Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of
Default Mavs at the Trade Deadline ... Ideas, Rumors, Thoughts ....Where do they fit?

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1323

Mavs Searching For 'Gasol-Like' Bargain

Cuban: 'It's Possible' - And That's Enough For Us To Explore Rumors

By David Lord -- DB.com

The Mavs have cash, needs and a track record of lavish spending. Logic told us several weeks ago about Phoenix owner Robert Sarver wanting to do deals to sink his Suns below the tax threshold; now it's accepted as fact that owners all across the league – having been kicked in the teeth by the economy -- have joined him in wanting to downsize payroll.

So what is this year’s version of the Pau Gasol-to-LA steal? Will one be out there? And how do the Mavs get in on it? DB.com’s Mike Fisher posed that very question to Mavs owner Mark Cuban:

“It’s possible,’’ Cuban told us. “It's hard to say it can be along the lines of a Pau Gasol deal, though, because there aren't many Pau Gasols out there, are there?''

With that “possibility’’ as my jumping-off point, some stream-of-consciousness Mavs-related NBA trade thoughts – all with the goal of Dallas “winning’’ at the negotiating table:

*Trade buzz is everywhere, owners and teams are in financial disarray, and star players are rumored to be available. At the top of my wish list for the Mavs? It hasn’t changed in the last few weeks despite all the added names – it’s still Shaq. Who else can bring both a physical presence and dominant low-post scoring to a club that needs much more of both?

Why Shaq? His contract runs out by 2010 and he’s playing at a top level. He still changes the game when he’s on the court. And he’d complement Dirk perfectly both in his play and his demeanor.

My earliest ideas theorized that PHOENIX badly needed to make a change, and Shaq and Matt Barnes for Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse would be a deal that would make Amare, Nash, and Suns’ fans ecstatic over a return to their up-tempo style, while putting an extra $30M or more (from lower payroll, lower tax, and additional NBA welfare) into the pocket of frugal Suns’ owner Sarver over the next 1+ seasons. (Let me say that again, so its impact in this economy isn’t lost: $$ Thirty Million Dollars Extra $$) At the time, it seemed like a logical idea, with Dallas getting Shaq, and Phoenix gaining not only J-Ho but also landing two huge upgrades by reaping re-energized versions of Amare and Nash for what they have now. Unfortunately, the ensuing talk out of Phoenix was that the Suns’ brass preferred the Shaq style attack.

But the times they are a-changin’.

Only weeks later, the whole NBA is competing for any cash-increasing deals they can land, the Suns are now in all-out seller mode, and reports say they now would love to keep the younger Amare and unload Shaq if only they could find a taker.

* But if I’m sitting at that negotiating table now – with only nine days to go until the Feb. 19 deadline – I’m driving a hard bargain. How much do the Suns want to move money? Top off the trade with the aging-but-still-very-effective Grant Hill who would fit hand-in-glove into the Mavs in place of J-Ho, and send back two young energy guys in his place (Green and Singleton) to supplement their restored running game after Shaq leaves. Oh and by the way, we don’t need any cash like others will demand if they eat such a lopsided deal financially, so instead you can drop us one of those No. 1 picks you’re always giving to others.

Your Bucket O’ Cash is awaiting, Mr Sarver, you might wanna sign here before we find a better offer.

* Would I want Amare? Of course. Sure there’s the knee and the immaturity and the lack of defense and the unfortunate background, as well as the contract that ends in 2010. But if the Suns really would rather trade Amare, and want a cousin of the above proposal (J-Ho and Stack) in exchange, sign me up. He's big, young, and talented.

The bigger issue would be, do I have enough young talent, expiring contracts and (gulp) draft picks to be involved? It depends on the Suns’ priorities. If they primarily want young talent and picks – and that’s the word -- they’ll probably shop elsewhere. (Like, um. … Portland? I hate to say I told you so, but. …) But if the Suns are mostly shopping for Money For Sarver, they might like to shop here: they can include Leandro Barbosa, who is a bit overpaid and whose contract stretches beyond 2010, along with Matt Barnes and reap that $30M+ windfall that begins by shaving their current payroll by over $5 million and immediately putting them under the tax threshold for 2008-09. How would those pieces fit in Dallas? Who cares! We'll make 'em work, just do the dang deal.

* NEW ORLEANS -- talented but in reported cash trouble – is another prime place to look for a bargain. Reports are everywhere that they are ready to dump a major contract (and the talent that goes with it) if someone will take one.

* Tyson Chandler? He is said to be very available. Interesting. He’s young and big and mobile. Check, check, and check. Are there question marks? Yep. They range from a giant contract to questions of how much effectiveness he would lose without Chris Paul spoon-feeding him gimme baskets.

While a young effective big man is hard to find, all things considered I’d still rather have Shaq if I can have either. Why Shaq over Chandler? O’Neal might come cheaper. He’ll be off the books for 2010. And for a short term – which is all that matters right now – he is a greater force.

* Who else from New Orleans? Can Dallas get Peja in a salary dump? I bet so – though that clogs up the 2010 plan. The more I consider this one, the more lukewarm I am about it. But it has to be looked at.

* I strongly prefer the Mavs shoot for a difference-maker as opposed to a “plug-in’’ or yet another eighth man. There are rumors everywhere that you can shop for a giveaway of some of the SACRAMENTO players like Udrih, Brad Miller, and maybe even Salmons, but in the long run does any of that do more than move the Mavs up the ladder a couple of slots in the West for the next few years?

* I have no reason to think he’s available. But I look at the expensive payroll of the WASHINGTON Wizards, see them mired in the basement and having nothing to show for all that expense, and wonder if they’d let go of Caron Butler for an aggressive offer combining savings and cheap kids.

* From Dallas’ end of things, keep an eye out for the dealing of Brandon Bass. On a talent level, he’s definitely turned into a keeper. But considering 2010, Bass is a less attractive signee for Dallas – and might be more valuable as an attractive young asset in a swap.

* Let’s go back to the widely-rumored idea of Udrih from the Kings. While he’s a decent backup, isn’t he their overpaid mistake? So if they want to move him (just like Dallas wanted to move Diop), yes, I’d do it – but only for the overpaid Matt Carroll. And that’s a good deal for Sacramento, because it subtracts about $10 million off their obligation for that mistake of a deal. And we believe Sacto is another franchise a bit tight on funds right now.

But if we’re looking at an overpaid, underperforming, backup PG, am I willing to erase that whole contract for them by using my Stackhouse Trade Chip? No way. In this economy, using that value for such a low return would be moronic.

* How about the payroll-strapped MILWAUKEE Bucks? Richard Jefferson-for-Josh/Stack? Not intriguing to me. What is the benefit other than to save the Bucks a pile of cash? For the Mavs, the talent swap is lateral while the payroll gets much bigger - and 2010 is erased too.

Now, if the Bucks want to include Villanueva and Sessions in the conversation too? Let's talk.

* The NEW JERSEY papers are discussing Vince Carter to Dallas. Would it involve J-Ho? Lateral. Without J-Ho? Obviously if the price is fairly cheap, it’s interesting. In terms of excitement, Vince represents a shot in the arm.

But there’s a bigger issue. My Nets’ contacts say that while Kidd would welcome Jefferson to Dallas, not so with Carter. Things between them had deteriorated severely by the time Kidd was traded; bringing Carter here, they say, would pose a significant chemistry problem.

* CHARLOTTE has almost completely remade its roster, and the Bobcats are actually on the verge of being talented. So I bet Raymond Felton -- despite the Tinsley rumor and despite Michael Jordan saying his pending free agency keeps everything open -- is slipping off the bargain table. Rats.

* I am well aware of those LA CLIPPERS trade ideas that ask for J-Kidd. They don’t interest me (because I think Kidd's presence is a key to future short-term success). But if they are just looking for any expiring contract (like Stackhouse) and want to move some talent, let’s talk. Chris Kaman? If he’s a giveaway, yes, I’m interested despite the injuries. The Baron Davis part of the rumor does nothing but lock me into a financial cage for four years.

* I’m more interested in Camby, though. And you know, when we talk “NBA Salary Dump,’’ the Clippers are pretty much the first and last word.

* Remember our idea of a swap with HOUSTON, bringing McGrady for Josh Howard and filler? The Rox are in disarray (in their last 10 games with the team now at full strength, they've lost to Indy, NY, Philly, Memphis, and Milwaukee), and said to be actively looking at altering the mix. But having seen the footage of TMac's pathetic attempt to dunk the ball (and unable to get the ball past the bottom of the rim), ouch! I take that one back. One play isn't everything, but it's symptomatic of his huge decrease in athleticism that has reached major proportions now.

If Houston calls trying to peddle TMac, hang up the phone and run away.

* Would the Rockets try to move Artest in an attempt to clean up their chemistry (he and T-Mac reportedly have "ongoing issues" between them)? Maybe so. And despite the drama that always follows Ron-Ron, if the price is cheap, I'm interested. Last summer, I believe the Mavs discussed Stackhouse-Bass for Ron. Now? I'm hesitant to send Bass to Houston, because his stock is up and Artest's is down. But in Artest, we are talking about a difference-maker here. And shouldn’t that be the point of Dallas’ deadline-dealing?

* If teams are coveting Stackhouse (for his expiring contract, of course) – and I think they are -- the Mavs have an upper hand of sorts. In the whole process, let's hope above all else the Mavs are disciplined. If they don’t get a difference-making deal for Stackhouse right now? Then wait. He’s not an expiring deal whose window of opportunity is closing. In the draft-time market in June and the free-agent market in July, he’ll be a commodity that a team can acquire and immediately add another $5-7 million of spending room for the summer free-agent market (or to reduce payroll). That should make him even more valuable than he is right now.

* I hope we don’t see Dallas locking into the idea of a specific player acquisition and then – in classic “We Love Our (New) Team’’ fashion -- tossing cash and picks into the deal. I want the Mavs to make a trade. But I want them to “win’’ the swap, too.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I don't expect them to do anything, and it still boggles my mind that Cuban turned down Kidd for Baron Davis and Chris Kaman
Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Nice read, DLord.

If the Shaq deal is really on the table, you have to pull the trigger.

I would give Washington anything short of Kidd and Dirk for Caron Butler.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
I don't expect them to do anything, and it still boggles my mind that Cuban turned down Kidd for Baron Davis and Chris Kaman
I'd take Shaq/Barnes for Howard/Stack over Kidd for Davis/Kaman - maybe Cuban is thinking the same thing?

(I'm with DLord on this one - Shaq is one of those players who puts you over the top when you have guys like Dirk, Kidd & JET on your squad, not to mention that Barnes brings the same scrappy attitude that Stack used to...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'd take Shaq/Barnes for Howard/Stack over Kidd for Davis/Kaman - maybe Cuban is thinking the same thing?

(I'm with DLord on this one - Shaq is one of those players who puts you over the top when you have guys like Dirk, Kidd & JET on your squad, not to mention that Barnes brings the same scrappy attitude Stack used to...)
You make a good point Underdog. I wonder if Cubes would be thinking about trading with Phoenix though because I think that Howard/Stack trade for Shaq/Barnes would be great for both teams.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Link? Or is this just more unsubstantiated rumor?

In either case, I can completely understand why he did it. Baron and Kaman are both owed absurd amounts of money. Cuban doesn't want to handcuff this franchise for the next 5 years.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just not on the Baron Davis bandwagon, so I have to disagree w/ longsuffering. This is a guy who's been around for quite awhile, been the same guy for quite awhile, except for playing out of his mind under Nellie. Otherwise, very overpaid and lots of years left on his deal. And lots of teeth and beard.

A Shaq deal is right for Kidd/Dirk short term success.. right for completely retooling around Dirk after the run is over. Sign me up. This is my 7th year w/ season tickets and this year I've been seriously thinking about getting rid of them after next year and the All-Star game opportunities. That's the kind of energizing move that gets my interest level back up because it shows a real decision as far as long-term direction. I was in favor of the Kidd trade (and still am), but ever since then I've felt that this team's personnel has been straddled somewhere between win-now-at-all-costs and multi-year-plan.. you need to be in one camp or the other if you want to win it all.

Last edited by Rhylan; 02-11-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You make a good point Underdog. I wonder if Cubes would be thinking about trading with Phoenix though because I think that Howard/Stack trade for Shaq/Barnes would be great for both teams.
Good financially for Phoenix, not from a basketball standpoint unless you are talking about just the regular season. But Nash + Amare + Howard would never win a ring.

OTOH, a Kidd + Dirk + Shaq brings us closer into contention. It's all about the playoffs, baby.

Contact Me
Old 02-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I'd probably pull the trigger on Davis/Kaman, but I can definitely see the merits of saying no to such a deal. Two injury prone for with some pretty hefty contracts, and in no way would they guarantee us a title or anything.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Well if it's all about the playoffs we better make a move! We've looked much better lately but would anyone have confidence against us in the 1st round against the Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, or Nuggets? The most ideal situation would be for us to get a 4th seed and play a team like Portland or Houston. But all that would do is ensure us 1 playoff series win and a butt kicking by the Lakers. (F the Lakers)

Last edited by ghazi; 02-11-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Link? Or is this just more unsubstantiated rumor?

In either case, I can completely understand why he did it. Baron and Kaman are both owed absurd amounts of money. Cuban doesn't want to handcuff this franchise for the next 5 years.
I don't have a link but my brother says he saw it on Espn this morning, he said it was a quick segment where they said Cubes had just turned down the Clips offer of Kidd for Baron and Kaman. However, I don't mind if he turned down the trade if he's planning on doing the Howard/Stack for Shaq/Barnes trade. Can you imagine = Kidd, Terry, Barnes, Dirk, Shaq?! I don't wanna get my hopes up though.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Phoenix would be basically giving up all hopes if they do that trade. I don't see why they deal for Jho. I can see them moving some stuff but not for what we got.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
ghazi
Platinum Member

Phoenix is probably giving up all hope anyway, especially if they decide to trade Amare.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Good financially for Phoenix, not from a basketball standpoint unless you are talking about just the regular season. But Nash + Amare + Howard would never win a ring.
Nash/Amare/Howard might not win you a ring, but it would be an entertaining show to watch - entertaining enough to get people in the door anyway (and that's all you can hope for as an owner if money is tight...)

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #15
alby
Guru

Quote:
Nash/Amare/Howard might not win you a ring, but it would be an entertaining show to watch - entertaining enough to get people in the door anyway (and that's all you can hope for as an owner if money is tight...)
Exactly, it'll be a good move for Sarver and the Suns because apparently he only enjoys being regular season superstars.

If they are willing to give us Shaq, Cuban better be making some phonecalls. He already missed the opportunity to get Shaq once, let's not let it happen again.

Shaq is not the same player as before, but he's still pretty damn effective if you ask me.

Contact Me
Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #16
LSMF
Diamond Member

We could have 3 Hall of famers on one team. Kidd, Dirk and Shaq. Kidd making the plays, and hitting the occasional 3, Dirk Bombing away from the perimeter, Shaq dunking on opposing centers. I really hope Cubes and Donnie are trying to get this deal done.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #17
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Again I ask, are we willing to subject Dirk to 82 games (plus practices!) of Shaq's elbows?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #18
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

the shaq thing is interesting. i'd do shaq.

you know what i mean.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #19
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
He already missed the opportunity to get Shaq once, let's not let it happen again
I wouldn't say he "missed" the opportunity - LA was asking for Dirk in exchange, if I remember correctly...

Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
the shaq thing is interesting. i'd do shaq.

you know what i mean.
I'd "do" Cuban if he could figure out a way to acquire Shaq...

(what can I say? I'm willing to "take one" for the team...)

[wait...... what did I just type???]

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #21
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

They're waiting for a Gasol like bargain? What the hell do you consider Baron Davis and Chris Kaman for Kidd? They're looking for a trade where they can get rid of Stackhouse and in return get a guy like Gasol in here. It ain't happening. That Gasol trade was a fluke and will never happen again.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
They're waiting for a Gasol like bargain? What the hell do you consider Baron Davis and Chris Kaman for Kidd?
Weighing themselves down with a god awful contract and a couple of bad knees for years and years to come?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
alby
Guru

Quote:
They're waiting for a Gasol like bargain? What the hell do you consider Baron Davis and Chris Kaman for Kidd?
A bad move?

Contact Me
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #24
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

The more I look at the Shaq Trade the more I think it might happen. Getting Rid of Shaq would give PHX the flexibilty to demand more for Amare. They could even pull him off the table, let him play out the rest of the year in a run and gun system again to increase his trade value and move him in the offseason. PHX wants the money not the team, and with this trade PHX could still field a fairly exciting team for thier fans.

Stack/Howard for Shaq/Barnes. Do it. Also, does anyone else remember all those 3s Barnes killed us with, he might be more of the wekside 3 threat we have been needing.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #25
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
Also, does anyone else remember all those 3s Barnes killed us with, he might be more of the wekside 3 threat we have been needing.
God, yes - and that type of scoring ability would be more useful to the Mavs than Josh Howard's style if you have Dirk/Shaq/JET scoring the way they do...

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #26
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
I wouldn't say he "missed" the opportunity - LA was asking for Dirk in exchange, if I remember correctly...
You're right. But if the Suns agree on JHo/Stack for Shaq/Barnes (be it only for the sake of money issues, I don't care), I would definitely say Cubes should pull the trigger. C'me on, Kidd/Wright(Terry)/Barnes/Dirk/Shaq.... That's a lineup...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #27
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Weighing themselves down with a god awful contract and a couple of bad knees for years and years to come?
What does money have to do with anything? They're not going to attract any free agents and putting your future into that 2010 free agency class is just begging for failure.

Quote:
The more I look at the Shaq Trade the more I think it might happen. Getting Rid of Shaq would give PHX the flexibilty to demand more for Amare. They could even pull him off the table, let him play out the rest of the year in a run and gun system again to increase his trade value and move him in the offseason. PHX wants the money not the team, and with this trade PHX could still field a fairly exciting team for thier fans.

Stack/Howard for Shaq/Barnes. Do it. Also, does anyone else remember all those 3s Barnes killed us with, he might be more of the wekside 3 threat we have been needing.
Your trading Howard for Shaq who's going to be out of the league in 2 or 3 years? Risky. As is the Davis and Kaman deal but its a risk you have to be willing to take if you can get in return a healthy Davis and Kaman.

Quote:
A bad move?
A bad move would be standing pat with this current team because they beat the Magic and a couple of teams that won't even be in the post season. We need help at the 5 and Kaman gives you that. We need a slasher and Baron healthy or not can give you that.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
You're right. But if the Suns agree on JHo/Stack for Shaq/Barnes (be it only for the sake of money issues, I don't care), I would definitely say Cubes should pull the trigger. C'me on, Kidd/Wright(Terry)/Barnes/Dirk/Shaq.... That's a lineup...
That lineup is worse than what the Suns are currently throwing out there with Nash, Amare, Shaq, Barbosa, Hill and J-Rich. You still suffer at the 2 guard spot with no slasher and no perimeter defender aside from Kidd.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #29
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
They're waiting for a Gasol like bargain? What the hell do you consider Baron Davis and Chris Kaman for Kidd? They're looking for a trade where they can get rid of Stackhouse and in return get a guy like Gasol in here. It ain't happening. That Gasol trade was a fluke and will never happen again.
If your team aren't the Fakers, no

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #30
Underdog

Quote:
Your trading Howard for Shaq who's going to be out of the league in 2 or 3 years?
The idea is to "win now" - in two or three years, Dirk should have a ring... If that happens, who cares if Shaq retires?

Quote:
Risky. As is the Davis and Kaman deal but its a risk you have to be willing to take if you can get in return a healthy Davis and Kaman.
I think you're a LOT more likely to win a ring with Shaq than you are to see a HEALTHY Davis/Kaman (maybe one of them, but not both...)

Also - Kidd/Shaq >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Davis/Kaman

Quote:
A bad move would be standing pat with this current team because they beat the Magic and a couple of teams that won't even be in the post season.
Agreed - a trade definitely needs to be made, but let's not make a trade just for the sake of making a trade... Let's make a trade that puts us over the top (and Davis/Kaman STILL might not be enough to do that...)

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #31
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's going a lil too far in thinking that the Suns are happy or even remotely interested in being regular season stars. They traded for Shaq in a bold move to desperately change the way the team was doing things. I would love the trade for Shaq but man I wouldn't Dump a dominant center and scrappy SF for a troubled halftime disappearing act and an expiring if I were them. Maybe scratch that, hopefully it gets done somehow but I don't put all my eggs in that basket if I'm Cuban.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #32
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

Quote:
What does money have to do with anything? They're not going to attract any free agents and putting your future into that 2010 free agency class is just begging for failure.

Your trading Howard for Shaq who's going to be out of the league in 2 or 3 years? Risky. As is the Davis and Kaman deal but its a risk you have to be willing to take if you can get in return a healthy Davis and Kaman.

A bad move would be standing pat with this current team because they beat the Magic and a couple of teams that won't even be in the post season. We need help at the 5 and Kaman gives you that. We need a slasher and Baron healthy or not can give you that.
I don't understand why you think it is a pipe dream to get a freeagent in 2010. DFW is one of the top 10 markets in the leauge, we have an owner that wants to win and will spend money, the player amenities are first class, and we have been one of the most consistently good franchises this decade.

In reagrds ot Shaq being out of the league in 2 to 3 years, you are right but I would take 1 or 2 chamionships in the time frame. Plus when he comes off the books we have cap room. We trade away one good player and one on his way out. Howard is not a cornerstone of this franchise, a few years ago I thought he would replace Dirk as the #1 options but then he started getting in his own way, he has made his place in this league and it is a qoulity # 2 or #3 option.

Kaman and Davis are hurt quite a bit, and Davi has had a couple monster years on a team that inflates stats with lots of posessions. I like the idea of Kaman, but not Davis. Shaq gives us a 5 and Davis does not help with our need for a slasher hurt or not( it's pretty hard to slash in Steve Maddens and an Armani suit sitting on the bench).
Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #33
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Shaq is the only person you can add to this Mavs team (of all players in the NBA who could plausibly be available) that would put you in the position metaphysically to have any kind of chance to get past the Lakers between now and the time he retires.

The great train robbery for Gasol put the whole Western Conf behind the 8-ball.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #34
alby
Guru

Baron and Kaman are/were not the answers.

Contact Me
Old 02-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #35
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
The idea is to "win now" - in two or three years, Dirk should have a ring... If that happens, who cares if Shaq retires?
So Shaq is going to just come to this team and give us a ring? Just like he did for the Suns I suppose?
Quote:
I think you're a LOT more likely to win a ring with Shaq than you are to see a HEALTHY Davis/Kaman (maybe one of them, but not both...)

Also - Kidd/Shaq >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Davis/Kaman
26 and 29 year old>>>>>>>Two 36 year olds

Quote:
Agreed - a trade definitely needs to be made, but let's not make a trade just for the sake of making a trade... Let's make a trade that puts us over the top (and Davis/Kaman STILL might not be enough to do that...)
I agree. Don't just make a trade to do it but trading Kidd for Baron and Kaman isn't just making a trade just to do it. I think that's probably the best deal your going to be able to receive. Especially within your own conference.

Quote:
I don't understand why you think it is a pipe dream to get a freeagent in 2010. DFW is one of the top 10 markets in the leauge, we have an owner that wants to win and will spend money, the player amenities are first class, and we have been one of the most consistently good franchises this decade.
The pipe dream isn't getting the free agents to come here(though I think its debatable with our past history with not even stars but just role players). The pipe dream is that Wade, Lebron and all of these other guys are really going to leave their respective teams. Trust me i've seen this before. The free agent class gets hyped up and teams clear cap space to try and obtain these guys and they fall flat on their face when all of the free agents resign with their respective teams. There's only one guy who's a star who has a possibility of leaving his team and that's Chris Bosh. And even then I could see him resigning back with the Raptors because they simply can offer him the most money.

Quote:
In reagrds ot Shaq being out of the league in 2 to 3 years, you are right but I would take 1 or 2 chamionships in the time frame. Plus when he comes off the books we have cap room. We trade away one good player and one on his way out. Howard is not a cornerstone of this franchise, a few years ago I thought he would replace Dirk as the #1 options but then he started getting in his own way, he has made his place in this league and it is a qoulity # 2 or #3 option.
I'm just curious to why guys think we're a Shaq away from winning a championship. Especially since the Suns can't even win with the guy. If we trade for Shaq I hope there's another one in the works for another player. And that's if the Suns even trade Shaq. They can't get any better personnel wise. I guess they can try to get younger but then they're trading Nash and Shaq. I'm with SMC. It makes no sense for the Suns to do it.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #36
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
Shaq is the only person you can add to this Mavs team (of all players in the NBA who could plausibly be available) that would put you in the position metaphysically to have any kind of chance to get past the Lakers between now and the time he retires.

But the Suns currently suck with Shaq. There's not much different in personnel. Well other than the fact our talent is inferior to the Suns even without Shaq.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #37
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Baron Davis games played

2002-2003 - 50
2003-2004 - 67
2004-2005 - 46
2005-2006 - 54
2006-2007 - 63
2007-2008 - 82 (contract year)
2008-2009 - 38 (of 52 so far)

"Nuff said"

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-11-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #38
Underdog

Quote:
So Shaq is going to just come to this team and give us a ring? Just like he did for the Suns I suppose?
Ever hear of a team called the Miami Heat?

Quote:
26 and 29 year old>>>>>>>Two 36 year olds
By that standard, Yi is better than Dirk...

Quote:
I agree. Don't just make a trade to do it but trading Kidd for Baron and Kaman isn't just making a trade just to do it. I think that's probably the best deal your going to be able to receive. Especially within your own conference.
If it was the best deal we could receive, don't you think Cuban would have pulled the trigger??? (unless you believe Cuban is intentionally trying to make the Mavs worse?)

It would be insane to pay $109mil for two injury-prone players who still won't make us better than the Lakers...

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #39
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post

Haha, wouldn't it be justice if Shaq got to a real contender before it's all said and done...keeping Kobe from that ring and who knows by 2010, Bynum becomes a 20-12 guy or Portland becomes the real deal. I think these next 2 years are Kobe's best shot at it as the leader of his team, after that I see Bynum taking big role.

God, if Shaq comes here, wouldn't it bring up old memories of the late 80's, when was that 86 where we took the Lakers to 7.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #40
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Baron Davis games played

2002-2003 - 50
2003-2004 - 67
2004-2005 - 46
2005-2006 - 54
2006-2007 - 63
2007-2008 - 82 (contract year)
2008-2009 - 38 (of 52 so far)

"Nuff said"
Davis is about himself, he don't care about anything but his check. You don't want his attitude any where near your team.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"we like our team", aaaaarrrrggghhhhh, barack obama=precedent, break the bank, crack is bad, dammit horse, dirk 4 starbury, dirk for salmons! hooray, gay tags, grasping at straws, happy precedents day, i have a dream, i love jason kidd!!!!!!, it's all cuban's fault, josh 4 kobe, kidd>harris, longsufferingdouchebag, longsufferingharrisfan, longsufferingspamfag, make a trade, nitpickeverything, shaq 4 precedent, standing pat 1on1, tired head, yes we can!!!!