Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need help: Running network cable in attic

Alright you networking peoples, tell me what you know. I think someone here must know something about something.

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy cable? I'm running cable for 3 rooms, and I need about 250-300 feet total to be safe. RJ45 face plates....what kind of tools do I need?

There are too many kinds of cable. cat5...cat6...cat5e...

Do I need to avoid crossing power lines? Does it need to be shielded in any way?

What time can you come over to run the cable?

What is "Fish Tape" ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Hire a professional if you don't have any background.

By the time you purchase all of the crimping and cutting tools needed you could have paid for someone else to have done it while you had a cold beer. So you can put 20% of your 200k house payment down but you can't pay 200 to have cable installed in your home???

Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I was rather looking forward to doing it myself as a learning experience, actually.

edit: You don't need a crimping tool for wall plates do you? I thought you just needed the punch down tool? (but what the hell do I know)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-18-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

ha.

good work.

Cat 5e. You can buy that stuff at home depot. I think they have spools of 500 feet and 1000 feet(in a box)

Fish tape, thats just like a metal tape that you can help push the cables through the walls, sometimes the cables get hung up because of stuff like insulation

Next, you will need some mounting brackets, they are metal face plates that go into the hole in the drywall. Then, the face plates(usually white plastic) mount to the metal bracket things.

You will need connectors. Not rj45..those are what are on the ends of the cables. These connectors are what the rg-45 things plug in to.

Some crimpers is a yes..they might run 50 bucks or so.

I'm gonna post some links from homedepot.com...Give you an idea of what to get. If you do go to home depot, you are looking for the low voltage section.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

I think Dan is right though..this can be quit expensive. Also, where are all these ends going to terminate to? Are you gonna buy and terminate on a patch panel?, i doubt it..i guess these could all go to a big switch...

anyway..here a small list of what i could find online...I am sure i am missing some stuff..

Coleman Cable 1000 Ft. Category 5E, 24/4 Pair Telephone Wire

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...egoryID=501345
$91.00

Ideal Ratchet Telemaster™ Telephone Tool for RJ-11/RJ-45

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90043+501345
$44.96

Network Tool Kit(maybe sub this for the one above)

$39.97

Leviton® QuickPort® Category 5e Jack

$4.96

Leviton® QuickPort® 1-Gang 4-Port Wallplate

$1.97

Progressive Electronics Classic Tone & Probe Kit ( in case you have wires all mixed up, you can tone them out)

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90043+501516
$89.00

Greenlee Steel Fish Tape - 240 Ft. with Case

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90043+501516
$59.99

Leviton® 10 Pack 1-Gang Wall Mounting Bracket

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100195825
$1.59

You'll also need electrical tape, sharpie permanent markers.

Last edited by MavsX; 02-18-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see Fluke Network Tester $4895
Test of each cable to Cat 5, Cat 5e, or Cat 6 std.... $10 a line.

Generally, if you can find someone with a good tester, and they will put in the lines for $100 a line, let them and smile. Yes, they make some money, but turn key at $100 each is a good price.

If you are going to do it, have fun. Just punch them T568B and go on. That is fairly std.

Here is a pretty decent site for all your needs... http://www.cnaweb.com/

Also, how elaborate are you going to get? Wall rack, patch panels, etc?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 02-18-2008 at 10:33 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:28 PM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

There's a lot to consider. That's why I started this thread. Thanks for the input guys.

This is a project for down the line...We're still unpacking boxes, buying furniture, changing locks, etc.... but this is something I always said I wanted to do, and now I'm just wondering if I need to beg Verizon for a better wireless router because they one they gave me suuuucks
Old 02-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

www.monoprice.com is where I buy all of my cables. I haven't priced long ones, but you might want to check them out. INCREDIBLY cheap for everything else I've ever purchased from them and I've never had a single issue.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah I've used monoprice.com for HDMI cables; didn't have any problems. Good stuff
Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Monoprice looks good. I'll try them out on my next wiring job.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Don't spend that much. It's nuts. Here's my setup:
Materials:
Tin Cans: $ .80 per node (If you have to eat the beans yourself though, you might want to upgrade to $1.50 per node) Paper cups will get you more fidelity, but you'll end up replacing them all the time.

String: 6$ per 1000 yards. You can get good cotton sewing string for about 6$ per 1000 yards. Thin is good. I've not tried nylon sewing string or plastic string.

Full Schematic:

At the End User (I hold this end up to my computer's microphone):

If you go with all that other "standard" stuff, your house will get infested with nerds. Stay away, cause they live on that stuff.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 02-19-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #12
MavsX
Diamond Member

ha ha. You're funny.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #13
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

There is a place (I'm pretty sure it's in Addison) that has incredible rates on a lot of that stuff. Contractors often buy from there. I can't think of the name of it at the moment, so I will ask. Since the project is down the road, I take it you won't mind that I'll be away from my email until Monday or Tuesday.

If you don't hear back from my by Tuesday, please send me a PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles
There is a place (I'm pretty sure it's in Addison) that has incredible rates on a lot of that stuff. Contractors often buy from there. I can't think of the name of it at the moment, so I will ask. Since the project is down the road, I take it you won't mind that I'll be away from my email until Monday or Tuesday.

You da (wo)man.

I work in Addison/North Dallas, so that would be excellent.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Crimping RJ45 connections SUCKS.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #16
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles

could this be what you are thinking about? just west of midway on belmeade, a few blocks south of trinity mills?

http://www.altex.com/
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #17
MavsX
Diamond Member

orange
white-orange
green-white
blue
blue-white
green
brown-white
brown

thats how you wanna make the ends of the cat 5e's...im actually kinda impressed with myself...i remember that from like 6 years ago.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #18
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Altex will rape you if you don't have a corporate account with them.

And jthig.... don't be a wimp.

And MavsX, it's his cables so he can terminate them however he wants. When I do mine I like to buck the trend and use brown/blue as Tx/Rx.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #19
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo

And MavsX, it's his cables so he can terminate them however he wants. When I do mine I like to buck the trend and use brown/blue as Tx/Rx.
Ok, doing 5 or 6 isn't so bad I guess.

But we're helping wire our telephony lab after the move, and crimping a wall of 24 phones for RJ45 sucks.

Especially after you did a wall of phones with RJ11, which is freaking easy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I love the nerd factor on this board.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #21
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo

thats cool with me. I remember learning that is the way to do it..years ago.. Back then i didn't understand that the colors didn't mean anything...

i've always heard and used..the blue pair for voice....like with phones..so that makes sense.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #22
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I love the nerd factor on this board.
you are part of this factor..
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
you are part of this factor..
And proud to be so.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #24
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
And proud to be so.
yeah it is pretty sweet.

especially when people think you're a genius because you can make something as simple as a straight through cable if need be.

Last edited by MavsX; 02-22-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #25
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

ah ... you folks don't know the true meaning of nerdom!

As a Comp Sci/Math/Stats/Econ major with a PhD in Econ (and an emphisis on econometrics)... I know the nerd, and it is I.

(and yet, I am STILL way cooler than any of you buttsticks. sad.)
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #26
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
ah ... you folks don't know the true meaning of nerdom!

As a Comp Sci/Math/Stats/Econ major with a PhD in Econ (and an emphisis on econometrics)... I know the nerd, and it is I.

(and yet, I am STILL way cooler than any of you buttsticks. sad.)

this is YOU

Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #27
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I don't wear glasses.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #28
MavsX
Diamond Member

haha
Old 02-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #29
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Yes, I was talking about Altex, but hadn't noticed any discrepency between purchasing on a corp account vs a personal account. Thanks for the warning!