Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-29-2021, 05:49 PM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Donnie expects Luka to be a huge attraction for FA's moving forward

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/new...-donnie-nelson
Young superstar Luka Doncic is, in the eyes of Dallas Mavericks GM Donnie Nelson, about to be an NBA talent magnet.

"In terms of free agency,'' Donnie says, "who doesn’t want to play with a Jason Kidd? Who doesn’t want to play with a Steve Nash? ... To have (combination of) two of the greats who (played) right here in Dallas, it’s going to make our recruiting efforts a lot smoother.”

Nelson's suggestion that Luka, 22, is part Kidd and part Nash - two former Mavs who are now in the Hall of Fame - is inarguable. What needs to be proven, starting this summer, when NBA free-agency shopping begins and Dallas has both cap room and Luka as Chief Recruiter ...

Will what once were "pipe dreams'' suddenly become reality?

Long-time MFFLs always hoped that the iconic Dirk Nowitzki would draw other players to Dallas. That, however, never quite happened in terms of superstar signings. Dirk, by virtue of his personality, was never quite comfortable with the idea of being Chief Recruiter. And Donnie adds another reason why the Mavs' set-up is now different.
Luka's situation is a little different because he's so young, but yeah, I've long since stopped kidding myself about stars wanting to come to Dallas just because we have a superstar for them to play sidekick to.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Luka's situation is a little different because he's so young, but yeah, I've long since stopped kidding myself about stars wanting to come to Dallas just because we have a superstar for them to play sidekick to.
Yeah I think that's overrated too

How many stars went to Houston to play with Harden? But their GM was aggressive and found players to add to the team. Plus the organization was outstanding at developing young players to make them attractive to add to deals

I like Carlisle as a coach. BUT he has his style and that doesn't really involve playing youngsters. That was great when it was Dirk and we had the veteran guys who were capable of carrying their share of the load. But the veterans we have now are not the same caliber of Terry/Kidd/Marion/Chandler/Barea

There needs to be an organizational program to develop young players and Carlisle either has to buy in or be replaced. I really hate that it comes to that but we HAVE to have a continuous wave of young players to supplement the huge contracts of Porzingis and Luka (soon)
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:27 AM   #3
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Yeah I think that's overrated too

How many stars went to Houston to play with Harden? But their GM was aggressive and found players to add to the team. Plus the organization was outstanding at developing young players to make them attractive to add to deals

I like Carlisle as a coach. BUT he has his style and that doesn't really involve playing youngsters. That was great when it was Dirk and we had the veteran guys who were capable of carrying their share of the load. But the veterans we have now are not the same caliber of Terry/Kidd/Marion/Chandler/Barea

There needs to be an organizational program to develop young players and Carlisle either has to buy in or be replaced. I really hate that it comes to that but we HAVE to have a continuous wave of young players to supplement the huge contracts of Porzingis and Luka (soon)
I still think Carlisle is a great coach. Elite, even. However I also agree that he is not the ideal fit for a young team and is far better off coaching a team full of veterans. I'm withholding judgement on the current batch of rookies though, because he honestly just might be right about them not being ready. If we don't see something out of them next season though, either he's not the right coach for them, or they're just not any good, or both. And that's a scary possibility, because you're right, we have to have good young players coming in, or we're screwed.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:27 AM   #4
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

After watching Josh Green play last night, I’m reminded once again that facilitating a trade with the Pistons, or getting a team to take salary off our books would have required giving up Green.

Ultimately, a lot will simply depend on how Green pans out. If he works on his ballhandling and shooting, his ceiling is a Jaylen Brown-type. Obviously it’s better to have Brown than Wood.

For now, I don’t think I’m comfortable stating that the Mavs front office has missed out on any opportunities. But to prove me right, Carlisle will need to give some more leeway to our rookies.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
R28J

R28J is a jewel in the roughR28J is a jewel in the roughR28J is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
After watching Josh Green play last night, I’m reminded once again that facilitating a trade with the Pistons, or getting a team to take salary off our books would have required giving up Green.

Ultimately, a lot will simply depend on how Green pans out. If he works on his ballhandling and shooting, his ceiling is a Jaylen Brown-type. Obviously it’s better to have Brown than Wood.

For now, I don’t think I’m comfortable stating that the Mavs front office has missed out on any opportunities. But to prove me right, Carlisle will need to give some more leeway to our rookies.
Hopefully the 4min in the 2nd QT last night continues. RC did have good things to saw about Green last night in the post game interview.
R28J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by R28J View Post
Hopefully the 4min in the 2nd QT last night continues. RC did have good things to saw about Green last night in the post game interview.
Is it just me, or do the Mavs appear to "correct" at times after the fanbase creates an uproar over what (to us) appear to be "obvious" issues - like getting younger players some playing time for evaluation and development?

Last edited by turin; 03-30-2021 at 04:04 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:10 PM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Is it just me, or do the Mavs appear to "correct" at times after the fanbase creates an uproar over what (to us) appear to be "obvious" issues - like getting younger players some playing time for evaluation and development?
I can't bring myself to imagine Rick giving a flying F.

But I know Cubes looks at social media and responds. Maybe he checks forums too.

There have been a few "coincidences" that I have also noticed.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #8
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post

I’m not getting too excited about Green because I wasn’t crazy about the pick to begin with. However I don’t fault the Mavs off-season strategy of acquiring several defensive wing defenders to see if any of them stick. Unfortunately none of them have so far and we just dumped two of them.

Green, Hinton, and Bey’s lack of involvement this season has made them completely unplayable in the POs so now we are limited to DFS, JRich and Maxi as our only useable wing defenders going into the post season. I find that a little concerning for a team that has aspirations to get past the first round of the POs.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:19 PM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I’m not getting too excited about Green because I wasn’t crazy about the pick to begin with. However I don’t fault the Mavs off-season strategy of acquiring several defensive wing defenders to see if any of them stick. Unfortunately none of them have so far and we just dumped two of them.

Green, Hinton, and Bey’s lack of involvement this season has made them completely unplayable in the POs so now we are limited to DFS, JRich and Maxi as our only useable wing defenders going into the post season. I find that a little concerning for a team that has aspirations to get past the first round of the POs.
Aren't most people faulting the Mavs because they drafted guys that never get to play? At least that's what I've seen. I'm not sure anyone faults them for trying with Jrich and Johnson.

You're right that now those 3 rooks are basically unplayable in POs.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote