial would have been ugly.

am i mistaken when i said jermaine??? i could've sworn that he threw a punch at that guy with the pistons jersey on...or was that artest?? i'm gonna watch it again on halftime here
Old 11-19-2004, 11:59 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

You teach a player to go for the ball. He made no play on the ball whatsoever. I don't believe he was trying to stop the bucket...He was attempting to get in a cheap shot because that's what he does.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:45 PM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Arrests need to be made on both sides.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 PM   #35
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I wonder if the guy that Artest went after actually threw the cup at him. He was on his back so I'm not sure how he could tell.

This is bad PR for the NBA, but on the plus side, this series now ranks right below Lakers/Heat on the must see TV scale.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:53 PM   #36
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

it doesnt matter how big the guys are. What happened was absolutely wrong. Fans felt that they were invinsible against the players and against the law.

Why do these media pundits support the players so fervently, though? It's balls to say that the NBA shouldn't suspend the players and should press charges against fans.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:05 AM   #37
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

"when a fan throws something, you have to defend yourself"

holding up your arm is self-defense, climbing into the stands and ramming a fan's head into the seat with intent to do serious harm- that is violence.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:08 AM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
"when a fan throws something, you have to defend yourself"

holding up your arm is self-defense, climbing into the stands and ramming a fan's head into the seat with intent to do serious harm- that is violence.
Exactly. It's not like the fan had an unlimited supply of beer to throw on Artest. Obviously, I have no sympathy for the fan, but what Artest did was way out of line. It's just a series of many out of line incidents involving this worthless thug.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:11 AM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

I'm ashamed of the guys on ESPN. They are an embarrassment to the network with the manner in which they are defending Artest.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:25 AM   #40
GP

Quote:
I'm ashamed of the guys on ESPN. They are an embarrassment to the network with the manner in which they are defending Artest.
Well said and very true. Jim Gray was absolutely the best and he explained exactly what happened. Artest, Jackson and the fans are all at fault. Whover, threw that bottle and hit Tommy Nunez, Jr. committed a felony. That chair throwing was also very dangerous. Iverson spent time in prison for something similar although on a much greater scale. Artest needs to be suspended for a long, long time and Jackson does as well.