Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-14-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting Comments from Nellie on Damp(Article)

How dare you!
Mavs Disjointed In Dampier Debut

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
The Mavs struggled in many ways in the exhibition opener at New Orleans on Wednesday. But beyond the turnovers and the disjointedness and the 94-87 loss is a negative that should be turned into a positive: the care and feeding of Erick Dampier.
"Sometimes you forget to look under the hoop," said Dirk Nowitzki of his new 6-11 teammate. "You're not used to someone being down there that big."
At least not someone who has Dampier’s solid offensive prowess and almost-dominant inside presence.
As Damp told us a few days ago, “I think I’m a very good defensive player. A very good shot-blocker. A very good rebounder. I don’t need the ball to be effective, but I will work hard to get open, and I can score.’’
If Erick Dampier sounds like a guy who is unselfish and eager to please because of how much he craves acceptance. … well, you now have a feel for Erick Dampier, and the care and feeding of him.
"I'm trying to figure out the best way to use him," Mavs coach Don Nelson said of Dampier. "I don't think he's going to be a 20-point scorer. He's not a Shaq -- somebody you can just throw the ball to and score in there. …’’
He doesn’t need to score 20 a game, and Nellie is right about Erick’s limitations. But in this game, Dampier did score 10 points (on 3-of-5 shooting) in 22 minutes. So more minutes will equal some more points. More important, though, is making certain Dampier has a comfort zone, that he feels respected, that he knows the organization is on his side.
(Frankly, Nellie, we – and he – could probably do without the “He’s Not Shaq’’ approach. Can’t figure out how that does anything to let the guy know you have confidence in him.)
Dampier doesn’t need the ball nearly as much as he needs respect, and needs to be trusted. Negative feedback (especially the suggestion that he is not trying, mistaking his mellowness for aloofness) frustrates him.
You can sense the disappointment and the distrust Dampier feels about his days in Golden State, where he wasn’t given consistent minutes, where he was lied to about his contract, where he was made a scapegoat, and where (we hear) he may even believe that the Warriors screwed up a surgery or two.
Conversely, you can sense the elation he feels about being in Dallas, where the Southern Gentleman from Mississippi feels at home. The Mavs need to work hard – getting the ball to him when he’s open on-court, knowing how to figuratively embrace him off-court – to keep that feeling going.
We don’t like the fact that Damp had four turnovers in this game. We don’t like the fact that the team totaled 23 turnovers. Nor do we like the shooting struggles, keyed by Dirk missing 11 of his 16 shots.
And of course, we’re never fond of a loss.
But we like Dirk’s court vision here, because he sees the importance of making certain the “He’s Not Shaq’’ center is nevertheless sometimes treated as if he is.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2004, 10:45 AM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Interesting Comments from Nellie on Damp(Article)

Abdul-Wahad denies Mavs' claims

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS - As far as Mavericks coach Don Nelson is concerned, Tariq Abdul-Wahad isn't a part of the team. The veteran swingman, who's on the official roster, openly challenged the organization's integrity in dealing with his injured left knee.

On his French-language Web site, Abdul-Wahad accused the team of having an agenda when it came to tests on the knee. Abdul-Wahad, who spent all of last season and most of the previous season on the injured list with tendinitis, maintains he is physically able to play.

"The Mavs made me go through an extreme medical exam with one objective: so they can declare me ineligible to play basketball," Abdul-Wahad declared on the site. "That is the objective they have been going after for two years."

Mavs owner Mark Cuban disputed that claim.

"Our doctors won't clear him to play," Cuban said. "We let him come back before when he wasn't cleared and he couldn't play. His knee would swell. He had a year to rest, he came back and our doctor said his knees had gotten worse."

Cuban said the team has contacted the league to explore its options. Independent doctors tested Abdul-Wahad two weeks ago and the team is awaiting the results, which could have a bearing on the remainder of his contract.

Abdul-Wahad has three years and approximately $22 million left on his deal. Fifty percent of his salary for next season is guaranteed and it dips to 25 percent for the final season. If Abdul-Wahad agrees to a buyout, the Mavs would clear up a needed roster spot.

Abdul-Wahad, believed to be in France, on his site added: "Don Nelson called me into his office and told me that I will never play for him. I didn't get any rational explanation for what was going on."

Nelson doesn't remember such a conversation.

"I might have said that I wasn't going to play him again that season," Nelson said before Wednesday's preseason opener against New Orleans.

The Mavs coach was more blunt when asked if he considered Abdul-Wahad a part of the team.

"He's not in training camp," Nelson said, "so the answer is no."

Finding Dampier

Having Erick Dampier in the middle is an adjustment in more ways than one. For a team that hasn't had a top-flight center in recent memory, remembering he's down there isn't second nature.

"Sometimes you forget to look under the hoop," Dirk Nowitzki said after the Mavs' 94-87 loss to New Orleans in the preseason opener. "You're not used to someone being down there that big."

Dampier had 10 points and four rebounds in his 22-minute debut. He also had four turnovers, five fouls and didn't block a shot.

"I'm trying to figure out the best way to use him," Mavs coach Don Nelson said. "I don't think he's going to be a 20-point scorer. He's not a Shaq -- somebody you can just throw the ball to and score in there.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Well...if Damp puts up numbers Raef did, the year after we signed him to his contract....you can be sure that Nellie won't be head coach anymore. I'm sorry, but we've had a week and a half now, and Nelson is like "well we don't know what to do with him" I honestly believe now that Nelson just doesn't have a clue how to use a center anymore. I don't want to hear crud about him not being shaq. Well Finley isn't Jordan and Dirk isn't Bird. Your point Nellie? Damp can score just fine. 3-5? Sounds above 50% to me, thanks Nellie. Anyways, it is just one pre-season game, but Nellie could just say "I have complete confidence in Damp" and not "he ain't no Shaq".....hey Nellie, you're no Phil Jackson either.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:11 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Interesting Comments from Nellie on Damp(Article)

Quote:
Well...if Damp puts up numbers Raef did, the year after we signed him to his contract....you can be sure that Nellie won't be head coach anymore. I'm sorry, but we've had a week and a half now, and Nelson is like "well we don't know what to do with him" I honestly believe now that Nelson just doesn't have a clue how to use a center anymore. I don't want to hear crud about him not being shaq. Well Finley isn't Jordan and Dirk isn't Bird. Your point Nellie? Damp can score just fine. 3-5? Sounds above 50% to me, thanks Nellie. Anyways, it is just one pre-season game, but Nellie could just say "I have complete confidence in Damp" and not "he ain't no Shaq".....hey Nellie, you're no Phil Jackson either.
Let's let Nellie fail to utilize him correctly before the lynch mob comes out, please. One could argue that no coach in the history of the game has ever had a frontcourt quite like the one we have now. Reports indicate that most of the work in practice has been on defense, so I'm not entirely shocked that the coaching staff isn't completely set on the specifics of how to best make the pieces fit offensively.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

With Nellie's misuse of the roster last year, the lynch mob should be out and ready to pounce. But I don't expect Nellie to fail this season.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With Nellie's misuse of the roster last year, the lynch mob should be out and ready to pounce. But I don't expect Nellie to fail this season.
The lynch mob should be chilling out at least until the regular season starts. Freak outs at this point are comically premature.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:25 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the lynch mob shouldn't overreact to the preseason........give Nellie a little time into the regular season to see what he's going to do with this roster.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
The lynch mob should be chilling out at least until the regular season starts. Freak outs at this point are comically premature.
So you are in favor of banning premature eject-ulations?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:32 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly am, Doc. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:52 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a huge supporter of Dampier, grndmaster. I hope those freak outs don't apply to me. I'm simply using what Nellie is saying about Damp against him. I'm sorry if I don't want to wait til mid season to say "we aren't using our pieces correctly." Look, we want to get off on the right foot right? Musselmen stated clearly that we need confidence in Dampier. I just don't want to see Nelson lose faith in Dampier quickly. I mean he did state that DJ won't play if he doesn't learn the plays, yet the guy can hardly speak english. I've always had a feeling Nellie doesn't like bigs, and his past with the Mavs proves it. So therefore, it's not freaking out, but stating that Nellie just needs to use tons of optimism with our 70 million dollar center.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:30 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

There will be no need for anything more than a "mob" of one. Cuban will have the noose ready if Nellie doesn't get this team playing.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-14-2004, 05:34 PM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
I just don't want to see Nelson lose faith in Dampier quickly.
I'm with you there. I think the guy can help us, and he needs to be trusted with minutes and given every opportunity to live up to his contract. If things don't work out that way I'll be in line calling for Nellie's head. I just don't see that Nellie's really done anything wrong yet. Saying he hasn't figured out the best way to use Damp at this stage doesn't concern or surprise me much. Saying that Damp isn't Shaq on offense is, while perhaps a bit unnecessary, nonetheless true. And as for DJ, if he can't learn the plays I agree he should sit on the bench until he gets them down.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:50 PM   #13
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I still think Don's instincts will eventually restrict Dampier's minutes to about 20 a game, and that, "he's no Shaq" comment just confirms that for me. If Damp could hit an outside jump-shot things might be different, but don't be surprised if Damp's minutes start to plummet sometime about 4-6 weeks into the season.

Now, I can't imagine that his playing time will ever fall below the 18-20 mpg range, principally because Big Don would probably lose his job if that happened, but once Nellie comes to believe that keeping Damp on the court is hurting our ability to score, I would bet a fair amount that it will become a rare occasion when we see Big Whistle give Damp anywhere close to the 32.5 minutes per game he averaged last year, and that's going to dump a gallon of ice-water on any fan's dreams that Damp can produce the kinds of big double-doubles that he was able to sometimes produce for Golden State in 03-04(15pt, 15 reb type nights)...

Old 10-15-2004, 12:35 AM   #14
sike
The Preacha

if Don puts Damp at 20 a game, he will be gone fast.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:35 AM   #15
sike
The Preacha

dp

Old 10-15-2004, 12:54 AM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

If Nellie doesn't give Damp at least the minutes that Antoine "I really suck" Walker got the first couple of months of the seaon to prove himself, then Nellie should be out the door on his @$$ by Jan. 1. 20 minutes a game just flat out won't cut it. Damp needs at least 25 a night and probably closer to 30. And Nellie starts sitting Damp to play small ball, then Cubes has to make a move. I'm willing to give Don a few weeks into the regular season before I start calling for his head, but after last season Nellie needs to show definite improvement as a coach or he needs to be replaced.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:04 AM   #17
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
if Don puts Damp at 20 a game, he will be gone fast.
Ain't that the truth. Damp needs to see a consistent 28+ mpg with the possible exception of nights when he gets into early foul trouble; and I really do think Nellie knows that his job depends on that happening.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:56 AM   #18
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Impressed by the level of wisdom in this thread.

Dear Coach Nelson,

Telling the world that a particular player is not equivalent the most dominant player in the game and therefore you don't know what to do with him is not a positive indicator of your coaching prowess.

But you guys see it, right? The comparison to Shaq. You think that was anything but intentional? He's trying to throw Cuban under the bus already. Hell, I am not convinced he isn't trying to sabotage his own son's career. He's saying that he wanted Shaq and that it isn't his fault he doesn't have him and that if the team sucks it is Cuban's fault.

Or maybe I am reading too much into a four word sentence.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:13 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

There's one thing we do know for sure....Nellie tries harder than the average coach to cover his own ass.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:15 AM   #20
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Ain't that the truth.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:46 AM   #21
Dooby
Diamond Member

The day this becomes untrue is the day I'll stop re-posting it.

Quote:
Nellie-master of the undersell. If Dirk is an MVP candidate, he opens himself up to criticism when he doesn't force-feed the ball to him. If Nellie gives his team props, he opens himself up to criticism when they lose. If nellie doesn't say this team is overacheiving, he opens himself up to criticism when they underacheive.

As long as Nellie lowers expectations, he won't be chastised for failing to meet them.

And if everybody sucks, then Nellie is a genius.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:53 AM   #22
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I have the feeling, dooby, that one way or another, this year will be the last year you get to post that.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:15 PM   #23
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
I have the feeling, dooby, that one way or another, this year will be the last year you get to post that.
Nah, when Nellie gets canned and gets re-hired by the Warriors, I'll start posting it on those boards.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:42 PM   #24
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Nah, when Nellie gets canned and gets re-hired by the Warriors, I'll start posting it on those boards.
now thats persistance

Old 10-16-2004, 03:29 AM   #25
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Cuban and Nellie already had a "little talk" this offseason. Infact todays DMN article states that Nellie promised to be more "Buck" like (when his team was considered a top defensive team almost yearly" ..... Nellie's head is already severed and the only way Cubes calls 911 to save him is if Nellie takes this team to the finals this year.