Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-03-2003, 09:42 AM   #1
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life is on a distinguished road
Default Jamison Adapts to New Role

For 48 minutes, Antawn Jamison is in the game. And it doesn't matter if he's in the game or not.

The Mavericks' sixth man doesn't bide his time idly on the bench. There's no time to relax or cut up with the fellas. No, Jamison is observing intently from his plush sideline seat. He's not only going over the Mavs' offensive and defensive sets in his head; he's learning the nuances of his new teammates.

"You really have to pay attention," Jamison said. "You cannot sit there on the bench and joke around. You always have to be watching."

He'll likely be watching tonight's tipoff against Miami at American Airlines Center from a sitting position that's taking some adjustment. Not only did the former North Carolina star start all 82 games the previous three seasons for Golden State, but Jamison also started 41 of the 43 he played during the 1999-2000 season (he missed 39 games with an injury). He was also part of the first team for half of his games as a rookie.

When the Mavs traded for Jamison in mid-August, coach Don Nelson proclaimed his search for a starting small forward over. Not so fast. Antoine Walker arrived a week before the season, pushing Jamison into a new role. Nelson believes it's one in which Jamison can excel, given his age (27) and offensive skills.

"Takes a little getting used to," Nelson said. "It's always a mind thing instead of a physical thing. I always like my sixth man to be a young guy because young guys get loose quicker. He's got to be ready to roll."

The adjustment, Jamison admits, hasn't been easy. A fourth overall draft pick in 1998, Jamison averaged 20.2 points and 7.5 rebounds a game in five seasons with the Warriors. Over the past three seasons, he played 39.2 minutes a night.

"Coming off the bench is a whole different mind frame," said Jamison, who is averaging 13.3 points and 6.0 rebounds in 27.3 minutes through three games. "For 4 1/2 years I've been so used to playing from the get-go. Now you have to watch what's going on from the bench, and, when it's time for you to go in, you have to be ready to go."

While coming off the bench requires attention to detail, the mental gymnastics don't end when he's on the court.

"Coach calls the play and you're out there wondering, 'Did I do it right?' " he said. "That will come as I get comfortable with the coaching staff and where I need to be on the offensive end. When you're thinking, your reaction is slowed down. You're not using your instincts.

"It's been different, but nothing negative. The most important thing is helping out this team."

Jamison did his part in Saturday's 127-102 win over Utah. He overcame a 0-for-6 start to finish with 18 points and a game-high 10 rebounds. Jamison's offensive game got going with a three-point play just before the end of the first half. The 10-foot jumper and the free throw that rattled home broke his scoreless drought.

"A shot finally went in and even the free throw was kind of iffy," Jamison said. "It just shows you the type of first half that I had. That's the one thing about this game. You can play like I-don't-know-what the first half, and the second half is a different story."

It's just a matter of settling in, Nelson said.

"He needs to just relax and let the game come to him," Nelson said. "I thought the more he played the better he did that."

Jamison's 15 second-half points gave him a personal Mavs' high for points. (He had 17 in the opener against the Los Angeles Lakers.) Though the numbers were solid against the Jazz, Jamison said his game isn't close to where it needs to be.

"I feel a step slower; I don't feel comfortable," he acknowledged. "I hit the boards, I got to the free-throw line, and that kind of eased things up a little bit. I have a lot of room for improvement as far as helping out this team. I'm just trying to get acquainted with coming off the bench and getting used to that situation."

Whether he's in the game or not.

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
Old 11-03-2003, 09:44 AM   #2
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Jamison Adapts to New Role

I sure hope he gets used to the idea of coming off the bench. If it worked for Van Exel, it will work for him.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Jamison Adapts to New Role

I think it will take longer for Jamison than it did NVE.

It would be hard to swallow for any player that has been a go-to guy, a 20+/7+ player his whole career to adjust coming off the bench. Even a player that wants to be a part of winning.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:58 AM   #4
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

I hope he adapts, but I think he is better suited as a starter.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:00 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he'll be a valuable 4th-5th option (hell..the guy could be a #1 or #2 option on most teams in the NBA)
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I like Jamison off the bench. He can provide offense and now he's showing greater ability to rebound.

I like it because he is saying the right things and showing the right attitude for it. It only seems a matter of time for him to be really successful as the sixth man.

I predict he will show signs of having adapted to his new role by the next game against the Lakers (December 4th).
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

I think he will adapt just fine as long as he continues to get time and put up numbers. If Nellie has him coming off the bench for 22 minutes and scoring 11 pts he may have a tough time and could become unhappy. Games like the one against the Warriors won't be good for his adjustment, but I think as long as he keeps producing (15 and 7) and getting 30 minutes a night than he will be fine and we will have the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:29 PM   #8
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why this is even an issue. Nick got starter minutes and so will Jamison. Nick was essentially a starter, so is Jamison. Nick played better than he ever has in his career coming off the bench. It a least appeared that way to the world..
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:38 PM   #9
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: ReDIRKulous
I don't understand why this is even an issue. Nick got starter minutes and so will Jamison. Nick was essentially a starter, so is Jamison. Nick played better than he ever has in his career coming off the bench. It a least appeared that way to the world..
NVE got 27 minutes a game. That's hardly "starter" minutes. Bobby Jackson averaged 28 minutes a game last year. Jamison is used to playing 36+ minutes per game (last year was 39 minutes) so it is a definite adjustment for him to get that few minutes.

And it is difficult to get 30 minutes when the first 6 minutes go by without substitution. That means that you have to play 30 of the final 42 minutes.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:43 PM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I think it will take longer for Jamison than it did NVE.
It would be hard to swallow for any player that has been a go-to guy, a 20+/7+ player his whole career to adjust coming off the bench. Even a player that wants to be a part of winning.
There is a difference. The attitude. Jamison wants it quick, NVE lasted half a season to accept it. (Based on his declarations from the article).

Old 11-03-2003, 02:47 PM   #11
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
NVE got 27 minutes a game. That's hardly "starter" minutes.
John Stockton played the same amount of minutes last year. He was a starter. That is the thing... don't look at it as a negative... he needs to look at it as a positive. He will be saving some major wear and tear on his body this season and he will get close to the same amount of shots and points that he got last season and we can win a championship. And he is making a boatload of money. Sounds ALL good to me.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 11-03-2003, 03:16 PM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this becomes an issue unless he continues to sit in the 4th quarter.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:01 PM   #13
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
John Stockton played the same amount of minutes last year. He was a starter.
LOL - Stockton COULDN'T play more minutes than that. Your example is like comparing apples to handgrenades.

Quote:
That is the thing... don't look at it as a negative... he needs to look at it as a positive. He will be saving some major wear and tear on his body this season
Young pups don't care about wear and tear. Only older players need to be concerned about that.

Quote:
and he will get close to the same amount of shots and points that he got last season and we can win a championship. And he is making a boatload of money. Sounds ALL good to me.
Did you read what you typed? Do you REALLY think that Jamison is going to be able to shoot the ball 18 times a game for the Mavs like he did last year with the Warriors? You do realize that Jamison shot the ball almost as many times as Dirk did last year? I cannot imagine a scenario where Jamison gets more than 12-15 shots per game. We just have too many scorers on the team and ALL of them (except Dirk) will have to live with less shots.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:06 PM   #14
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Bottomline we can only judge Jamison by what he says off-court AND what he does on-court. So far, he is saying the right things about just contributing no matter what the role and all that. And on the court, he has struggled when he first comes on, but he does not show a bad attitude or any selfishness despite the lack of minutes.

In light of all that, it doesn't seem to be an issue for him and to him.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:25 PM   #15
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Quote:
John Stockton played the same amount of minutes last year. He was a starter.
LOL - Stockton COULDN'T play more minutes than that. Your example is like comparing apples to handgrenades.

Quote:
That is the thing... don't look at it as a negative... he needs to look at it as a positive. He will be saving some major wear and tear on his body this season
Young pups don't care about wear and tear. Only older players need to be concerned about that.

Quote:
and he will get close to the same amount of shots and points that he got last season and we can win a championship. And he is making a boatload of money. Sounds ALL good to me.
Did you read what you typed? Do you REALLY think that Jamison is going to be able to shoot the ball 18 times a game for the Mavs like he did last year with the Warriors? You do realize that Jamison shot the ball almost as many times as Dirk did last year? I cannot imagine a scenario where Jamison gets more than 12-15 shots per game. We just have too many scorers on the team and ALL of them (except Dirk) will have to live with less shots.
Jamison took more shots than Fin in less minutes in the Utah game. I think Jamison can take just as many shots as Dirk even if he is only playing 30 minutes. Why not? I think Jamison could be the second leading scorer on the Mavs off the bench. Nick did it... why can't Jamison?

Old 11-03-2003, 08:17 PM   #16
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Jamison took more shots than Fin in less minutes in the Utah game. I think Jamison can take just as many shots as Dirk even if he is only playing 30 minutes. Why not? I think Jamison could be the second leading scorer on the Mavs off the bench. Nick did it... why can't Jamison?
You are making my head hurt. Do you know ANYTHING about basketball? NVE was a DISTANT fourth on the team in scoring AND shots per game.

Dirk 25.1 points per game, 18.6 shots per game
Finley 19.3 points per game, 17.3 shots per game
Nash 17.7 points per game, 13.6 shots per game
NVE 12.5 points per game, 11.4 shots per game

Please stop.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #17
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
You are making my head hurt. Do you know ANYTHING about basketball? NVE was a DISTANT fourth on the team in scoring AND shots per game.

Dirk 25.1 points per game, 18.6 shots per game
Finley 19.3 points per game, 17.3 shots per game
Nash 17.7 points per game, 13.6 shots per game
NVE 12.5 points per game, 11.4 shots per game

Please stop.

Not in the playoffs he wasn't.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:05 PM   #18
Max Power
Banned

Then say your comments are about the playoffs. Which has nothing to do with Jamison averaging 30 minutes or being the 2nd leading scorer in the REGULAR season.

Wow.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:34 PM   #19
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
Then say your comments are about the playoffs. Which has nothing to do with Jamison averaging 30 minutes or being the 2nd leading scorer in the REGULAR season.

Wow.

Why don't you explain to me how they are different. How is saying that Jamison can be the second leading scorer even though he is coming off the bench different than Nick being the second leading scorer off the bench in the playoffs? Good luck explaining that, btw.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:54 PM   #20
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

Wow.

Why don't you explain to me how they are different. How is saying that Jamison can be the second leading scorer even though he is coming off the bench different than Nick being the second leading scorer off the bench in the playoffs? Good luck explaining that, btw.
I'll try to explain it in terms that you might understand. In the playoffs, teams shorten their rotations and play their star players more minutes. Thus a person who averaged less shots in the regular season can get more in the postseason.

Plus in the postseason a coach will ride a player who is on a hot streak. What is sustainable in a 20 game run is not sustainable in an 82 game season. NVE was on a hot streak and got a lot of shots.

But my explanation is probably wasted.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:07 PM   #21
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow.

I'll try to explain it in terms that you might understand. In the playoffs, teams shorten their rotations and play their star players more minutes. Thus a person who averaged less shots in the regular season can get more in the postseason.

Plus in the postseason a coach will ride a player who is on a hot streak. What is sustainable in a 20 game run is not sustainable in an 82 game season. NVE was on a hot streak and got a lot of shots.

But my explanation is probably wasted.

You still havn't explained why Jamison can't get the second most shots on the team coming off the bench. Good luck.

Also... explain to me how Jamison got the most shots in the Utah game even though he came off the bench. Also, explain to me why Nick Van Exel can get more shots in the playoffs because he was hot... but Jamison can't get more shots in the regular season.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:12 PM   #22
Max Power
Banned

I knew I was wasting my time...
Old 11-03-2003, 10:15 PM   #23
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

That is what I thought.

Next time if you are going to start a silly argument because you were wrong and affraid to admit it, at least do it in PM rather than mucking up the boards with it.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:17 PM   #24
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
That is what I thought.

Next time if you are going to start a silly argument because you were wrong and affraid to admit it, at least do it in PM rather than mucking up the boards with it.
I'm particular about the quality of people that I exchange pms with. Sorry but you don't qualify. Maybe if you've learned a thing or two.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:20 PM   #25
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
Maybe if you've learned a thing or two. - Maxloser
Brilliant. I would use this quote for my sig if the spot wasn't already taken.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:34 PM   #26
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Can we please get the thread back on topic. Take it to PM's.