Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-14-2002, 10:19 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice sentiment...too little too late? Chime in...

Friday, June 14
Updated: June 14, 12:34 PM ET

Martin says emotions got the best of him

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESNP.com news services

After meeting with New Jersey Nets coach Byron Scott and Nets President Rod Thorn, emotional forward Kenyon Martin offered an apology for his remarks critical of teammates made immediately after the Los Angeles Lakers' championship sweep.

"I said some things last night that I probably shouldn't have said," Martin said. "I was a little disappointed, so the emotions got over me a little bit."

Martin had criticized teammates, without using names, who he felt had not played hard enough in Game 4's 113-107 loss on Wednesday. Martin had a career night, leading the Nets with 35 points and 11 rebounds.

Thorn and Scott both made it clear Martin's comments were not acceptable.

"I just didn't think you should say it publicly," Thorn said. "I think that was emotion speaking. He obviously was at a very high pitch and played very, very hard. Some guys didn't play particularly well, I don't think it was from a lack of playing hard."

Said Scott: "I just wanted to make him aware that we don't need that, period. Obviously, I wanted more from a few guys last night. We didn't get it."

Martin seemed to implicate teammates Keith Van Horn and Kerry Kittles when he said the proof that some players didn't play with heart could be found in the stat sheet. Van Horn shot 3 of 7 in Game 4 for seven points, while Kittles was 4-for-10 with 11 points.

"It's the most important game of our lives and people went and they just didn't bring it," Martin said Wednesday night.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2002, 10:57 PM   #2
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Nice sentiment...too little too late? Chime in... >>

I think he should have stuck with what he said. Never apologize for the truth.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:59 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think he did the right thing because he has to play with those guys....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 11:09 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i think kenyon martin will never live up to his draft position
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:20 PM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Disgusting to see this half-a$sed finger-pointing by Martin. He is just confirming his status as a no-brain, no-class, big-mouthed, second-tier talent LOSER. Looks like he must've been looking across the Hudson for 'leadership' lessons from LaTrine. NO WAY do you go out and trash your teammate(s) like that after being hopelessly outclassed by the Lakers.

To a man, the Nets played as if they didn't have a snowball's chance in hell to take a game from the Lakers. Martin can do all the macho-never-say-die bravado and punk posturing that he wants to, but they never game close. Scoring a gunner's 35 points in the fourth game of a SWEEP is not 'showing heart', it's 'covering a$$'. Where the hell was HE in the first couple of games when they could possibly have made a series of it?

Aptly nicknamed, K-Mart is a discount-store talent, who will be lucky to see the NBA finals again. He's nothing more than a second-tier player who isn't even in the league's Top 10 at his own position, so he has plenty of improvement to make before he goes pointing the finger at anyone.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote