Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

A quick update, when I started my diet on August 3rd, I was 240 lbs. Today, October 5th, I am down to 206 lbs. I have lost 34 pounds in 2 months using the Atkins nutritional approach. I still have not exercised once. My goal weight is 190, I'm only 16 pounds away, and I imagine I could get there in another 4-5 weeks.

Feels good man.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
I still have not exercised once.
The fat will probably come back, but the muscle won't.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
The fat will probably come back, but the muscle won't.
My plan is to get down to 185/190 pounds first, then after that, start working out and gain some back in muscle. But I will stay low carb forever. The fat will never come back, because I have changed my lifestyle. I know I will never have another soft drink, or any of the other things that I was basically KILLING myself with ever again. And I don't even miss the sugar anymore. It comes back when people quit the diet and don't do it the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post

In the old days, I'd have Bacon, Sausage, 3-5 egg omelet with cheese and a bunch of other stuff, French Toast and or Pancakes, 2-3 glasses of Juice...I might grab a piece of fruit or some type of sweet yogurt.

Breakfast being the most important meal of the day, I used to pig out!!!

Now, it's taken me nearly 3 years to change my eating habits...but I changed them one thing a time. Rather than making a drastic Diet that sets me up for failure as I would eventually go back to eating what I ate before the Diet. I decided to make a lifestyle change and find foods that I could eat long term.
The good news is that I can still eat pretty much all the eggs, bacon, sausage, fried bologna i want for breakfast every morning if i so choose. No toast, pancakes or OJ though.

Carbs are a sort of an addiction. The first couple weeks was rough, but I now have no desire to have bread, pop, potatoes, candy, or any of that. I've actually started planning/cooking my own meals, and now instead of eating mcdonalds every day, I'll make myself a steak and salad, or pork chops, or chicken, or whatever I want. It's so much better than fast food, and even cheaper. I haven't drank anything other than water since I started either, although there are other options. I just wanted to break that caffeine addiction as well.

I didn't think I could handle it. I have never had the willpower to resist food. It's always been my weakness. But once I got dedicated to make a change, after a while all those urges just went away. Plus meat keeps me filled up. I hardly ever feel hungry anymore. I used to get headaches if I wasn't constantly feeding my face. No more. I don't starve myself and when I do get hungry I eat until I'm full. I just basically transformed my body to run on fat instead of carbs as its main energy source. 20-30 carbs a day and a ton of protein. If I've lost any muscle, I certainly haven't noticed it...

Last edited by xrobx; 10-05-2011 at 11:43 PM.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
I didn't think I could handle it. I have never had the willpower to resist food. It's always been my weakness. But once I got dedicated to make a change, after a while all those urges just went away.
This is, of course, the most important thing. My mom and sister are currently doing a Medi Weight Loss program, which is basically a supervised and controlled Atkins diet. Low-carb or low cal, it bothers me to see people argue over which one works because it's obvious through anecdotal evidence that both can and do. It's just a matter of making the lifestyle change and being committed to doing it.

My sister has a food addiction, and she talks all the time about how much she craves chocolate or pasta or whatever, and it always baffles me, because my mind doesn't work like that at all.

While my diet is, strictly speaking, low-cal, it's not really "high"-carb. I've basically cut out sugar, potatoes, most dairy, and pasta. The only carbs I take in are whole grains (and even then, solely in the morning with my wonderful Kashi cereal) and beans. I still have yogurt, as well, but only Activia (10 net carbs) or the Kroger Carbmaster yogurt (4 net carbs). Usually, I drink Silk almond milk, which is so much better tasting than regular milk, but without the lactose and the acne. I'm probably getting about 50-60g of carbs a day, 30 from breakfast, and another 20-30 depending on what I have for lunch. Usually none from dinner, as that tends to be meat-and-veggies.

The way I see it, I'm limiting myself to, say, 1500 calories a day. I might as well pick the most nutritious diet I can get. That tends to be low-carb, as well. I'm never really in ketosis, though. I've checked.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 10-06-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
A quick update, when I started my diet on August 3rd, I was 240 lbs. Today, October 5th, I am down to 206 lbs. I have lost 34 pounds in 2 months using the Atkins nutritional approach. I still have not exercised once. My goal weight is 190, I'm only 16 pounds away, and I imagine I could get there in another 4-5 weeks.

Feels good man.
Well, Atkins said doing exercise was non-negotiable, so I would advise at least starting. With any diet, the closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it becomes and the more important exercise is.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:

Feels good man.
this was my first post in this thread about 4 months ago... and now i'm 177. goal, schmoal. -29 since posting -63 overall

but I really think I'm done now, just focusing on maintenance from here on out.

best of luck to you all and thanks for reading my updates
Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
this was my first post in this thread about 4 months ago... and now i'm 177. goal, schmoal. -29 since posting -63 overall

nice work.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #8
xrobx
Diamond Member

Quote:

I haven't posted in this thread in over 3 years and in that time I slowly managed to work my way back up to 195 pounds. Started going to the gym a couple weeks ago for the first time and going to try to get back down in the 180s the hard way, maybe gain some muscle