Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=LonghornDub;1143141]
Quote:
I have no idea what the first thing you wrote means. None whatsoever. "What I wanted to do"?
Shoot down players that people throw out there as possibilities for replacing Butler

Quote:
As for the rest, no, of course that's not the attitude. The attitude is, first, we see what Butler's timetable is. If it's not a whole-season injury, we are probably better off just waiting on him, unless some as-of-yet unapparent trade option presents itself.

Then, if it is a whole-season injury, we obviously have to look at our options, which unfortunately will almost surely be comprised entirely of players who don't fit the criteria you listed
You keep saying the criteria I listed..it's not that complicated, especially given a)Butlers style of play. b) IF he comes back this year he might not even be what he was before the injury.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
You keep saying the criteria I listed..it's not that complicated, especially given a)Butlers style of play. b) IF he comes back this year he might not even be what he was before the injury.
I don't know what you mean by "it's not that complicated." You listed some criteria, which I agree with. I asked who might be available that meets those criteria. You didn't answer, which is fine, but I'm not complicating the issue. It was a very simple question.

Yeah, we can trade Butler for just "someone." That may well be what we do if he's out for the year. But if there's some possibility he can return, we have to carefully consider whether we want to trade him for someone who does not meet those criteria you listed.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I don't know what you mean by "it's not that complicated." You listed some criteria, which I agree with. I asked who might be available that meets those criteria. You didn't answer, which is fine, but I'm not complicating the issue. It was a very simple question.

Yeah, we can trade Butler for just "someone." That may well be what we do if he's out for the year. But if there's some possibility he can return, we have to carefully consider whether we want to trade him for someone who does not meet those criteria you listed.
I did answer just not the one you wanted. I also didn't feel like being lambasted for throwing out names.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I did answer just not the one you wanted. I also didn't feel like being lambasted for throwing out names.
Well, no, you didn't. And I didn't "want" any particular answer, I just was hoping for something that actually responded to my question. If you had a name or two that would fulfill the criteria we talked about, I genuinely wanted to know.

If you don't care to answer, that's obviously your call, but don't make it out like you gave me a responsive answer and I rejected it.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Well, no, you didn't. And I didn't "want" any particular answer, I just was hoping for something that actually responded to my question. If you had a name or two that would fulfill the criteria we talked about, I genuinely wanted to know.

If you don't care to answer, that's obviously your call, but don't make it out like you gave me a responsive answer and I rejected it.

Let me settle your confusion. I didn't give you a responsive answer *because* you would have rejected it, any of them. Thats where it seemed like you were headed with your response originally. I thought you were just looking for an argument, not ideas for a resolution. In fact that did happen pretty quickly with the Stephen Jackson comment, You quickly hammered Mavs777. If I'm wrong sue me.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
LonghornDub

Quote:
Let me settle your confusion. I didn't give you a responsive answer *because* you would have rejected it, any of them. Thats where it seemed like you were headed with your response originally. I thought you were just looking for an argument, not ideas for a resolution. In fact that did happen pretty quickly with the Stephen Jackson comment, You quickly hammered Mavs777. If I'm wrong sue me.
I certainly was (and am) skeptical that you could name anybody. But that doesn't mean I was looking for an argument. Optimistically, I was hoping you could name someone I hadn't thought of. I miss things all the time.

And look, as far as Stephen Jackson (or more generally, being "lambasted" for naming players) goes, what do you expect? This isn't even directed at you in particular, but people name some downright silly trade targets. What's worse, people will often explicitly list the criteria we might be looking for (as you did), then name players who don't even come close to fitting those criteria. GMC just pointed out an instance of this happening.

Besides, much more important than what names you throw out there is how you back up those names. If you say, "I want Stephen Jackson because he's intimidating, tough, and not scared of big shots," you sound very persuasive. If you say, "I want Stephen Jackson because Caron takes too many jumpshots and is inefficient," you sound like you don't even know who Stephen Jackson is. Same thing with Iggy, Kevin Martin, or anyone else who's already been named. I'm sure as hell not going to "lambast" you for any name if you give a good reason or two why that name is a good option.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-03-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

[QUOTE=LonghornDub;1143201]
Quote:
I certainly was (and am) skeptical that you could name anybody. But that doesn't mean I was looking for an argument. Optimistically, I was hoping you could name someone I hadn't thought of. I miss things all the time.
Whats wrong with the names you thought of?

Quote:
And look, as far as Stephen Jackson (or more generally, being "lambasted" for naming players) goes, what do you expect? This isn't even directed at you in particular, but people name some downright silly trade targets. What's worse, people will often explicitly list the criteria we might be looking for (as you did), then name players who don't even come close to fitting those criteria. GMC just pointed out an instance of this happening.
I'll agree that there are people that do that. However, in this case there was a small criteria that I listed and then you say imo a sort of condescending manner "name a player that fits ..." and someone does just that and says Stephen Jackson, I think it's plenty safe to assume they are specifically talking about the previously mentioned criteria. I don't think in that instance he needed to restate what I just said to make it more clear.

Quote:
Besides, much more important than what names you throw out there is how you back up those names. If you say, "I want Stephen Jackson because he's intimidating, tough, and not scared of big shots," you sound very persuasive. If you say, "I want Stephen Jackson because Caron takes too many jumpshots and is inefficient," you sound like you don't even know who Stephen Jackson is. Same thing with Iggy, Kevin Martin, or anyone else who's already been named.
Concur

Tags
butlerrang, butler_is_done, lambasted rick41, suffering from p.e.