Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default (Final) GDT: Mavs vs Suns 01/31/16 6:00pm CT

If the Dallas Mavericks are to improve their position in the Western Conference, they know they'll need to take advantage of an upcoming glut of home games.

They draw another favorable matchup in Sunday night's meeting with a decimated Phoenix Suns team that's yet to win on the road in 2016.

Currently 1 1/2 games behind fifth-place Memphis and five back of the Los Angeles Clippers for fourth, Dallas (27-22) has a chance to gain some ground during an 18-game stretch in which it plays 14 times at American Airlines Center, where it's won nine of 12.

"It's an important stand for us," guard Deron Williams said. "We've only got a couple one-game trips in the next month or so. We've got to make the most of this opportunity."

The Mavericks got the stretch off to a good start with Friday's 91-79 win over lowly Brooklyn, continuing their recent trend of beating the weaker opponents on the schedule. In having split its last six games, Dallas owns victories over the Nets, Minnesota and the Los Angeles Lakers -- teams that are a combined 35-110 -- while losing to contenders Oklahoma City, Houston and Golden State.

Phoenix (14-34) qualifies as a soft spot -- it's a league-worst 2-18 since Dec. 20 and 4-21 on the road. The Suns have lost 13 straight outside Arizona, 12 by double-digits.

While defending teams has been a season-long problem, injuries to Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight have led to issues on the offensive end as well. The Suns are averaging 92.6 points over their last seven games and 18.3 turnovers over the past six.

After committing 23 giveaways in Wednesday's 113-95 loss at Cleveland, Phoenix had 16 in Friday's 102-84 defeat to New York to fall to 0-3 on its four-game trip.

"You've got no chance when you turn the ball over," coach Jeff Hornacek said. "I don't know, when I look at the turnovers they seem like basic plays we don't even complete. If you can't complete the basic plays, you're in for some long nights."

Bledsoe underwent season-ending knee surgery Dec. 29 and Knight will miss a sixth straight with a groin strain, leaving the backcourt in the hands of youngsters Devin Booker and Archie Goodwin, who have provided mixed results.

Booker is averaging 20.0 points over his last six games after recording 21 against the Knicks. Goodwin averaged 23.3 over a three-game stretch capped by an 11-of-15, 26-point effort Tuesday in Philadelphia, but he's gone 6 of 25 from the field while totaling 18 points in the past two.

With Williams, shooting 27.9 percent over his last four, and Wesley Matthews -- averaging 6.7 points in his last three -- both slumping, Chandler Parsons has carried Dallas' offense of late. The forward is averaging 24.3 points over a six-game span and gone 26 of 44 from 3-point range in his last eight.

Parsons posted his first double-double of the season with 19 points and 10 rebounds against Brooklyn, while Zaza Pachulia had 16 points and 12 rebounds after missing the previous three games with a sore Achilles.

"He's a walking double-double," Parsons said. "It's definitely good to have him back and get our normal starting lineup again."

Raymond Felton has totaled 35 points in Dallas' two wins over Phoenix this season, the last a 104-94 victory Dec. 14 that began the Suns' road skid. The Mavericks recorded a 111-95 win in Phoenix in the Oct. 28 opener.

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=400828604

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

Today's, sunset is symbolic in so many ways... the sun sets for the Sun-set who lose by a score identical to the number of miles between Dallas and the Sun, 92,955,807 points... and there is the sunset of this great forum... a bitter sweet day...

Mavs - 125
Sun-set - 88

* I sincerely thank Mr. DJB for making this my weekly stress-relief therapy, a place to read, enjoy, and forget about my job and students for a while.

Thank you all moderators and administrators for keeping this a fun and respectful place to be, no matter the nationality, noobie level, or favorite player (JJB in my particular case, if anyone did not notice before...).

Thank you all forum members for keeping this place CLASSY... I doubt that wherever I end up lurking (more than posting) I will find such an entertaining, creative, and professional group of people, a very cool global community, joined by the same love for a great team called the Dallas Mavs!

Cheers, blessings, and QUE VIVAN LOS MAVS!!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

I summon the skull of Roy Tarpley for some final words of encouragement

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

The last GDT

Forum needs to go out with a bang with a big Mavs win. Dirk will drop 25+, calling it!
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Bittersweet. CGM posts can't go on on twitter. Not the same affect.

Whoever runs dallas-mavs on twitter, maybe copy and paste everyone's handle there for the convenience in case there's a chamge of heart by some later down the road.

Let's go mavs. Want to see Wes do work offensively
Old 01-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Whoever runs dallas-mavs on twitter, maybe copy and paste everyone's handle there for the convenience in case there's a chamge of heart by some later down the road.
Sike mostly runs that account, but I've got all of that info backed up in a document.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-31-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Sike mostly runs that account, but I've got all of that info backed up in a document.
Oh okay so it's saved somewhere good to know in case people change their mind
Old 01-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs by 40
Tarpley lends his mojo
Eddie Najera dresses and has a quadruple double
We all end the game so happy we don't mind our site is being flushed down the toilet
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk sitting
Old 01-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #10
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Dirk sitting
Not quite the farewell we were looking forward to, but it makes good basketball sense...

Old 01-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Dirk sitting
Doesn't he know this is the last day this forum will be around?!
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #12
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
He knows. That's why he's sitting. Don't be surprised if some "random" troll shows up and during the game Dirk looks only at his phone.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Dirk will be doing all the color commentary instead, just for DM.com
Old 01-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #14
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Suns have been rolling with Tyson and Len to start games. I wonder if we will go small or try to match them size wise

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.

Last edited by Skywalker; 01-31-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #15
Underdog

@bobbykaralla: Chandler Parsons is starting at the 4 tonight. Raymond Felton is in for Dirk Nowitzki.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:00 PM   #16
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Tyson Chandler on Zaza Pachulia, his replacement as the Mavs' starting center: "I love Zaza. I think Zaza his entire career has been a great center. Now he's in a situation where he's around vets and a great coaching staff to where you can just go out there and do your job. It's funny. Last year when I was here, I told them, You need to go get Zaza so we can have a one-two punch, so he can be my backup.'" With a laugh, Chandler added, "You know how that s--- goes." - Tim MacMahon

Quote:
Old 01-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #17
Skywalker
Diamond Member

link: http://www.101livesportsvideos.com/v...s-mavericks-2/

Quote:

Last edited by Skywalker; 01-31-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:05 PM   #18
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Tyson Chandler on Zaza Pachulia, his replacement as the Mavs' starting center: "I love Zaza. I think Zaza his entire career has been a great center. Now he's in a situation where he's around vets and a great coaching staff to where you can just go out there and do your job. It's funny. Last year when I was here, I told them, You need to go get Zaza so we can have a one-two punch, so he can be my backup.'" With a laugh, Chandler added, "You know how that s--- goes." - Tim MacMahon
Lol, I just posted that in the Zaza thread... Ty and Zaza are easily 2 of my favorite Mavs centers ever.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:10 PM   #19
Underdog

@tim_cato: Big ovation for Tyson Chandler when announced in the starting five. Didn't get one last trip to Dallas because he came off the bench.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:12 PM   #20
Underdog

Zaza with the steal and go-ahead basket... Even made a sweet little pass fake.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-31-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:13 PM   #21
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Go Mavs for the last time on here
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #22
Underdog

Sloppy lineup.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-31-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #23
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly the Mavs are just depressed that the site is closing. Can't blame them.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #24
Underdog

Barea just barely got that one in there... Sly!

Last edited by Underdog; 01-31-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #25
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Zaza has hands like Jason Kidd. The ball seems to stick to them when he grabs it.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #26
Cerberus

Cerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to behold

So this is the last time huh? LET'S GO MAVS!!!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:02 PM   #27
Underdog

Holy crap, Parsons!

Old 01-31-2016, 08:05 PM   #28
Underdog

Holy balls, D-Willy...

Old 01-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #29
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Dwill needed a game like this, he's been in a bad way recently.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #30
Underdog

Not the worst half of basketball, considering Dirk is sidelined... Let's not blow Q3.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #31
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

I would have liked to have heard that conversation between Hornacek and Dwill.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #32
Underdog

Zaza has such a light touch.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #33
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Team needs to play with urgency
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #34
TheSportyChannel
Banned

TheSportyChannel will become famous soon enoughTheSportyChannel will become famous soon enough

This is how Mavs basketball will be like once Dirk retires. Barely competing against the worst teams of the west like the Suns. No one on the mavs other than Dirk is a franchise player.

Suns 69 Mavs 68 end of the 3rd quarter.

Last edited by TheSportyChannel; 01-31-2016 at 08:52 PM.
TheSportyChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Man, those third quarters
Old 01-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #36
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

4th quarter is going to be a bloodbath
Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #37
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Not the worst half of basketball, considering Dirk is sidelined... Let's not blow Q3.
Sigh.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #38
TheSportyChannel
Banned

TheSportyChannel will become famous soon enoughTheSportyChannel will become famous soon enough

lol Parsons with the wide open layup miss. 73-68 Suns

Last edited by TheSportyChannel; 01-31-2016 at 08:54 PM.
TheSportyChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #39
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSportyChannel View Post
This is how Mavs basketball will be like once Dirk retires. Barely competing against the worst teams of the west like the Suns. No one on the mavs other than Dirk is a franchise player.

Suns 69 Mavs 68 end of the 3rd quarter.

Get that crap out of here tonight

Quote:
Old 01-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #40
10AMGareDuNord
Banned

10AMGareDuNord will become famous soon enough10AMGareDuNord will become famous soon enough

Charlie V with a nice -13 in 10 minutes. I know Dirk is out, but RC has to stop playing this guy. It sucks, because Powell has massively regressed, but I'd rather see him out there than Charlie V. He just kills the team on both ends every second he's on the floor.
10AMGareDuNord is offline   Reply With Quote