Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nelson a bit bitter?

Posted on Tue, Jul. 27, 2004

I M A G E S

GETTY IMAGES/GLENN JAMES
Calvin Booth left the Mavericks for the Sonics after 2001, but his return means Dallas has a new option at center.

Mavs trade for center Booth

By Art Garcia

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

For a team in constant search for frontline help, Mavericks coach Don Nelson put Monday's trade for Calvin Booth in perspective.

"He plays center, doesn't he?" Nelson asked rhetorically from his off-season home in Maui. "That's a pretty good start.".....................................

Don't you get the sense in Nellie's quote that he's bitter? I wonder if he is still bitter about Nash leaving? Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I get the feeling that Nellie thinks that, because of pressure to get a man in the middle, that Dallas has to stack up in the position. Maybe Nellie had a few beers, but he could have at least commented a little bit more then that about Booth. Instead of perhaps complimented what Booth did a few years back for us against Utah and that he fit well here, he just says "he plays center, doesn't he?"

The reason I am posting this article is because I believe it adds to growing opinion that Nelson just doesn't want to play big men at that position that can actually play some defense and make a difference. Haha it almost seems like Nellie doesn't even remember who Calvin Booth is, and since he didn't even use a center last season, it wouldn't surprise me. Now that I think about it, Bradley and Eschmeyer are the only true centers that this team has had in years.

Booth is a pf/c, Walker, f/pf/c Williams a pf/c, Raef at pf/c, Fortson, pf/c (more a pf), Dirk, f/ pf/c, Loy Vaught (remember him!) pf/c, Laettner, pf/c, Juwan Howard, pf/c......Yes, you get the point.

Maybe Nellie was just joking and is thrilled to have him back.

Haha, or maybe Nellie is irritated that Booth is now more of a center then a power forward.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Nelson a bit bitter?

Nellie rarely has much informative material to add when they add guys. He's in his own lil world perhaps, it seems like he doesnt sweat the roster til training camp. "Offseason mode" is what I would call it.

I am beginning to think that Nellie's main (only?) focus anymore is coaching. Yes he has input to an extent in trades, but I am not convinced he is very focused until they hit the court in training camp. Thus I dont read much of anything into Nellies comments.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Just the few beers thing.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:Nelson a bit bitter?

I wouldn't read too much into it. I think he knows that something bigger is going to happen. We have four backup centers and no starting center.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

honestly who cares
Old 07-27-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
mavsfan4life7

mavsfan4life7 is on a distinguished road

maybe avery can be the head coach in 2 years? he might be better for dallas than nelson.
mavsfan4life7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

He can be kind of sarcastic at times, which is what I would assume he sounded like when he was quoted. He doesn't seem to like talking to the media a whole lot.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:38 PM   #8
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

When he does like talking to the media, he seems a little drunk as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
He can be kind of sarcastic at times, which is what I would assume he sounded like when he was quoted. He doesn't seem to like talking to the media a whole lot.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:28 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"That's a pretty good start.".....................................
At least he's aware we still have many opportunities to improve.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #10
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

why do the mavs even give don nelson the title of GM? he doesn't do anything, except get hammered and play dress-up in jail suits
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:54 PM   #11
freestyle

freestyle has a spectacular aura aboutfreestyle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: bgantz
why do the mavs even give don nelson the title of GM? he doesn't do anything, except get hammered and play dress-up in jail suits

Maybe I should have been a coach too! Actually, I like Nelson as a coach and a personality. (Nelson as a GM --rather than Donnie--tends to worry me.) He has a very unconventional way of coaching the game which tends to keep his peers off balance. The Mavs are fun to watch. We have the most exciting style of play in the league. We've done pretty well in the West without a great center. If he continues to drink heavily this season, I think we are a lock for the title....
freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If he continues to drink heavily this season, I think we are a lock for the title....
that my friends is greatness!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:01 AM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Can we use moons? I can't even tell what is sarcastic anymore.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:24 AM   #14
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I'm glad I'm not a coach in the NBA. I think Nelly would piss me off...seriously, you have no clue what he's gonna throw at you.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:48 AM   #15
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I know this is sort of a pipe dream, but wouldn't having Dirk as a player/coach be pretty interesting?
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote