Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-24-2002, 11:38 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

For people that follow the making of movies, there are few projects that scare the hell out of them like Batman v. Superman. It has been around for years and never been made. There are a dozen scripts out there and some of them are good and some of them suck. It is hoped that it would revive, not one, but two franchises.

Well the damn thing went into pre-production a couple of weeks ago without warning and scared the crap out of everybody. Looks like they reached a decision on who would play the leads. Surprisingly not terrible choices.

Batman (Colin Farrell)

Superman (Jude Law)

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2002, 11:40 AM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

No more Nick Cage as Superman? Or is that for the other Superman movie (not the Superman vs. Batman flick).
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 11:43 AM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

That was the other Tim Burton directed Death of Superman movie. From what I remember, the studios were going to go for it until they saw test footage of Nicholas Cage wearing the costume. I'd love to see how rediculous he looked.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 07-24-2002, 12:05 PM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Yes, and this isn't the new Batman either. "Batman: year one" should come out next year.

http://www.upcomingmovies.com/batmanyearone.html

Directed by Darren Aronofsky, which should be very interesting.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 12:53 PM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

colin farrel is awesome... he better bulk up a bit...

and jude law looks like he'd make a great superman. very... i don't know... rigid and stoic looking.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:54 PM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Nope. It is the same movie. The link you provided says they were probably going to scrap Batman: Year One for Batman v. Superman.

Old 07-24-2002, 12:55 PM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

who is directing it? the guy that did perfetc storm, right?

and i also heard that this movie will be released the same year as "alien vs. predator" and "jason vs. freddy" the year of the "VS."

and i also heard there will be 3 villains and two female leads. i want jennifer connoly in it somewhere! jennifer connoly! i don't know as who, but i love her...
Old 07-24-2002, 01:07 PM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Wolfgang Petersen (Air Force One and The Perfect Storm) will direct.

Is the Freddy v. Jason thing actually going to happen? I haven't heard.

The Alien v. Predator thing is a reality, I read that the script sucks. Don't get excited.

Old 07-24-2002, 01:17 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh, definitely not excited about the other vs. movies...

but i wish the batman/superman one had a different title...

the "batman vs. superman" title just sounds cheesy
Old 07-24-2002, 02:53 PM   #10
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

this movie is a joke, to still from Conan:

"Superman has laser vision, super strength, bullets don't hurt him, he can fly. Batman, well, he works out a lot and has a utility belt!"
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 02:55 PM   #11
Dirk77
Banned

lol, steal, not still.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:26 PM   #12
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

My friends and I were talking about this the other day.
Superman will kick his arse. It's not really a fair battle.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 05:44 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

What about bat-kryptonite?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 05:57 PM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

Fastest Post in the West!

Old 07-24-2002, 05:59 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Superman got duped. Seriously though...anyone have any REAL reviews/insight on this movie?
Old 07-24-2002, 06:20 PM   #16
veruca salt
Platinum Member

probably not.

what genre do you think it'll be?

Smile like you mean it
Old 07-24-2002, 08:22 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< My friends and I were talking about this the other day.
Superman will kick his arse. It's not really a fair battle.
>>

Read the Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. One of the best comic stories of all time. I hope it doesn't ruin the ending but Batman wins.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:45 PM   #18
veruca salt
Platinum Member

yeah well that's one someone pointed out in our conversation.
I've actually rad a bit of it.
i like batman more than superman.
superman blows. but maybe jude law can make him cool in my eyes.

Smile like you mean it
Old 07-24-2002, 09:14 PM   #19
Dirk77
Banned

Clark Kent= gay guy w/ glasses
Superman= gay guy with no glasses [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I alway's hated that!! It's pretty damn obvious!
Old 07-24-2002, 09:34 PM   #20
veruca salt
Platinum Member

i didn't realise he was gay.
i was always under the impression he had a little
thing for Lois Lane. I guess i must've read into it wrong.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-19-2002, 02:47 PM   #21
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

As a huge Batman fan, I worry about this project. It is an extreme risk on DC's part to go through with a concept like this with the Marvel movies doing so well. This movie has a possibility of being very cool or very ridiculous. Personaly, I would have stuck with Batman: Year One...it's hard to go wrong with a Frank Miller classic. I hope DC knows what it is doing with this.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:43 PM   #22
Dooby
Diamond Member

This project is starting to implode. Jude Law has bailed because he did not want to commit to a sequel to this film without seeing a script first. So in his place they were going to get Josh Hartnet. Now, there are rumblings that this movie has been halted.

They may even go back to making the original Superman Lives movie, which would be directed by McG (he directed Charlie's Angels (BTW, I think he is a spare)). No rumoured star yet. This was the movie that originally was going to star Nicholas Cage and be directed by Tim Burton. The studio canned the film when they saw what Cage looked like in the Superman costume.

Old 08-19-2002, 04:02 PM   #23
Nellie
Golden Member

<< The studio canned the film when they saw what Cage looked like in the Superman costume. >>

LOL...I would too.

It's too bad that WB didn't stick with Burton. Gay Joel made a mockery of the franchise and pissed me off extremely. I don't even observe the last two Batman films as even existing. I would love to see Kevin Smith do a Batman film.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:06 PM   #24
Nellie
Golden Member

<< Read the Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. One of the best comic stories of all time. I hope it doesn't ruin the ending but Batman wins. >>

Absolutley the second best comic story of all time...only Watchmen beats it. And yes, Batman could beat Supes with preperation and planning. On the fly however would be a mismatch.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:21 PM   #25
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< It's too bad that WB didn't stick with Burton. Gay Joel made a mockery of the franchise and pissed me off extremely. I don't even observe the last two Batman films as even existing. I would love to see Kevin Smith do a Batman film. >>

Well, I think Batman II (Returns?) was meandering and awful. The Penguin was a nut, but did he have to be grotesque too? Schumacker, however, forever ruined the franchise in a way that few directors could.

If it were me, I would have treated Batman like the Alien films and allowed different directors to take the material where they wanted. That is how we got the greatness of James Cameron's &quot;Aliens&quot;.

They really should have stuck to a single villain per film.

Old 08-19-2002, 04:28 PM   #26
Nellie
Golden Member

<< Well, I think Batman II (Returns?) was meandering and awful. The Penguin was a nut, but did he have to be grotesque too? They really should have stuck to a single villain per film. >>

There is definitely a case here, Batman Returns was not that great. But because of the man-crush I have on Burton, I give him a pass. I firmly believe that if WB hadn't booted him, he would have recovered the glory of the first film with the third.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:41 PM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< There is definitely a case here, Batman Returns was not that great. But because of the man-crush I have on Burton, I give him a pass. I firmly believe that if WB hadn't booted him, he would have recovered the glory of the first film with the third. >>

Boy, do I think you are wrong there. Burton is far too easily distracted for franchise work. He uses his good ideas for the first film and then lets his mind wander. He needs to be reigned in as a filmmaker or else he becomes tangential.

Old 08-19-2002, 05:07 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

man-crush?

Old 08-19-2002, 05:11 PM   #29
Dooby
Diamond Member

From the Ticktionary at www.theticket.com: Man Crush=One male being in awe of another male for any reason.

For example, Murph has a man-crush on Dirk.

Old 08-19-2002, 11:25 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

I be edumacated. Thanks doobs.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:55 AM   #31
Dooby
Diamond Member

Batman v. Superman has officially been shelved. For at least 2 years as the director, Wolfgang Petterson, can direct something else.

Superman Lives! is a go. The script was written by J.J. Abrams who created Alias. The studio is trying to get McG out as director though, so that they can start production immediately. McG is currently committed to filming Charlies Angels 2. But Abrams wrote the script with and for McG so the studio may have to capitulate.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:05 AM   #32
Nellie
Golden Member

What is your source on this?
Old 08-20-2002, 12:34 PM   #33
Dooby
Diamond Member

Corona's Coming Attractions, Filmforce and Dark Horizons.