Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas vs the French

Gimme some game reports once they are done.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dallas vs the French

So is this the summer league team already starting? I'm confused, I thougth the pro summer league started on the 6th or so.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

This was supposedly some exhibition games. Similar to the Mav summer league team playing the Chinese last year.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...But that seemed to occur I thought after the summer league team had at least been formed. Do we even have a roster?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #5
Bayliss

They announced it a little while ago. Let me grab it from LMF....

Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate College Yrs. Pro
Devin Harris G 6-3 185 2/27/83 Wisconsin ‘05 R
Filiberto Rivera G 6-2 175 9/28/82 Texas El-Paso '05 R
Josh Powell F 6-9 225 12/5/83 North Carolina State ‘03 1
Marquis Daniels G 6-6 200 1/7/81 Auburn '03 1
Didier Ilunga-Mbenga C 7-0 220 12/30/80 Congo 1
Derek Hood F -- -- -- -- --
Felipe Lopez G 6-7 -- -- St. John's --
Michael Harris F 6-6 240 6/15/83 Rice '05 R
Darius RIce F 6-10 215 10/16/82 Miami ‘05 R
Pavel Podkolzin C 7-5 260 1/15/85 Russia 1

Head Coach: Avery Johnson, Southern

Assistant Coach: Rolando Blackman - Kansas State '81

Mavs Secondary Summer League Roster:

Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate College Yrs. Pro
Keith Langford G 6-4 215 9/15/83 Kansas ‘05 R
Dave Logan G 6-1 170 12/26/82 Indianapolis '05 R
Sung-Yoon Bang G 6-5 193 6/3/83 Seoul, Korea R
Roger Powell F 6-6 235 1/15/85 Illinois '05 R
Hector Romero -- -- -- -- -- R
Darren Brooks -- -- -- -- Southern Illinois R
Deji Akindele C 7-1 240 4/2/83 Chicago State '07 R

Head Coach: Paul Mokeski, Kansas ’79
Old 07-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

Thanks bayliss.. obviously my horizons need to be broadened, I thought everything was here at dm.com.

Josh Powell. He seems familiar, I think he was with the mavs earlier. Felipe Lopez I think as well.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #7
Bayliss

Josh Powell was the guy that the Mavs brought in a couple of years ago to play in the summer league. Felipe Lopez was the guy that the Mavs brought in for training camp and preseason games.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

And looks like josh decided to take a pass. good, he needs a dedicated outside shooting coach.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
Bayliss

Langford, Rivera to try hands with Mavs' summer-league team

Undrafted players from Kansas, UTEP expected to join summer team

09:48 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 29, 2005

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks will have at least one high-profile local product on their summer-league team, getting a commitment from former North Crowley standout Keith Langford on Wednesday.

The 6-4 Langford was second-team all-Big 12 as a junior and senior at Kansas, where he finished in sixth on the all-time scoring list. He averaged 14.4 points last season, shooting 35 percent on 3-pointers and 46.5 percent overall.

In addition, the Mavericks expect to sign Filiberto Rivera, a 6-2 point guard from UT-El Paso.

"We think he's an interesting player," said Donnie Nelson, president of basketball operations. "And we always want to take care of our local guys like Keith."

Josh Powell, who was on the summer team two years ago, also will be on this year's team. The Mavericks expect to have 10 to 12 players on the team that will compete at the Reebok Las Vegas Summer League starting Wednesday. The team has an exhibition set for Saturday against the French junior team that will be playing in the Global Games.

Pavel Podkolzin, a 7-5, second-year center, is expected to join the team on Saturday or Sunday after getting married in Russia.

HA! Yall thought I was crazy! So who's got the scoop on the action?
Old 07-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't open to the public...
Old 07-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dallas vs the French

Taken from todays FWST. Since the scrimmage took place on the practice court, I assume it wasn't open to the public. Not sure if David Lord or Fish or the like were invited or not.

Summer league

The Mavs are putting the finishing touches on their summer league team and will begin workouts today at American Airlines Center.

After a morning practice, the Mavs will face the French national team in an afternoon scrimmage on the AAC practice court.

The Mavs will resume practices Sunday under the direction of coach Avery Johnson and leave Tuesday for the Reebok Summer Pro League in Las Vegas.

Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris, DJ Mbenga and Pavel Podkolzin are the members of the active roster on the summer league team.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the Fundamentally Sound Justin Brown? No summer league roster is complete without the fundamentally sound Justin Brown.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #13
Bayliss

Damn. I was hoping someone got to see Pavel Live and Unplugged.... coming back to report that he was simply outstanding.

Truthfully, out of every Mav on the roster that was here last year... Pavel intrigues me the most in summer league. I just want him so bad to be Gheorge Muresan. A guy that changes the game for about 20 minutes because of his size, ability to block shots, and score in the post. Big Georghe used to give the Bullets all that.

As for the newcomers... I want to see that Rice kid pan out. He sounds tenacious.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:26 PM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Darius RIce F 6-10 215 10/16/82 Miami ‘05 R
Interesting name...nephew of the great receiver. After seeing him dominate the McDonald's All-American game I was sure he'd be a lottery pick...for some reason he never got better in college.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:29 PM   #15
Bayliss

Actually I was referring to Michael Harris... you know that Rice kid? Geez, Dirno! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2005, 11:39 PM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Actually it was a coincidence...I made my post before I saw yours...I was just surprised to see the name Darius Rice pop up.

As for Michael Rice, I saw him play at SMU this year. While he killed my Mustangs, he didn't strike me as an NBA player. I didn’t see the athleticism that a player of his size would need. Time will tell…
Old 07-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #17
VivaNajera
Golden Member

VivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of light

I was there, no one really looked that impressive, they played 4 10 min quarters, mavs won by about 7
VivaNajera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #18
dashthemavfan13

dashthemavfan13 is on a distinguished road

Any other details you have for us? Even though no one stood out, how did Pavel, Harris, Daniels, and the gang play? And who was the best player on each respective team for the game you think?
dashthemavfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:08 AM   #19
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

You were there? really? And how did you get in to a closed practice???????????
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:48 AM   #20
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Josh Powell was supposedly an athletic, 6'9" tweener forward. I think some mocks had him at the bottom of the first round before he fell out of the draft. I was glad the Mavs picked him up, but he didn't impress last year. He played in the NBDL last year and maybe he's improved... we could use a guy like that at the end of the bench.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #21
VivaNajera
Golden Member

VivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of light

the mavs started with dj, devin, quis, powell, and cant remember the fifth guy. Every five minutes the mavs would sub in a new 5. Pavel struggled with catching the ball early on and got stripped a few times for bringing the ball down. I think the coaches got onto him at hte half as he began to play alot stronger in the post. However the French team didnt pose any big guys that would compare to nba big men. Quis played well and broke the D down from the top of the key like he has down in the past and had a few and one's. None of the free agents signee's did anything to stand out. There was alot of sloppy play but that is kind of expected since these guys havent played together. Avery wasnt there, Popeye, Ro, Charlie Parker and Paul M where present
Old 07-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #22
dude1394
Guru

Did 'quis continue to force up shots or did it look like he was looking to pass out when doubled?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #23
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

How did DJ play?

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #24
VivaNajera
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Did 'quis continue to force up shots or did it look like he was looking to pass out when doubled?
He ahd some nice drives and dishes, one that I rememeber was to DJ whose man went to cover Quis and Quis passed it to Dj who through down a nice dunk.

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
How did DJ play?
As for DJ, defensively he is trying to block every shot still and picked up some chesp fouls that way. He had a few nice post movesbut couldnt finish
Old 07-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

Viva!! Thanks.. Quis could really be something if he'd get it in his mind that assists are a good thing. DJ Benga... Heh.... Someone is going to really have to find a way to get some basketball savvy into his head.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #26
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I like the report that VivaNajera is giving of Marquis Daniels. I'm thinking this could be his big bounce-back year.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:27 AM   #27
Romus

Romus is infamous around these partsRomus is infamous around these parts

Samedi 2 juillet 2005 – 17h30 (00h30 en France)
« Summer Player » Dallas Mavericks – France : 72 – 63 (20-17, 19-16, 15-19, 18-11)

Les marqueurs français
DIAWARRA 11
DIARRA 10
DARRIGAND 8
BRUN 7
SCHMITT 6
BARDET 5
DUBIEZ 5
KOFFI 4
SOLIMAN 4
ZIANVENI 3
ESSART 0
Romus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

That first summer team is interesting. That second one is going to suck.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote