Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-22-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
LoveMyMavs14

LoveMyMavs14 is on a distinguished road
Default Please tell me this is a typo...

"The Mavericks are one of the more realistic landing spots for O'Neal, who will make $27.7 million next season, because they have the high-salaried stars necessary to make such a deal, and their owner, Mark Cuban, is a big spender. According to the Eastern Conference executive, Dallas is offering Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash for O'Neal. The Nets, who would be willing to part with Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles, are among the clubs pursuing O'Neal."
LoveMyMavs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Please tell me this is a typo...

Where'd you get that from? A deal like that doesn't even come close to working capwise. Sounds made up.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:02 PM   #3
LoveMyMavs14

Default RE:Please tell me this is a typo...

Guess!

The ever-reliable New York Times[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2004, 11:04 PM   #4
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Where else. Where else indeed.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:05 PM   #5
LoveMyMavs14

Still....where there's smoke their (could be) fire. I don't like those things being out there.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:09 PM   #6
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

That would be very scary. LA with nash kobe and Dirk holy crap.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:20 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Is it the medias job to assume the Mavs will break up this year or is it that they want us to break up? You'd think otherwise with us being one of the mroe exciting teams in teh league but why all of these trades that are onesided for the other team?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:23 PM   #8
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

More of the same. The things that the media hears, they hear for a reason. Someone wants this idea that the Mavs would trade Dirk and Nash out in public. Who could that be? I'll give you two guesses, and either could be right.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:33 PM   #9
basketball jonessss

basketball jonessss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That would be very scary. LA with nash kobe and Dirk holy crap.
It would not take long for Dirk to be considered a top 4 player. People would start realizing that Dirk can score the same amount of points as Kobe shooting ten less times. Not to mention the 9 plus boards.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:03 AM   #10
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Yeah that NYTimes piece was terrible. Such trash writing.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:12 AM   #11
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Tmac better be in that deal then.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:02 AM   #12
FullBurst41

FullBurst41 is on a distinguished road

Dirk playing on the same team as Kobe? Tomjanovich better get the fire extinguisher.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:56 AM   #13
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: LoveMyMavs14
"The Mavericks are one of the more realistic landing spots for O'Neal, who will make $27.7 million next season, because they have the high-salaried stars necessary to make such a deal, and their owner, Mark Cuban, is a big spender. According to the Eastern Conference executive, Dallas is offering Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash for O'Neal. The Nets, who would be willing to part with Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles, are among the clubs pursuing O'Neal."
This would really go a ong way to turning the Lakers into the current Mavs and the Mavs into less than what the current Lakers.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Dunham and Miller were discussing this. And of course, junior miller was saying he'd do this in a heartbeat. And, of course, Junior is an idiot.

It really is very simple how this got started. If you read Stein's column from yesterday quickly, it comes across as if Dallas is offering Dirk and Nash-if you read it carefully, it doesn't, but if you don't pay attention, you can get confused. Well, some eastern conference GM (or lackey who passed it onto a GM) read it the wrong way and took it as true. Then the NY times came calling and it was repeated as fact. Well, the NY Times won't print that it got it from ESPN, or from a GM reading ESPN, so it reports that the eastern conference GM heard it from ... somewhere.

Want proof? Look at these paragraphs from Stein. They are the same third paragraph from the same article, just updated a few hours later.

<u>Original Story:</u>
Quote:
Mavericks sources, meanwhile, maintain that Nowitzki is off-limits. Point guard Steve Nash, who will be a free agent July 1, would have to agree to join the Lakers in a sign-and-trade if included in an O'Neal deal. Asked specifically about Nowitzki at a charity news conference on Monday, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said: "I'd be hard-pressed to see us trading Dirk. Dirk is as close to untouchable as you can get."
<u>Updated a few hours later to read:</u>
Quote:
Mavericks sources, meanwhile, maintain that Nowitzki is likely off-limits, though Mavericks owner Mark Cuban isn't ruling out trading Nowitzki as an option. Even if the Mavericks could convince the Lakers to accept a package that leads with point guard Steve Nash, instead of Nowitzki, Nash would have to agree to join L.A. in a sign-and-trade because he's a free agent as of July 1.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:35 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I stopped reading at "NYT"
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:16 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Amazing how much crap the NY Times can fit into each and every square inch of it's worthless rag of a paper.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:33 PM   #17
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Have they reported the Charlie Ward, Kurt Thomas for Shaq deal yet? It makes all sorts of sense for the Lakers. just ask em.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:36 PM   #18
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

btw way, i found it interesting that an "EASTERN CONFERENCE EXEC." is commenting on 2 Western conferance teams and what is exactly being offered. But now that i think about it, it was probobley the janitorial executive of Madison Square Garden.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:58 PM   #19
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

I want both Nash and Nowitzki here next season. Screw Shaq, I'd rather be center-less than point guard-less. If we can find a way to land Shaq here keeping Steve and Dirk here, that would be sweet. But no way we part with Nash, no way.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote